Upset Stomach after Half Marathons...

Disney G Dog

B R Guest
Just need some help with a problem that I continue to have. It seems after every half marathon I do, I get an upset stomach. I've watched what I eat the day before, the morning of, right after the race, etc...I've tried GU packs and then I've laid off of them, thinking that might be the problem. I had a bottle of water and a banana before the Disney Half. Right after the race, I drank a bottle of water and ate an orange. I started to get sick in the bus line and by the time I got to Saratoga, I was driving the white bus. LOL I racewalk and I keep about an 11:30 pace when I do minis. I did five minis last season and I got sick after four of them. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I'm doing/not doing or a "miracle supplement" that will keep the queezies away? Thanks!

Here is my experience--same symptoms. I would feel great and then end up nausous for hours. This would even happen after long runs.

First really look at your fluid intake. Weigh yourself before and after runs to see if you really are getting enough to drink during the race. I thought I was drinking enough, but I wasn't. Second, try consuming something salty immediately upon stopping. Hold off on oranges or fruit. Try salty pretzels or peanuts or even trail mix. Pretzel mms are good. I found that getting salt in as soon as I finished running really helped. Third, think about your speed. Is this only happening after 1/2s or on training runs? If it's only during races, it could be a simple case of running too hard for your training level.

Last, you might want to talk to your doctor. I have a bunch of other things going on as well when I don't run, but the bottom line is, she was concerned that something was causing an electrolyte imbalance. I ended up going gluten-free and I think it might be the answer for me. I have only had one long run since going gluten free, but I felt great, and did not have to eat anything salty and did not have any other unpleasant end of run symptoms:thumbsup2.

I am not advocating that as a cure for nausea, but it seems that my body just wasn't digesting food the way it was supposed to. So, you might want to mention the issue to your doctor and see if she thinks something else could be causing the electrolye imbalance.

Good luck. It is really frustrating that something that is supposed to be good for you can make you feel so cruddy.

Do you normally have stomach problems after running? Or just after a race? If both, get yourself to the doctor. An upset stomach after physical exertion can be a sign of a heart condition. Don't fool around with that. If it is just after the race, then it is probably another cause like Rose&Mike said.

Very well could be due to Rose&Mike's reply but I will throw something your way. This is not from long time experiences rather physically feeling a difference and not continuing with the racewalking method.

I speedwalk not racewalk but have attempted to racewalk. When I tried to racewalk I felt more impact when making ground contact. Any impact will be transmitted up legs and into your abdomen. When competing as opposed to training, you are increasing the frequency of impact and possibly the force of impact. All this additional pressure could lead to the upset stomach. Sounds far fetched but possible.

My walking technique has virtually no heel contact, Chi Walking, therefore a very soft foot plant. Last Thursday my 1/2M pace was 10:42, yesterday's 10K was 9:37 and my Full for the Goofy was 11:07 so I think I can relate as a walker not runner.

Good luck and keep us posted. Always good to read the solution.

My long training walks are usually between 10-14 miles but my pace is around a 12:30 or so. In the race I will usually knock about 40 seconds off per mile. I am increasing frequency and possibly the force of my heel hitting as well. Never gave it much thought about it affecting my abs. I never, ever get sick on a training walk...just the races. Hmmm...all your ideas give me something to work on.

Thanks!

DGD

I experienced this after the WDW Half as well. I was sick ALL day. It didn't hit me until about 30 minutes after I stopped running. I was so sick on the Monorail that people were jumping up to give me their seat. It was not a happy feeling. I just assumed that it was because I was nervous and it didn't really hit me until we stopped that I had actually run 13 miles! I also thought that it had to do with the fact that I had not run more than 3 miles until the day we ran the half. I plan on doing more runs but am afraid that I will continue to get sick.

My long training walks are usually between 10-14 miles but my pace is around a 12:30 or so. In the race I will usually knock about 40 seconds off per mile. I am increasing frequency and possibly the force of my heel hitting as well. Never gave it much thought about it affecting my abs. I never, ever get sick on a training walk...just the races. Hmmm...all your ideas give me something to work on.

Thanks!

DGD

After responding to your post I went out and did a 10 mile fat burner at a 10:52. Tried a little racewalking again and as before not comfortable with the contact. I could be totally wrong but thought it might be something you could compare next time out at training pace and race pace. That 40 seconds over a long distance could make a difference.

Good luck.

I experienced this after the WDW Half as well. I was sick ALL day. It didn't hit me until about 30 minutes after I stopped running. I was so sick on the Monorail that people were jumping up to give me their seat. It was not a happy feeling. I just assumed that it was because I was nervous and it didn't really hit me until we stopped that I had actually run 13 miles! I also thought that it had to do with the fact that I had not run more than 3 miles until the day we ran the half. I plan on doing more runs but am afraid that I will continue to get sick.

Not preparing for the greater distances and then the total lack of stress once completed can cause the body to react violently. When I trained for my 200 mile bicycle ride on Halloween 2009 I ramped up with my max. before being 160 miles. I once bonked at 92 miles of a 100 mile ride and learned my lesson. Because of the ramping I felt great after the 200 so I decided to implement that form of training when I started to get into walking last January, 2010. Even though the Full this January was my first Racing Full, I had already walked a marathon distance a couple times just to familiarize my body to the time, distance and effort required.

By lengthening your training runs I bet you will be fine.

Congratulations on your achievement.

Runners trots....my biggest race day fear ever. Had it occur DURING the race last year...not Princess though. Painful from potty to potty. Be grateful for Nausea AFTER the race.

That was me during the Wine & Dine. The worst run ever, training or racing. Not quite as worried about it for the Princess because it's early in the a.m. & I won't really be eating much beforehand. But, in a word,,,Immodium, just to be sure.

That was me during the Wine & Dine. The worst run ever, training or racing. Not quite as worried about it for the Princess because it's early in the a.m. & I won't really be eating much beforehand. But, in a word,,,Immodium, just to be sure.
Amen on the Immodium sister! Just one seems to do the trick! May have some problems for a few days afterwards, but definitely worth it for race day!

Speaking of immodium...

Frank Shorter, olympic gold medalist, and other members of an "expert" panel was asked this question at one of the Rock 'n Roll expos I attended a few years ago. One of the experts (Frank, I think) told the audience to take something like an over-the-counter prevacid/zantac before a race to help with upset stomach issues. I used to get upset stomachs as well but not so much any more. Although I equate prevacid with being more of an acid reducer, I believe it really helps me to be less nauseated after a race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter