Walking in Disney

I❤️Disney

Mouseketeer
Hey y’all, so I’m a bigger girl. Today We took my daughter to a museum. On my Fitbit it said we walk a little over 2 miles. I know this sounds awful but I’m exhausted!!! I was wondering how many miles people normally walk at Disney and how do you prepare for it. Thank you!!!! (If this is the wrong spot I’m sorry)

Hey y’all, so I’m a bigger girl. Today We took my daughter to a museum. On my Fitbit it said we walk a little over 2 miles. I know this sounds awful but I’m exhausted!!! I was wondering how many miles people normally walk at Disney and how do you prepare for it. Thank you!!!! (If this is the wrong spot I’m sorry)

You'll EASILY do 2-4 miles per day. Start walking every day now. Doesn't have to be a fast walk, but if you can walk 2-3 miles 3-4 days a week, you should be ready. If that's too much to begin, just do as much as you can and build up to it.

Here's my step count for our trip last month:
Screenshot_20180608-231256.png

Keep in mind that it isn't non-stop walking. There's a lot of sitting in between. If you can manage a 2 to 3 mile walk, you'll be fine. Just keep practicing -- walk as much as you can, whenever you can. And take your daughter with you. By the time my daughter was 3, she could easily walk 2 miles around the neighborhood and we're both really grateful for all of that time we spent together without distractions.

I'd say 10 miles was my average last trip. But we did A LOT. You could tone it down if necessary.

I averaged 25-30K steps a day. I was exhausted towards the end of our trip! Breaks are your friend.

I'd say 10 miles was my average last trip. But we did A LOT. You could tone it down if necessary.

I averaged 25-30K steps a day. I was exhausted towards the end of our trip! Breaks are your friend.
For a typical adult, a mile is about 2000 steps

We do somewhere between 7 and 10 miles a day on average. But it's not all at once. For me, the walking isn't really the issue. It's the standing. If I'm in lines that slowly move I'm fine. But if I get stuck in something like Soarin' that can sometimes have long stretches of not moving in between shuffling forward, that can really mess me up. I don't do much to prepare for the walking and that part is fine. But I think I may need to do something to be better equipped to handle the standing.

For me, the walking isn't really the issue. It's the standing.

For many of us it's the standing that's the hardest. That's when you want the shoes that make YOUR feet happy (for some that's running shoes, fro others it's crocs, for others it's Oofos flipflops, and everywhere in between).

I haven't tracked at WDW. But at Disneyland/Ca Adventure I'm generally at a half marathon each day. It's a lot of walking.

I prepare for it by living in NYC:).
Less people own cars here or even know how to drive than any other place in the USA.

A food shopping run for me can readily be a 5 mile walk and I shop about 2 or 3 times a week. I do 2 miles to get to the furthest shop, 2 miles back, and a mile or so of walking in and out of shops. Now that stores like Whole Food have come to Manhattan I no longer have to stop at separate greengrocers, the butcher shop and fishmonger's but I still do (I enjoy picking what I eat w/o it being covered in plastic and Styrofoam) except when holiday food shopping when I walk down and cab back.

A good way for a novice to start is to purposely walk up and down stairs in a house. Top floor to basement to wash clothing; be sure to bring them back upstairs the same day and put them away. This accomplishes a few goals: organising the house and getting walking time in.

Work in an office with an elevator? Get off the ride one or two floors before your destination and walk up. Walking down counts too as it help to keep your balance and the knees are more "lubricated'.

Have a garden? Pull weeds every morning before the sun is high in the sky. Limbers up the overall body.

Take a walk in a local park or nature preserve and enjoy your surroundings and clear your mind at the sametime.

My life philosophy is to treat my body with more respect than the car I don't own. I can replace a car but a body is more expensive to repair and should last longer.

As others said, it's a ton of walking. Do the best you can to get in the best shape you can. I know my opinion may be different than others, but taking a 2 mile walk every day for a month before your trip will be of very little benefit...IMO most of the benefit you'd get from that is a placebo effect. When you take a 2 mile walk, it'll take you anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on your pace. That's not at all how WDW is. You'll walk 5, 6, 7 miles over the course of 4, 5, 7+ hours. A lot of that time you may be standing as well. So they're really not comparable. Don't get me wrong, taking a walk is never a bad thing, but it's really not going to do a ton for you when preparing for WDW.

I live for walking and I averaged 10 to 12 miles day. You can do this just start on with you fitbit (your best friend) and start with a very modest 2000 steps a day and never decrease any day just add to your total week by week. I know this works because in the last 2 years I have walked 170 pounds off my frame and am almost back to my Marine weight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!