VWL bus service

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
What can you tell me about the bus system of VWL/WL? Do they share with other resorts? Is it prompt? I have heard there used to be problems. I just wondered about the current status.

Thanks for any insights!

Ellen

What can you tell me about the bus system of VWL/WL? Do they share with other resorts? Is it prompt? I have heard there used to be problems. I just wondered about the current status.

Thanks for any insights!

Ellen

Let's see. At least as of last October, there is a shared bus stop for WL & VWL. Most of the buses are shared with Fort Wilderness. I can't remember but one of the buses may be shared with one of the other resorts also. For the buses shared with FW, in the morning, the bus stops at WL first and then FW. So you are assured of getting a seat. In the evening, the bus drops off at WL first. I found the bus service to work well. I really didn't ahve to wait long. During my October trip, I didn't use the MK bus because it went to the TTC instead of the MK due to construction at the MK. Instead, I used the boat. However, I beleive that the MK bus now goes directly to the MK again.

Thanks for any insights!

Ellen

There is one bus for VWL and WL. In January, AK and EPCOT busses were shared with FW and picked up at FW before coming to WL. We had problems with busses arriving almost full from FW and only being able to take a handful of WL guests at a time.

Thanks for any insights!

Ellen

We just got back from VWL last night. The park buses were shared with Fort Wilderness, but it picked us up first. The Downtown Disney bus was shared with the Grand Floridian (we went twice, it was the same both times, and we were picked up first again). HTH :) :)

I used the VWL bus in March to get to the MK and Epcot. Worked well both times. On the bus to the MK, it was only me and my DH on the whole bus so we had a nice conversation with the bus driver.

Wouldn't you agree that the quality/"promptness" of any resort's bus service depends on a multitude of variables?

What time of year? What time of day? Which day of the week? Which park are you traveling to/from?

It can make a difference in your personal experiences....

Kathy

I just updated my post over on the FAQ Thread Page 1 and added information about the Bus service I think if you read through this information you'll be ready for anything:

TRANSPORTATION:

You can take a direct Boat or Bus to the Magic Kingdom. Boats also ferry you to Ft Wilderness and the Contemporary. Buses take you EPCOT, Disney-MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, and the water parks.* To reach other resorts, go to the Magic Kingdom (daytime) or Downtown Disney (evening), and then transfer to a resort bus. Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge share many of their bus routes, so travel to and from Fort Wilderness is quite convenient.*

Boats:

As many know there are two separate boat routes that serve Wilderness Lodge:

The Blue Flag Resort Boats Run continuously between the three resorts (Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary Resort and Ft. Wilderness Campground) there are at lest two of these smaller boats that run two routes one clockwise around Bay Lake the other counterclockwise. Always check with the boat Captian as to which resort the boat will be headed for next, this will save you some time by not riding to say Ft. Wilderness if you want the Contemporary.

The smaller Blue Flag Resort Boat holds appx 30 guest are open to the elements and require a guest to transfer from wheelchairs to the boat with a step down. (strollers also need to be folded)

Blue Flag Resort Boats hours of operation are 7:00am till 10:00pm

The larger Green Flag Boats operate between The Wilderness Lodge, Ft. Wilderness Campground and the Magic Kingdom the first boat in the am will start out appx one hour before the Magic Kingdom opens at Ft. Wilderness. Then it arrives at Wilderness Lodge about 7:20am on EMH or 8:20am if normal park hours.

The Green Flag Boats That starts at Ft. Wilderness Campground then Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom, route reverses direction at 3:00 pm. Before 3 it goes clockwise Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge then Magic Kingdom after 3 it goes counterclockwise Magic Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge then Ft. Wilderness Campground. The boat trip itself from WL to MK is about 10 minutes. The boats are suppose to run every 20 minutes or less.

This is so Guest at Wilderness Lodge will have faster service, in the morning most guest are traveling to Magic Kingdom...direct service to the Magic Kindom for deluxe guest. Then in the afternoon most guest are returning to the resort the route reverses...direct service to Wilderness Lodge.

The Green Flag Boat starts running appx one hour before park opening and runs until appx an hour after park closes. It holds appx 150-200 guest. Guest traveling in wheelchairs or ECV's have access without transfering from chairs and strollers may also be left open and rolled directly on board. Note:There is a Warning posted on the dock that states that due to water levels access to wheelchairs /ECV's may not be able to load. (thus the Direct Bus access between Wilderness Lodge and the Magic Kingdom) In over twelve years of visiting Wilderness Lodge I have never seen anyone in a wheelchair or ECV ever not be able to board. Most of the boat is inclosed with AC in the summer and Heat in the winter.

Note: If traveling to the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon or later, the Direct Bus between Wilderness Lodge and Magic Kingdom will save you almost 45 minutes travel time. Same thing applies if you are leaving Magic Kingdom in the am. before the routes have been reversed.

Because everyone seems to question the Bus Service @ Wilderness Lodge I’m going to attempt to post my experiences during my many stays at the Lodge:

The Bus Routes:

Magic Kingdom/Ft Wilderness Campground Busses:

This bus stop shares busses that travel to the Magic Kingdom (Direct route to and from Magic Kingdom) and a second bus that travels to Ft Wilderness Campground this bus goes to the Settlement Depot. (Pioneer Hall/Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue Show) You may ask the driver which location they are going to before boarding.

*Note: The Direct Bus runs between Wilderness Lodge and the Magic Kingdom until after the Magic Kingdom closes then reverts back to the old route to TTC so depending on when your trip is and when the MK closes this could be another option to travel from the Monorail Resorts to or from Wilderness Lodge after normal park hours.

MGM Studio Bus:

This bus arrives @ The Wilderness Lodge first, and then travels to Ft. Wilderness Campground the Settlement Depot. Using this back route the bus doesn’t travel to the front of the Campground (Pioneer Hall/Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue Show) this extra stop only takes a few minutes.

Returning from MGM the bus travels directly to The Wilderness Lodge then continues to Settlement Depot.

EPCOT Bus:

This bus arrives @ The Wilderness Lodge first, and then travels via Vista Blvd. to Outpost Depot at the front entrance of Ft. Wilderness Campground for guest staying at the campgrounds. This may take up to an additional 10 min.
Returning from EPCOT the bus travels directly to The Wilderness Lodge then continues back to the Outpost Depot.

Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach Bus:

This bus arrives @ Wilderness Lodge first, then travels via Seven Seas Drive to the Grand Floridian to board guest, then travels to Blizzard Beach then Animal Kingdom.

Returning from Animal Kingdom the bus stops first @ Blizzard Beach for guest returning to the resorts. Then goes on to Wilderness Lodge followed by the Grand Floridian.

Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon:

This bus arrives @ Wilderness Lodge first, and then travels via Vista Blvd. to Outpost Depot at the front entrance of Ft. Wilderness Campground for guest staying at the campgrounds. This may take up to an additional 10 min. the bus then proceeds to DTD’s Marketplace, Pleasure Island, West Side then Typhoon Lagoon.

Of all the busses this route always takes the longest wait & travel time. This route has to travel in areas with heavy traffic that is off property at times, so please keep this in mind when you take it. I have also heard that this route may also not go to Ft. Wilderness but shares with the Grand Floridian.

*NOTE: With Disney’s On Demand Service Bus Service the routes may change at anytime, during Peak and Off Peak Seasons the routes may also be changed. The above routes I have posted are the routes that have been used on 99% of my visits to the Wilderness Lodge and The Villas @ Wilderness Lodge. I have also encountered new bus drivers that have taken creative liberties with the routes and correct order of each location.

You will arrive to your destination think of the bus ride as an adventure your children will.

WOW!! You are a dream!! I am printing that post to have in my files!!

Thanks so much -

Ellen

We stayed at the WLV beginning of June and the Bus service was awful! Waited over an hour for a bus to DTD and a good 40 to 50 minutes for park buses. Based on our experience we are considering staying off property for our september trip

We stayed at the WLV beginning of June and the Bus service was awful! Waited over an hour for a bus to DTD and a good 40 to 50 minutes for park buses. Based on our experience we are considering staying off property for our september trip

See that kinda freaks me out! I like reasonably accommodating bus service and to me that means about 20 min waits....I'm having such a hard time commiting to this resort for vacation. Uggh!

See that kinda freaks me out! I like reasonably accommodating bus service and to me that means about 20 min waits....I'm having such a hard time commiting to this resort for vacation. Uggh!

Well you may always drive if you have your own car. But the 20 min wait would/should be the max, usually much less time between buses.

I have been staying on property well over 30 years now and only once have I had a bus that just never showed up and it was a bus at DTD. Later I found out the the bus we should have used hadn't changed the sign on the outside of his bus so noone got on. The second time he came by we asked him just where he was going.

All resort buses may have delays, I have stayed in most of the WDW resorts over the many years. The Wilderness Lodge is better then most of them. Like the EPCOT routes when they decide to group all seven resorts together. Or stay at one of the values then try to get back to the resort just like the other two thousand guest at park closing.

Your on vacation relax enjoy the ride.

Hi
Great thread:)

Can I just ask, how long do you think it takes to get from the WL to the MK by boat or bus.

We are staying at the VWL and have to get over to the MK by 8:15 am in September.

Would it be easier/quicker just driving over?

Thanks

Thank you, MAGICINMYHEART! Excellent information!

My DD and I went to DTD using the bus, and I remember a stop at the GF either going or returning, I don't remember which.

Hi

Can I just ask, how long do you think it takes to get from the WL to the MK by boat or bus.

We are staying at the VWL and have to get over to the MK by 8:15 am in September.

Thanks

If it were me, I'd take the bus. It's quicker than the boat (although not as much fun) if you HAVE to be there for an ADR. I don't think it would be any quicker parking your own car than taking the bus. If you park, you still have to take a monorail or boat to get to the MK. The bus drops you off right at the entrance.

Hi

Thanks
The boat to MK is 7 mins tops from the time of boarding. I believe the boat starts running around 7 am or 1 hour before park opening. If you drive you will park in the TTT center parking lot and have to take the monorail or a boat over anyway. I've never waited more than 20-25 mins for a boat. I've also never had to wait more than 25 minutes for a bus either so I thought the transportation was great.

Squitty
First if the day you have a 8:15am appointment is a Early Morning Entry you can take the large Green Flag boat over, the first boat should arrive at the Wilderness dock around 7:20pm.

If it isn't a EMH the Green Flag boat wouldn't be an option because it wouldn't arrive in time.

The smaller resort Blue Flag boats start running at 7:00am so you could opt to ride one of them to the Contemporary then either walk to the Magic Kingdom or enter the Contemporary and catch the Resort Monorail around to the Magic Kingdom (walking would be faster) but it is a 15 minute walk.

The buses start running around 7:00am so I would choose the bus, and be at Bus Stop #1 around 7:20 to make sure I arrived early.

Driving wouldn't be an option for me.

Hi

Thank you for the wonderful information.

It's for our Keys to the Kingdom tour at 8:30am. It's not on a EMH day.

If it was the car option, then it would've been my DH dropping me off at MK and finding my own way back to VWL which I would be more than happy to get the boat back:)

If your DH is going to drop you off remember to just have him drive you to the Contemporary then get out before the Guard Station or have him just turn around and walk a short way to the entrance. (near where the buses drop off guest) There is a paved walkway. Then your husband can drive right back to the Lodge. Don't bother driving to TTC the other way is faster and easier.

Many thanks MAGICinMYHEART, I think that is what we will probably do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter