Upgrading ticket to AP during Holidays

tink89

DIS Veteran
We will be in the parks Dec 21-25. We will be upgrading our 3 tickets to AP on our last day.

Can I do this at the hotel? Or do i have to do it at the ticket booths?
I was thinking of doing it early morning on our last park day or at the end of our last park night.

When they apply the ticket cost to the AP do I need to pay the remainder right there on the spot? Do i get monthly payments?

Is there a better way of doing this?

When we upgraded our tickets to AP several years ago in August we had to do it at the ticket booth, we were not able to do it at the GCH. We also paid the full difference at that time.

We will be in the parks Dec 21-25. We will be upgrading our 3 tickets to AP on our last day.

Can I do this at the hotel? Or do i have to do it at the ticket booths?
I was thinking of doing it early morning on our last park day or at the end of our last park night.

When they apply the ticket cost to the AP do I need to pay the remainder right there on the spot? Do i get monthly payments?

Is there a better way of doing this?

Do you live in California? If so, you can get monthly payments if you live within zip codes 90000-96199.
What type of pass are you upgrading to? If you are upgrading to something that doesn't include those days that you are using, it would probably be better to do it towards the latter part of the day so that you don't have to wait in line, get a blockout ticket, that sort of thing.

Officially, upgrades have to be done at the Ticket Booths, although some have said guest services in the parks has done it for them.

Here are the key points of upgrading:
  • The pass level you are upgrading to must be more expensive than the ticket you have purchased.
  • Disney will apply the full amount you paid towards the pass, then you will owe the remaining balance.
  • You can either pay the full balance or pay the monthly payments (the cost of the ticket will count as your down payment). NOTE: You can only do monthly payments if you are a California Resident living in zip codes 90000 - 96199.
  • Blackout dates do not apply to the day you do the upgrade, so I would recommend upgrading on the morning of the 25th. (NOTE: If you are going to upgrade to the Signature+ pass, do it at the beginning of the trip, then you will get the discounts for the entire trip and if you are going to upgrade only one pass to Signature Plus, upgrade that one at the beginning of the trip)

Do you live in California? If so, you can get monthly payments if you live within zip codes 90000-96199.
What type of pass are you upgrading to? If you are upgrading to something that doesn't include those days that you are using, it would probably be better to do it towards the latter part of the day so that you don't have to wait in line, get a blockout ticket, that sort of thing.
You don't need to get a blockout ticket on the day you upgrade, this is handled automatically by the system now, so it would be best to do it first thing in the morning.

Officially, upgrades have to be done at the Ticket Booths, although some have said guest services in the parks has done it for them.

Here are the key points of upgrading:
  • The pass level you are upgrading to must be more expensive than the ticket you have purchased.
  • Disney will apply the full amount you paid towards the pass, then you will owe the remaining balance.
  • You can either pay the full balance or pay the monthly payments (the cost of the ticket will count as your down payment). NOTE: You can only do monthly payments if you are a California Resident living in zip codes 90000 - 96199.
  • Blackout dates do not apply to the day you do the upgrade, so I would recommend upgrading on the morning of the 25th. (NOTE: If you are going to upgrade to the Signature+ pass, do it at the beginning of the trip, then you will get the discounts for the entire trip and if you are going to upgrade only one pass to Signature Plus, upgrade that one at the beginning of the trip)

DH and DD will be getting the deluxe and I am unsure about me. I am thinking of doing the sig +. We are traveling with a group of 12 and the 15% off food would be great. Can that be used at any restaurant?

We do live in CA ( bay area) So I would choose monthly payments. Can i pay it all off when ever i want to or I have to stick with the monthly payments?

Can I use my sig+ for discounts for all the purchases the other people in my party make?

What is the difference in theme park parking and parking at the Disneyland Hotel?

Are there any other perks with getting the sig + or any other pass?

Here are the perks of the Sig+ pass:
  • 20% Merchandise Discount (valid at all Disney owned locations, except "Outdoor Vending" with a few restrictions on movies (sometimes), crystal palace and the like)
  • 15% discount on food (Valid at Ghiradellis's and all Disney owned locations, except "Outdoor Vending", Clarabelle's, Smoozies (sp?), Gibson Girl, Tiki Juice Bar and Cozy Cones)
  • Maxpass is included, which also means you get full resolution digital downloads of all photopass and on ride photos associated with your account and you can add as many photopass cards as you want. You also get the digital release form, so you can have them printed out wherever you want or use them to make t-shirts, etc.
  • Most Downtown Disney locations will provide discounts for all passholders and the discounts will be the same regardless of level.
Since you will be parking at the hotel anyway, I would just leave the car there and not mess around with them park parking.

If you get your discount, you must be the one paying. The way to get around this is to have the other people give you cash or a gift card, then you use that to pay. Also, most CMs will make exception for a spouse (with the same last name) or a child, as long as you are visible, at least if they are paying cash or with a gift card (spouse can use credit card and the CM shouldn't get in trouble for it).

And of course if you are going to make any large purchases, be sure to upgrade to the annual pass before you do so.

You can pay off your pass whenever you want, you can also make additional payments, just know that if you make additional partial payments, it will not reduce your monthly total, just how long you will be paying the pass for.

NOTE: Maxpass with the Photo Downloads costs $75 to add to the Signature level pass.

DH and DD will be getting the deluxe and I am unsure about me. I am thinking of doing the sig +. We are traveling with a group of 12 and the 15% off food would be great. Can that be used at any restaurant?

If you end up doing Sig + you should get it as soon as you arrive to get the full benefits. 15% off applies to both counter service and table service restaurants.

We do live in CA ( bay area) So I would choose monthly payments. Can i pay it all off when ever i want to or I have to stick with the monthly payments?

You can call to pay it off at anytime.

Can I use my sig+ for discounts for all the purchases the other people in my party make?

No, any discounted purchase also has to be paid for by you. You could pay for other people's purchases with cash or a gift card or your credit card and have them pay you back.

What is the difference in theme park parking and parking at the Disneyland Hotel?

Theme park parking is the day parking at either Mickey and Friends or Toy Story. This comes free with the Sig + pass. Disneyland Hotel parking is parking at the hotel and is $20 whether you have a pass or not, there is no free hotel parking.

Are there any other perks with getting the sig + or any other pass?

Sig+ also has MaxPass and photpass with it which is nice.

Answers in red.

Here are the perks of the Sig+ pass:
  • 20% Merchandise Discount (valid at all Disney owned locations, except "Outdoor Vending" with a few restrictions on movies (sometimes), crystal palace and the like)
  • 15% discount on food (Valid at Ghiradellis's and all Disney owned locations, except "Outdoor Vending", Clarabelle's, Smoozies (sp?), Gibson Girl, Tiki Juice Bar and Cozy Cones)
  • Maxpass is included, which also means you get full resolution digital downloads of all photopass and on ride photos associated with your account and you can add as many photopass cards as you want. You also get the digital release form, so you can have them printed out wherever you want or use them to make t-shirts, etc.
  • Most Downtown Disney locations will provide discounts for all passholders and the discounts will be the same regardless of level.
Since you will be parking at the hotel anyway, I would just leave the car there and not mess around with them park parking.

If you get your discount, you must be the one paying. The way to get around this is to have the other people give you cash or a gift card, then you use that to pay. Also, most CMs will make exception for a spouse (with the same last name) or a child, as long as you are visible, at least if they are paying cash or with a gift card (spouse can use credit card and the CM shouldn't get in trouble for it).

And of course if you are going to make any large purchases, be sure to upgrade to the annual pass before you do so.

You can pay off your pass whenever you want, you can also make additional payments, just know that if you make additional partial payments, it will not reduce your monthly total, just how long you will be paying the pass for.

NOTE: Maxpass with the Photo Downloads costs $75 to add to the Signature level pass.

Thanks. Just to make sure MP is included with the sig+ but cost +75 with the regular sig pass? right?

For dinners I will be the one paying or we will pay with GC or Dining vouchers. Any purchases for my immediate fam will be done by me. For the most part the adults (moms) do the purchasing of merchandise and we will more than likely be together. The teens usually carry cash now for spending, but i think i will have them just buy a gift card and let me know when they want to purchase. Should be no issue.

If i use my Disney Visa to pay do i get an extra 10% off or the whatever promo they are having? or is it only one or the other

That is correct, it is included on Signature+ and not on the regular Signature and the Signature+ has no blackout dates at all.

And generally, discounts cannot be combined, but sometimes some of the stores have an in store promotion on buying multiple T-Shirts that can sometimes be combined with your discount, this varies, just read the fine print of any offer and see if it says cannot be combined with other discounts.

You can check in the app which food locations take the discount. It's quite convenient. They're also really good at some places/days asking if you're a passholder.

Clarabelle's in Toon Town (Clarabelle's Handscooped Ice Cream in DCA is different and doesn't take the discount) is one of the ones not everyone knows does take the discount because it's often mistaken for the other/forgotten exists. It's why I recommend to check the app or just ask :). Worst they'll tell you is no.

If i use my Disney Visa to pay do i get an extra 10% off or the whatever promo they are having? or is it only one or the other

If you get the Sig Plus pass that would be your best discount. You cannot combine the visa discounts with your pass discount. And if you do get the pass, be sure to check you receive the discount your entitled with the pass. I would, at times, get less than the 20% discount on merchandise. Also note quite a few places in downtown disney also give you the pass discounts on food and merchandise.

Last edited:

If you’re staying onsite, you park at the hotel and don’t take the car to the themepark parking. It wouldn’t make any sense.

So when staying onsite, having themepark parking included isn’t a benefit you will use.

Why doesn't Clarabel Ice Cream have an AP discount?

The Cozy Cones don't offer a discount either.

They don’t sell full meals so they fall into the ODV category.
Ok that makes sense. The ice cream on Main Street gives a discount though, right?, and so does Ghiradelli. I've heard DLR is better at discounts than WDW though, so I guess it doesn't matter their reasons.

Ok that makes sense. The ice cream on Main Street gives a discount though, right?, and so does Ghiradelli. I've heard DLR is better at discounts than WDW though, so I guess it doesn't matter their reasons.

Gibson Girl on Main Street in DL doesn't give an AP discount either. Ghirardelli gives a discount, but they follow different rules anyway since they are a Ghirardelli owned location and not a Disney one.

Main Street ice cream does not. Ghiradelli might because it’s ghiradelli making the sale.

The actual bakery cases do give the merch discount on what you buy. So if you go to the penny arcade or Pooh corner for a baked good snack you’ll get your discount there.

And yes dlr is better than wdw when it comes to food discounts. At WDW food discounts are only at table service and not every table service. For merch their discount is 20% across the board and works the way it does at DLR, at DLR only the top two passes have the 20% it’s 10% for the others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter