What about shows?

slpeters

DIS Veteran
I don't seem to hear a lot about the shows at Universal. Are they worth planning around? worth doing if you happen to be there? Are there don't misses and clear misses? Same for character interactions. It all seems very incidental. What are people's thoughts and experiences?

I paid no special attention to show times or places but they seemed to happen all around me anyway. I think I would pay more attention and plan to actually check some out on purpose next time. This extends to character meets too. So much more accessible than WDW in our experience.

We really enjoyed the Horror Make Up show .

We didn't end up making the Animal Show, Fear Factor, or Sinbad Stunt Show even with 3 days and Express so I can't help there . TBH- we could have made it happen, but we didn't make it a priority. Our kids wanted more time using their wands in HP, and DH and I wanted to do some favorite rides again.

Blues Brothers were a lot of fun.

We liked the Sinbad show. The Horror make up show was funny, not scary.

Horror makeup show is worthwhile.

I really liked the raptor encounter in Jurassic Park. Very well done, and fun to watch others' reactions.

The parade is cute but not a necessity.

Transformer meet looked cool but had a long line.

Dr. Seuss characters were out regularly and didn't seem to have lines more than 2-3 groups deep (or no line).

Thumbs up for all the shows. And if you can meet the Transformers, do it! Great interactions!
Universal isn’t Disney. Go with the flow. :) They do include the schedules in the paper maps at the park entrance and their app

Universal doesn’t have any elaborately staged shows like Disney- nothing along the lines of Nemo, Fantasmic, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, etc. Perhaps that’s why there’s not much talk. Some shows are still good though.

The Horror Show is excellent. I don’t watch horror movies but still enjoy the show.

If you like Harry Potter, the shows in Diagon Alley are good as well. Even if you don’t, Celestinia is still an excellent and entertaining singer. The frog choir seems to be hit and miss as far as quality of the singing.

I found the Sinibad stunt show to be boring and totally predictable.

The animal show is ok. It’s a bit predictable too, but, you know, it has tons of adorable animals...

For me, unlike at Disney, meeting the fur characters really feels like meeting someone dressed up. Obviously that’s what it is, but at Disney I can suspend reality and feel like it’s really that character come to life. I’ve never gotten that feeling with fur characters at Universal. Maybe it’s the fact that the costumes really look like a costume to me- obvious zippers and just not as high quality, particularly the Seuss costumes.

Meeting the Scooby Doo gang was awesome though- totally looked and acted like their ficitious counterparts, even just in how they reached their m&g spot.

Of course, this is all my personal opinion/experiences and others may completely disagree. :)

I’m at uo for a longer stay than others and always take in the shows and street entertainment

I have the time to catch all of them

Besides the ones already listed, have to add the Marilyn Monroe outdoors short show
Cute entertainment

The Horror Make Up Show is worth doing. Not only is it entertaining, you also get free air conditioning!

I wouldn’t worry about them if there are no children.

If you see a show about start and feel like sitting down, go ahead :)

I agree with others in this thread about Horror Make Up Show. It is a nice and pretty funny show.

Animal Actors is impressive, even though it is geared towards kids.

Sinbad is action packed but a bit long but some stunts are really cool. But it isnt anything you HAVE to do.

The parade is not at all for adults. So I would skip that 100%.

About the character interaction, it is about getting a good picture in my mind. I have never waited for more then 3 minutes in line to meet characters. So the same thing applies there: if you are walking around and see a short wait for a character you would like a picture with, jump right in :)

Horror make up show is awesome. I saw it again at end of February and the lady who was playing the lead was so funny. I wish I could remember her name.

Universal does a fantastic job with their extra events like Mardi Gras Celebration. The Mardi Gras parade floats where beautiful and there were plenty of beads thrown. They had Mardi Gras food booths.

They have Christmas parade, Celebration of Harry Potter etc.

Children and adults alike love to have there pictures taken with The Transformers.

The characters that are out and about Lucy, Betty Boop, Marilyn Monroe, Scooby Doo and gang, Simpson’s, Popeye,
Olive Oil, Hello Kitty, Barney, Baby Bop, Spider-Man and more ..... are all fantastic. These are wonderful actors and so fun to watch interact with people.

I’am so glad Universal is so Uniquely different from WDW. The characters are so easily approachable and lines have never been to long on my stays to interact with them.

The parades that occur during the day are very nice to watch.

Blues brothers show on street is a fun time.

Beat builders is a good show also.

There are concerts on the weekends now that have an nice line up of artists. Check it out on Universal Orlando Website.

Last edited:
Our favorite part about the Scooby Doo gang M&G is the actors interacting with guests. The people directly in front of us in line did not speak English. As they approached Shaggy, we were completely floored to hear Shaggy remain in character while speaking fluent Spanish!. Universal has some highly talented employees!

Shows are an outstanding option for two things....sitting for a spell.....cooling off for a bit. Don't underestimate their rejuvenating powers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter