Turnstile Anxiety

Fashionista_Gal

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I looked to see if there were already threads on this topic, but they are quite old and would like to get the most up-to-date information. I'm going to Disneyland this week with my family and some friends. It's been many years since I have been there. I am a very large girl, 5'3 and 360lbs and carry a lot of weight in my rear and mid-section. I understand a lot of the rides themselves may be okay for me, but have horrible anxiety about turnstiles. I have a 5-month old and even though my MIL is coming with us, I'd like to avoid embarrassment by sitting out on the rides where turnstiles may be an issue for me. Since I will be with other people, I'd rather just avoid these rides rather than draw attention asking for special accommodations in front of them.

This is my almost 3 year-old's first time and I want to have a great time, but I'm so nervous about turnstiles or getting on a ride I can't fit on. My MIL also bought us passes so I realize I may have to ask for accommodations in the future, but again, I'd like to avoid it when with other people other than my husband and kids. I imagine we will spend most of our time in Fantasyland on many of the older attractions.

Can anyone please share with me a recent list of which rides may be an issue for me both in regards to the turnstiles and just fitting in general?

Most of the Fantasyland rides have tight turnstiles. I recall Peter pan and Mr Toad, plus Alice and Storybookland canal boats all do. I am pooh-sized and I make sure to go through sideways, leading with my hip. Seems to help.

Most of the Fantasyland rides have tight turnstiles. I recall Peter pan and Mr Toad, plus Alice and Storybookland canal boats all do. I am pooh-sized and I make sure to go through sideways, leading with my hip. Seems to help.

This is what I am afraid of. Seems like I won't be able to get through on most of the rides my daughter will want to ride. Are you taller? Do you mind if I ask your size and height for reference? I haven't tried going through sideways, but I'm so short and have wide hips so I'm not sure sideways will work for me. I'm just terrified of being embarrassed if I can't make it through.

Last edited:
I realize this isn't ideal but many times my husband had had to take a child potty or join up with me when I've waited in line for them as my son has autism and doesn't always do well in a line. In those cases he's gone to the exit and told the person who he was with and pointed me out and they've let him join me when I got to the front. You could avoid some turnstiles that way, for example Casey Jr train or the boat ride and Dumbo. Not sure it would work for pan or mr toad style entrances. They have also removed some turnstileslike at the end of haunted mansion. And I think it's fair to others because your other party will be waiting in line for you. Maybe you just take your 3 year old with you and blame it on them not being able to wait nicely in line, or that you had to take them to the restroom etc, this way you don't have to explain it to your friends?

This is what I am afraid of. Seems like I won't be able to get through on most of the rides my daughter will want to ride. Are you taller? Do you mind if I ask your size and height for reference? I haven't tried going through sideways, but I'm just terrified of being embarrassed if I can't make it through.

Ask for assistance if you can't fit. Do it so your daughter can enjoy the time with her mom! Yes, people are going to judge you, but who the heck do they think they are? Screw them, IMO, and enjoy your trip! :)

I realize this isn't ideal but many times my husband had had to take a child potty or join up with me when I've waited in line for them as my son has autism and doesn't always do well in a line. In those cases he's gone to the exit and told the person who he was with and pointed me out and they've let him join me when I got to the front. You could avoid some turnstiles that way, for example Casey Jr train or the boat ride and Dumbo. Not sure it would work for pan or mr toad style entrances. They have also removed some turnstileslike at the end of haunted mansion. And I think it's fair to others because your other party will be waiting in line for you. Maybe you just take your 3 year old with you and blame it on them not being able to wait nicely in line, or that you had to take them to the restroom etc, this way you don't have to explain it to your friends?

Yeah, I'll have my 3 year-old and a 5-month old so I may be able to use them to my advantage sometimes. That's really helpful to know about Haunted Mansion, I was worried about that one as it used to be one of my favorites.

I just watched a YouTube video and it sounds like the ones I might have an issue with are: Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toads, Storybook Canal, and maybe Alice? Can anyone confirm which rides may have tight turnstiles? I think my big worry are the rides where everyone can go, including my baby. I just dread drawing any attention to myself over this. Ugh.

This is what I am afraid of. Seems like I won't be able to get through on most of the rides my daughter will want to ride. Are you taller? Do you mind if I ask your size and height for reference? I haven't tried going through sideways, but I'm so short and have wide hips so I'm not sure sideways will work for me. I'm just terrified of being embarrassed if I can't make it through.
I am 5'5" and around 260lbs. i wear my weight around my middle. I have been heavier and never got stuck.

I imagine we will spend most of our time in Fantasyland on many of the older attractions.

Most of the rides in Fantasyland are a bit scary for littles. You might find yourself over in bug's land at DCA instead... (just not "it's tough to be a bug")

Most of the rides in Fantasyland are a bit scary for littles. You might find yourself over in bug's land at DCA instead... (just not "it's tough to be a bug")

Yeah, I don't think she would like Snow White or Mr. Toad so we will probably skip those for now. She loves Alice though and will probably want to ride that one as well as Peter Pan and Storybook Canal so I will just have to try another entrance on those or skip out.

If you alert a Cast Member about your concern at the front of the ride, they may be able to direct you through the wheelchair entrances. I'm 99% sure those don't have turnstiles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!