UPDATED: Ultimate park hop - 6 parks in one day - WE DID IT!

This sounds so cool! I hope it works out. And good move getting TSA precheck- I have it as well and it makes getting through airport security smoother.

Thank you! And glad to hear that Precheck helps! I think we need to optimize everything to pull this off!!

Thank you!!! I am so excited about the attempt!!

Have you considered contacting media about this? The coast-to-coast thing has been done before, but riding at least one attraction in each of the six US parks MAY be unprecedented.

You can find folks who cover disney in the Orlando Sentinel and LATimes and send them a blurb about it...you can generally find their email online but if not, contact them through Twitter. And of course there are the bloggers who would be interested - Kenny the Pirate, Jim Hill, Lou Mongello, etc. etc. Doesn't hurt getting some attention and letting other folks know you're doing this awesome thing!

I would suggest NOT trying to keep this thread/a message board updated in real time...but definitely use a social platform for doing it. Advertise your Twitter handle ahead of time so people can follow and cheer you on.

Have you considered contacting media about this? The coast-to-coast thing has been done before, but riding at least one attraction in each of the six US parks MAY be unprecedented.

You can find folks who cover disney in the Orlando Sentinel and LATimes and send them a blurb about it...you can generally find their email online but if not, contact them through Twitter. And of course there are the bloggers who would be interested - Kenny the Pirate, Jim Hill, Lou Mongello, etc. etc. Doesn't hurt getting some attention and letting other folks know you're doing this awesome thing!

I would suggest NOT trying to keep this thread/a message board updated in real time...but definitely use a social platform for doing it. Advertise your Twitter handle ahead of time so people can follow and cheer you on.

My husband tweets but I generally don't use Twitter. I was thinking of setting up a public-facing Facebook page to use, or maybe I will just suck it up and create a Twitter account :)

I'm irrationally scared to loop in the media... just not a person who likes a lot of attention in general. But I do think my kids would get a huge kick out of that.

What day will you be doing this? Maybe I'll try to meet you at the last park in CA with a banner! (I live only 45 minutes away and am an AP)

August 29th :)

That would be hilarious (if we make it!) I'm getting really nervous that we won't... August storms in Florida, cross-country flights on a budget airline, LA traffic at 5:00 pm...

But either way, we get to spend 12 days at Disney World and Disneyland!!

My husband tweets but I generally don't use Twitter. I was thinking of setting up a public-facing Facebook page to use, or maybe I will just suck it up and create a Twitter account :)

I'm irrationally scared to loop in the media... just not a person who likes a lot of attention in general. But I do think my kids would get a huge kick out of that.

Understood!

I'd be worried that media might slow you down... photo ops, crowds wanting to see what's going on, etc. Maybe if Lesley Wake and other local DIS AP holders could meet you at the last ride with banners/balloons, that'd be cool! Will you know in advance what ride you'll be attempting at DL?

Also.. if you and DH have pre-check will they let your kids go through with you? I don't know what the rules are.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'd be worried that media might slow you down... photo ops, crowds wanting to see what's going on, etc.

As a communications director who every moment is thinking about trying to get media coverage, I literally cannot understand the above sentence. Is that like saying I'd hate to be handed $20K, because who wants to walk around with $20K in his pocket? :-)

I'd be worried that media might slow you down... photo ops, crowds wanting to see what's going on, etc. Maybe if Lesley Wake and other local DIS AP holders could meet you at the last ride with banners/balloons, that'd be cool! Will you know in advance what ride you'll be attempting at DL?

Also.. if you and DH have pre-check will they let your kids go through with you? I don't know what the rules are.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I didn't even think of that... good point! We need to be hustling. No time for paparazzi!

We're still waiting for CA park hours to drive our west coast agenda. Our flight is scheduled to land at LAX at 4:37 pm. I'm anticipating an 8:00 pm close at DCA and 9:00 pm at DL, based on our similar coast-to-coast trip late August last year. I'm guessing we will be pressed for time at DCA so we will need to do something with a short wait so we have time to walk across to DL and get in some attraction line before it closes. We will keep our eyes on the wait times in the app to drive where we go. Ideally, in keeping with our goal of doing a unique attraction in each park, maybe Heimlich in Bugs Land? Short ride, not much of a wait? And maybe Alice or Toad at DL because they are family favorites that meet the unique to the park requirement. Do those close during fireworks? Ugh. I don't even know what the current fireworks situation is at DL now! It's so hard. We've been to DL 3 times, but we're not experts there like we are at WDW. I have no idea what waits will look like between 7-8 pm on a Tuesday in CA! More research needed... :)

And yup, kids get to come through precheck with us. Ages 12 and under get to go with their adults! :)

.. if you and DH have pre-check will they let your kids go through with you? I don't know what the rules are.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
OP of course needs to confirm (rules probably change sometimes), but I believe kids age 12 and under go through pre-check line with parents if the parents have pre-check.

As a communications director who every moment is thinking about trying to get media coverage, I literally cannot understand the above sentence. Is that like saying I'd hate to be handed $20K, because who wants to walk around with $20K in his pocket? :-)

I feel you... I'm a marketer. I love marketing, but not marketing myself LOL

August 29th :)

That would be hilarious (if we make it!) I'm getting really nervous that we won't... August storms in Florida, cross-country flights on a budget airline, LA traffic at 5:00 pm...

But either way, we get to spend 12 days at Disney World and Disneyland!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Ok! We will have to try and coordinate closer to the date once there is a clearer picture of the weather and any flight changes!

While I wait for DL and DCA hours to be published, my next train of thought is about t-shirts for this adventure.

We are NOT a matching t-shirt family. (We actually play a game when we're at WDW, counting the number of matching t-shirt families who are seemingly unaware that they have the wrong castle on their shirts.) But I'm considering doing them for this attempt. I'm moderately creative and have access to a vinyl cutter so we can definitely make our own.

We usually all wear Disney shirts, loosely themed to our park plans that day, but never matching. And we prefer our shirts to be subtle, clever, vintage, etc. Not your standard Etsy shirts that EVERYONE wears. Last year, we all wore various Disneyland shirts. The kids didn't know we were leaving WDW to head for CA so it was our silly way of leaving clues right under their noses. All morning, CMs at WDW kept telling us we were wearing the wrong shirts. We just laughed... the kids were oblivious.

I'm not sure I can convince the family to do the matchy matchy thing or if I even want to do it. But if I can, I'm thinking of having the outline of the United States on the back, with the park icons identifying each stop and a dotted line showing our path (kinda like the I did it! shirts runDisney has with the race course maps on the back.) But I'm at a loss for what to put on the front. Any ideas?

While I wait for DL and DCA hours to be published, my next train of thought is about t-shirts for this adventure.

We are NOT a matching t-shirt family. (We actually play a game when we're at WDW, counting the number of matching t-shirt families who are seemingly unaware that they have the wrong castle on their shirts.) But I'm considering doing them for this attempt. I'm moderately creative and have access to a vinyl cutter so we can definitely make our own.

We usually all wear Disney shirts, loosely themed to our park plans that day, but never matching. And we prefer our shirts to be subtle, clever, vintage, etc. Not your standard Etsy shirts that EVERYONE wears. Last year, we all wore various Disneyland shirts. The kids didn't know we were leaving WDW to head for CA so it was our silly way of leaving clues right under their noses. All morning, CMs at WDW kept telling us we were wearing the wrong shirts. We just laughed... the kids were oblivious.

I'm not sure I can convince the family to do the matchy matchy thing or if I even want to do it. But if I can, I'm thinking of having the outline of the United States on the back, with the park icons identifying each stop and a dotted line showing our path (kinda like the I did it! shirts runDisney has with the race course maps on the back.) But I'm at a loss for what to put on the front. Any ideas?
You could do the icon for each person's favorite park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!