VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I am extremely sad to hear about the demise of the Flag Family. It is one of those things that I read about WL many years ago and had hoped to do one day. Obviously we did not because our first stay there was in June and it wasn't offered then. But I had hoped on a future trip, like the one we are planning to take in June 2018, that we would be able to experience it. It will be a mostly resort only trip and it would have been perfect. :(

On a good note, we received word that Disney waived ROFR on our contract today! It was submitted 7/7, so about 18 days ago. We are extremely excited though I hear it can take about 2 more months before we actually have our member number and points available. KMFX that it goes faster, but not expecting it.
Congratulations, Ariel! Feels good, doesn't it? Here's hoping the points show sooner rather than later. As for school, we have a transition camp next week for rising 5th graders, then the teachers begin their in-service the following week. First day of school is the 15th of August. I clearly remember my schools starting a day or two before Labor Day where we simply went a day or day and a half to learn classrooms, schedules, etc., then began in earnest AFTER Labor Day. We got out the third or fourth week of May, too, so we had an actual summer.
Sleepy, I agree, contacting The Lodge, contacting WDW, voicing our concerns, is the best way possible to reach and letting them know how we(the long time customers)feel about the changes taking place. Sunday, this will be happening on my end. So I encourage others to do the same when time allows. Lets begin the revolution:D
Worth repeating. If anyone needs it, I have the AP/Territory Lounge manager's email address. While he isn't in charge of either RF, GP, or the Flag Family decision, I feel quite certain he would pass along all concerns. He has been very conscientious with concerns we've addressed in the past.

Disney Food Blog has reported that the Magic Bar is "safe" alongside a picture of it nestled in the pastry case.
I'm sure there are many groupies who are looking at your post as a ray of sunshine :goodvibes Thanks for the update.
I've never had one, but will be looking them up!

Disney Food Blog has reported that the Magic Bar is "safe" alongside a picture of it nestled in the pastry case.
Hallelujah! My girls will be so happy! Thanks for the report! I had been looking at all of Humphreys pics and had not seen it.

Ariel, so happy that you will be "official" soon!

I go back to school on the 3rd for inservice. Our kids start the 8th, so we are right behind you Ariel. I checked my courses again last night, and my schedule had changed again. I'm about to lose my patience with those doing the schedule. :rolleyes1 Would like to have some time to prepare before kids are in my room, call me picky if you wish.

Hallelujah! My girls will be so happy! Thanks for the report! I had been looking at all of Humphreys pics and had not seen it.

I go back to school on the 3rd for inservice. Our kids start the 8th, so we are right behind you Ariel. I checked my courses again last night, and my schedule had changed again. I'm about to lose my patience with those doing the schedule. :rolleyes1 Would like to have some time to prepare before kids are in my room, call me picky if you wish.
I finished loading all the kids into the class schedule, and the teachers have known their courses for months. Maybe your schedulers need remedial training. :jester:

Congratulations Ariel! Such an exciting time for you and your family! Just think of all the fun you'll have planning your family vacations.
Thank you!

Boo that you have to begin work so soon. August 7 seems awfully early to me. We're pretty rural and many of our kids participate in 4-H. The culmination of their efforts is the local county fair. Schools here begin after Labor Day.
The only good thing about the early start, is our early finish. We get out before Memorial Day.

Ariel, that is awesome news! While true it can take a couple months to get all the finalizing done, just know its happening. After awhile, I called our rep when we bought resale(new experience for us as we had bough the other contracts via direct)and just touched base where things were at. My suggestion, wait a month then call. If nothing but for peace of mind. But on occasion, it happens really fast. Moose Dust for a quick turnaround!!
Thank you so much for the congrats and the advice!

Congratulations, Ariel! Feels good, doesn't it? Here's hoping the points show sooner rather than later. As for school, we have a transition camp next week for rising 5th graders, then the teachers begin their in-service the following week. First day of school is the 15th of August. I clearly remember my schools starting a day or two before Labor Day where we simply went a day or day and a half to learn classrooms, schedules, etc., then began in earnest AFTER Labor Day. We got out the third or fourth week of May, too, so we had an actual summer.
Thank you!

Yes, kids are in school for so long these days. And like the last 3 weeks are just "review and preview" so it's a waste. But whatever. I swear though, it feels like the school year just ended!

Congratulations, Ariel!
Thank you!

Thank you!

What grade/subject do you teach? I'm first grade so it's fairly straightforward. I got my class list a few weeks back but I don't recognize any of the kids.

Ariel...congratulations and WELCOME HOME with your new DVC purchase! Here's tossing you a little Moose Dust for many years of wonderful trips and endearing memories. :)

Good morning groupies! I was wondering if any of you have ever been to Glacier National Park. We are traveling by Amtrak to Whitefish, Montana in two weeks and will have 3 full days to enjoy and just wondered if anyone has any "Don't miss this" suggestions...

I missed this the other day but yes - I've been to Glacier. My mom's twin sister lives in Whitefish and my uncle worked for the railroad for many years there. Even did Amtrak from MN to Whitefish but that was eons ago (think 70's! :eek:) So I've been thru Glacier now and then for awhile with the last trip being two years ago and I'm trying to find a time to head up still this year and visit my aunt. Definitely going to the Sun Road and there will be lots of stops along that. You can do that road from West to east and then take Hwy 2 back or vice versa. When you get closer to West Glacier coming back along Hwy 2 from East Glacier there is a rocky wall area that often has Mountain goats on it. You will likely see Mt goats up around the summit of Logan Pass - I've often seen them feeding right along the road on the west side just below the summit. Or they may be along the cliff walls if you look towards the north from the visitors center parking lot. Lots of nice hiking around if you'd like some exercise - including heading up from the Logan Pass visitors center.

If you like historic park hotels stop in at Lake MacDonald Lodge. Also Many Glaciers is a beautiful spot to visit - worth the drive up there IMO. I always get a "The Shining" type feel! :rotfl:

What you might want to do is head to the east side of the park to start and do things there while leaving the west side for your second or third day if you don't have time on the first day. Unless you really like driving twisty roads you don't want to have to head all the way back to the East side a second day. :goodvibes

Whitefish has changed from a sleepy railroad town to a mini-Aspen wanna be - I hardly recognized it. Lots of new and old shops around. A nice breakfast stop is the Buffalo Cafe - popular with locals too. Haven't had lunch there but I've heard it's good. Big Mountain operates a chairlift during the summer I believe and will give great views if you have time for a drive up there. And swimming in Whitefish Lake - a must in everyone's life! Brrrrrrrrr!!!!! Columbia Falls has quite a bit going on too. And don't pass up some Huckleberry pie or ice cream while you're in the area! My family has been picking Huckleberries in those mountains for years and years. :)

I finished loading all the kids into the class schedule, and the teachers have known their courses for months. Maybe your schedulers need remedial training. :jester:

You said it, not me Sleepy!!! I think this is the latest we have ever gotten it.

What grade/subject do you teach? I'm first grade so it's fairly straightforward. I got my class list a few weeks back but I don't recognize any of the kids.
I taught 2nd and 3rd grade for 7 years (not a combined classroom) then moved to middle school 3 years ago. I teach 6th grade U.S. History, 7th Grade Civics/Geography, One class of 6th grade English, and this year one class of 8th grade English. :crazy: The 8th grade English is a new prep for me, I've never taught it before. I teach in a "smaller" Christian school so we end up covering more subjects than most secondary teachers. My DD17 will be a senior and has 50 kids in her graduating class. My DD14 is going to be a freshman and has around 80-90 kids in her class. We are a K3-12 grade school. I love my school and my work, but I'm not in love with this schedule. :scared:

We start August 8th and our last day is May 24th, so we do get out before Memorial Day. The public schools here don't go back until the 21st but they get out May 25th. I guess they aren't doing as many days of school as we are.

Ariel congrats so very exciting!!!!! I remember waiting for my member number and info and feeling like it would took forever!!!! We don't start until after Labor Day up here in the Northeast while that is nice a couple years ago we had a bunch of snow days and some kids were in school till the last week of June!!! That was no fun. Makes for a very quick summer.

Looking at planning our April 2018 spring vacation week and am kicking myself for not booking airlines as soon as I saw they were on sale. They increased by about $300.00 per person round trip within a few days time period. Very tough having to go around school schedules.

Ariel...congratulations and WELCOME HOME with your new DVC purchase! Here's tossing you a little Moose Dust for many years of wonderful trips and endearing memories. :)
Thank you!

I taught 2nd and 3rd grade for 7 years (not a combined classroom) then moved to middle school 3 years ago. I teach 6th grade U.S. History, 7th Grade Civics/Geography, One class of 6th grade English, and this year one class of 8th grade English. :crazy: The 8th grade English is a new prep for me, I've never taught it before. I teach in a "smaller" Christian school so we end up covering more subjects than most secondary teachers.
God Bless you, teaching Middle School. I like K-2 but if I had to go up, id prefer high school to middle. Too much puberty...lol.

We start August 8th and our last day is May 24th, so we do get out before Memorial Day. The public schools here don't go back until the 21st but they get out May 25th. I guess they aren't doing as many days of school as we are.
I think the kids are out on May 23rd here (Wednesday) and us, teachers, go to Friday. So we probably have similar days off maybe.

Ariel congrats so very exciting!!!!! I remember waiting for my member number and info and feeling like it would took forever!!!!
Thank you! Yes, I just want it in hand so I can book my June trip! Fortunately, I should have it before the 7 month window opens, so we will still get the home resort priority. Though I'm assuming CC is going to be much more sought after than BRV (WVL) will be, anyway.

We don't start until after Labor Day up here in the Northeast while that is nice a couple years ago we had a bunch of snow days and some kids were in school till the last week of June!!! That was no fun. Makes for a very quick summer.
Yeh, I don't think I would like that at all! But I'm so used to this schedule, it would be weird for it to shift.

Congrats Ariel! :jumping1:

Well the day is just about here. I'm off to my happy place tomorrow! :jumping1: Cannot wait to get back to NZ.

Enjoy the rest of the summer groupie friends. Will see you again mid Aug. :wave2:

Sigh..... No more Flag Family......

Good afternoon Groupies. I just read this page, can someone catch me up on EVERYTHING?? Kidding.:flower1:

I just wanted to say hello, I think of the Groupies often and hope everyone is good.

We hope to attend a meet one of these years (2018 maybe?)

Huugs,

Muush:cloud9:

On a sadder Disney note, I just read that Marty Sklar passed away yesterday. I loved watching him on shows we've recorded over the years. Even through the TV screen, one could see his passion for message and imagination of Disney. I'm thinking he may be the last of the classic Disney World execs who were around from the start and whose vision helped guide the Mouse for so many years. Given the current climate of decision making at Disney, it's especially ironic that he has died.

Welcome, ReginaRJ! I have seen but lost a lot of email addresses over the years in order to complain, but I'm sure someone on here has a few. If not, I'm certain the WL main thread (under Disney Resorts) will have a couple. Please pass those along to us if you do find them. Speaking solely for me, I can't seem to keep up with those emails. As for the Flag Family, Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge page on a very popular social media site (it has faces, but books not so much) has had several reports that it isn't being offered anymore. More than one person has mentioned they specifically asked a CM about it and were all told the same thing, "it has been discontinued."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!