Wednesday March5th - quick report on IOA

busyshrew

Mouseketeer
We have a DD10 who is just mad about all things Potter. She is absolutely convinced an owl will be arriving with a letter for her sometime after her 11th birthday.....

So of course, this year was the IOA year. After 4 years of Disney, we will not be seeing the new Fantasyland *sob*.

WWOHP was wonderful to experience! We all enjoyed ourselves massively. I don't know if yesterday was crowded, but here was our experience.

1) walked through the turnstiles (no lineup) with pre-printed tickets. There was a modest line to purchase tickets from what I saw
2) the walk through Seussland definitely had people but was not busy. I didn't see lineups anywhere (probably that is normal?)
3) Once we got to Hogsmeade, the only slow-up was families (including ours) stopping to take pictures on the bridge/walkway of themselves with the castle in the background :)
4) The lineup for Butterbeer at the cart (by the entrance) was about 7-9 people deep. I went to the cart in the centre of Hogsmeade and it was 3 people deep.
5) FROZEN BUTTERBEER IS AMAZING!!!!! :thumbsup2
6) there was definitely a lineup to Ollivander's but we weren't interested (saving it for next day)
7) the shops were crowded in feeling, but curiously enough, we were helped immediately (no waiting!) - a CM (student?) helped my daughter pick out her wand. Another spent quite a bit of time chatting with her about Bertie Botts' Beans.... Another showed her some miniature dragons (we bought them), and yet another solemnly told her that the black quills were issued by the Ministry of Magic and made by the house elves strictly for use at Hogsmeade shops only ;). She helped her find a regular "student's quill". Whenever we went to pay, there was no lineup. At the candy shop there was a short line of 3 or 4 people.
8) The ride in Hogwart's castle moved briskly. A tiny bottleneck to get a locker, but otherwise, we felt that the line never stopped moving...it was a fast walk the whole way and we only had just enough time to gawk at the interiors and take a few very quick pictures.... I was actually hoping to chicken out, but it seemed like the line was moving so fast... we were hustled onto our seats and off we went! (DD10 liked the ride immensely. I kept my eyes shut tight for most of it. DH said he didn't shut his eyes, wishes he did, and found the experience very intense). Let's put it this way, I can't remember the name of the ride - because we were moving along so quickly I can't remember seeing the sign for it...... I think our total time from start to finish was about 20 minutes in the castle.

We will be going back on Friday, when the weather promises to be bright and sunny. We are hoping to visit the wand shop and ride the hippogriff, and get to spend a bit more time browsing the gift shops. Any other suggestions of must-dos?

Sounds like you had a great time in Hogsmeade!

If you can do the castle tour. You can stop at your leisure and take pictures and also stop and listen to Dumbledore in his office as well as the trio in the Room of Requirement.

Even if you are in line let people pass you if you really want to linger. Every time we walked in the castle I noticed something different. It was amazing in the details!

Make sure you visit all of the park! There are so many awesome rides. Are you doing the Studios too?

Ride Forbidden Journey again. I found it to be a better experience each time I rode it. You start to get the feel for when and where you'll be flying and can anticipate the movements. There are so many details during the ride too!

If you don't want to ride, definitely go through the castle tour line. Make sure you see the Frog Choir! Go inside to get your butterbeer, never a line. Try a cauldron cake, very yummy. Go through the queue for Dragon Challenge, lots of great photo ops and I just skipped the ride. Definitely a don't miss for a big fan. :)

Outside of WWOHP, we loved the Seuss area the most.

Ride Forbidden Journey again. I found it to be a better experience each time I rode it. You start to get the feel for when and where you'll be flying and can anticipate the movements. There are so many details during the ride too!

If you don't want to ride, definitely go through the castle tour line. Make sure you see the Frog Choir! Go inside to get your butterbeer, never a line. Try a cauldron cake, very yummy. Go through the queue for Dragon Challenge, lots of great photo ops and I just skipped the ride. Definitely a don't miss for a big fan. :)

This is very true. You need to ride Forbidden Journey a few times to actually catch all of what is going on.

Thank you for the tips!
We are returning tomorrow.... DD10 has NOT gotten her fill of Hogwarts, that is for certain.

We are planning to:
a) go early and see Ollivander's Wand shop show.
b) go to ride the Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey again (DD wants to go, DH refuses to go, so I will have to sit through it again. With my eyes shut. The things we do for our children.....). I am hoping that this time the line will actually be a bit slower. I felt like we were "raced" through on Wednesday.
c) We will walk through the Dragon Challenge as suggested, and chicken out.
d) We will be eating at the Three Broomsticks. And drinking more BUTTERBEER. The plan is to order all 3 drinks : pumpkin juice, butterbeer, and frozen butterbeer. And then taste and compare. And eat some chocolate cauldron cakes. And buy more candy. Yum yum!

IF there is time after all of the Hogswart-ing, I am hoping to convince my daughter to tour through the rest of the park. I think she would enjoy much of the Jurassic Park area and some of the other rides sound fun.

I suspect that Wednesday was pretty slow, and I'm thinking tomorrow will be the beginning of the early rush of March Break, so will likely be quite a bit busier.

Pembo, when and where does the Frog Choir perform? I didn't see a sign... I was looking for it but probably missed it entirely.

There's a stage sort of behind Ollivanders where the Frog Choir and Triwizard Tournament Pep Rally perform. Ask any of the staff when it is scheduled, there are no signs.

Make sure your camera is ready, the performers come down and will pose with you for pictures :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter