upgrade a gold pass to platinum pass as part of DVC AP promo

martin33

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I saw on another site that DVC honoured a conversion from a DVC gold pass purchased a couple months ago, to the platinum pass at essentially the same cost (as per promo). I bought a gold pass for my wife in March (not activated yet), and tried to upgrade it to platinum on the phone today with DVC member services but they tell me I can only do this in person. This doesn't help me as I will not be there until March 2018, which is well past the Jan 3, 2018 deadline for the promo. Anyone know if I was given the correct information /if I can somehow upgrade over the phone? Or maybe I'm just out of luck for the promo.

Thanks for any help

Martin

Might want to just ask for a refund on the gold pass, and then purchase the new platinum pass.

Hey thanks for the reply- DVC services said they won't refund a pass as part of the conversation we had. That would have been ideal

Just my wife and I.....

NOT TOUCHING THIS. We got a great GP 13 month deal. We are 65 - we don't go to water parks :).

Just my wife and I.....

NOT TOUCHING THIS. We got a great GP 13 month deal. We are 65 - we don't go to water parks :).
I'm thinking the same.

Neither of us go during blackout periods. We don't golf at Disney and do not visit the water parks or the ESPN Sports Complex, either. Trying to think why we would want a Platinum or Platinum Plus pass even if it is free to upgrade.

We have the 13 month promo vouchers that we plan to activate in November. If the upgrade is offered at Guest Relations (I won't ask), I will say that we really need the extra month, so just the gold is fine - especially if it's going to take several minutes to process the upgrade to keep the extra month. :)

I can only comment on what I experienced. I Purchased my Gold Pass in April activated them on July 8th at Guest Relations and was told that I was being upgraded to the Platinum at no cost to me. I am not sure what the policy is for converting it over the phone

Hi there,
This doesn't help me as I will not be there until March 2018, which is well past the Jan 3, 2018 deadline for the promo.

May I ask why you bought it so far in advance? Were you concerned about a price increase?

So quick update- ticketing allowed me to convert our two children's 8 day water park and fun passes for $230 each to platinum plus passes. I could not change mine or my wife's gold passes as these were purchased in person and would only be able to be modified as such "in person".
We use the WP feature, but don't travel peak periods, so nice to have Platinum for this, but not needed for any other reason. I will still have to pay for my wife and I to use water park- but not a huge deal

In reply to D trick- I bought in advance as we were converting an existing voucher worth 5 days, that was not useful to me, so we used its value towards the gold pass I bought when we were there last March (not yet activated).

So quick update- ticketing allowed me to convert our two children's 8 day water park and fun passes for $230 each to platinum plus passes. I could not change mine or my wife's gold passes as these were purchased in person and would only be able to be modified as such "in person".
We use the WP feature, but don't travel peak periods, so nice to have Platinum for this, but not needed for any other reason. I will still have to pay for my wife and I to use water park- but not a huge deal

In reply to D trick- I bought in advance as we were converting an existing voucher worth 5 days, that was not useful to me, so we used its value towards the gold pass I bought when we were there last March (not yet activated).

That almost sounds like the Gold AP's were active. Did ticketing verify they were just vouchers? I can't think of any other reason why buying in person vs calling or going online would make a difference.

Glad you had some success though.

That almost sounds like the Gold AP's were active. Did ticketing verify they were just vouchers? I can't think of any other reason why buying in person vs calling or going online would make a difference.

Glad you had some success though.
Gold pass was not active,and they acknowledged that- they said that despite me having my receipt on hand, and even with my wife's pass exp of 2030, that since I bought it on site, it could only be modified onsite. Apparently there is no "link" on the computer that they can pull up with any onsite walk up purchases. I wasn't even going to bring it up but since you asked. I think in this day and age that's a pretty weak excuse.

Gold pass was not active,and they acknowledged that- they said that despite me having my receipt on hand, and even with my wife's pass exp of 2030, that since I bought it on site, it could only be modified onsite. Apparently there is no "link" on the computer that they can pull up with any onsite walk up purchases. I wasn't even going to bring it up but since you asked. I think in this day and age that's a pretty weak excuse.

Wow, different depth of accounting trails dependent on the place of purchase. That's very surprising and a little crazy to believe!

I am trying to convert two 4 day passes to the platinum plus passes and I called DVC, they said to call ticketing... ticketing said that they can no longer access any DVC discounted passes as of 3 weeks ago. Are you saying that ticketing WAS able to access those passes for you?

I am trying to convert two 4 day passes to the platinum plus passes and I called DVC, they said to call ticketing... ticketing said that they can no longer access any DVC discounted passes as of 3 weeks ago. Are you saying that ticketing WAS able to access those passes for you?
Hi Lisa,

Yes ticketing did access my passes, and converted our 8 day passes (already paid for and assigned)to the platinum passes. These were 8 day park hopper s I bought over the phone, so they said they would accommodate it. Again, they did not accommodate conversion of passes that were bought in park in person

Cheers
Martin

Hi Lisa,

Yes ticketing did access my passes, and converted our 8 day passes (already paid for and assigned)to the platinum passes. These were 8 day park hopper s I bought over the phone, so they said they would accommodate it. Again, they did not accommodate conversion of passes that were bought in park in person

Cheers
Martin

Thanks I will have to call back and try again because she told me as of a month ago, ticketing could no longer access any DVC discounted passes. She amdea big production of asking me what the name of the DVC CM was that told me I could etcetc.

I can tell you that we just converted four GP to four Platinum passes. We had to do it in person at GS, we went to DS to do this. We had to pay $10 more a person because that was the price difference. Well worth it to us though, because we will go to the water parks. I had called earlier and was told we had to do it in person at GS. You have to go to GS anyway to activate your pass.

We converted our 13 month gold passes to platinum passes this weekend at Typhoon Lagoon. Make sure to double check your expiration date before you leave! They had reverted ours back to 12 month passes and I had to ask her to correct the expiration date. So glad I asked or we would have had a huge headache next January!

On another note, if you get the Platinum Plus pass this year, when you renew it (in 2019) can you downgrade back to Gold Pass at the Gold Pass renewal rate?

On another note, if you get the Platinum Plus pass this year, when you renew it (in 2019) can you downgrade back to Gold Pass at the Gold Pass renewal rate?

Yes, you can change the pass type at the time you renew - either up or down.

Okay hubby and I have FL GPs that expire Oct 1st. So we are in the renew window. I want to renew/upgrade to DVC Plat Plus. Do I call DVC? Ticketing? Or just wait and do it at GS in person?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!