VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

FYI for those of your traveling starting tomorrow through Jan. Magical Express will now pick up 4 hours before your scheduled flight. You can thank MCO TSA for that. So glad I always have a rental & PreCheck.

Dear Lord, four hours? Really?
I saw the TSA's "new" guidelines require all electronics larger than a phone to be pulled into a bucket separately for screening, but don't see how that is any different than the way they've been doing it all along. Don't understand why they say to give ourselves an extra hour to get through security. (Nope, no pre-check here, and not about to dish out $85 x 5 just to get through in a 5 minute line)

Question - is the nature trail to Fort Wilderness open? I recall they closed it during construction of the cabins, but I'm hopeful that wasn't permanent.

Question - is the nature trail to Fort Wilderness open? I recall they closed it during construction of the cabins, but I'm hopeful that wasn't permanent.

It was. Sorry. The bike path is still open but the nature trail is gone the way of the cabins.

Julie (horselover).....if the 4 hr thing continues past the holidays I would also buy the Pre. Yikes.....that is a huge chunk of a travel day.

So I was at F&W Festival last week......if anyone in our Groupies loves to holiday decorate with a "WL theme"---or gifts---- then stop by the Canada pavillion. Really cute stuff. Also Target has a nice "lodge" theme for Christmas tree decor or the wearing whenever. Sharing some photos I took from Epcot Canada:

What Groupie shouldn't be drinking their coffee, tea or hot chocolate out of this?

TARGET:

It was. Sorry. The bike path is still open but the nature trail is gone the way of the cabins.
Well, not entirely. If you go out along the new walkway past the last cabin--8026--you will still find what's left of the sandy trail. It goes on for a couple of hundred yards, and at that point, it may still branch off to the right to hook up with the paved bike path. If you continue straight at that point, though, you will still eventually reach the back employee parking lot at FW as before. However, as horselover implies, the notion of an actual nature trail, marked by a sign, is no longer. Luv and I walked the trail back in July but didn't go far enough to see if the branch to the right still exists. In essence, once off the cabin pathway, you're out in the wilds to some extent, but as a runner, it is still an easy access. ;)

FYI for those of your traveling starting tomorrow through Jan. Magical Express will now pick up 4 hours before your scheduled flight. You can thank MCO TSA for that. So glad I always have a rental & PreCheck.

I saw the TSA's "new" guidelines require all electronics larger than a phone to be pulled into a bucket separately for screening, but don't see how that is any different than the way they've been doing it all along. Don't understand why they say to give ourselves an extra hour to get through security. (Nope, no pre-check here, and not about to dish out $85 x 5 just to get through in a 5 minute line)
Another positive to living so close (Atlanta) that we can drive.

So I was at F&W Festival last week......if anyone in our Groupies loves to holiday decorate with a "WL theme"---or gifts---- then stop by the Canada pavillion. Really cute stuff. Also Target has a nice "lodge" theme for Christmas tree decor or the wearing whenever. Sharing some photos I took from Epcot Canada:

What Groupie shouldn't be drinking their coffee, tea or hot chocolate out of this?

Maria...those are some great items! I think we may have to swing by Canada on our trip in a few weeks and pick up some Moose materials. Thanks for the detective work and for posting the pictures. :)

Is TSA now requiring you to remove your electronics from the bags? For quite awhile if you had an approved bag you could leave your laptop in the bag and just place the bag in the bin. Also they didn't want to see our iPad or any tablet. It will be a real pain to revert back to bringing everything out IMO and time consuming.

Well, not entirely. If you go out along the new walkway past the last cabin--8026--you will still find what's left of the sandy trail. It goes on for a couple of hundred yards, and at that point, it may still branch off to the right to hook up with the paved bike path. If you continue straight at that point, though, you will still eventually reach the back employee parking lot at FW as before. However, as horselover implies, the notion of an actual nature trail, marked by a sign, is no longer. Luv and I walked the trail back in July but didn't go far enough to see if the branch to the right still exists. In essence, once off the cabin pathway, you're out in the wilds to some extent, but as a runner, it is still an easy access. ;)

We just walked to the end of the cabins this afternoon. There is a sign posted indicating the trail is closed and there is a locked gate across the path.

Is TSA now requiring you to remove your electronics from the bags? For quite awhile if you had an approved bag you could leave your laptop in the bag and just place the bag in the bin. Also they didn't want to see our iPad or any tablet. It will be a real pain to revert back to bringing everything out IMO and time consuming.

We just walked to the end of the cabins this afternoon. There is a sign posted indicating the trail is closed and there is a locked gate across the path.
Well, h-e-double toothpicks! That was the last actual vestige of wilderness left at the Lodge and will be sorely missed. I just love it when a corporation takes something really good and makes it less. :sad2:

Yes, this is what I read, hence why they've said to add an hour to checking through security. Although there was mention on another thread that MCO was so backed up at security the officers were simply waiving folk through one or two days recently, telling them to leave everything in their bags and not to take their shoes off. I doubt I'll be that lucky.

Now I don't usually travel with much more than a camera, phone and a laptop, but have always thought it was fine to leave the phone and camera in the bag. I still think that's fine. I always removed my laptop from its case.

Oh the time flies! In 14 days it's WDW at Christmas time! :santa::santa::santa: Really looking forward to this as one of my best friends is coming along! This trip comes on the heels of the Super Heros race weekend at DL last weekend - the last race at DL for some time - maybe forever. :sad: DL started their Holiday time that weekend so I'm all warmed up and ready to see WDW's decorations too! Working on decorating MB's right now and trying to decide if a MVMCP will get added to the plans.

I had not made any ME reservations for the trip in a couple of weeks and decided to set that up today. The CM made certain that I was aware that they were now picking up in the 3 1/2 to 4 hours range. :sad2: We both moaned about that.

One thing I've learned from this is that Uber is somewhere around a $30 /trip to the airport. We might do ME from the airport and then Uber back or a rental car is still on the table. Decisions ,decisions!

As I mentioned Holiday Time was just getting going at DL. This was the tree going up on the morning of the 10th at GC:

At 4:30am
20171110_043021.jpg

At 6:30am

20171110_065257.jpg

8:30 ish:

20171110_081916.jpg

A few more images from around the parks and hotel:
20171110_094650.jpg 20171110_124311.jpg

20171110_135304.jpg

There are no Christmas parties at DL so everyday has the Christmas parade:

20171111_134257.jpg

20171111_173126.jpg

20171111_173430.jpg

And later with icicles:

20171111_222122.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter