"turn off ALL devices..." ???

This has been essentially debunked by experts inside and outside the industry. The Mythbusters episode mentioned earlier found no interference with commercially available equiptment and merely speculated that perhaps older equip with no shielding would be affected. Of course they would also be affected then by cell towers and any number of other things. I have several mechanic friends with major airlines that tell me they know this is myth and devices are used in the cockpit by the crew that put off the same waves and have no effect so a passenger 100 feet away certainly should not cause a problem.

D

Sorry but you are incorrect. Airplane mode means the wifi is shut off as well. So, you what is gogo for then if you can't turn on wifi? Like I said earlier...airplane mode is useless!
Sorry, you are incorrect. On at least some phones (mine being one of them), you can turn on WiFi regardless of Airplane mode being on. WiFi *IS* allowed above 10K feet.

Maybe I'm getting crotchety in my not so old age, but it's not a hard to follow the flight crew's instructions. They do have the rules in place for a reason, whatever reason that may be, it doesn't matter.

They do have the right to return to the gate and remove passengers who refuse to comply.

It just happened this week here in Indy.
http://www.wibc.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1853765

"A man from Colorado was arrested Wednesday at Indianapolis International Airport for refusing to turn off his cell phone on board a Southwest Airlines flight taking off for Denver."

My unsolicited advice...just turn of the devices when asked, and enjoy the flight. It's only a few hours (coast to coast), and I'm sure it won't kill anyone to actually pick up a magazine/physical book and read....personally, I prefer to carry paper with me to read, and enjoy the view from the windows.

Maybe I'm getting crotchety in my not so old age, but it's not a hard to follow the flight crew's instructions. They do have the rules in place for a reason, whatever reason that may be, it doesn't matter.
Are we not allowed to discuss whether the reason is valid? I don't think anyone here has said "it's ok, just leave your device on, ignore the instructions". Of course you should follow ALL instructions.

Are we not allowed to discuss whether the reason is valid? I don't think anyone here has said "it's ok, just leave your device on, ignore the instructions". Of course you should follow ALL instructions.

Discuss on the internet? Of course. Discuss with friends, relatives and co-workers? Yes. Discuss (debate) the issue with the FA? No. Maybe an informal discussion after the flight is in the air and the FA has time and is willing to make "small talk" with you.

Really two different schools of thought.

There is no evidence of interference. Allow them.

There is no evidence, supported by testing, that a particular device (iPhone 5 for example) won't cause interference with each and every electronic device on the plane. Ban them until such evidence is available.

Current regulations use the cautious approach. Ban until evidence says its safe.

Anecdotal information. Hospitals seem to be looking the other way when patients, visitors and employees use cell phones. The real interference issues were with the older analog devices. That said monitors beeped when my daughter used her cell phone.

Discuss on the internet? Of course. Discuss with friends, relatives and co-workers? Yes. Discuss (debate) the issue with the FA? No. Maybe an informal discussion after the flight is in the air and the FA has time and is willing to make "small talk" with you.
There's been a couple posts on this thread that seemed to say "just follow the rules, it's not that hard". But no one on here has said NOT to. That's what I was referring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter