We took the kids to WDW! - All done, Now Bonus features! Festival of Holidays 2/23

That's why I prefer envy, jealousy's less disfigured cousin.

I stand corrected. Yes, jealousy is ugly.
I will say envious instead.

What makes you think I will reveal those things in person? I'll need to be on my best behavior, you know providing an example and all!

There must be a way we can ditch the kid for a while! :laughing:

Not necessarily more, but we're not afraid to start earlier.

:laughing: Okay!

Smith and cross rum
Honey syrup
Pineapple juice
Lime juice
Ginger
Bitters
Pernod

<sigh> Why does it always have to be rum?

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yes, I know! I just had to point it out. It's kind of like one thing just doesn't belong there...

There was a group of Disdads that went to WDW for Marathon Weekend. They were live broadcasting from the parks and resorts. One night a group of them went to Trader Sams and racked up a $700 tab. Everyone ended up with a Nautilus among other souvenirs.

That sounds like a lot of fun, and I could see everyone wanting one. All the cool kids have them! :thumbsup2

I stand corrected. Yes, jealousy is ugly.
I will say envious instead.

Much more civilsed.

There must be a way we can ditch the kid for a while! :laughing:

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

<sigh> Why does it always have to be rum?

Well it doesn't matter because they don't even serve them anymore.

Wait, are you coming to visit me???? :woohoo:

No silly, when we stay out at Disney while you are visiting.

Last year DCA brought back the F&W Festival. There was one from 2007 until 2010, but they did not feature the kiosks that are so popular at WDW. The reason told to me was something to the effect that food laws in California require each kiosk to be individually licensed kitchens and the costs were too high. When the food booths showed up this past year, I was perplexed. But someone else pointed out on another thread the food offerings were definitely higher in price of those at Epcot F&W, almost double in fact. My guess is that to get their money out of those food booth licenses (which were probably licensed for an entire year), they brought a new celebration called the Festival of Holidays. And then for the Lunar New Year the food booths came back again. Don't quote me as an authority, but this is just my guess!

Starting in early November and going all the way through the first week of January, the Festival of Holidays featured an array of culinary delights, entertainment, and other fun activities for kids. I was able to make it out there on two different days during the six week long festival, so I'll just cover all of them in this one update. For those of you familiar with the layout of the parks, we entered through the Grand Californian entrance, stopping to admire this Gingerbread house in the lobby.

Then we headed towards the wharf area past the Grizzly Challenge trail. Our first stop was the Treats for Santa kiosk.

So much of the offerings at the festival were sweets and not wanting to go into a diabetic coma, I had to be careful. I ordered the Harvest Puff Pastry which had a filling made with leeks and parmesan. It was surprisingly good! Not at all what I had expected.

I got some Peppermint Bark for later.

And Fran got this White Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Marshmallows. As they melted the drink turned pink.

Next we visited the Fiesta en Familia where they had a couple Pozole.

It’s a little blurry, but my favorite was the Green Chile Posole.

The Red Chile Posole was good too, but it was a little bit more spicy.

The we moved on to Winter Sliderland.

We got pretty much one of everything on the menu.

I realized upon my first bite of the turkey slider, I am NOT a fan of cranberry sauce with turkey, and I let Fran finish this one.

This one was much better, but I didn’t want to eat too much of it and get myself too full.

Omigosh! This was soooooo good! I loved it and would have eaten a couple of them!

The cider was good too.

We moseyed on to Southern Home Holidays and we were definitely starting to get full.

We only got the Mac and Cheese and Sweet Potato pie. I also forgot to get a picture of the booth. The Mac and Cheese was only “meh” and I did not care for the jalapeno croutons.

I did not like the Sweet potato pie, but Fran did.

We decided to head over to Disneyland for a few while we got our appetites back, but I grabbed a glass of wine for on the way out. It came from the “Making Spirits Bright” booth.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

We went over to Disneyland and did a little bit of shopping. It started getting late and the sun went down. The Christmas tree was all lit up.

Holiday train station (even though the train is closed).

The band playing.

And we make our way back to DCA as we are getting hungry again.

Yuletide Yummies was by far the best of the kiosks.

We got the Sticky Toffee Pudding, Eggnog Cheesecake, and the Gingerbread Bundt Cake. The big winner here was the Sticky Toffee Pudding. I really wished I could have gone back for that one.

There was one last kiosk we hit that night and that one was for me only. Mosaic Delights had Indian inspired Cuisine.

I got the Roasted Lamb. In hindsight, this wasn’t as good as I’d hoped. It wasn’t a lamb loin or rib chop, I think it was just leg meat or something tougher. I ate a little of it and tossed the rest. The dead grapes didn't help either.

Fran chose wisely. This kiosk was right across from the Corn Dog Castle.

I never did make it to all the kiosks, but a couple weeks later I was out there with Jenny and her family. After a long day of running around, we stopped at a few kiosks. I got this Bratwurst from one, but I forgot to take a picture of the sign. It hit the spot because I was hungry and needed a little snack to make it through our long part of the day.

Jenny and her kids shared some sort of curry, but I despise curry powder so I didn’t try any.

Then we went to Mistletoe Morsels.

We ended up getting almost everything between all of us. I ordered the Crab Cake. They ordered the Swedish meatballs (sorry no pic). Both were good, but nothing stellar, they worked in that we got some grub that didn’t cost a fortune.

All of us loved this Egg Nog Cocktail. I’m not sure what was in it, but it was pretty potent!

While I didn’t get to festivate all of the Holidays, I made a good dent into most of the booths. I hope that they bring this back next year. Already the Food and Wine Festival is rapidly approaching. By the time I get back from our cruise F&W will be upon us!

My guess is that to get their money out of those food booth licenses (which were probably licensed for an entire year), they brought a new celebration called the Festival of Holidays. And then for the Lunar New Year the food booths came back again. Don't quote me as an authority, but this is just my guess!

That makes sense.

I love that gingerbread house.

I realized upon my first bite of the turkey slider, I am NOT a fan of cranberry sauce with turkey, and I let Fran finish this one.

I am not keen either.

DSCN9542.jpg

That looks interesting.

Corinna

Did you think people enjoyed the booths? Something they'll bring back next year? Or only time will tell? Fun to get out there and try lots of tasty treats! popcorn::

How cute Festival of the holidays! Love the GB house. That is interesting theory re the cost of the license of the booths.

Such cute booths. I love the Winter Sliderland lol. I would have been all over the turkey snd cranberry. I love that combo. I could be your dyson there.

Pretty tree on Main Street. High Fran! I hope you got some nice items.

Yuletime Yummies looks like one to hang out by. What lovely offerings. Mmm sweet sticky food...

Looks like a great time. I like the look of this festival.

Looks like you guys got your money's worth out of the kiosks. I could see Julie going hard for that white chocolate/peppermint marshmallow drink mix!

Don't quote me as an authority, but this is just my guess!
Well, you know Disneyland as well as any of us, and your reasoning makes a lot of sense, so I'll buy it.

The we moved on to Winter Sliderland.
That name just kind of makes me chuckle and I have no idea why.

Yup, can't go wrong with a corndog.

I'm glad you were able to experience so much of the holiday offerings!

Fun update! I think we ended up eating 6 of those curries total over the trip. :lmao: It was really good.

Yum- the booths had a great variety of food, dessert, and drinks! I love sticky toffee pudding- soo good! The eggnog drink looked good, and peppermint bark I'm always a fan of..well I think I'd enjoy most of those dishes!

Getting caught up on this slow Saturday afternoon and I was doing pretty well in the "snacking" department until I read your updates. Now I am having a glass of wine (the old 5 O'clock somewhere excuse ) and just could not leave the Cheezits in the pantry. Both TR's are filled with delicious sounding treats and my salivary glands are going craaaazy. Enjoying your reports , as always.

We certainly sympathize with you about missing the kitties. We just returned from a week in Florida and our three felines gave us the "so where the heck you been ?" attitude when we walked in the door. Aren't they just a sweet mess ?

:cat:

I like the idea of having this multiple times through out the year, so I hope they bring it back.
I like the red marshmallows they had as peppermint. I might need to look into that more.

Last year DCA brought back the F&W Festival. There was one from 2007 until 2010, but they did not feature the kiosks that are so popular at WDW. The reason told to me was something to the effect that food laws in California require each kiosk to be individually licensed kitchens and the costs were too high. When the food booths showed up this past year, I was perplexed. But someone else pointed out on another thread the food offerings were definitely higher in price of those at Epcot F&W, almost double in fact. My guess is that to get their money out of those food booth licenses (which were probably licensed for an entire year), they brought a new celebration called the Festival of Holidays. And then for the Lunar New Year the food booths came back again. Don't quote me as an authority, but this is just my guess!

Interesting back story. I suppose the price increase could be because of licensing... or it could be just Disney.

Nah. You're right. Disney would never raise their prices just because.

For those of you familiar with the layout of the parks

Not.... yet.

stopping to admire this Gingerbread house in the lobby.

That doesn't look real!

So much of the offerings at the festival were sweets and not wanting to go into a diabetic coma, I had to be careful.

:laughing: I did notice that.

I got some Peppermint Bark for later.

Because... Peppermint Bark. (Which is better with a bite.)

And Fran got this White Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Marshmallows. As they melted the drink turned pink.

mmmmm white hot chocolate. Was it good with Peppermint marshmallows?

Next we visited the Fiesta en Familia where they had a couple Pozole.
Is "Pozole" just a fancy word for soup?

I liked it when I had a cranberry turkey sandwich... but that thing looks like it's got tons in it!

This one was much better, but I didn’t want to eat too much of it and get myself too full.

Kalua slider! Man those are good.

We only got the Mac and Cheese and Sweet Potato pie. I also forgot to get a picture of the booth. The Mac and Cheese was only “meh” and I did not care for the jalapeno croutons.

Yup. Mac and cheese... I'm very, verrrrrry fussy about that.
Not surprised it didn't do it for you.

but I grabbed a glass of wine for on the way out. It came from the “Making Spirits Bright” booth.

Clever.

Nice nails, Alison! :)

The Christmas tree was all lit up.

Pretty.

Holiday train station (even though the train is closed).

Why?

We got the Sticky Toffee Pudding, Eggnog Cheesecake, and the Gingerbread Bundt Cake. The big winner here was the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

It all looks pretty good, but I agree, the Sticky pudding looks really good.

I got the Roasted Lamb. In hindsight, this wasn’t as good as I’d hoped. It wasn’t a lamb loin or rib chop, I think it was just leg meat or something tougher. I ate a little of it and tossed the rest.

Too bad. It looks good.

The dead grapes didn't help either.

:laughing: Tell you what, I'll eat all your "dead grapes".
You know. Because I'm a swell guy.

Okay... now that, (to me) looks like the best thing I've seen yet.

I got this Bratwurst from one,

That looks good too, though.

All of us loved this Egg Nog Cocktail. I’m not sure what was in it, but it was pretty potent!

I'm gonna guess... egg nog and more rum.

Already the Food and Wine Festival is rapidly approaching. By the time I get back from our cruise F&W will be upon us!

Oy. Like I don't have enough choices already!

The reason told to me was something to the effect that food laws in California require each kiosk to be individually licensed kitchens and the costs were too high. When the food booths showed up this past year, I was perplexed. But someone else pointed out on another thread the food offerings were definitely higher in price of those at Epcot F&W, almost double in fact. My guess is that to get their money out of those food booth licenses (which were probably licensed for an entire year), they brought a new celebration called the Festival of Holidays. And then for the Lunar New Year the food booths came back again. Don't quote me as an authority, but this is just my guess!

Oh, wow. Never would have thought of that. How interesting!

Very pretty. I want to go so badly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!