Virtual Queue

jkh36619

DIS Veteran
Has Disney every toyed with the idea of virtual queuing? It would seem to make sense because the person standing is a line for 2 hours is unable to spend money. However I could see a downside that if no one is standing is lines they are all out in the walkways making the park seem much more crowded. But I would still love something like that.

So you would still get your standard 3 FP's but also able to scan into a virtual queue for a ride. When that is over you may queue another. Everyone in the world has a smart phone now so you could get your notifications that your ride is ready and you have x minutes to get there.

Just a thought

The DMV in our state has this, completely changes dealing with them--You can be in & out in 10-15 minutes. I think you're right that Disney would rather you be eating/drinking/shopping rather than waiting in line. They could also charge for the virtual queue feature.

I agree it is much more simple in theory. I just remember passing up on available reservations before because we were in a long line(I dont do long lines anymore btw) but we ended up hitting a qs meal for much cheaper.

Has Disney every toyed with the idea of virtual queuing? It would seem to make sense because the person standing is a line for 2 hours is unable to spend money. However I could see a downside that if no one is standing is lines they are all out in the walkways making the park seem much more crowded. But I would still love something like that.

So you would still get your standard 3 FP's but also able to scan into a virtual queue for a ride. When that is over you may queue another. Everyone in the world has a smart phone now so you could get your notifications that your ride is ready and you have x minutes to get there.

Just a thought

I mean, that's basically what the old FP- system was, - you'd go up and get a FP for a later, determined time

Guess they could do that but with no standby queue, only FP - issue I see is what if they run out for the day, are people that show up late just out of luck?

also, i think saying "everyone has a smart phone" is drastically overstating it. I know a lot of people that do not

I mean, that's basically what the old FP- system was, - you'd go up and get a FP for a later, determined time

Guess they could do that but with no standby queue, only FP - issue I see is what if they run out for the day, are people that show up late just out of luck?

also, i think saying "everyone has a smart phone" is drastically overstating it. I know a lot of people that do not

Yes, Im staying doing away with Stand By all together. If you dont have smart phone you get a restaurant buzzer

Just a thought
Disney tested virtual queues at Typhoon Lagoon but it didn't catch on after the short test.

I don't think it will ever work at a theme park. The problem with a virtue queue is that more people are "in line" overall which drives up wait times.

Right now if your eating lunch or shopping you are not in a line but you will be in one with a VQ.

A line with standby might be 45 minutes but over 60 with a VQ.

I don't think it will ever work at a theme park. The problem with a virtue queue is that more people are "in line" overall which drives up wait times.

Right now if your eating lunch or shopping you are not in a line but you will be in one with a VQ.

Right...it would then be the entire day's attendance standing around trying to figure out what to do...it wouldn't work.

And...there's no upsell potential

You guys are probably right. But me sitting on a bench drinking a cold Schofferhofer on a sunny afternoon waiting on my phone to buzz telling me that my place in line is ready sure is a nice thought.... :)

You're right that the wait times would technically be longer, but the longer waits would include time that you would have spent doing something else. For example, with the current system, if you wanted to shop for 15 minutes, that would add 15 to the time it would take for you to get onto your next ride. So the difference would be spending 15 minutes shopping then 45 minutes standing in line vs. spending 60 minutes on a virtual queue, during which you can be shopping the entire time.

As universal has shown, it just doesn't work. If a ride handles 1200 people per hour, someone has to board the ride every three seconds for there to be no line.

The only way they can maintain that kind of flow is to have them orderly and waiting. In order for this to work, they would need a steady flow of people all day long walking toward the boarding point. This steady flow of people (lets call it a line) will cross the paths and interfere with regular traffic of the whole park if it isn't controlled or corralled into a reserved area for the "line".... hmmm what should we call this...... maybe a cue.......

Just a thought
The new way disability passes work is similar to a virtual queue fwiw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts