Turning Gold on the Wonder to Alaska

verygfy

DIS Veteran
I am trying my hand at a PTR. With so much planning for Alaska I thought it would be good to share my experiences along with getting feedback from everyone.

We are sailing on May 29. This will be our 5th Disney cruise!! We will finally be turning Gold after this one!

The cast of characters are:

Myself - Life long Disney fantatic

DH - Supports my Disney obsession and does enjoy our Disney vacations. He is just not that into the characters, but does like Disney's service, and products.

DD - My beautiful 10 year old Princess who enjoys any and everything Disney.

My BF and her DH - This is their first Disney cruise.

So far we have gotten pretty far in the pre-planning stages. We have at least gotten over the hurdle of the Alaskan Excursion sticker shock (these are definitely not Caribbean prices!!) Here is a our tentative plan and debates.

Friday, May 26 - Fly from Atlanta to Las Vegas. Spend the night in Vegas.

Saturday, May 27 - Fly from Las Vegas to Seattle. We rented a car and will be driving to Vancouver. The plans are to just take our time and relax that night as it will be a very long travel day. Still searching for good places for take out. We are staying at the Residence Inn in Downtown Vancouver so the other option is to have them grocery shop for us and order some frozen pizzas and snack foods (it's vacation, we have all agreed nobody is going to be up for cooking!)

Sunday, May 28 - We are still debating this day. We are all figuring that after a long night in Vegas and a heavy travel day on Saturday we will all want to get a late start to this day. We are thinking about just going to Stanley Park, Granville Island and the Sea Wall, but we are trying to see if we have enough time to also go to Grouse Mountain.

Monday, May 29 - Drop off Rental Car and board the Wonder!!!

Tuesday, May 30 - Day at Sea. Originally we were going to schedule Palo Brunch for this day, but after going over the navigators we decided today we would enjoy all of the ship activities and save Palo for our last sea day. It seems like Disney packs a lot on this day and things are a bit slower on the last sea day. I am hoping to book DD for BBB (hopefully) for formal night.

Wednesday, May 31 - Tracy Arm, I am going to try and do laundry at some point on this day. I know all of the reviews I have read says 2,000 other people on the ship have the same idea, but yet this still seems like the best day. We are still researching binoculars for today, and I am still trying to see what the best lens for my Canon will be (any suggestions would be greatly appreciate)!! My goal is to get a picture with the characters in there Alaska gear. We are all hoping we can get a spot on deck and just watch the beautiful scenery go by (and snap a ton of pictures). My BF and I are getting rainforest passes. The heated loungers may be calling our name after we leave the glacier (but again I think I am with the masses on this one and with only 5 loungers we may not be able to make this work).

Thursday, June 1 - Skagway. We booked the Yukon Bus and Train with Dogcart ride with Chilkoot. This excursion goes against all of my cruising rules (7.5 hour excursion!!!), but the reviews have all been good. A friend of ours did the last summer and said he loved it. I really want a picture with the Yukon sign and I really would like to see Emerald Lake. I am thinking we are going to need snacks for this day, even though lunch is included. I wanted to stop in to Skagway Brewing, but I think we are going to have to play that by ear since it will be such a long day with the excursion. BF and her husband have booked the Helicopter and Dog Sledding excursion.

Friday, June 2 - Juneau. We are booked on a private charter with RumRunners Charter for Whale Watching. After our Whale Watching we will head over to Mendhall Glacier (still need to coordinate this portion of the day). I would like to get a crab leg at Tracy's Crab Shack, but this will also have to be a TBD based on how much time we are at Mendhall Glacier.

Saturday, June 3 - Ketchikan. Currently we are waiting to book our excursion on Disney. Our plan is to do the Bering Sea Fisherman Tour. They are sold out on our date, so we are hoping to get all 5 of us booked at our 90 day window. I am so bummed this is already sold out directly with the company, but what can you do. After our tour I would like to walk around the port and do some shopping (Moose PJ's and an ornament are on the list!)

Sunday, June 4 - Day at Sea. I would really like to book Palo Brunch. Maybe that will be a good pick me up to the fact that we have to pack today and get ready to get off the ship! Such a sad day.

Monday, June 5 - Vancouver. I am still debating on booking with DCL for transportation back to the port or getting a cab to the airport. We have a 1:00pm flight back to Atlanta with a layover in Seattle. While I know Disney will be more expensive there is something to be said about not having to worry about anything after a long week.

The other things I am working on! Magnets, FE gifts, oh and packing!! I have been reading tons of reports and packing lists on how to travel light for Alaska. I am not a light packer to begin with, and with all of the weather changes on this trip I don't see it getting any better!! I need all the help I can get to keep my packing down to 1 suitcase per person!!

Wow! We leave on June 12th! I was planning on the same excursions! How did you pick rumrunners?

We have been booking our excursions for our July 3 trip. I'm so excited to see Alaska!

I hope you'll report back after.

I'm loving your PTR! My husband and I are looking to book Alaska 2018 for our 20th wedding anniversary. We're up in the air whether we want end of May (our anniversary is May 23rd) or the beginning of September. Can't wait to hear more about your planning process!

Following along! We are on the same sailing (me, DH, DS9 and DS6). Will see you there!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!