West Virginia State Law on DVC reselling AKV Timeshare

I live in WV also and this just came up on a new contract we were trying to purchase for AKV. Outside of booking a cheap flight down to sign the deal there was no way we saw to resolve the issue.

I am also intrigued why this doesn't affect resale purchases. I am currently in the process of buying 160 points for AKV via resale. This has not been brought up yet as an issue. Hopefully it remains that way.

I am also intrigued why this doesn't affect resale purchases. I am currently in the process of buying 160 points for AKV via resale. This has not been brought up yet as an issue. Hopefully it remains that way.

I'm thinking that it doesn't affect resale purchases because you are buying from a person and not from a business (DVD) so the law doesn't apply.

Can you just buy it via the resale market, or would that be blocked as well? People at the timeshare store would know for sure.

You can be from anywhere and purchase resale. Disney has to be registered in your state or country in order for you to purchase from home. When I worked for Disney from 1999 to 2001 I remember they were not registered in Nebraska. Not sure of the current states where they are not registered.

You can be from anywhere and purchase resale. Disney has to be registered in your state or country in order for you to purchase from home. When I worked for Disney from 1999 to 2001 I remember they were not registered in Nebraska. Not sure of the current states where they are not registered.

Yeah... this plus the newly announced minimum direct points increase for benefits is what has us extremely upset. We were willing to buy 50 direct AKV points today in addition to the 160 we are currently purchasing through resale and yet we cannot. Thus we lose out on the opportunity to purchase direct points at our home resort until we are back on property at which time we will have to buy 75 if we want the benefits (AP, dinings, etc) of DVC membership.

It happens from time to time, especially on the “sold out” properties. DVC has to keep renewing their license to sell each property in each state.

For a property that they don’t sell much of, it’s not worth the time and effort for the company.

It’s frustrating for all involved, but the process of selling real estate is filled with rules and laws. Disney is going to follow them to a t.

Many times, a state will change something and then Disney has to react very quickly to it, which usually ends up with a sale stop until everything is nailed down.

Resale does not matter since you are not purchasing from the developer.

It happens from time to time, especially on the “sold out” properties. DVC has to keep renewing their license to sell each property in each state.

For a property that they don’t sell much of, it’s not worth the time and effort for the company.

It’s frustrating for all involved, but the process of selling real estate is filled with rules and laws. Disney is going to follow them to a t.

Many times, a state will change something and then Disney has to react very quickly to it, which usually ends up with a sale stop until everything is nailed down.

That's where I feel it sucks though... Disney makes you have to purchase direct to get certain benefits, however even in this case when you want to throw your money at them you can't and thus are essentially penalized because of where you live. We wouldn't be wanting these points as badly if we didn't believe significant savings existed that would benefit us long term.

We've literally sat here considering a one day trip within the next two weeks to purchase these points on-site.

DVD is a timeshare developer and the laws about developers is very specific in Florida, a state that has had big timeshare issues. Resale brokers aren't developers so the laws are different. In addition DVD has to file for a license in the states where the buyers live if the want to sell to them there. Not worth keeping a license current if there are a few possible buyers and they want you to buy new resorts that makes them more money.

:earsboy: Bill

This is apparently an issue for non-US buyers as well - if buying direct, they have to buy onsite. If buying resale, they can do the transaction over email/mail, etc. This is only an issue buying DIRECT.
Not necessarily so. They are licensed in a number of countries UK certainly , Australia I think.
I don't know why OP is stressing- save a lot of money anyway and buy resale. The WV legislature just saved you a lot of money!

Not necessarily so. They are licensed in a number of countries UK certainly , Australia I think.
I don't know why OP is stressing- save a lot of money anyway and buy resale. The WV legislature just saved you a lot of money!

I'm not the original poster but in my scenario I am looking to add on a direct contract to my resale contract for AKV in order to avoid the point jump at the end of this month for membership benefits. I can't do that however due to this rule for AKV. My only option would be to buy 50 points for Aulani or Poly, or 75 for Copper Creek, all of which hold a much greater price and I would have rather had the points be at AKV.

If you're trying to buy direct from DVC, it sounds like they may no longer be licensed to sell AKV points to WV residents. I have no first-hand knowledge of how the licensing process works, but developers must register individually with every state in order to market to its residents. Perhaps WV requires some periodic re-licensing process and DVD elected not to do so for AKV.

This is true. It takes time, a lot of legal work, and money to register in each and every state DVD registers in. And some states have very, very restrictive real estate/TS laws. VERY.

DVD won't send the paperwork to a state they are not licensed in

Yes. You can take this one to the bank!

In fact when they initially started selling either VGF or PVB they weren't registered in all states! Anyway - resale is your way to go for AKV.

It has been this process since DVC started. They have to go through the process of registration. When I first purchases way back in the early 90's, I could not even call and get any questions answered on DVC as I lived in an unregistered state. I was calling and asking for it but they legally could not talk to me. I HAD to be in Florida to get info and/or purchase.

Not necessarily so. They are licensed in a number of countries UK certainly , Australia I think

Even in the U.K., not all areas are registered. Little places like the Isle of Man and the Shetland Islands are not registered. I do not think Australia is registered, but I would have to ask to know for certain.

So quick update... My wife wrote a very nice email to Disney outlining our situation and the unfortunate nature of this law. It apparently got to a high executive and then trickled its way down through the DVC Sales and Legal Team. Long story short they are letting us send closing paperwork to our Ohio business address and sign everything there. We now have a 50pt. direct contract at AKV and will add our resale contract to it when complete.

Very pleased with how Disney responded to this and showed they cared about the purchase (...and obviously the $$$).

We live in WV. Own a BLT 200 pt resale contract which we bought in June 16. In January we wanted a 75 point direct contract for BLT. Both Feb use year. We were told we would be put on the wait list. Then a week later they called us and said we were ineligible to buy. So we're now in the process of buying another resale contract. This one has 100 points.

So quick update... My wife wrote a very nice email to Disney outlining our situation and the unfortunate nature of this law. It apparently got to a high executive and then trickled its way down through the DVC Sales and Legal Team. Long story short they are letting us send closing paperwork to our Ohio business address and sign everything there. We now have a 50pt. direct contract at AKV and will add our resale contract to it when complete.

Very pleased with how Disney responded to this and showed they cared about the purchase (...and obviously the $$$).

I wonder if the same would work for a mailing address (not a business one) outside of WV.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter