Uncomfortable going through outside travel agency (update)

jaw62901

Mouseketeer
Thanks to everyone who responded to this post. Please click on the following thread to see what my final reservations look like:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=350741

With this being my first big trip, is is strange that someone would not feel comfortable going through an outside agaency such as Dreams Unlimited, but comfortable making a reservation directly through Disney.

I guess I just don't want anything to go wrong, and Disney is part of Americana and I guess I just trust them more. I sent an e-mail to DU explaining that they did a great job with my reservation, and that they didn't do anything wrong, but that with this being my first trip, I felt more comfortable going directly through Disney.

I just made my reservation through Disney and for the same package, it ended up being $54 cheaper

What do you all think.

I am a travel agent, I book everything thru Disney directly for my clients and my own trips. I have always priced others in the past before booking and found Disney the cheapest, and most reliable and most informative. Since you are booking directly thru Disney, your rooms are booked immediately, not 2 weeks before your time of arrival. When you book thru a travel agency, they ususlly go thru a touring/package. You pay them, they pay the touring company, you may have certain room requests which you have paid in full for 1 1/2 months prior to arrival - the touring company does not book your rooms until 2 weeks to 5 days prior to your arrival. The people that may have the same room requests as you that book directly thru Disney, have that room request locked in from reservation time. There is no middle man (tour operator) so you save money (in most cases) going directly thru Disney. This may be true with Disney, but with other vacation destinations, going thru a TA can save you a lot of money. Since TA's get paid from the resort, not the customer, it always pays to call one!

Dreams also books through Disney, not a tour operater.

I trust them more than Disney to look out for me! When I had a problem with deposits not being applied properly, my Dreams agent got right on it, working with Disney to figure out where my money went. All I had to do was send an email!

When you use Dreams your reservation is with Disney, you get a Disney confirmation number and everything, PLUS your agent can do all your PSs and itinerary and put it all in a great form. I love Dreams!!! And yes I do in live in Florida only an hour away from WDW and I still use them. :) It's that good of a service.

I had my honeymoon reservation handled by Dreams Unlimited. I could say nothing but good things about this agency. I used to make my own reservations before. But from now I will use Dreams Unlimited to make my life easier. :D

I made my 1st trip plans by myself...never again. I love Dreams Unlimited. They always save me money because they call as soon as codes are out to try to get them applied, are able to get Cindy's for me....... I have already saved almost $500 for my June trip.

last time we went toWDW , I booked myself, this time we are using Laura at Our Laughing Place. She is wonderful , and has made the whole thing much easier for me. she has altered my reservation , given me great ideas , e-mails often with any new information and is keeping an eye out fopr discounts. I feel really confident becuase I know she has alot more experience with WDW than I do. We are really happy with her great service!!!

I am a travel agent and I always try to get the best deal for my clients. I always get a confirmation number and then give them copies of all documents/deposits that are sent to disney and the confirmation letters they send you.

I advise them to do PS and do them for them (any travel agent can do these for you) and some people are just stubborn. They think they can show up and get a reservation that night. I always look out for codes, etc.

I give them an itinerary which any agent that has registered through the Disney Travel Agent site can have access to and personalize. So, this is not just unique to Laughing Place or Dreams Unlimited, plus Disney always emails you information and you can check their web site at anytime.

Its whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I think it depends on the person. Some people don't have the time or energy to research all the possibilities for discounts so a travel agent can be very helpful. :) Other people live/sleep/eat/breathe the DIS and are perfectly capable of making their own reservations and getting great deals without help. Personally, if I was going to disney for the first time ever I would book with a travel agent. ;) Laura at Our Laughing Place is the nicest, and most helpful person I've ever met! :)

I have booked 6 trips myself, but I got sick of dealing with CRO myself, so this time I am going with DU. Beth C is great! We are a party of 8 and she has done all of our PS's and saved us a total of $400 at the BCV. Best of all I didn't have to call to ask about the codes, get on the phone at 5:55 CT to get Cindy's, call group sales to get Poly Laua, and on and on and on. I will use DU from now on. I am just too busy at work and taking care of my DSs to work that hard this time. We plan each day tell Beth and she takes care of the PS and puts our ressie page. Those "Great News" e-mails ARE GREAT it means she got us a discount and I didn't have to make any calls to someone who may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Tracie

I'm using DU also. Shirley is our agent. I booked our first trips myself but decided I didn't really want to be stressing over this trip. Thank heaven I made that decision!!! Just got called in to be a long-term sub in dd's elem. school. Sure don't have the time now to be checking every 2 hrs. for codes and calling for Cindy's ps. Thanks DU!!!

It takes a bit of trust to rely on a travel agent, and we've all heard stories of agents who didn't work hard to get their clients the best deal or who weren't particularly knowledgeable. Taht being said, everything I've heard about DU indicates they are very good about what they do. Using a travel agent can make things easier since they make all the calls for you. And, if you have a good one, they can help if there is a prob;em. They often know who to talk to, or have some clout because of the volume of bookings.

However, I don't think you're wrong for booking yourself. Disney does make it simple to plan by yourself. With this being your first trip, I'm sure you want to make sure everything is right, and if any problems occur you can decide right away what to do.

I also like to book my own trip. I like the planning and sense of accomplishment and hate having to depend on someone else who may or may not get me the best deal. PLus, if something goes wrong with one part of my trip I can adjust things right away. For example, if the resort I want doesn't have rooms available for when I want to go a travel agent won't necessarily know if they should book you in another resort or change the days of the trip. I can make that decision right away.

Enjoy your trip.

Originally posted by Pigsty333
I give them an itinerary which any agent that has registered through the Disney Travel Agent site can have access to and personalize.

I have gotten these from ourlaughingplace.com and they are so cool, it really gives you an idea of how you can schedule your days.

I to was a little afraid to book with an outside agent. I looked into Disney online booking, tried one in my home town and then found this message board and got a lot of info I would never have found in any book. Booking on my own just seem like a lot of work and time that I don't have but will keep in mind for my next trip. I found ourlaughingplace.com and gave them a try and they were the cheapest that I found with all the same days and room and resort. Jodie from OLP has been a great help and has called me back in minutes and sent emails on updates, she put my fears aside:jester:

Don
BTW How do you start a count down counter for your trip to WDW? Never mind I found out how.

I read your update link & am glad you decided to go with Dreams! I think they are the greatest! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter