Universal or IOA first?

LindaY

Earning My Ears
We only have a one day 2 park pass. Our main reason for going is the Grand kids are Harry Potter crazy but not a fan of roller coasters. They are 10,8,5. With their fear of roller coasters I realize there is very little for us to do especially in IOA. They will for sure want to see the Forbidden journey but not ride.
Most of the rides beside Harry Potter that they will want to do are in Universal.
Should we do HP first thing at US then take the train to IOA and do HP. Take the train back to ride US other rides before leaving? Or is it better for timing to do IOA first? We are flying in and should arrive at park by 9:00 or so. I'm so confused! We are fitting this in before Disney.

Hope I can answer a few if your questions

What are your dates?
Could make a difference in how to guide you

Without knowing your dates, do need to say arrive at the park entrance way before opening time

Arriving at 9, could make you be facing ride lines early

Outside of Potter sections, seussland would be great for the kids
Jurassic park discovery center would be fun for them

At the Marvel section, the Storm ride could be fine for them
It is like Disney tea cup ride
The street entertainment also would keep their attention

Mini parades at the studios near Mel's diner and horror make up show is a hit with all kids
Lots of music and dancing and visiting with the performers
ET is a calm ride
Animal Actors in parade is cute and family fun

Probably more geared for the kids at the studios

Street entertainment goes on at different set times at the studios

Hope I can answer a few if your questions

What are your dates?
Could make a difference in how to guide you

Without knowing your dates, do need to say arrive at the park entrance way before opening time

Arriving at 9, could make you be facing ride lines early

Outside of Potter sections, seussland would be great for the kids
Jurassic park discovery center would be fun for them

At the Marvel section, the Storm ride could be fine for them
It is like Disney tea cup ride
The street entertainment also would keep their attention

Mini parades at the studios near Mel's diner and horror make up show is a hit with all kids
Lots of music and dancing and visiting with the performers
ET is a calm ride
Animal Actors in parade is cute and family fun

Probably more geared for the kids at the studios

Street entertainment goes on at different set times at the studios
Our date to be at Universal is Oct 9th. Our flight gets in at 8:00am so we can't be there before 9:00. I did buy the express tickets if that helps. What I'm really struggling with is which park should I go in first to have less of crowd. It was probably crazy to add this on to Disney but the girls have read all the books and are crazy as most children about all things Potter!

I'll be in the parks that day too!

It's Monday Columbus Day and there will be crowds in the parks
But it will thin out later in the day

Holiday for some and quite a few hotel guests do the park for a few hours before they fly back home

If you would be there Tuesday, you would not have crowds that day

Now that is a very good thing you bought the ep!

You will have more of a chance to hit the rides and show

Since potter is important for you, do studios if it is not the early entry Day

After I send this I will check the EE calendar to see which opens early
Thought ee park opens at 7 that day which means public let into the park at 8

If it is the studios that has EE then start with ioa and do Potter
Use HE to go to the studios when done at IOA

Do the potter sections first and when done go to the other park for potter

You can hop back to first park in the evening

When you enter the park be sure to pick up the park map as it will list the show times for the potter entertainment

Hopefully others will share their wisdom of which park would or could have less crowds

I'll be in the parks that day too!

It's Monday Columbus Day and there will be crowds in the parks
But it will thin out later in the day

Holiday for some and quite a few hotel guests do the park for a few hours before they fly back home

If you would be there Tuesday, you would not have crowds that day

Now that is a very good thing you bought the ep!

You will have more of a chance to hit the rides and show

Since potter is important for you, do studios if it is not the early entry Day

After I send this I will check the EE calendar to see which opens early
Thought ee park opens at 7 that day which means public let into the park at 8

If it is the studios that has EE then start with ioa and do Potter
Use HE to go to the studios when done at IOA

Do the potter sections first and when done go to the other park for potter

You can hop back to first park in the evening

When you enter the park be sure to pick up the park map as it will list the show times for the potter entertainment

Hopefully others will share their wisdom of which park would or could have less crowds
Where do you find the EE Calendar? I looked at the monthly Calendar on the AP and it said it said the hours are IOA 9:00 and Universal is at 8:00. Does that mean US is EE? In that case your suggesting I start with IOA instead? We will be heading over to our Disney Resort hopefully around 5:00. I know nuts... especially considering I spent close to 1600.00 for the six of us for 1 day park to park with Express for this few hours! Oh my... what grandparents do.

EE is probably not listed yet for which park in October. US opening at 8 is likely due to Halloween Horror Nights because US will close early for that. So either EE will be for IOA which would be 8:00 am. Or EE will be for US and start at 7:00 am.

Just another comment. Even though the kids are not Coaster Fans, they still might really like Forbidden Journey. While it whips you around throughout the ride it does so smoothly IMO, and the experience is very different from a coaster. I've gone with people and kids who are terrified of coasters but absolutely love Forbidden Journey. How tall is the 5 year old? even if not tall enough, the fact that you have EP AND that rides like Forbidden Journey have Child Swap gives you lots of option say if the 5yo might be too scared but the 10 and 8 yo's want to try it.

With EP, even if the park is crowded the day should be relatively easy to navigate for you especially in terms of getting on whichever attractions you want.

Attractions at IOA that I still think the group would love (even the 5yo) could be Spiderman and Kong as well.

For the HP experience it's best to ride HE from kings cross first, then back again :)

Don't worry about business with EPs. It won't be an issue at all.

EE is probably not listed yet for which park in October. US opening at 8 is likely due to Halloween Horror Nights because US will close early for that. So either EE will be for IOA which would be 8:00 am. Or EE will be for US and start at 7:00 am.

Just another comment. Even though the kids are not Coaster Fans, they still might really like Forbidden Journey. While it whips you around throughout the ride it does so smoothly IMO, and the experience is very different from a coaster. I've gone with people and kids who are terrified of coasters but absolutely love Forbidden Journey. How tall is the 5 year old? even if not tall enough, the fact that you have EP AND that rides like Forbidden Journey have Child Swap gives you lots of option say if the 5yo might be too scared but the 10 and 8 yo's want to try it.

With EP, even if the park is crowded the day should be relatively easy to navigate for you especially in terms of getting on whichever attractions you want.

Attractions at IOA that I still think the group would love (even the 5yo) could be Spiderman and Kong as well.
Thank you. That's very helpful!

For the HP experience it's best to ride HE from kings cross first, then back again :)

Don't worry about business with EPs. It won't be an issue at all.

Some purists will suggest doing the whole "Harry's Journey" experience which is to start at Diagon Alley, go through all the shops like Harry did when he first went there. Then hopping on HE to head over to Hogsmead, do everything there (Shops and all of the attractions), then HE back to Diagon Alley to finish off the "Journey" with Escape from Gringotts.

To me thought it doesn't really make a difference IMO. While the experience is different each direction on HE, it's not like it tells a "story" that needs you to go in a particular direction first.

When I posted earlier, I checked the EE calendar as I will be onsite for two weeks in October

It's been listed for weeks

When the park is listed as 8 opening, then EE for hotel guests will be at 7 am

Since the studios will have been open since 7, it will be crowded if you get there after 9

Could be less waits at ioa if you go there first
Just a guess and what I would do

When I posted earlier, I checked the EE calendar as I will be onsite for two weeks in October

It's been listed for weeks

When the park is listed as 8 opening, then EE for hotel guests will be at 7 am

Since the studios will have been open since 7, it will be crowded if you get there after 9

Could be less waits at ioa if you go there first
Just a guess and what I would do
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter