USA Soccer barely beats Martinique

Well I don't think anybody here has said that they expect the USA to beat Germany or Spain or Brazil or Italy. Come on people, you're exaggerating this beyond belief.

Not many teams can beat Germany - they are a force.

That being said, once upon a time we played Germany in the final 8 of the world cup and played them hard. - 2002

We also played Italy to a draw in a world cup...that was the only game Italy did not WIN in their world cup year of 2006

There was a time we beat Spain in the Confederations Cup 2009 and actually led Brazil in the final 2-0 at the half.

So i don't think its out of the question to think the USA can compete with the top teams in the world. We have actually gone backwards since the early/mid 2000s in my opinion.

I do think your 100 percent right, even with a weaker squad in this tournament...we should be handling this competition easily.

Well I don't think anybody here has said that they expect the USA to beat Germany or Spain or Brazil or Italy. Come on people, you're exaggerating this beyond belief.

Back when the World Cup was held in the U.S. in 1994, many predicted that in 20 years (2014) the Americans WOULD be on the same level as those countries and possibly win the World Cup. I don't know if that was just wishful thinking, or if something didn't work out as planned.

Back when the World Cup was held in the U.S. in 1994, many predicted that in 20 years (2014) the Americans WOULD be on the same level as those countries and possibly win the World Cup. I don't know if that was just wishful thinking, or if something didn't work out as planned.

I don't believe we will ever be on their level. But we should dominate our region, including Mexico.

Now that they've bolstered the roster for the knockout stages, it'll be interesting to see how they perform. I think they've been playing better overall since Arena took over and there are some really strong young players coming up, so I still have hope for the near future.

Gold Cup is kind of a meh tournament anyways, but if, at minimum, it's not a US-Mexico final, there's something seriously wrong.

University soccer teams only play about 19 matches a year. The season is short and not very arduous in terms of pure athleticism (though it is arduous when you factor in juggling academics). And the competition is still weak compared to Europe. The best players are going pro at 18 in Europe.

US soccer players are always getting better as a whole, but it's not even close: MLS teams are a shadow of the competition seen in Europe.

University soccer teams only play about 19 matches a year. The season is short and not very arduous in terms of pure athleticism (though it is arduous when you factor in juggling academics). And the competition is still weak compared to Europe. The best players are going pro at 18 in Europe.

US soccer players are always getting better as a whole, but it's not even close: MLS teams are a shadow of the competition seen in Europe.
Do college soccer players also play club? I understand maybe not while "in season", but during the off season?

And yet somehow that poor college system produces the best female soccer players/team in the World.

The issue for the US is that soccer is probably the 4th tier, our best athletes are playing football, basketball and baseball. Not saying that no elite athletes choose soccer, but it isn't the top sport for the US like it is in other countries.

And yet somehow that poor college system produces the best female soccer players/team in the World.

The issue for the US is that soccer is probably the 4th tier, our best athletes are playing football, basketball and baseball. Not saying that no elite athletes choose soccer, but it isn't the top sport for the US like it is in other countries.

It's a poor comparison. Europe doesn't take women's soccer as serious as it does men's sport.

It's a poor comparison. Europe doesn't take women's soccer as serious as it does men's sport.

And likewise the US doesn't fund women's soccer even at the level of the far inferior USMNT.

It is 100% valid, the USWNT has struggled some at the HS age, but catches up and becomes the dominant force in and after college, that is a direct result of the development model in top level NCAA universities.

The USWNT under 17 side in the last 5 U17 World Cups?

2008- 2nd Place
2010- Did not qualify
2012- Group Stage knockout
2014- Did not qualify
2016- Group Stage knockout

Now the U20 (after girls start college)
2008- Champions
2010- Quarterfinals
2012- Champions
2014- Quarterfinals
2016- 4th

Then the senior team has not finished outside the top 3 in any Women's world cup (winning 3 of 7) and has won 4 of the last 6 Olympic Golds with a runner up and quarterfinal appearance in the other two.

The more the USMNT has focused on the current direction the lower we've sunk, we are almost at an all time low rankings wise (35th, 36th was our lowest ever in 2012).

Wishful thinking. I think they just thought that soccer was going to take off. Well the harsh reality is Soccer is still a niche sport in the U.S. Other countries are 100% ga ga over it. The U.S. losing in soccer pains me about as much as the U.S. losing in ping pong.

Last edited:
Gold Cup Victory!!!!!!!!!

Finally a victory worth something. Good job guys!!! When Altidore and Dempsey are on their game, the team looks outstanding.
So we beat Jamaica, ranked 72nd in the world by only one goal, and have to get that one in the closing minutes, but now the team looks "outstanding"? ;) With the exception of TOP, we dominated the stats more against Martinique.

Great to see them be top of Concacaf - always good but September 1st and 5th are big ones.....lets punch the ticket to the World Cup.

I still say this team has taken steps back but i want to see it get there and make a run. Go Go USA!

So we beat Jamaica, ranked 72nd in the world by only one goal, and have to get that one in the closing minutes, but now the team looks "outstanding"? ;) With the exception of TOP, we dominated the stats more against Martinique.

We play who we play bro. Jamaica beat Mexico so how can you fault the U.S. for beating the team that got there? Strange argument. The U.S. looked much better since getting out of group. Convincing wins against the rest of the competition. Also, the U.S. should have scored several more goals but the Jamaican goalie played out of his mind. That happens sometimes.

Do college soccer players also play club? I understand maybe not while "in season", but during the off season?

No, they practice and have a few friendlies during the off-season.

My college soccer player (Men's D3) leaves to go back to school 2 weeks early for pre-season on August 18th, he'll play his collegiate season (+/- 18 games plus tournament in 2 months). They start team workouts about 3 weeks after their last game, and have a formal off season program for over semester break, and when they go back for 2nd semester. They play 3 scrimmages, and practice 3x a week from March thru May.

He plays on a U23 team from his former youth club, and that just finished up about 2 weeks ago.

So in his case, yes, he does play club, and despite him playing D3 it's pretty much a year round commitment.

We play who we play bro. Jamaica beat Mexico so how can you fault the U.S. for beating the team that got there? Strange argument. The U.S. looked much better since getting out of group. Convincing wins against the rest of the competition. Also, the U.S. should have scored several more goals but the Jamaican goalie played out of his mind. That happens sometimes.
Two weeks ago you were complaining about a 1 goal victory when the US didn't even have their best players. Here's a reminder...

Indeed that's true but it's not true in this example about Martinique. That team's players aren't even full pros, they are semi pros, and I would venture that most of them don't even make a living from soccer, they have to work another job.

We should be able to field our Under 21 C team and beat them.
Now, the US plays their best player and has to go to the final minutes to pull off a victory. Of course they looked better when they got out of group... they added 6 of their 'A' players. Which is what I pointed out earlier.

Two weeks ago you were complaining about a 1 goal victory when the US didn't even have their best players. Here's a reminder...

Now, the US plays their best player and has to go to the final minutes to pull off a victory. Of course they looked better when they got out of group... they added 6 of their 'A' players. Which is what I pointed out earlier.

It's not about the final score. It's about how the team looks. They looked like garbage against Martinique. They looked great last night. I don't actually think you watched the game, maybe just the highlights on ESPN.

The game against Martinique was in group qualifying. The game against Jamaica was for Cup Final. As Big Bird would say, "one of these things is not like the other."

It's not about the final score. It's about how the team looks. They looked like garbage against Martinique. They looked great last night. I don't actually think you watched the game, maybe just the highlights on ESPN.

The game against Martinique was in group qualifying. The game against Jamaica was for Cup Final. As Big Bird would say, "one of these things is not like the other."
Have you heard what happens when you make assumptions? I'd suggest stopping.

The game against Martinique was with the lower players (no offense to them). When the US got out of the group stage, they went back to more A players. Which is what got pointed out after the Martinique game. US vs. Martinique = B team. US vs. Jamaica = A team. "one of these things is not like the other". However, what was posted here two weeks ago was how the US was an embarrassment and how they'll never be able to compete against "the big boys".

Now they're "great". I agree they looked better, but they should... THEY HAD DIFFERENT PLAYERS. Jamaica isn't exactly strong competition. I don't think you can look at Wednesday's game and say "OK, we're ready". There's a lot of work left to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they won. It's the "oh they're awful" to "they're great!" mood swing I'm pointing out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter