Unofficial poll on MF's:

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Which resorts do you think will see the worst (highest) MF increases IN THE FUTURE? My thought is that the number of units per resort may play a significant factor in future costs, but I really am not sure...

Number of units; land area; total points. They all play a role. An identical resort with a higher point cost (and therefore more total points) means that the cost is spread over more people.

Number of units; land area; total points. They all play a role. An identical resort with a higher point cost (and therefore more total points) means that the cost is spread over more people.
"land area" - very insightful snoop, I had not considered that. As a BLT owner I guess I should be happy then? ; ) What about number of timeshare units, doesn't that determine the number of total points more than anything else?

"land area" - very insightful snoop, I had not considered that. As a BLT owner I guess I should be happy then? ; ) What about number of timeshare units, doesn't that determine the number of total points more than anything else?
Yes, land area seems to be one of the reasons that BLT has low dues and AKV has higher dues.

If you've got the same number of units, but one resort has 10-point-per-night rooms and the other has 25-point-per-night rooms, then there could be 2.5-times as many points to spread the cost over. Try comparing HHI to VGF. HHI has 102 total units, while VGF has 100. Yet, HHI has 1.3MM total points while VGF has 2.5MM total points. Hence, the maintenance burden per point at HHI is higher than the burden on VFG owners.

Yes, land area seems to be one of the reasons that BLT has low dues and AKV has higher dues.

If you've got the same number of units, but one resort has 10-point-per-night rooms and the other has 25-point-per-night rooms, then there could be 2.5-times as many points to spread the cost over. Try comparing HHI to VGF. HHI has 102 total units, while VGF has 100. Yet, HHI has 1.3MM total points while VGF has 2.5MM total points. Hence, the maintenance burden per point at HHI is higher than the burden on VFG owners.
Thanks for such important info for the prospective buyer. By the way where do you get those numbers? I was looking for a listing so I could calculate all the resort MF potential costs myself. Based on your point, it seems like the 'pricier' resorts will actually be cheaper in the long run on the MF's. That doesn't bode well for the 'cheaper' point resorts (which are usually cheaper to buy into as well with lower costs per point) over the longer term does it?

Which resorts do you think will see the worst (highest) MF increases IN THE FUTURE?
There really is no structured pattern for how much MF increase -- just this year SSR, HHI and Vero were hit with added MF because of hurrican damage. You would think that AKL with the animals and a significant amount of land would have bigger increases but for the past couple of years it has had some of the lowest percentage increases.

This is what i could find for historical dues for up to 2016.

https://www.**********.com/dvc-annual-dues-history/

Guess that one is blocked, but this shoudl work

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dv...content/2494-historical-annual-dues-by-resort

There really is no structured pattern for how much MF increase -- just this year SSR, HHI and Vero were hit with added MF because of hurrican damage. You would think that AKL with the animals and a significant amount of land would have bigger increases but for the past couple of years it has had some of the lowest percentage increases.

This is what i could find for historical dues for up to 2016.

https://www.**********.com/dvc-annual-dues-history/

Guess that one is blocked, but this shoudl work

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dv...content/2494-historical-annual-dues-by-resort
Yeah, that's kind of the point I was making - "no structured pattern". Super Snoop's points were something I hadn't considered; land size as well as points per night. It's hard to say what has more significance. Looking at the chart SSR has shown a pretty slow increase in MF's, yet it is not only on a large amount of space, but it also (relative to other WDW resorts) a fairly low cost of point per night. What I am trying to do is project forward and estimate which resorts are most likely to have the lower cost increases.

What I am trying to do is project forward and estimate which resorts are most likely to have the lower cost increases.
If you are trying to project you could do an estimate of 5% increase per year. The real worst case is that they could increase up to 15%, but looking back at the history of MF i don't believe that has happened. Usually your best deal for points and MF has been SSR. So if you are looking for your best bang for your buck this is the resort you want. A lot factors into the purchase, some financial but also some emotional wants and needs. No sense paying for a resort that you will not be truly happy at. Read everything you can here there is a wealth of info to get you in the right direction.

Yeah I see the MF on SSR, but that doesn't seem to jibe with the 2 points Supersnoop makes- 1 price per point per night and 2 - land area. I don't know if there is a way to know NOW, I believe if I could look 10-20 years into the future and see more data it would become obvious where we were headed.

Keep in mind though that SSR is the largest of all the DVC properties. So although the point cost per night is low compared to some others, due to its size it most likely still has more points than any of the other properties keeping the burden per point low.

2 points Supersnoop makes- 1 price per point per night and 2 - land area.
Obviously looking at the historical data kind of disproves his theory -- BLT likely has less land compared to SSR and AKV and has had bigger percentage increases - so i don't believe that is a significant factor.

Here is another interesting link for the total number of points per resort. So SSR has the largest pool of points which might be why they can operate at a lower cost per point MF.

https://*******.com/using-your-membership/dvc-points/total-points-at-each-resort/

There are more detailed breakdowns of what the MF go towards.

Here is one for SSR that another member posted. It gives you all the line items that make up the MF.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...iation-notices/2017/2017-Condo-Notice-SSR.pdf

You really need to go into this with knowing what you can afford now and with enough room for increases in the future. MF will increase but the cost of hotel rooms increase as well -- so there is no getting away from any increases unless you choose to stay offsite or just stay home.

The benefit of DVC is that it has had a good resale value in good economic times, so if you reached a point that you could no longer afford the MF then you could sell.

Just search total number of points at disney vacation club resorts and it will give you the link to the DVC info

The number of points at a resort has no bearing on future price increase percentages. The things to watch are the overall expense budget and the underlying categories and how they are rising.

If a resort's expense budget is rising 5% a year, then no matter how many times you slice the pie, each slice will also rise 5% per year.

Aulani increases are perplexing. Over 7% next year and the Resort is still selling direct. It’s also a newer resort so refurbish not due yet and there’s no storm assessment like ssr, vb and hhi had. The subsidized dues are paid by dvd, not rolled into anyone’s mfs so that’s not it either. In addition you pay the Hawaii transit accommodation tax when staying at Aulani at check out. If mf’s are rising at over 7% a year prior to anything actually going wrong or need for major repairs, what will be happening when there’s a special assessment? That’s got to be a REALLY tough direct sell at $176 and worth half as soon as ink dries.

Obviously looking at the historical data kind of disproves his theory -- BLT likely has less land compared to SSR and AKV and has had bigger percentage increases - so i don't believe that is a significant factor.

Here is another interesting link for the total number of points per resort. So SSR has the largest pool of points which might be why they can operate at a lower cost per point MF.

https://*******.com/using-your-membership/dvc-points/total-points-at-each-resort/

There are more detailed breakdowns of what the MF go towards.

Here is one for SSR that another member posted. It gives you all the line items that make up the MF.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...iation-notices/2017/2017-Condo-Notice-SSR.pdf

You really need to go into this with knowing what you can afford now and with enough room for increases in the future. MF will increase but the cost of hotel rooms increase as well -- so there is no getting away from any increases unless you choose to stay offsite or just stay home.

The benefit of DVC is that it has had a good resale value in good economic times, so if you reached a point that you could no longer afford the MF then you could sell.
"Total Operating Expenses $51,507,879" yet only ONE category actually SAYS "maintenance", and it is only $7,197,708 so where'd the other 44 Mill go? ; ) By the way notice the "management fee" of 5,859,084? Anyone really understand all this stuff? There should be (aside from obvious unforeseen things like hurricanes, damage, etc) a fairly simple formula like number of units vs cost per unit etc. By the way, totally separate question but this is my first year and I know MF's are due before January 15th, but what is the soonest you can pay BEFORE Jan 15th? January 1st?

Aulani increases are perplexing. Over 7% next year and the Resort is still selling direct. It’s also a newer resort so refurbish not due yet and there’s no storm assessment like ssr, vb and hhi had. The subsidized dues are paid by dvd, not rolled into anyone’s mfs so that’s not it either. In addition you pay the Hawaii transit accommodation tax when staying at Aulani at check out. If mf’s are rising at over 7% a year prior to anything actually going wrong or need for major repairs, what will be happening when there’s a special assessment? That’s got to be a REALLY tough direct sell at $176 and worth half as soon as ink dries.
Yeah, I noticed that too, I have no idea why it's that high either. Maybe because it's in Hawaii?

By the way, totally separate question but this is my first year and I know MF's are due before January 15th, but what is the soonest you can pay BEFORE Jan 15th? January 1st?

Anytime, really. I have credit balance as we speak for 2018 dues. You just have to login to your account, go to dues, go to make a payment, and then pick "by contract." It will allow you to use credit/debit cards, Disney gift cards, Disney Visa rewards redemption cards, and most likely ACH from your bank account.

By the way, totally separate question but this is my first year and I know MF's are due before January 15th, but what is the soonest you can pay BEFORE Jan 15th? January 1st?
The actual dues statements should be posted to your account around mid December. They won't become official until the annual condo meeting on 12/7.

Ive been the board president for my condo association for a loooong time so I deal with the budgets and MFs for our building. While it may not be in the millions, its definitely in the upper 100's of thousands.
Management fees are all of the payroll of the people at the management company who pay the bills and hire the crew to care for the plants and office who keep the place running day to day. The operational budget is the money they use to pay the bills and the staff and fix anything that is broken. The 44 mil is likely broken up over the capital fund and and emergency funds. So when they are going into refurb they already have a pool of money to work from.
also, EVERYTHING in Hawaii is more expensive, from food to contractors to toiletries.

Does the breakdown from Aulani show were the big increase came from?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!