Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

09388B92-2A63-486B-B68E-DAE39A171919.jpeg
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had information on what is served to vegetarians at Garden Grill. This time I will have my two little guys with me so I was also wondering about vegetarian kids there.
That was one vegetarian serving in 2016! Seriously massive amount of food

Just wanted to add that I ate at Garden Grill about six weeks and was surprised how good the "meatloaf" was. The meal, overall, was excellent and I would go back in a heartbeat if not for the price. (We were on DDP but are usually OOP.)

Also... question. Are there any vegetarian hidden gems at MK? A few years ago I could get Lighthouse Sandwich, nachos at Casey's, potato quinoa burger at LTT... now it feels like I'm down to "nachos sub beans" at Pecos Bill's and the falafel sandwich at Cosmic Ray's. Oh, and the Caprese flatbread at Pinocchio - it's good but so.many.flatbreads! I do have a mushroom allergy, so that complicates things (no BoG ratatouille, for example.) We spend a lot of time at MK and I have friends that love their QS. Hoping I've missed a few gems!

Are there any vegetarian hidden gems at MK?

Not to be a downer, but (imho) the answer is no. The place is very nearly a food desert. And it's even more depressing for vegans. My best trick for dealing with MK food is to limit my time in the park and make arrangements for a meal at one of the Monorail resorts. I'm sorry you can't do BoG because that's one of the only places in MK that I find worthwhile. When I was just vegetarian, I did have a good meal at Tony's Town Square so maybe that's worth looking into for you -- very tasty veggie lasagna, iirc, but I can neither confirm nor deny presence of `shrooms -- but I've not been back in ages as I doubt their ability to work with vegans.

I heard Columbia Harbor House has a vegan chili that's supposed to be good, but they closed early the one time I had plans to try it, so I can't confirm anything except that attempting to eat quick service in MK is a mistake.

Not to be a downer, but (imho) the answer is no. The place is very nearly a food desert. And it's even more depressing for vegans. My best trick for dealing with MK food is to limit my time in the park and make arrangements for a meal at one of the Monorail resorts. I'm sorry you can't do BoG because that's one of the only places in MK that I find worthwhile. When I was just vegetarian, I did have a good meal at Tony's Town Square so maybe that's worth looking into for you -- very tasty veggie lasagna, iirc, but I can neither confirm nor deny presence of `shrooms -- but I've not been back in ages as I doubt their ability to work with vegans.

I heard Columbia Harbor House has a vegan chili that's supposed to be good, but they closed early the one time I had plans to try it, so I can't confirm anything except that attempting to eat quick service in MK is a mistake.

I hate to agree--really, I wish I didn't have to agree!--but MK is a vegan QS nightmare. I don't like chili at all and the chili at CHH is absolutely not going to convert me. Used to be you could get an ear of corn in the carts outside CHH, but they're gone too. Not that an ear of corn is a meal. It isn't! Cosmic Ray's used to have a vegan burger. No more. I hear the vegetarian (not vegan) falafel--the only veg choice there--is not good at all. There may be something at Pecos Bill's, maybe, but I've never had this myself and I'd hate to stand in line only to find out that there really is no vegan option.

I've written to WDW about this more than once, and I sent them a really detailed email after they took the Lighthouse Sandwich off the menu at CHH, basically begging them to at the very least have vegan veggie burgers available at a QS location or two. So far, my pleas have produced only very nice emails from WDW in response, but zero action.

It's really annoying that 10 years ago it used to be easier to get vegan choices at MK. It's like they've gone backward. Their main concern seems to be the allergy menu--and of course that's extremely important! But they've left vegans and vegetarians in the dust.

Not a fan of BOG myself--the food I had there was just fair. And, as you know, you can't just walk up. You need to make a reservations months in advance. For dinner, if you don't like eggplant, which I don't, you're out of luck.

I guess I'll be going to the GFC a lot on my upcoming trip. They'll make the miso salmon with tofu instead--the rest of the dish is already vegan--and a good salad. Not a QS meal at all and a lot more $, but delish.

If anyone's had a good QS vegan meal at MK recently, please post! Your desperate vegan and vegetarian Disney-loving friends await the good news!

There may be something at Pecos Bill's, maybe...

It's tortilla chips with black beans on them. There's a toppings bar to add guac and salsa and maybe a few other things (maybe olives and onions, if I remember right?) So yeah, not a good meal and Pecos Bill's queue setup is the same as Cosmic Ray's so you're totally in the way and making way too much bodily contact with all the "normal people" pushing past you while you're waiting 20 minutes for your "special" tortilla chips. It felt real bad and I don't recommend it.

I'm super sorry you didn't like BoG. That ratatouille recipe is very nearly the one Chef Keller developed for one of my favorite movies! Though I suppose my love for the movie probably gives me rose-colored glasses when evaluating the dish, and it's super sad that all the other MK chefs are actively trying to prove that the point of Ratatouille was incorrect and that many people actually cannot cook. :P

Boo. The chili (which I forgot about) has mushrooms. I want to say - though I'm not certain - that in addition to the black beans (and cheese, if you're not vegan) there are sautéed peppers and onions... it's also possible I mixed it up with another location. It's not a *terrible* meal all things considered but it's definitely "scraps."

I actually liked the falafel burger. Pleasant surprise. But I mean... that's it, really. And I agree, it was easier to eat veg when I started being a frequent Disney traveler circa 2010 or so. Really frustrating.

Thanks, all, for your responses!

We just got back from WDW and were shocked to find the Lighthouse sandwich missing from Columbia Harbor House! Somehow I missed the news that our favorite counter service restaurant has basically disappeared for us. I wanted to talk to Guest Services, but I tried about 4 times, and each time the line was out into Town Square. I guess lots of other people were disappointed about the Lighthouse , as well. :P

What's the best way to contact them? email? Letter? sky writing?

By the way, we did find several tasty meals last week. The fried green tomato sandwich at the Plaza was a nice surprise. I'm a falafel fan, so the falafel burger in HS and falafels in AK were nice.

Let's see... what else? Olivia's at OKW made a seafood stew without the seafood that I enjoyed, but it was way too much food for one person. Mama Melrose gets a thumbs-up, too. We had a great character breakfast at Tusker House. The change-over to lunchtime happened about 11:30, and although I wanted to hang around a bit more popcorn::, the rest of my family was ready to move on. I still made sure to nab a couple samosas on the way out, though...

Please recommend a good breakfast place for breakfast vegan on site or at the parks. Half my party will not eat any dairy or eggs, one will eat those but no meat. Also is it worth California grill for dinner? Trying to time reservation for the happily ever fireworks. Don’t want to pay the $$$ if the family won’t enjoy any food

Please recommend a good breakfast place for breakfast vegan on site or at the parks. Half my party will not eat any dairy or eggs, one will eat those but no meat. Also is it worth California grill for dinner? Trying to time reservation for the happily ever fireworks. Don’t want to pay the $$$ if the family won’t enjoy any food

For vegan breakfast--if you want to do it up big, Tusker House at DAK or Boma at AKL. BOG has a pastry selection from Erin McKenna's. Many of the resort CS places will make vegan Mickey waffles. You have to ask for these, they're the gluten-free waffles, which are also vegan.

I've never eaten at Calif Grill, because I don't know if they'd have anything there for me, so I hope someone else will comment on that.

For vegan breakfast--if you want to do it up big, Tusker House at DAK or Boma at AKL. BOG has a pastry selection from Erin McKenna's. Many of the resort CS places will make vegan Mickey waffles. You have to ask for these, they're the gluten-free waffles, which are also vegan.

I've never eaten at Calif Grill, because I don't know if they'd have anything there for me, so I hope someone else will comment on that.

Does anyone know if Ohana will still do a good vegan selection? We do eat eggs, but I've heard that they do a good job with vegan items. Plus, it's a character breakfast where THEY BRING THE FOOD TO YOU.

What are they putting in falafel to make it non vegan? I mean, neither dairy nor egg belongs in falafel. Nor honey. What on earth?

There's tzatziki in it (dairy) and when I was there last year, the bun it was served on wasn't vegan, which would leave one with the falafels themselves, but no sauce and no bun. The bun is listed as being brioche, so it's made with butter.

For a pretty up-to-date list of vegan options: https://vegandisneyworld.com/vegan-options/vegan-magic-kingdom/

ETA: link to Vegan Disney

There's tzaziki IN the falafel?

Or it's a sauce on the bun? Wait. Bun?

So this is a dish of falafel and sauce and a bun. Well that makes more sense. I thought it was just the falafel.

Falafel and pita, yum. Falafel and brioche bun? Bleah.

The tzatziki is sauce on the falafel. So I guess if you just get the falafel, no bun, no sauce, it's vegan. But is that a meal? I think not.

The falafel us more like a burger... made a falafel... with tzatziki instead of ketchup.

I enjoyed it, but I was also pretty desperate for a meal when I got it (my other restaurant choices were closed) so I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed anything that I could eat without getting sick or dying ;) I do recall it being VERY messy though.

Maybe someone who has been to DW lately could put up a 'spreadsheet type' list of all Vegetarian meals /menus in DW? A big project for sure, but it would be great!

Just checked out the new restaurant Ale and Compass menu and was shocked at the vegetarian and vegan options! It's opening at the Yacht Club at the end of November.

The vegan breakfast sounds amazing (as does the lunch and dinner) and the kids meals can easily be made vegetarian or vegan (lunch or dinner) by subbing the meat for vegan sausage. No macaroni and cheese, pizza or pb&j here!

Now I just have to figure out how to work it into the schedule.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/yacht-club-resort/ale-and-compass/

Maybe someone who has been to DW lately could put up a 'spreadsheet type' list of all Vegetarian meals /menus in DW? A big project for sure, but it would be great!

The trouble is they change CONSTANTLY and with little notice. Sometimes the online menus are not even up to date (although they're getting better.) Still, it could work - maybe a group project via an editable Google sheet?

I finally scored a BOG lunch. Yay! However, looking over the kids menu I see that the grilled cheese and tomato soup was replaced with chicken noodle soup making it no longer a vegetarian option. Do you think I could request the soup be replaced with the leek and potato soup for my boys? I don't know if that's on option online for preordering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!