Washington, DC - recommend camground?

gillenkl

DIS Veteran
Can anyone recommend a campground near Washington DC - one that wouldn't be too far to drive to all the historical sites?

I haven't camped here personally, but have heard good things about Cherry Hill RV Park which is north of DC in College Park, Maryland. I have wanted to go since seeing it featured on RV Today. It got good reviews on RVParkReviews.Com, also. It is on the DC Metro Line for easy touring in DC. I would NOT recommend touring DC by car... you will spend all your time looking for parking.

Can anyone recommend a campground near Washington DC - one that wouldn't be too far to drive to all the historical sites?

we stayed here this summer, it was great! My 8yr old loved the pool, dd 17 the free wii fi :thumbsup2

the first day we took the bus that goes into DC, the rest of the time we chose to drive to the metro station at college park, U Maryland campus ...
We had to purchase a parking pass,but since we were there 5 days it was worth it for us. the bus ride took us about an hour to get to the station. vs 25 mn or so to the metro driving our selves.. If you take the metro ticket prices change through out the day.. ie price increases during peak transportation times, they do have a senior citizen rate which my mom took advantage of.. I don't recall the price tho...

also if you want to visit the us mint in DC/washington monument .. order your tickets ahead of time on line, wish we did, so we missed out on those tours.

our favorite place to eat was the National American Indian Museum and my oldest really liked the Halocaust Memorial Museum..

hope you have a great trip, we will definately stay at Cherry Hill park again

I would also recommend driving to a nearby metro parking lot and taking the metro in.

I would also recommend using www.tourmobile.com to see the sites around DC.

They are a set of tour buses that go in a big circle around all the monuments and has several stops. You have unlimited on and off at each stop. We purchased two day tickets. The first day we started at Union Station and worked our way down to Arlington Cemetary. The 2nd day we started at Arlington Cemetary and worked our way back up to Union Station.

We began each day by driving to a metro parking area, then took the metro to our starting point, at the end of the day, we took the metro back to our car.

We're going to DC for the first time this April and we plan on staying at Cherry Hill.

I'm happy for the insight about the bus to the metro taking so long but I'm also disappointed. Did not want to have to deal with traffic. What time did you leave to get to the Metro Parking area and was it crowded enough that you could be left without a space?

But to OP, I have researched a lot about the area and for convenience sake, Cherry Hill seems like the best choice.

I hope you have a great trip.

Would the Cherry Hill RV park have tent sites as well? I know there are some RV parks that don't accomodate tents at all. Are there any State parks nearby with campgrounds? Just wondering....

We've stopped at Cherry Hill Park quite a few times and although they are pricey for just an overnight stop like what we did, you can't beat what they offer you. Nice facilities and very friendly. We keep saying that we would stay longer and take advantage of the tours but never plan it that way.

Nancy

I would like to stay there sometime to see some of the sites in DC. It has been a long time since I was there. Cherry Hill was recommended to us and they have good reviews. I don't want to have to drive around DC. We won't have a car either so hopefully their transporation will do.

Would the Cherry Hill RV park have tent sites as well? I know there are some RV parks that don't accomodate tents at all. Are there any State parks nearby with campgrounds? Just wondering....

Glancing through their website, I noticed that they do have a tent rate, so they must accept them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter