WAY TO Early Riviera Price per Point Guesstimate

Go to DVC News....price hikes coming in January...

CCV and Aulani are going from $176 base to $182 I believe. And there are incentives that take that cost down. DVC makes the money on their new builds, not ROFR and reselling sold out resorts. That's why I believe Riviera will be under $200. Marketing perception. In order to even make any money on the older resorts they need to price them quite a bit higher otherwise it's probably little more than "assisting" members to get the points. ie - pretty much a wash in expense vs income.

Riviera is two years away from opening. No way they will hold down opening prices for under $200/pt.....maybe with incentives it might bring the price down.......I will double down they open well over $200/pt......:smokin:

Riviera is two years away from opening. No way they will hold down opening prices for under $200/pt.....maybe with incentives it might bring the price down.......I will double down they open well over $200/pt......:smokin:

Considering this thread is called way too early, anything is possible. The only way Riviera opens above $200 is if everything else direct is going for $240 plus. That would be great news for all of us owners, as it would mean resale value would be at least $190 for all resorts.

OK! It's effective price though - none of the marketing $201 less this huge discount so look at what you're saving!

Here is the recent price history for the actively-selling resorts:

12/3/15: $168
6/1/16: $171
1/18/17: $176
1/17/18: $182

So prices are rising about $6-8 per year with the 2018 increase already accounted for. It probably won't go up again until fall '18 at earliest...maybe not until 2019.

I'm guessing that between now and fall 2019 there will be two more increases taking it up around $190-195 as the base price. Current members adding at Riviera will pay no more than that, perhaps less with incentives. When sales open to non-members, they'll probably bump it up around $198-199 with incentives.

Riviera will open before Star Wars land. If that proves to be a smashing success and the resort is well received, the base rate will plow across the $200 threshold by mid-2020.

Here is the recent price history for the actively-selling resorts:

12/3/15: $168
6/1/16: $171
1/18/17: $176
1/17/18: $182

So prices are rising about $6-8 per year with the 2018 increase already accounted for. It probably won't go up again until fall '18 at earliest...maybe not until 2019.

I'm guessing that between now and fall 2019 there will be two more increases taking it up around $190-195 as the base price. Current members adding at Riviera will pay no more than that, perhaps less with incentives. When sales open to non-members, they'll probably bump it up around $198-199 with incentives.

Riviera will open before Star Wars land. If that proves to be a smashing success and the resort is well received, the base rate will plow across the $200 threshold by mid-2020.

How much will they bump up VGC & VGF in this upcoming round of increase? Aren't those the biggest one-time jumps thus far in DVC history? That's why I thought Riviera will likely leap over $200 by the time it goes on sale, assuming it will be sold as one of the "premium" resorts. I guess part of the equation will be how strong the economy is at that time.

LAX

More than price I'd be more interested to know if they will learn their lesson and build more studios than the other resorts, but still all room types. It looks like a no brainer and still....

How much will they bump up VGC & VGF in this upcoming round of increase? Aren't those the biggest one-time jumps thus far in DVC history? That's why I thought Riviera will likely leap over $200 by the time it goes on sale, assuming it will be sold as one of the "premium" resorts. I guess part of the equation will be how strong the economy is at that time.

LAX

IMO, the January pricing on VGC, VGF and Poly is nothing more than a big flashing sign which reads "we aren't selling points here anymore...please buy Aulani or Copper Creek." New builds are where DVC makes its money. Whatever they would spend to ROFR contracts at those resorts is quite a bit more than the cost of building new.

Some people will dig their heels in and DVC can gouge them due to the low supply of points. But they want most buyers thinking that VGC, VGF and Poly are off the table, instead buying something like Copper Creek and trying to book elsewhere at 7 months.

$220 for PVB and VGF and $235 for VGC is pretty high and I would think these prices will definitely make people look at one of the other resorts for direct purchase. I was surprised that BLT wasn't raised as well as it has been keeping in line with VGF for quite awhile.

What I am still dumbfounded about is that Vero Beach is going down from $115 to $100.

$220 for PVB and VGF and $235 for VGC is pretty high and I would think these prices will definitely make people look at one of the other resorts for direct purchase. I was surprised that BLT wasn't raised as well as it has been keeping in line with VGF for quite awhile.

What I am still dumbfounded about is that Vero Beach is going down from $115 to $100.

I am also surprised by BLT. The only thing I can think is the relative high number of rooms there means they can still make money off of ROFR flipping just due to the economy of scale. It is weird that they have a sold out resort listed for such a similar price to one still up for sale right across bay lake, though.
As for Vero, it makes good sense. Aulani shows that off property hotels are not as popular as on property, and with the huge MFs at Vero, lowering the price makes it still expensive, but quite as much so.

IMO, the January pricing on VGC, VGF and Poly is nothing more than a big flashing sign which reads "we aren't selling points here anymore...please buy Aulani or Copper Creek." New builds are where DVC makes its money. Whatever they would spend to ROFR contracts at those resorts is quite a bit more than the cost of building new.

Some people will dig their heels in and DVC can gouge them due to the low supply of points. But they want most buyers thinking that VGC, VGF and Poly are off the table, instead buying something like Copper Creek and trying to book elsewhere at 7 months.

Good points -completely agree. I think it makes the 180-200 range look ok too could be a point the direct sales rep use to sell CC, Aul and Riv in the future.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your overall assessment about pushing potential buyers towards new resorts, I feel DVC is trying to group its resorts into different tiers. Right at the top are the premium ones that include VGC, VGF, and to some extent, PVB. These will range from $220 to $235 with the new increase, but likely push towards $250 by the time Riviera goes on sale. If DVC intends to sell Riviera as a "premium" resort, pricing it "merely" at $200 will have similar effect to what you described, which is nudging buyers towards Riviera as other sold out premium resorts will be about $50 more expensive.

By that time, AUL & CCV will likely still priced below $200, which still allow DVC to target those who can't quite afford the "premium", but can still stretch the budget to "join the club." Perhaps I am overthinking DVC's intended strategy, but I feel it's trying to differentiate the premium resorts and then slapping a premium price to them.

LAX

While I don't necessarily disagree with your overall assessment about pushing potential buyers towards new resorts, I feel DVC is trying to group its resorts into different tiers. Right at the top are the premium ones that include VGC, VGF, and to some extent, PVB. These will range from $220 to $235 with the new increase, but likely push towards $250 by the time Riviera goes on sale. If DVC intends to sell Riviera as a "premium" resort, pricing it "merely" at $200 will have similar effect to what you described, which is nudging buyers towards Riviera as other sold out premium resorts will be about $50 more expensive.

By that time, AUL & CCV will likely still priced below $200, which still allow DVC to target those who can't quite afford the "premium", but can still stretch the budget to "join the club." Perhaps I am overthinking DVC's intended strategy, but I feel it's trying to differentiate the premium resorts and then slapping a premium price to them.

LAX

Considering that all points are equal at 7 months, I think the premium being put on rooms is based on points, not initial price per point. The price per point is based on demand for that resort compared to supply, not on how premium it is.
Considering that Riviera will be a whole new building, not attached to a flagship hotel, I anticipate initial demand being a bit lower, and therefore a lower initial price per point asking price.

IMO the price differences are a direct result of supply and demand. The smaller resorts in higher demand are priced higher. Vero beach with little demand and higher dues is priced the lowest.

:earsboy: Bill

If DVC intends to sell Riviera as a "premium" resort...

I'm not sure how you qualify a "premium" resort. I don't expect Riviera to be any more premium than other resorts. I doubt it will even equal Grand Floridian, which is pretty much at the top of the mountain IMO.

With few exceptions, DVC has always had very flat pricing for any resorts it was actively selling. In recent times, VGF, Poly and Aulani were all same. Today Poly, Copper Creek and Aulani are all same. Only modest differences in incentives.

Riviera will come in at least $200. DVD has never put up prices like this before. 'Take a Cable Car direct to Star Wars' , no resort offers that. One tactic of banging up Poly to $220 could be that Riviera doesn't look 'too bad' at higher, maybe $230.
They will be positioning it as a high level resort, perhaps on a par with a VGF with a rooftop restaurant (will we see a Signature up there?)

DH and I have pretty much decided to buy DVC in the next two to four years. We are watching developments on this resort VERY carefully.

As a 1 bedroom booker, with a teenage girl and a 11 year old boy, the biggest driver for me on the 1 beds is not just the bathroom, but the extra sleep surface so the kids do not have to share the sofa bed. Only OKW, BLT, Kidani, and VGF offer that additional sleeper surface. I find this quite ridiculous- that most of them have less sleeping surfaces than the studios. There is no way we will stay in a studio though due to overall space. I am seriously considering 2 studios at Boardwalk if I can get them and we ever stop there or at Copper Creek (at Copper Creek 2 studios are less than a 1 bed). The problem with the Poly studios is they are too expensive. I can get a 1 bed standard at VGF for 1 point more than 2 studios at Poly. BLT, even though pretty point heavy is a good choice for me. If Riviera offer the 5 sleep surfaces in a 1 bed it will be a winner for me. I expect we will see it hit $200 a point. With Star Wars opening, and a resort with direct access, DVD will ramp the prices. It is being separated from Caribbean Beach with a lake they are putting in- they clearly want to distance it from being associated. They will have this as an almost VGF level of deluxe, with the fine dining on the roof etc.

This is a big factor for us too. We are soon to be a family of 5 and we prefer one bedrooms because we prefer to cook most of our meals in the villa rather than eating every meal out. Therefore, a resort that sleeps 5 in a 1 bedroom will likely be the biggest factor for us. Studios are really only a draw when DH and I go on an adults only trip.

I'm pretty excited about RR, though I seem to be in the minority. I'm "young" (in my early 30s) and childish. We travel as a family (me, my finacee, my brother and his wife, and my dad) as a unit but there's always the potential of my brother or myself adding a baby into the mix in the nearish future. My brother inherited a timeshare from his father in law in Orlando and we tend to do a one bedroom when we all travel together.

We already own on the monorail and we split our time between MK and Epcot. AK isn't a huge draw for me. I like the morning safaris and Pandora was neat to see, but it's not an all day park for me. HS bores me and though I am excited for TSL, the moment SWL opens up there, I know I will not be going back for a long time. So HS is currently a non issue for me.

I want to own an Epcot resort so that I can plan our split stays easier at the 11 month mark, but the end of contract is extremely prohibitive for me. Again, I'm relatively young. Children may be in my future. I want something that I can use for a long time. RR will lively prove to be my answer.

Their location is right, with transportation to Epcot that isn't a bus. It might be built on former Moderate Resort land, but it isn't a moderate resort since it will have all of it's own amenities. Plus, it looks like it will be a single building resort...which I just love. I'm extremely excited to hear more about this resort and I'm pretty sure that when the first wave of rooms is released for sale (first or second quarter 2019 since it will likely open late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter 2019), it will be priced around the $185 mark. The monorail resorts will be in the $190s. CCV probably will be too.

The restaurant on the roof is a draw for me too. I like fireworks...but I prefer not to be in the parks to see them. The rooms will be state of the art and a DVC only property. That's exciting to me. I'm really looking forward to more information, but I don't expect it will be out until the end of 2018. Still, if it's priced right and I can add on my 50 points to get a 2070ish contract at an epcot resort, I'll be so very pleased.

We are in a similar situation as you are.....though we already have 2 kids with a third on the way. We really like BCV with the walking access to EPCOT and the pool but frankly, I can't justify spending that amount to buy in there when there are only 24 or so years left on the contract. It would expire just as we are starting to think about taking grandkids with us. We actually really love SSR. There is bus transportation everywhere but Disney Springs but the buses never really bothered me. I don't really consider walking access to Disney Springs to be much of a perk. I know a lot of people love it but frankly, we probably spend one evening there a trip for souvenir purchasing and maybe a trip to the ice cream shop but otherwise, it doesn't rival park access for me.

Yes but the ones that are attached to a park, or on the monorail loop, are priced at a premium. $171 for AKV, which is beautiful and spacious, compared to 220 for Poly, which only offers expensive studios, but is both attached to the monorail, and a short boat ride away from the MK.

People are doubting this skyliner will be highly effective. I for one trust what disney is up to, but there is no way it can be more appealing than walking 5 minutes to the park. This skyliner will also only go to Epcot and Studios, meaning bussing elsewhere.

I have spent enough time at ski resorts to know just how efficiently this type of system can move people. True, it's not quite as great as being able to walk 5 minutes to a park as is the case with BCV and BWV but gondolas can move a massive amount of people extremely efficiently. Much more efficiently than the buses can. I'm really looking forward to this and I admit it will be a draw for me. Much more so than the monorail is.

All in all, I'm very excited for RR and think it will come down to crunching the numbers when the time comes to see which is a better value for us. I can't say the theme of the resort appeals to me a whole lot but then again I really have very little imagination so I'm sure what the designers come up with will be great. I'm sure the pool will be good also, not rivaling SAB but so long as it has a decent water slide, an area for smaller kids, and zero depth entry would be nice, we will be happy with whatever they come up with. We have always really enjoyed our stays at SSR and will likely buy there rather than RR if the numbers work out but, by the time RR is finished and we are ready to buy the contract length of SSR and RR may very likely tip the scales toward RR. We will just have to wait and see.

Is there any speculation about how many people will be able to fit in a 1 bedroom villa yet?

It's all about the point chart IMO- the buy in cost is less relevant.

If it's $200pp and a studio is 15 points on average vs. $180pp and the average studio is 20 points, the $200/pt scenario is still considerably "cheaper". CCV has a high cost per point but its point chart is a relative value, in line with the 'old' DVC resorts.

Is there any speculation about how many people will be able to fit in a 1 bedroom villa yet

I would bet 5. Building on new land is a huge benefit of this resort. They are not limited on how many square feet per room, bathrooms per room, etc. They can really appeal to families by having 2 bathrooms in the 1 BR units and 5 sleeping in the studios.
With that said, I bet the points per night will be high and the buying in asking price will be in the 180's, or at most the 190's. They will be trying to drive business there so it will have to be cheaper than the already sold out resorts. BLT is only 191 right now, with similar 1 BR accomodations, so they need another hook (price) to drive people to Riviera.

I'm not sure how you qualify a "premium" resort. I don't expect Riviera to be any more premium than other resorts. I doubt it will even equal Grand Floridian, which is pretty much at the top of the mountain IMO.

With few exceptions, DVC has always had very flat pricing for any resorts it was actively selling. In recent times, VGF, Poly and Aulani were all same. Today Poly, Copper Creek and Aulani are all same. Only modest differences in incentives.

It's really not how I qualify a "premium" resort. It's how DVD wants to brand it. I don't think it's going to exceed the aura of VGF, but it should come close if not equal to it. I think DVD might try to brand it an EP/HS flagship resort, kind of like the equivalent of VGF to MK.

Riviera will come in at least $200. DVD has never put up prices like this before. 'Take a Cable Car direct to Star Wars' , no resort offers that. One tactic of banging up Poly to $220 could be that Riviera doesn't look 'too bad' at higher, maybe $230.
They will be positioning it as a high level resort, perhaps on a par with a VGF with a rooftop restaurant (will we see a Signature up there?)

This is kind of what I have in mind with the recently announced price increases. It certainly has the effect of turning people away from the sold out resorts, but it will position Riviera to be priced at or above the $200 threshold.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!