Welcome to Carbapalooza ~ Oct 2016 Dining Report - Completed 8/13 (Updates x18, OMG!)

Here, late, drooling! Glad to be caught up. Looks like an amazing lineup of yumminess, and I am so glad to see you review the most important part of any meal (the dranks! :drinking1)

I was thinking of reworking my schedule to fit Hollywood Brown Derby in again for lunch but I just don't think it would be worth it. A mixed bag of reviews for sure. (However, I am a weirdo solidly in the love-it-like-it's-served camp on the Cobb salad. Dressing and all)

Can't wait to read more!

Yaay for the Wontons! Those puppies are amazing. The sauce is heavenly. Glad you got the chance to partake.

I had the duck in Sept & really enjoyed it. But I don't remember those magic mushrooms. They must have swapped out the side because think I had some kind of stir-fry. Whenever I can get me some duck I do because I once tried to bake a whole duck in the oven and that was not a good experience. So not magical. Now I let anyone else do that duck for me!

We went back to Yak and Yeti last month after not having been there in a couple years and were very happy with our meals, glad you were, too! I agree though, weird looking naked shrimp :crazy: I will also admit that even though Steve commented once that he'd like to return to Y&Y and I told him that's why I booked it last month, the real reason I did it is because I wanted those wontons again :D I normally don't eat fruit either unless it's covered in chocolate, but covered in that sauce it's grrrrrreat!

Yak & Yeti
Animal Kingdom
Friday, October 22, 2016
Lunch

So despite having just eaten here on my last trip in December 2015, I had to come back for a do-over. I made some choice ordering mistakes (including passing over on the wontons for dessert), and I was given enough crap about it here on the DIS (ahem @kastoney ) to convince me to come back and correct my errors in judgement!

I started with a liquor drink, because day drinking while on vacation is always a good decision:

20161022_112531-1.jpg

Big Bamboo: Parriot Bay Coconut Rum, Don Q Cristal Rum, Banana Liquor, and Tropical Fruit Juices.

I struggled over what to order for my appetizer, but finally decided on...

20161022_112854-1.jpg

Firecracker Shrimp: Crispy fried shrimp in a creamy, spicy sauce (but I had them put it on the side because I'm a total wuss about spicy stuff).

These were super weird without the sauce, so even though it was spicy, I did end up using small amounts of it to give them some extra flavor!

20161022_114424-1.jpg

Bhaktapur Duck: Roasted half ducking, plum BBQ sauce, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables (of which I requested mushrooms only).

This was surprisingly delicious! I used the sauce mostly on the rice and mushrooms all mixed up, and it was perfect. The duck was crispy on the outside and juicy and tender inside, and the glaze on it was just lovely. I quite enjoyed this!

And then, of course, the MAIN EVENT...

20161022_120818-1.jpg

Fried Wontons: Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle.

Okay, fine. I concede. This were freakin' excellent. I'm not even a big fruit person, and enjoyed this. The wontons were perfectly warm and delicious, and the ice cream and vanilla sauce were the perfect compliment for them. FORMER MISTAKE RECTIFIED. Yum.
haha this is the review I was thinking of. No offense but those shrimp look really unappealing without the sauce. They look like they were coated in raw corn starch after the fact, lol. The sauce is QUITE spicy so I'm sure you made the right call (I do like spicy foods and still found it on the upper end of my tolerance level). But it hurt so good.

Yak & Yeti
Animal Kingdom
Friday, October 22, 2016
Lunch

So despite having just eaten here on my last trip in December 2015, I had to come back for a do-over. I made some choice ordering mistakes (including passing over on the wontons for dessert), and I was given enough crap about it here on the DIS (ahem @kastoney ) to convince me to come back and correct my errors in judgement!

I started with a liquor drink, because day drinking while on vacation is always a good decision:

20161022_112531-1.jpg

Big Bamboo: Parriot Bay Coconut Rum, Don Q Cristal Rum, Banana Liquor, and Tropical Fruit Juices.

I struggled over what to order for my appetizer, but finally decided on...

I like your style. YNY has some pretty good drinks.

DW and I were at WDW for F&W in November, and Yak and Yeti was probably our favorite food stop (other than Canada's F&W kiosk -- the steak and cheese soup are crazy good).

We were on the DDP+ for one night of our split stay and our server let us choose the ahi tuna nachos as our appetizer and then we split the Kalbi Steak and shrimp (both really good -- bonus was that we only used one meal credit). DW also loved the fried wontons. I let her finish the desert while I ordered a liquid dessert. As far as value goes, that meal "cost" us about $40 + tip with the meal plan, so it was a heck of a deal...and we were both pretty stuffed.

Crap???? What is this crap that you speak of? I am nothing but a sweet and gentle DIS friend who in only the kindest way helps to remind you of what you may be missing out on.

20161022_112531-1.jpg

Yum, Yum, and Yum!!! It may be 9am but with all that coconut, banana, and fruit juices that has to be good for morning, right?

20161022_112854-1.jpg

Firecracker Shrimp: Crispy fried shrimp in a creamy, spicy sauce (but I had them put it on the side because I'm a total wuss about spicy stuff).
And speaking of the aforementioned crap, this look like powdered sugar donut holes and not shrimp :-) Only you would order Firecraker shrimp with no actual firecrackers :P

20161022_114424-1.jpg

Bhaktapur Duck: Roasted half ducking, plum BBQ sauce, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables (of which I requested mushrooms only).

This was surprisingly delicious! I used the sauce mostly on the rice and mushrooms all mixed up, and it was perfect. The duck was crispy on the outside and juicy and tender inside, and the glaze on it was just lovely. I quite enjoyed this!
That ducks looks in the words of a very wise woman amazeballs!!!!! We have a famous Peking duck restaurant around here (you know people with last names like Obama and Bush like to eat there) and this is reminding me that I'm long overdue for a trip. The mushrooms I'l pass on though :-)

20161022_120818-1.jpg

Fried Wontons: Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle.

Okay, fine. I concede. This were freakin' excellent. I'm not even a big fruit person, and enjoyed this. The wontons were perfectly warm and delicious, and the ice cream and vanilla sauce were the perfect compliment for them. FORMER MISTAKE RECTIFIED. Yum.
I won't say I told you so, but.....

Your meal at Y and Y looks delicious aside from that albino-looking shrimp. But I guess since there is no sauce on it so it looks funny. I'm sure it tasted better than it looked. :)

The duck looks great...sounds like something I'd like as I like crispy-skinned ducks with a sweet sauce.

And that dessert! YUM!!

Jumping in! Glad you liked Texas de Brazil. we have one here and enjoy it a few times a year. We go at lunch cause it's the same menu at half the price :-)

Jumping on board! Enjoying your reviews so far!!
Hey, thanks! Sorry they're so few and far between. But, you know... Life and stuff!

I think this is my new #1 pet peeve after people who chew with their mouth open!!! Nobody else wants to hear your childs shows, or games in public. Heck even at home I make sure my grandkids use their headphones on their tablets because we all do not want to hear it.
Thank you so much for that! It honesty drives me CRAZY to have to listen to other people's media when I'm in a restaurant or coffeehouse. It's really one of the rudest, most self-centered things that I see on the regular.

I couldn't agree more. Glad you've now come to terms with your Y&Y dining experience! ;)
Yes indeed. All of my previous Y&Y wrongs have been righted.

Totally giving this a try on my next visit! Got to try that drink and the wontons!! The shrimp look frozen! Glad to read thy were cooked though! I've heard good things about the tuna nachos so that's what I want to try as a main dish when I go!
The drink and wontons were definitely the highlight of the meal!

Here, late, drooling! Glad to be caught up. Looks like an amazing lineup of yumminess, and I am so glad to see you review the most important part of any meal (the dranks! :drinking1)

I was thinking of reworking my schedule to fit Hollywood Brown Derby in again for lunch but I just don't think it would be worth it. A mixed bag of reviews for sure. (However, I am a weirdo solidly in the love-it-like-it's-served camp on the Cobb salad. Dressing and all)

Can't wait to read more!
I've learned to take reviews subjectively. I avoided Coral Reef for so many years because of the reviews, but then finally gave it a try in 2014 and LOVED it. So you really just never know!

Ugh, I must have been reading won-tons wrong all this time, or automatically translated in my mind to regular wontons. Now, those look spectacular!
They're FANTASTIC!

Yaay for the Wontons! Those puppies are amazing. The sauce is heavenly. Glad you got the chance to partake.

I had the duck in Sept & really enjoyed it. But I don't remember those magic mushrooms. They must have swapped out the side because think I had some kind of stir-fry. Whenever I can get me some duck I do because I once tried to bake a whole duck in the oven and that was not a good experience. So not magical. Now I let anyone else do that duck for me!
Oh, I ordered it with mushrooms only for the veggie. Normally it's the stir-fry veggies like you're thinking of!

We went back to Yak and Yeti last month after not having been there in a couple years and were very happy with our meals, glad you were, too! I agree though, weird looking naked shrimp :crazy: I will also admit that even though Steve commented once that he'd like to return to Y&Y and I told him that's why I booked it last month, the real reason I did it is because I wanted those wontons again :D I normally don't eat fruit either unless it's covered in chocolate, but covered in that sauce it's grrrrrreat!
Yep, I'm not a huge fruit lover, but they were good in the vanilla sauce. The wontons were definitely the star, though!

Those wontons do look and sound fantastic!! So does the rest of the meal!!!
It was pretty tasty, I wasn't disappointed!

haha this is the review I was thinking of. No offense but those shrimp look really unappealing without the sauce. They look like they were coated in raw corn starch after the fact, lol. The sauce is QUITE spicy so I'm sure you made the right call (I do like spicy foods and still found it on the upper end of my tolerance level). But it hurt so good.
Haha, I know they didn't look like much, but they tasted okay, if a bit bland! Now I know better, though.

I like your style. YNY has some pretty good drinks.

DW and I were at WDW for F&W in November, and Yak and Yeti was probably our favorite food stop (other than Canada's F&W kiosk -- the steak and cheese soup are crazy good).

We were on the DDP+ for one night of our split stay and our server let us choose the ahi tuna nachos as our appetizer and then we split the Kalbi Steak and shrimp (both really good -- bonus was that we only used one meal credit). DW also loved the fried wontons. I let her finish the desert while I ordered a liquid dessert. As far as value goes, that meal "cost" us about $40 + tip with the meal plan, so it was a heck of a deal...and we were both pretty stuffed.
That's a great deal! Good job!

Crap???? What is this crap that you speak of? I am nothing but a sweet and gentle DIS friend who in only the kindest way helps to remind you of what you may be missing out on.
No you're not. We wouldn't be friends if you were. That's sounds terrible!

Yum, Yum, and Yum!!! It may be 9am but with all that coconut, banana, and fruit juices that has to be good for morning, right?
It's totally a breakfast cocktail!

And speaking of the aforementioned crap, this look like powdered sugar donut holes and not shrimp :-) Only you would order Firecraker shrimp with no actual firecrackers :P
Bahaha! You're right, I probably am the only person who would do that. Oh well, live and learn!

That ducks looks in the words of a very wise woman amazeballs!!!!! We have a famous Peking duck restaurant around here (you know people with last names like Obama and Bush like to eat there) and this is reminding me that I'm long overdue for a trip. The mushrooms I'l pass on though :-)
The duck was surprising delicious. I was NOT disappointed!

I won't say I told you so, but.....
Yeah yeah. You totally told me so. I humbled myself on that fact long before writing this report, lady. YOU WIN THIS ROUND.

Your meal at Y and Y looks delicious aside from that albino-looking shrimp. But I guess since there is no sauce on it so it looks funny. I'm sure it tasted better than it looked. :)
Albino shrimp! Ha! They were bland, honestly. But with the sauce, they would have been WAY too spicy for me.

The duck looks great...sounds like something I'd like as I like crispy-skinned ducks with a sweet sauce.
You should try it then! It was yummy!

And that dessert! YUM!!
Totally the star of the Y&Y show!

I'm glad you finally got some Y&Y wontons, they are lovely aren't they :goodvibes
They really are! I'm so happy to finally know what I've been missing!

Jumping in! Glad you liked Texas de Brazil. we have one here and enjoy it a few times a year. We go at lunch cause it's the same menu at half the price :-)
I wish we had one closer to where I am. There's a non-chain Brazilian Steakhouse about an hour away, but that's a long way to drive just for dinner!

Joining in! I am also a huge fan of the vacation day drinking :)
It's pretty much the best!

Jumping on board to follow along on your eating adventures!

I'm thinking we reeeeeally have to try Y&Y ts this next family trip! Now that the park is open later it will be worth it to not do cs.

Beach Club Marketplace
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Friday, October 22, 2016
Breakfast

20161022_071422.jpg

Breakfast Sandwich with Bacon, Scrambled Eggs and Cheese. Served with Potato Casserole.

The sandwich was actually pretty disappointing. It's hard to mess up a breakfast this simple, but it was all kinda lukewarm and dry and tasteless. I vividly recall just sorta chewing my way through it just to get come sustenance in my belly to start my day. The potatoes were good, though! Oh, and the service was terrible... The CMs doing working the serving line were really quite rude and dismissive. I ain't about that when I'm at Disney.

Surprising to nobody, I did not return here to eat during my Beach Club stay!

UMMMM what is the point of a mediocre quick service breakfast that IS NOT EVEN ON A DISNEY WORLD PAPER PLATE?? I love those things.

Yak & Yeti

20161022_112854-1.jpg

So umm those shrimp look really weird without the sauce. I feel like they are naked!!

20161022_120818-1.jpg

That's more like it. Those look INCREDIBLE. Some day I will end up at that place... maybe I will go just for dessert?

I'll add my name to the chorus. Huge fan of your trippies.

If/when you're ready to come back, your dedicated groupies will be waiting! :D

I'm just jumping in. Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!! That's so amazing and inspirational. Can't wait to follow along with the rest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter