We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

So jealous you are headed back to WDW in November!!

I'm so excited. Props to the folks on the budget board here, it helped me figure out how to pay for a lot of it with points. Plus, it let me make lemonade out of our PITA Belize flights. Wins all around.

Beautiful pictures! I keep saying I want to get back to SF and run along that area

You totally should. I wasn't a runner growing up and we lived south of SF for most of my life, anyways, so this was really my first chance to run that area, and it was awesome.

Yay for booking your WDW trip! The location of Swolphin is great - walk (depending on how far you're willing to walk) or boat to DHS and Epcot.

So glad you said this! We tend to find it easier to walk when we're with our kiddo because we don't have to load/unload the stroller, so this is great to hear. We skipped DHS on our last trip (which was the only trip we've had to date), so I'm excited to check it out.

the walkability to Epcot - esp in the evening with little ones in a stroller (sleeping) -
Is our new favorite resort location.

Awesome, your post made me even more excited! November still seems so far away! The only time we spent in EPCOT was for a quick dinner at Monsieur Paul, and our planned exploration of the Showcase was cut short by torrential rain and lightening, so it'll be fun to get back there. I anticipate lots of meals there--which is the entire reason we splurged on park hoppers this trip.

What a great route. I just saw Giants stadium on the Amazing Race last week and though it was nice time my first thought was 'that looks like a nice place to run' glad to hear my thoughts were confirmed.

I like the resorts in that area and while I've never stayed at Swolphin I feel you can't beat the location.

Such a nice place to run. Especially early in the morning. Only other ballpark that Iv'e been to with near as pretty of a location/view is Pittsburgh. And (because I'm biased), I think AT&T has that beat.

OK, running update to come. Not much to update this week, I've been sick.

Monday Training Update (Week 6): Week Ending 2/25

This was the plan for the week:
M - 3 @ EA
Tu - 4.5 @ EB + strides
Th - 1 @ WU, 2x1600 @ SPEED w/ .25 mi RI @ WU, 1 @ CD (completed Wednesday)
F - 5 @ EB + strides
S - 7 @ LR

Right up front: most of the week got derailed. I got my EA in when I got home from SF. @MoanasPapa and I both ran on a trail near the coffee place we like, though we didn't run together. We met up and had lunch after, and that was nice.

Then... I got sick. Kiddo was sick while I was in CA, and was diagnosed with bronchitis (bronchiolitis, to be exact). Wednesday I started to develop a sore throat and body aches while I was at work. I woke up to do my speed workout on Thursday but my throat still really hurt, and my body was achey. I did some googling while I was getting ready for my run and thought it might be best to skip this one, especially since I had a fever. I was really, really disappointed to scratch this one. It was to be my hardest speed workout before I switch to T-paces. And I was actually feeling really confident. I wanted to end that mini cycle on a high note. Instead, it ended with silence (or coughing, if you count that).

Same story Friday, although it was a more borderline call since I was feeling marginally better. I was in touch with Coach DB on Friday, and the plan was that if I missed the Friday run, too, I'd do an hour of easy running Saturday. So that's what happened. I got a little shy of five miles in (Strava says 4.9 @ 12:10/mi). It was foggy and humid out, and I thought maybe the moisture in the air might be good for me. Who knows if it was. I felt OK after, except my throat got really sore and I was tired.

Fast forward to last night: All packed up and ready to do my AM 3 miles @ EA outside. But then. I am up for hours coughing. I don't fall asleep until after 1:00 AM because of the coughing. So the 5AM wake up call for my run was unwelcome. And I wake up with chest tightness. I still debate about doing the run. After all, it's 3 miles at EA, my easiest pace. I decide my body needs sleep and I'll try to get a treadmill run in later in the day at work. Gym bag is packed already anyways. I spend all morning coughing at work and feeling like I'm having an asthma attack. I call my Doc, and am told it sounds like either bronchitis or pneumonia (I'm sure it isn't the latter), and that I have to be seen later today. Womp womp. I'm still debating hopping on the treadmill (and may or may not have googled running with bronchitis).

So sorry you're not feeling well! This has been such a terrible winter for sickness. Take care of yourself!

It really has! My whole team at work was sick last week at one point or another. Thanks for the kind words!

Hang in there, you'll get through this. Still got 12 weeks until race day, so I'm not worried.

Thanks, Coach. Hanging in, and not that worried about the race, more just irritated because I've come to feel weird physically when I don't run. So now I've had a lot of physically weird feeling days and I'm over it.

UGH. Sorry you're not feeling well. What a rough week! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

So sorry you are feeling ill. :( Best to rest up and get recovered and then catch back up on training though.

Alright. So I have a viral upper respiratory infection and acute bronchitis. The combination of the two in conjunction with my asthma make for a nasty and persistent cough and some chest tightness. How do we know the respiratory infection is viral? Because I also have conjunctivitis, a side effect of viral strains. There’s your fun fact o’ the day - I had no idea conjunctivitis could be anything but bacterial (ew).

Apparently I’m contagious. So. Whoops. Because I definitely went to work today. I’m to telework (rough life, I know) until at least Thursday, longer if I’m feeling not better “very fast.” Got a bunch of inhalers and OTC sinus meds to preempt sinusitis.

Interestingly, I CAN run with this. His caution was that my respiratory system is inflamed, so I need to make sure any running that I do doesn’t exacerbate the inflammation and make it harder to manage. I’m thinking I’ll pick back up with my 4.5 @ EB tomorrow, but may force myself to do it on the treadmill to make sure I don’t blow pace since my legs are fresh. I’m off Wednesday, so I can gauge how I feel at the end of that day before deciding what to do about my t-pace Thursday. My SPEED runs didn’t trigger any asthma events, so I have to image T would be ok, but maybe not since there’s already some inflammation? Who knows. I’ll see how things go and EB tomorrow and will make a more informed assessment then. But. Yay! I can run again!

I'm glad you're cleared to run - that's always good news.
The respiratory infection and bronchitis ... that's not such good news. Hopefully the inhalers and meds help - Feel better!

I ran outside today! I know I said I'd do the treadmill, but it's just so beautiful outside, and since I'm working from home, it was a good excuse to get out of the house. According to my Apple Watch, my average pace was 12:14, so within my margin of error - HOORAY!!! (Strava says something different - it always does... I tend to go by my watch).

I felt a little wheezy after the run... more than I should have given the speed. So definitely still recovering.

I'm glad you're cleared to run - that's always good news.
The respiratory infection and bronchitis ... that's not such good news. Hopefully the inhalers and meds help - Feel better!

Thank you! Inhalers are definitely giving some relief.

Monday Training Update (Week 6): Week Ending 2/25

This was the plan for the week:
M - 3 @ EA
Tu - 4.5 @ EB + strides
Th - 1 @ WU, 4 x .5mi @ T w/ 1 min RI, 1 @ CD (completed Wednesday)
F - 5 @ EB + strides
S - 8 @ LR

So just recapping Monday and Tuesday runs: I missed the three, but I did the 4 outside. Both were really nice, no complaints.

Thursday was my first workout with the T pacing. I did it on Wednesday because I was still home on doctor's orders, and I really felt like I needed to get up and DO something. I definitely thought that since I was coming off of a faster SPEED pace, the Ts would feel a little easier. They didn't. I definitely took for granted the full quarter mile resting intervals I had during SPEED workouts, which gave me MORE than enough time to catch my breath and clear some fatigue. A minute of RI was barely enough to catch my breath before the next one started. So the workout felt harder than I expected it to. But it was good mental stimulation and made the time on the treadmill go quickly.

Friday we had crazy wind storms here and it wasn't safe to run outside. So I did my 5 @ EB on the treadmill. Nothing to write home about.

My Saturday LR was outside. It was chilly, and I got a little more wheezy than I expected... I think there's still probably some junk in my lungs that didn't like the cold. The wind storm from Friday was mostly over, but there was definitely still some wind, and running in to strong headwinds was not my favorite, but I know it's good for my endurance. Pacing, according to my AppleWatch, was around 11:15/mi, which is about 30 secs/mi faster than it was supposed to be. Strava has it faster than that. I don't know why.

I looked at my running schedule for this week and feel like it just ticked up dramatically in terms of difficulty. My beloved, blink and they're done, 3 milers on Monday are now 4 milers. It would appear that I have TWO speed workouts this week, including a progression run on Thursday, and I have a SIX MILE tempo run PLUS 4 miles of WU/CD on Saturday.

200.gif

I'm also going to have to get creative with how I fit this all in, I'm on another cross-country flight this week for a bridal shower and bachelorette weekend. I'll figure it out.

Listen, my least favorite thing is when the 3 milers turn into 4 milers. It just one more mile but it's the worst added mile.

I don't have any T pacing runs yet on my plan, but the way all of you talk about them I'm already terrified. The current plan only takes us to our half marathon in April, so I'm a little scared to see what comes after that!

But, hey, that which doesn't kill us, right?

I don't have any T pacing runs yet on my plan, but the way all of you talk about them I'm already terrified. The current plan only takes us to our half marathon in April, so I'm a little scared to see what comes after that!

Don't be scared! The pace is totally doable, it just kind of crept up on me because I got cocky with those SPEED workouts. Serves me right.

Thursday was my first workout with the T pacing. I did it on Wednesday because I was still home on doctor's orders, and I really felt like I needed to get up and DO something. I definitely thought that since I was coming off of a faster SPEED pace, the Ts would feel a little easier. They didn't. I definitely took for granted the full quarter mile resting intervals I had during SPEED workouts, which gave me MORE than enough time to catch my breath and clear some fatigue. A minute of RI was barely enough to catch my breath before the next one started. So the workout felt harder than I expected it to. But it was good mental stimulation and made the time on the treadmill go quickly.

Yea, works slightly two different systems. Speed is focused on VO2max and T is focused on LT. So they'll help each other some, but not as much as you hope (as you found). Hitting the point of 2/3 hard runs so keep me informed if we need to drop back down to only 2 hard. I tried to keep the three hard weeks in check.

Not sure how I'd develop a T paced run for run/walk. I'd have to chew on that. My guess is that many of your current workouts are probably pretty close to T paced simulation runs without maintaining the pace for long enough.

I AGREE. This morning's run felt SO MUCH LONGER. Plus it's at EA, so it's already super slow.
Yeah, honestly the EA 4 mile run was just me half asleep while running when I was doing six days a week. I think that's why I never remembered running on Mondays.

I like the tempo (I assume is T?) runs. I feel really fast when I do them. And I'm more focused on maintaining my pace while not pushing it too fast so that makes it feel faster, you know in addition to actually being faster.

I like the tempo (I assume is T?) runs. I feel really fast when I do them. And I'm more focused on maintaining my pace while not pushing it too fast so that makes it feel faster, you know in addition to actually being faster.

The T runs @FredtheDuck is doing are Daniels Threshold pace (roughly 60 min race pace). The Tempo most are doing are HM Tempo (so a little bit slower relatively speaking) or M Tempo. But while the HM Tempo are slower, they are held for continuous pacing for much longer without rest (up to 60 min), whereas the Daniels T is held up to 20 min max (and more commonly in intervals ranging from 8 min to 15 min). I would certainly describe both as comfortably fast. I enjoy both of these types of paced runs. I'd say the Daniels T are more similar to your HMS runs you've been doing lately (HMS is just slightly slower relatively and close to 10 mile race pace). It would be Daniels T, HMS, and HM Tempo on a pacing spectrum from fast to slow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter