Two rooms sharing DxDP

ejgonz2

DIS Veteran
Hi, it seems that my family of 6 would save a few hundred if we had two rooms (say ASMov) and we got the DxDP for one room with PSD in Feb/Mar and took a RO discount for the other room.

I’ve mapped out how we’d share the meal credits and who we’d have to pay QS for (3 yo and 6 yo twins). Aside from less snack credits and less mugs. Any other downsides to doing this?

That's what we're doing in august as a family of 4. 2 rooms with 1A/1C having DxDP in one room and the other adult and teen in the other room, no dining plan. I worked the numbers a gazillion different ways and this is the way that comes out best. As of now, and hopefully still come August, Disney doesn't differentiate between kid/adult credits for DxDP. We toyed with getting either DDP or QSDP for the second room but it just doesn't make sense for the way we dine.

that said, we did have to have 2 separate reservations, so there's a chance we wont' get connecting rooms (they only guarantee it when they're under the same reservation). We're ok with that b/c our oldest is 17, but if your kids are young that might be a problem.

We did this in December. My sister and I had a room with free dining that we upgraded to DxDDP. My son, his GF, his son, and her sister had a room with free dining which was QSDP. We use our deluxe plan for all the TS meals for dinner and a couple breakfasts and we used QS for lunches. It worked out great and allowed everyone to get apps. We loved it and found it to be perfect for us. Just remember that with the table of 6 you are automatically charged gratuities and the gratuities is for the entire bill so if everyone orders an app, entree, and dessert plus a possible speciality drink then your tips will be costly. For our entire stay which was 7 nights our tips for the entire trip was around $75 a meal. Make sure you plan ahead for the since it can be a shocker when your tip gift card is gone quickly lol.

That's what we're doing in august as a family of 4. 2 rooms with 1A/1C having DxDP in one room and the other adult and teen in the other room, no dining plan. I worked the numbers a gazillion different ways and this is the way that comes out best. As of now, and hopefully still come August, Disney doesn't differentiate between kid/adult credits for DxDP. We toyed with getting either DDP or QSDP for the second room but it just doesn't make sense for the way we dine.

that said, we did have to have 2 separate reservations, so there's a chance we wont' get connecting rooms (they only guarantee it when they're under the same reservation). We're ok with that b/c our oldest is 17, but if your kids are young that might be a problem.

Thanks, that's a good point about separate reservations. We do have little ones and need connecting rooms. In that case it may be worth it for all of us to getting the regular DDP to ensure connecting rooms.

Thanks, that's a good point about separate reservations. We do have little ones and need connecting rooms. In that case it may be worth it for all of us to getting the regular DDP to ensure connecting rooms.

Connecting rooms is a request and not a reservation thing since the reservations number will have two numbers. You can link them and usually they will honor them. We asked for connecting rooms in December and we had next door but not connecting.

Connecting rooms is a request and not a reservation thing since the reservations number will have two numbers. You can link them and usually they will honor them. We asked for connecting rooms in December and we had next door but not connecting.

someone with more knowledge can correct me, but I think if you make the reservation on the phone they actually can guarantee connecting rooms (but they have to have the same dining plan). you can't do it online though, you need to call.

someone with more knowledge can correct me, but I think if you make the reservation on the phone they actually can guarantee connecting rooms (but they have to have the same dining plan). you can't do it online though, you need to call.

That is great if that is true and will be very helpful next time my son can join me.

They cannot guarantee connecting rooms. Disney tries, however they will never promise.

The Dining plans are per room, not per traveling party, so each room has it's own package. Everyone in the room, not everyone in the traveling party, must be on the same package. We often request connecting rooms no have different packages.

This will not ensure you get connecting rooms. Make connecting rooms your only request and that will boost your probability, but all of you on the same plan will not.

They cannot guarantee connecting rooms. Disney tries, however they will never promise.

The Dining plans are per room, not per traveling party, so each room has it's own package. Everyone in the room, not everyone in the traveling party, must be on the same package. We often request connecting rooms no have different packages.

Help clarify please, for dining plan purposes only.

Let's say I make one reservation for my family of 6 (made up family) and put DH and 2 kids in one room and me and 2 kids in another room. We are one family, but need two rooms due to our size, so it's ONE reservation. Can we do different dining plans in each room or do both rooms have to be on the same plan?

PP is saying I would need to make TWO separate reservations to get dining plan differences.

Help clarify please, for dining plan purposes only.

Let's say I make one reservation for my family of 6 (made up family) and put DH and 2 kids in one room and

me and 2 kids in another room. We are one family, but need two rooms due to our size, so it's ONE reservation. Can we do different dining plans in each room or do both rooms have to be on the same plan?

PP is saying I would need to make TWO separate reservations to get dining plan differences.

I believe that is true. I make reservations that require two rooms and each room is a separate reservation.

I believe that is true. I make reservations that require two rooms and each room is a separate reservation.

Sorry, just musing here. I'm wondering if this has changed in recent years. It seems like there used to be a firm distinction on this. Larger families needing more than one room would all be under one reservation and required to have the same package, if one was purchased. Now it looks like if you book two rooms, they are separate and can have different packages or one could have a package and the other none at all. I know when I booked two rooms last year, they each had their own reservation number, but we weren't doing a package. They were room only reservations, but they were separate reservations that were then linked on MDE. Perhaps it was the arrival of MDE that created this change in their system and makes the reservations separate, thereby allowing the different packages.

I would call them (not do it online) because I was specifically told that 2 rooms could be under the same reservation (with guaranteed connecting rooms) as long as they were the same package. I was told that by 2 different people at the reservation department. For me it didn't work because it doesn't make financial sense to have matching dining plans and I'm ok with the rooms not being connecting (though it does say "guaranteed" in my MDE account but I'm not sure that means anything).

Oh, and family size seems to be irrelevant. We have 2 adults and 2 kids, we could all fit in one room at any resort but we just don't like each other that much.....kidding, we just like our space.

Sorry, just musing here. I'm wondering if this has changed in recent years. It seems like there used to be a firm distinction on this. Larger families needing more than one room would all be under one reservation and required to have the same package, if one was purchased. Now it looks like if you book two rooms, they are separate and can have different packages or one could have a package and the other none at all. I know when I booked two rooms last year, they each had their own reservation number, but we weren't doing a package. They were room only reservations, but they were separate reservations that were then linked on MDE. Perhaps it was the arrival of MDE that created this change in their system and makes the reservations separate, thereby allowing the different packages.

I needed to book two rooms and wanted to keep my name as lead guest on each, we are all family. I was told I could not do so, and needed to add my DD name on the other room. I am not sure why this was so, however I just did as they said I needed to do.

Though we are technically NOT one family, we are a large group traveling together. My group is 6 people (2 real adults and 3 Disney adults). We are staying 3 nights (one group 3 nights at BC, the other group is 2 nights YC and one night at Pop). After some fancy footwork by the CM, we were able to keep our great discount by having my name as lead on one reservation and my husband as lead on the other (both reservations were originally in my name). We planned 2 nts DxDP for 4 people in one room, 3 nts DDP for 2 people and the spliut stay single night no dining plan. With this, we are able to plan plenty of food for all 6 of us for $207 each for 3 nights/4 days.

So, I am just confirming, you can still do this in 2019, right? We are going with some friends and we are thinking of getting the deluxe plan and letting them use some of the credits with them at the more expensive table service locations.

Last edited:
So, I am just confirming, you can still do this in 2019, right? We are going with some friends and we are thinking of getting the deluxe plan and letting them use some of the credits with them at the more expensive table service locations.

Unless they change something between now and then, yes you would still be able to use your credits to pay for your friends' meals. Don't really see that going away, but using kid's credits to get adult meals has the potential for ending if Disney chooses to track those credits.

Unless they change something between now and then, yes you would still be able to use your credits to pay for your friends' meals. Don't really see that going away, but using kid's credits to get adult meals has the potential for ending if Disney chooses to track those credits.
Most likely in 2019

Can a child's magicband be used to pay for TS meals? My brother and his family has the DxDP plan and I have the QS plan. I'm planning on taking my niece (age 6) with me for a TS meal while her parents have a date night. Can we use her band to pay for my TS meal along with hers?

Can a child's magicband be used to pay for TS meals? My brother and his family has the DxDP plan and I have the QS plan. I'm planning on taking my niece (age 6) with me for a TS meal while her parents have a date night. Can we use her band to pay for my TS meal along with hers?

I think that is only if they have charging privillages because they ask for your pin number

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!