Trip Report - HKDL Wednesday, Feb 20th

PAGAS

Mouseketeer
DD was wide awake at 3:30 am in the morning. Sitting up straight in her bed talking to her animals. There was no coaxing her back to sleep. We both fell back asleep, but she never did. We headed down for breakfast around 7 am and afterwards to the MTR to Disneyland. We ended up getting to Disneyland much quicker than we expected, which meant we were there nearly an hour before opening. It took less than five minutes to buy tickets. Luckily Main Street opens a half hour before the park, so DD got to meet Minnie and Mickey before the park opened. DD had brought Figaro with her and loved showing her to Minnie Mouse. All the characters we met were far more interactive than any other park. They took a lot of time with each visitor, which meant for longer lines, but it was worth it.

We decided our best strategy was to try and ride Space Mountain first. Turns out, it isn’t so popular here in Hong Kong so we were able to ride it three times and Buzz Lightyear three times without waiting in line. The big draw in Tomorrowland is Autopia. The mad rush was to get there in the morning and the wait time was never below 45 minutes, so we didn’t get a chance to ride it.

We then headed to Fantasyland to watch the Golden Mickeys show. A lot of the show was in Chinese, but all the songs were in English. Tarzan came over to DD and played with her hair, I am not sure she realized who he was. Then it was onto It’s a Small World, Teacups and Winnie the Pooh. Winnie the Pooh had a big line all day and was one of only three rides that had Fastpasses. After Winnie the Pooh, we went to the Storybook Shoppe to get DD new ears for Hong Kong. There weren’t many ears to choose from, in fact that shelves were quite empty. People were shopping like crazy and it was hard for the salespeople to stock the shelves fast enough. DD’s new ears were pink with a red and white bow. DD wanted a set of Pluto ears, but they didn’t say Hong Kong Disneyland, so she said Grammy would get her the Pluto ears in Disneyland. We grabbed lunch and rode Buzz again while the ears were being embroidered.

After we picked up the new ears, we headed over to Toy Story Land. We rode Slinky Dog and Army Men Parachute Drop. The lines were long over here, reminiscent of Toy Story Land in Paris. We cut it real close to see the parade, but we made it just in time. The music was the same as the parade in Disneyland, but some of the words were changed to fit the Flights of Fantasy theme. And part of it was in Chinese (obviously.) DD liked the Pooh float the best.

The line at Jungle Cruise was quite long, so we headed over to ride the carousel, visit characters and do some shopping. We also picked up a new button for DD. I lied and said it was her birthday because when I asked for one, they said “for her birthday?” and I went with it. While shopping four stores in, we came to the realization that we weren’t going to find the Pluto DD was hoping for. Eeyore was second on the wish list, so we picked up the last one on the shelf. There are baskets in all the shops here and people were just stuffing them full of stuff. It was madness.

We headed back over to the Jungle Cruise and rode it twice in a row. This Jungle Cruise is quite different. It goes around an island with Tarzan’s tree house in the middle and there is a fire and water show at the end. We rode in an English speaking boat both times, but I think the jokes must have been lost in translation. They both mentioned turning into a gorilla if you went through a window…

After the Jungle Cruise, we went to fastpass Space Mountain. They said not to bother, it was a walk on. We rode Orbitron (HK version of Astro Orbiter) with a 20 minute wait and then walked on to Space Mountain SEVEN times in a row. I think I have ridden this version more than the one in California. I was amazed there was no line. And that Autopia was still 45 minutes. DD just wanted to ride it again and again, she was running down the ramp and the cast members remembered her every time. We sort of stuck out here. The lady working at Chip and Dale remembered us from the morning with Mickey and Minnie. The other comical thing about HK Disneyland was the number of people who wanted to take pictures of DD. It was so very strange, we had our own mini paparazzi. It happened several times and everyone was really nice about it, but it was rather silly.

Space Mountain wore DD out. We grabbed a quick dinner and DD passed out in her stroller. She slept through the fireworks and the whole train ride home. If you ever get a chance to visit HK Disneyland, the subway is one of the neatest things. All the windows are shaped like Mickey Mouse and even the handles inside the cars are shaped like Mickey. There are character statues inside the cars and it is really decked out Disney style. DD’s heart remains with the monorail…
8491462527_b16261987f_z.jpg

8491462487_673e1e05dd_z.jpg

8491462377_c99b839eff_z.jpg

8491462391_515fde8412_z.jpg

8491462357_c09cffb851_z.jpg

8491462287_bee80000d7_z.jpg

8491462257_17059d1cfb_z.jpg

8491462211_c995029da6_z.jpg

8492562242_a75ba36cae_z.jpg

8491462107_0fd5a6c99b_z.jpg

8492562158_54468625ee_z.jpg

8491462067_336fbbeab2_z.jpg

8492562112_7dfeb633eb_z.jpg

8491461991_d522c09f30_z.jpg

8492561930_873a09c78f_z.jpg

8491461877_be1fc916ac_z.jpg

8492561934_1b7f2dc416_z.jpg

8492561820_d320f18a69_z.jpg

8491461631_fe68af67c7_z.jpg

8492561248_6829bf4e1b_z.jpg

8491461139_284ac3e782_z.jpg

8491461089_e6225c964d_z.jpg

8492561100_a477920027_z.jpg

8492561080_e6239f2328_z.jpg

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you had a great time. Did you ride Space Mountain much? :rotfl:

Wow great photos. Thanks for sharing your day :)

We are heading to HK and HKDL this Christmas :) We are so excited. How long are you staying in Hong Kong ?? I would love to hear more about your holiday highlights. Ohhh 1 question if I may could you find out if Duffy's Girlfriend Shellie May is available at HKDL. Many thanks :love:

How old is your DD? My kids are 6 and 4 with Decrmber birthdays and they do not even want to ride Barnstormer when we go to WDW in May! Did you just do one day at the park? Where did you eat and do you like it? We leave in less than two weeks and I am super excited and super nervous. How long did you say in HK and did DD ever adjust? I am so worried about the jet lag and 12 hour difference.

My daughter is 4 years old, she has always loved coasters. She rode the Matterhorn in DLR when she was 2 (back when the height limit was 35".) Thankfully she still likes the kiddie rides as well.

We were in HK for 8 days and she did adjust. We kept our hotel curtains open to expose us all to sunlight as much as possible, that really helped regulate things. We only took one day of the trip to go to Disney.

Have a great trip! Let me know if you have any other questions.

So is there anything in HK you did that you higly recommend or would not recommend? We are also doing 8 days, 9 nights and my DD is also 4, DS is 6. What was your fav thing in HK besides HKDL?

I can't wait to hear more about your HK holiday. We are going for 19 days in December.

So is there anything in HK you did that you higly recommend or would not recommend? We are also doing 8 days, 9 nights and my DD is also 4, DS is 6. What was your fav thing in HK besides HKDL?

We took the ferry over to Macau for a day to see the old town and lighthouse. We also took the cable car to Lantau Island. We watched the light show at night several times on HK Harbor, but that was easy since our hotel room overlooked it. Our daughter loved going on the double decker trams and the ferries, they were like rides for her! We also took the Peak Tram, which was really neat.

Great trip report! Just starting to plan a trip for 2015 with our family (from Australia).

1. Did you rent or bring your own stroller?
2. Where did you stay in HK?
3. Would you have wanted a 2nd day at HKDL if you could have?

Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter