Tweens/teens out of New York

Carrie in AZ

DIS Veteran
How did your tweens/teens enjoy your cruise out of New York? We are looking at a sailing in October but are concerned there won't be many tweens or teens. Our girls, ages 13 and 17, are all about meeting friends and enjoying the Clubs.

We are all excited about spending some time in NYC prior to cruising and the stops at CC and DW but also want to enjoy the sea days.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

What date are you sailing? We are leaving on the 14th and I have a 16 year old and 11 year old. There are always going to be plenty of kids on DCL. Even the transatlantic cruises have a good number.

My kids had a great time. My 15 year old was in the club all the time participating in different group activities. (Gender Wars, Zombie Movie) and I saw teens trick or treating as well. Mostly I think they enjoy the freedom of the ship. Going to Cabanas for lunch on their own, running up to Deck 9 for ice cream, going to the movies or the club. On sea days they feel more in control of their vacation.

Not sure what you mean by weather on deck? You're interested in temps (I'm on this cruise as well so be happy to inform)?

Yes, Thanks, I've tried to find previous Navigators (which always show the temps) and see that in October for the sea days the air temps are low 70s. We are interested for mid to late November, so we're wondering what the conditions on deck will be like for the at sea days. Wondering if we'll be able to use pools or if conditions on deck will be too breezy /chilly. Also wonder if we should bother getting verandah room if it's too chilly/windy to enjoy. I have no idea what cruising out of NYC in mid to late November would be like.

Yes, Thanks, I've tried to find previous Navigators (which always show the temps) and see that in October for the sea days the air temps are low 70s. We are interested for mid to late November, so we're wondering what the conditions on deck will be like for the at sea days. Wondering if we'll be able to use pools or if conditions on deck will be too breezy /chilly. Also wonder if we should bother getting verandah room if it's too chilly/windy to enjoy. I have no idea what cruising out of NYC in mid to late November would be like.

I'll have to report back once experienced, but my guess is it'll be something like; Su - 68, M - 76, Tu - 84, W - 85, Th - 78, F - 66, Sa - 62. So if I'm right I get the weatherman award :)

Unless that is the fall break for NJ public schools, I would not count on there being a ton of kids. We have sailed on the Magic out of NYC twice. Once in September and last year in early October. VERY LOW kid count according to the cast members. That makes the adult areas much more crowded and adult dining harder to get unless you book early. There will still be enough kids to hang out with, I'm sure. It's more of a problem for adults, IMO. (When we sailed the first week of September a few years ago, I think they said there were only about 300 kids on board.)

Unless that is the fall break for NJ public schools, I would not count on there being a ton of kids. We have sailed on the Magic out of NYC twice. Once in September and last year in early October. VERY LOW kid count according to the cast members. That makes the adult areas much more crowded and adult dining harder to get unless you book early. There will still be enough kids to hang out with, I'm sure. It's more of a problem for adults, IMO. (When we sailed the first week of September a few years ago, I think they said there were only about 300 kids on board.)

I don't think NJ public schools are out until sometime in November, I've heard it referred to many times as Jersey Week.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I greatly appreciate it!

"Jersey Week" is November 6th - November 10th according to our school calendar this year. Hope that helps.

"Jersey Week" is November 6th - November 10th according to our school calendar this year. Hope that helps.
That is correct. That is why we are on the week after. We live in Jersey... we don't need to travel with Jersey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!