"Walkup" Availability @ State campgrounds?

Minnie&Mickey

I want to live at the Fort!
Have any of you had any luck with getting a campsite at a State Park when it is only showing "walkup" availability? We are still having trouble finding two nights in the Fort Walton Beach area in mid-July. Both Henderson State Park and Topsail are showing a lot of sites as walkup, but I would hate to drive all the way down there and all of the sites are taken. Have any of you experienced this before?

Funny...I am going through the samething at the same 2 parks!!! I sure as hell aint gonna rent a camper and head all the way there just to HOPE Im lucky enough to get a site!! Im getting the same problem with the Gulf State Park in Alabama.

The answer is, "it depends".

During "in season" times it's definitely chancy especially if you want to arrive on a Friday for a walk-up weekend especially on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Arriving on a Monday-Thursday helps chances. Call first before leaving-they won't guarentee anything or hold a spot but that will give you an idea. Given the distance you would have to come it would be a dicey proposition.

BDR, when are you planning to come to Gulf State Park? Their policy used to be to only allow half of their 500 campsites to be reserved. If you're coming for a holiday weekend (Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day) it will be full (half reserved and half first-come-first-served) and you might get one of the FCFS but any other time (even weekends in summer) you can always get a spot. That's my plan and I've never been shut out of Gulf. Arriving on a Wednesday or Thursday before a holiday weekend increases your chances of getting a site FCFS. Maybe their policy has changed but if so I'm not aware of it.

In fact, I'm planning to arrive at Gulf on Memorial Day Monday (when everyone is leaving) and stay for a couple days and I'll practically have the place to myself if it's like it was last year. No ressie - just faith!

Bama ED

Ed,thats good news!!! Im wanting to go May 31st or June 1st (Red Snapper season opening) and stay through that Thursday....so I should be ok. I had no idea they had 500 sites! Do you go there often? How far of a hike is it to the beach? Have they re-opened the pier yet?

Rog,

I think you'll have a great time. Last time I went snapper fishing it was on a half-day trip and we didn't have much luck. If you do a full day I think your chances are much better.

It is a big park. The nearest campsites to the beach are on a loop that's not even on the map posted on the website which run along the little canal. Look at the map here http://www.alapark.com/parks/pdfs/gulf/gulfcampgroundmap.pdf and the cul-de-sac showing sites 4-16 has been extended back to the left towards Lake Selby (?) and these are the closest to the beach (5 min walk). Along this extension by the canal are all pull throughs, full hook ups, no trees, and gators in the canal (if you bring a little dog don't leave him outside overnight :scared1:) . No bathhouse along the extension either (although there is a vacant piece of land for a future one) so the nearest one would be the box on the map by sites 1-3. To get to the beach you walk to the end of the extended loop across a footbridge out to Park Road 2, turn left, walk across the canal and in less than 5 min you're at the beach. This part of the beach has no facilities, just a lovely stretch of sand. Just to the east within view is the Beach Pavilion with has concessions, bathrooms, etc which you can park at for a reduced fee since you're at the campground.

Gulf was a beautiful, lush, heavily shaded park until the hurricanes of the last couple years and now it is wide open. It has beautiful sunsets along Middle Lake. I've been going there for 30 years as a kid now a dad and I love the fact it's a little sleepy beach town without the glitz and glamour of, say, a Destin. Great places to eat but the beach is the main attraction. We drive go-carts, go to the cheese farm, spend time on the beach, eat out once or twice, hit the souvenir shops, see a movie. The park is connected to the Backcountry Trail which is a paved biking/walking trail about 4-5 miles in length towards the town of Orange Beach with a Y-that turns it into a 10-miler if desired.

If you end up going PM me and I'll tell you where to eat, shop, buy groceries, etc. We go to Gulf twice a year now - once in the late spring early summer and once in November when the town just north of Gulf Shores (Foley) has a 5k run (The Oyster Run) with the best post run food I've seen. Where else can you run a 5k, eat fresh shucked oysters, pizza, and beer all by 10 a.m.? I mean is that great or what? :happytv:

The pier is still not ready - still being built. It's longer-bigger-better but it was built to pop boards loose but save the infrastructure and as they've built it every storm that came along has popped a few boards. They're making headway but I haven't heard of it being finished yet. We're going down Memorial Monday and leaving out Friday morning so we would miss you by a few days but like I said if you plan to go PM me and I'll fill you in.

Enjoy!

Bama ED

PS-my wife (whose idea of roughing it is spending the night at a Holiday Inn) says Gulf has the cleanest state park restroom/bathhouses she's ever seen in a state park. So we love it, recommend it, and encourage staying there.

Arriving on a Monday-Thursday helps chances. Call first before leaving-they won't guarentee anything or hold a spot but that will give you an idea. Given the distance you would have to come it would be a dicey proposition.

I guess we could try to arrive on a Thursday instead of Friday if that would help. I just wish something would open up so I wouldn't have to stress about this so much. This short trip is kind of work related for me, so I really need to be sure that we can find a campground once we get down there. Thanks for all the info, bama_ed!

At Topsail, you can almost always get site #2 (there was no #1 when we were there last year). It is right next to the registration building and the entrance/exit. Not a good site for small children. Way too much traffic and a very long walk to the beach. I'd keep trying for a reservation for another site. If you can get one of the landscaped RV sites, they are very nice and much closer to the beach.

At Topsail, you can almost always get site #2 (there was no #1 when we were there last year). It is right next to the registration building and the entrance/exit. Not a good site for small children. Way too much traffic and a very long walk to the beach. I'd keep trying for a reservation for another site. If you can get one of the landscaped RV sites, they are very nice and much closer to the beach.

Do you know if the campsites that they show on ReserveAmerica.com (the website that the state parks ask you to book through) are up-to-date? Or do I need to call every day to check on cancellations?

Thanks Ed......You make it sound like a real winner...Ive actually looked it up on yahoo maps with the aerial view and saw all the pull through sites along the canal you mentioned...Id be much more comfortable with a pull through since Im renting and BRAND NEW at attempting to tow anything substancial!!!

I took a 4 hour trip on the AmericaII ( I forget the name of the company, but I saved their phone # in my phone), it was only like $65 bucks for the 4 hour trip, and actual fishing time was only about 2 hours...but I pulled in 2 very nice snappers within the first 10 minutes, and they are ALOT of fun to pull in....the rest of the trip wasnt too bad..I caught 2 more fish, but they werent really worth keeping, so I gave them to this nice older couple who were fishing next to me....some people on that trip were pulling in some real monsters....it was a great experience,and I promised myself I'd be back when they'd allow me to keep the snappers!!!

We really like The Original Oyster House...and Lulu's has a great atmosphere, but their Gumbo is AWFUL (its very sweet....there's no SWEET in a good gumbo description!) Bahama Bobs is pretty good too. What are some other good eats?

You mentioned riding go-carts....do they allow that at Gulf SP? Or do you guys go to one of the tracks on 59? Have you ever been to that little zoo on 59? Its amazing!! We'd never been in all of our trips to Gulf Shores,we always figured that it couldnt possibly compare to the zoo in New Orleans,so why bother...but although its tiny and simple....we were so surprised at how nice it really was...the animals are so well taken care of...I SWEAR the lions were smiling!!

We go pretty often and stay at different condos, but I've been wanting to try the SP for a long time, and now you really have me hyped up for it!

Do you know if the campsites that they show on ReserveAmerica.com (the website that the state parks ask you to book through) are up-to-date? Or do I need to call every day to check on cancellations?
We have just used ReserveAmerica and checked it every day until we found an open site (through cancellations I guess), but in the office there we were told the site we had last year (#2) is usually open. You'll see why if you go!

We have just used ReserveAmerica and checked it every day until we found an open site (through cancellations I guess), but in the office there we were told the site we had last year (#2) is usually open. You'll see why if you go!

Thanks for the info! I'll keep checking!

I just checked again...believe it or not #2 is even booked!!!

My bad, Rog, I didn't know you'd been to GS before. Let me hit the high points:

1. There are also pull-through sites on the main campground road farthest out from the checkin office (about 10 on the left and 10 on the right). It's about mile back there so it's the farthest from the beach. There are also some pull-throughs if you look at the map I linked to last time along the southern side of the road where 163-185 are. About 10 sites there too. And parallel to 163-185 on the main road are a few. 163-185 is the area I like to be in during the fall because the breeze off the ocean and lake is a little strong and a little too constant for me in the fall. All the rest are back-in. If you are looking for a pull through then those are your three areas to choose from.

2. OOH is a great place to eat but the wait there is always an hour long at least and I refuse to wait that long for anyplace. I agree about Lulu's also-a nice setting and the Buffet name but the food is only :confused3. I would also recommend Desoto's (just a block or two north and west of the "T" where Hwy 59 meets the beach Hwy 182). It's good for lunch or dinner and has been voted "best place to eat" for the last few years. Easy to see why. I also like Mikee's which is about two blocks north and east of the T. It's a pretty plain rectangular building but I like the food. Basic no-frill atmosphere.

3. The Track on Hwy 59 is where we drive go-carts (not allowed at Gulf SP). Make sure you get one of the little souvenir/coupon books available in the campground office when you check in because the Track has a "buy 2 get 3" coupon in it we always use. That coupon as a stand-alone ticket is also available at the Visitor's Center when they are open just across the highway from the track. Saves a little $$.

4. The two other things I would recommend are: first, if you get a tide flowing either in or out around late afternoon-sunset go west of the T on Hwy 182 to the Litte Lagoon Pass. I think it's less than 5 miles from the T. There are places to park and it's fun to wade out up to your waist or chest on the lagoon side and feel the water rushing past your body (it's not too strong). It's also a good place to fish too. It usually draws a small crowd on pretty nights during the summer. second if you're really bored I would suggest a visit to a farm in the country where they make fresh cheese (The Sweet Home Cheese Farm) in Elberta which is about 10 miles east of Foley. It's a little place on a dirt road and they sell out of a tiny building but the cheese is delicious. Before you drive out there (about 30 min from Gulf SP) call and check their message for the days they're open and hours (varies with the seasons). http://www.southerncheese.com/Pages/sweethome.html I usually call the day I arrive in Gulf Shores so I can plan my visit accordingly. I wouldn't recommend visiting there when you are towing the camper as the dirt road and farm entrance can get a little tight (plus all the cars). We like the "pizza" cheese and the chocolate fudge cheese. And the best part is they give free bites to taste test ;)

After you get back from GS I'd like to know how it went and get regular TR. Shoot, now you got me excited about goin! :woohoo:

Bama ED

I believe they are up-to-date. I know I've tried to get a site at Bahia Honda down in the Florida Keys and they open their booking window 11 months out and it fills up almost immediately. Calling even that far out gets you nothing better than what you see on-line. Unlike the Fort and Disney who don't release everything in the booking window, I get the feeling that ReserveAmerica is "what you see is what there is". :surfweb:

Bama ED

I have had better luck at State Parks by calling the park directly instead of using Reserve America. Some of the better sites are not even available on Reserve America (but you probably can't get them at a late date anyway.)

Ed...the Little Lagoon Pass and Cheese Farm are GREAT suggestions...Ive never heard of either one, Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter