Very unDisney Experience with Universal (LONG)

beachbunny

DIS Veteran
After visiting WDW every year for a decade, this was finally going to be the year I left Disney property and explored the other themepark -- mainly because I could get cheap admission. Sadly, it is not meant to be.

I had read the buy 2 days get the 3rd free (days never expire AND under $90 per ticket) post last month. Procrastination being my middle name and wanting to hold onto my money until the last possible minute, I waited until the last day of the sale, today, to purchase my tickets. I went to the Universal website to purchase the tickets. Lo and behold, the special was no longer listed. I called Universal's internet customer service CM who had no idea what I was talking about. I was offered a ticket that expires in 7 days for $95. No thank you. Since I also have a fan card, I next called the fan card number. This CM explained to me that he had no idea what was advertised on the internet. He also said that Universal is now experimenting with different ticketing options and if it's no longer there (on the website), then it's not for sale. He then offered to sell me a 2 day ticket get the 3rd free which expires 7 days after initial use for $89 which he said was also for sale at the gate. Again, no thank you.

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms what is the best deal I can get on a two day ticket? I've got memberships (AAA, fan club, etc.) up the wazoo so that's not a problem.

There's another post on this board that is 3 pages long and has a hyperlink to the site where you can find the '3 days for the price of 2' offer. It doesn't have to be used in 7 days.

The site is www.floridakiss.com
Click onto the 'special deals' on the right lower corner [or something like that] and than click on 'attractions' on the bottom of the page . There are a bunch of offers, and if you scroll down past the boxes you will see the Universal ticket offer, with the link. Says it's valid until end of May. I've been unable to connect to that link with my computer at home, but have accessed it at work. You must then order on line, not by any other means.
I'm sure someone else will respond and might be able to provide you with the link. In the meantime, scroll down this site and look for the thread about a great rate at ioa/usl. Good luck! Sorry I'm not more computer savvy to be able to connect you directly.

If you're a AAA member, look into getting the $99 AP deal. I can't recall if it expires this month or next. With the AP discounts, you'll come out ahead from the 7 day $89 ticket.

Thanks kda, that's the one I've been trying to book all day -- without success.

Barry, I would purchase the AAA AP deal but for me that may not be a deal because I may only visit Universal one or two days in a year. Who knows, I may go ga-ga over Universal, but I've visited Universal California many times and it just wasn't my thing. That's why I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a multi-day passport if there's the possibility I may only use one or two days. Also, I had my heart set on a multi-day passport because I had read that you can get more than one fastpass (forgive my Disney-speak) at a time? So if you were in my shoes, would you purchase the AP?

Thanks anyway for the suggestions...

How many days do you need? Are you looking for something with a free day that never expires? When are you coming down?

They have been changing the specials, I think they are trying really hard to offer good deals to people, and I think they're doing a good job, personally. I'm confused...you said to kda that you were trying to book that deal all day. Did you try to book it through Universal or through floridakiss.com or both? I know they've extended their offer until May (floridakiss.com) so what happened when you tried them? I just followed the link and went right to the order page...

I will say this...now don't get me wrong...I know it's frustrating when you believe something isn't being offered that you believed would still be offered, but you don't see Disney offering anything CLOSE to the deals that USF has been offering to its guests...ever. Have you ever seen Disney offering a free day?:eek:
Be patient, it will work out...and let us know if you have any questions....we're here to try to help!
Oh, also, I believe you get the same Express-pass access with AP's as with multi-day passes. Of course, with the AP, you get dining and shopping discounts...as well as free parking.
Karen

The buy 2 days get 3rd day free is definitely still available. When you get to the floridakiss.com site click on the "Great Offers" circle on the right side and when that page comes up, scroll to the bottom and click on the red "attractions" button. At the bottom of that page is a link to www.universalorlando.com/kissoffer and that will take you straight to the offer. Good luck! :bounce:

In fact, you can click on the link in my message to get to it.

We were there in August and I didn't think we could get more than one fastpass at a time with our multiday pass. If so, we blew it. When you stay onsite (this spring!!!!) you get front of the line access on all but a few rides, so you can just go from one to another. Even if you stayed 1 night (rates of $150+tax at Portofino Bay and $125+tax @ HRH with the Entertainment card), you can get your room key and get front of the line access for that day and the next one. I'd read that some people just returned and it wasn't busy, but when it is, this seems like a GREAT perk.

We were there Easter week (the term "crowded" doesn't do it justice!), and the days we spent at USF/IOA with the front of the line priviledge were the BEST! The extra $$ we spent on the room at PBH was more than worth it for this perk alone, and it's a BEAUTIFUL hotel to boot...put the Contemporary to shame!

Thanks for the help! After two days, I was finally able to book the kissoffer ... I think. When it came time for the confirmation, the website gave me a telephone number to call because traffic was too heavy?

FYI, like a couple of other people on this board, I was also getting the java error. I had to use another computer to get through. Also, when I just logged on to the Universal Orlando website, the offer wasn't there. The special listed on the website was the $89 for a week pass. I had to use the link to find the buy 2 get the 3rd free offer.

One thing you do have to admit is that the USF website is not easy to navigate at all. The site has too many loops that take you to the same page you were at, opens too many new windows that can overwhelm your puter's memory and too many links taking you to where you were at first!

Hopefully, they'll look into fixing it.

Wanda

Disney doesn't discount tickets or give free days at all so how could there ever be a comparable experience. Just because someone said they got some offer on this message board or if you saw it on the Universal website last week, doesn't mean that the offer is still valid.

You concede that you waited until the last day of the sale so technically if it was supposed to end on that day, Universal would be right to remove it from it's website.

As the saying goes, if you snooze you lose. If you see a good deal you should grab it.

You were offended at the offer for a 2-day ticket with the 3rd day free for $89 and can be used within the next 7-days. That is an excellent deal for a 3-day Universal pass.

I am personally offended at Disney for charging $55 for a one day pass to Epcot, the theme park stuck in the 80's. They should give me 2 weeks at Epcot for $55 if they were charging a fair value based on the quality and freshness of the 1988 attractions. Man that O Canada Movie, worth the price of admission alone!!!! or what about the China pavilion movie, isn't it nice knowing that everyone picture in the movie is probably dead.

Universal = invests money on unique and technologically innovative attractions thus giving you so much value for your money that admission is worth the full price.

Disney = invests in cheap carnival rides as a sham to give the false impression that they have new and exciting attractions when in reality they have lost their creative edge. Truly is there any excuse for Disney not opening a new e-ticket attraction since 1996?

I hate to witness petty Disney vs Universal catfights. I love both parks, and love them for their different attractions. I get the genuine feel of riding the movies at Universal. It is a rush. I love Disney for the spirit (maybe what they call "magic"). Both are different and unique in their own ways, it is like comparing apples and oranges.

Although they both poke a hole in my wallet when I visit, neither treat me better than they treat members of the press and VIPs. I never get free admission, meals, valuable promo items, priority seating in awesome viewing areas, free cruise trips and shows.

True, Universal does give a lot for your money. But for speaking on behalf of one or the other passionately, neither of them even give a coupon for a free ice cream to any loyal follower. I'd keep that in mind...

Wanda

I'm glad you finally got your tickets...but what does the title of the post have to do with your problem. What was so non-Disney? You do know they are not the same place? Or are you saying that Disney customer service is in better tune with what is published on the website? I find that not to be the case.

Europa, I guess I wasn't clear. That was a reference to the way I felt I was treated by the Universal customer service representatives. They would not go an inch out of their way to see if the ticket I wanted was still there on the website somewhere. Also, the hard sell never works well on me and when they kept pushing the new 7 day ticket, it turned me off. Now this is just based on personal experience, but I've never faced a hard sell from Disney.

Jon 360, whoa! I never criticized USF. All I said is that Universal California was not my cup of tea and that I didn't want to invest in a multi-day pass which was going to expire in 7 days if I only ended up using one day. Also, when I see an advertisement and it says it will expire on a certain day, I take them at their word. Otherwise, it's called fraud. By the way, the special that I wanted, 3 days that NEVER expire, was extended until the end of May. Problem is that the Universal website is SOOOOO hard to navigate that you can only reach that special with a direct link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter