• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip report: Egypt: Ancient Wonders and the Legendary Nile, National Geographic, October 26-November 5, 2023, Complete.

Our four years of being a Nielsen ratings family came to an end last week when they removed our equipment. Because we are no longer be a Nielsen family, I can share a story from earlier in the cruise. At one of the meals on the ship when we were at the same table as Bill, I mentioned that we were a Nielsen family. Bill then shared that he had also been a Nielsen family. I asked Bill how long he was with Nielsen, and he said that he called to cancel after only a few months because he grew tired of it. Was Bill telling the truth? The odds of his also being a Nielsen family were close to nil, and one would think, as a former scientist, he would find some interest in participating in any kind of research, even if it was only market research. It was another one of those conversations that called into question Bill’s character.

Back to the present. The morning started with an early check-out from the riverboat and off to the airport. We were taking a chartered, not private, plane, and all of the security and check-in protocols remained the same as if we were taking EgyptAir, not Petroleum Air Services, which was the name of the charter. At the airport, we noticed that in addition to our group, there were three other groups of NatGeo travelers who were on solo trips, including the family of giants. Mama giant explained to me later in the day that they did not want to mimic our itinerary by having to leave so early in the morning to fly to Luxor, so they started their trip in Luxor, on the cruise, and would do all of the Cairo part of the trip consecutively. Luckily for them, the plane had Southwest-style seating in the front, with two sets of seats facing each other, so the boys could sit with minimal discomfort to their extremely long legs.

The flight was uneventful. One aspect to a charter flight that was pretty cool was that like when we travelled by bus, we could leave our belongings on the plane, since the plane would be waiting for us.

Today was the day that I started to get sick again with early signs of fever and fatigue. I later concluded that the lingering stomach bug had weakened my immune system and made me vulnerable the other diseases which were so easily transmitted as a result of spending so much time packed in large groups in very small places with little ventilation. If you can go to Egypt and not get sick, especially during peak season, you have an incredible immune system.

The two spectacular temples were familiar to anyone who saw at least the remake of “Death on the Nile”. Luckily, unlike in that movie, there was no fear of being crushed by scheming murderers pushing boulders from on high:
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_7878.jpeg
It was at this point that Bill got tired of playing second fiddle. When Magdy began one of his explanations, Bill had had enough and interrupted, “Magdy, you never give me the opportunity to speak!” You may remember earlier in the trip, I asked Bill why Magdy wasn’t giving him more opportunities to present, and my question finally prompted Bill into action. Magdy surprisingly looked shocked, as if there was some way that he didn’t know he was hogging the floor. Bill’s expression of frustration did not increase the amount of time that Magdy gave him, which maybe was a factor in Bill being so irritable.

There were signs at Abu Simbel for a sound-and-light show, which of course we would not be attending. If I was designing my own itinerary, I would have wanted a “Spy Who Loved Me” filming locations tour and at least one sound-and-light show. While the temples at Abu Simbel were spectacular to see in person, the combination of being templed-out, not feeling great, and the extreme heat (another reason why it would have been better seen as a sound-and-light show at night) limited the amount of time I spent inside the temples. We went into the air-conditioned gift store, where Karen wanted to buy scarab souvenirs for her co-workers. They were priced at $10 each, and she did not want to spend more than the $5 each that I had spent for the hand-woven cotton hand towels that I bought for my co-workers at Magdy’s “special” stall at Aswan. Faced with a take-it-or-leave-it scenario, the owner took it.

I went back outside while Karen mulled over buying more of them, which prompted Bill’s second incident of mansplaining. I was coaching Karen in how to bargain, since I didn’t have the energy for a second round myself, when Bill advanced his theory that because a seller will never sell lower than his predetermined price, and a buyer will never pay more for something than they are prepared to spend, that it is impossible to end a negotiation with anyone having hard feelings. Someone pointed out that Bill’s theory was incorrect because sometimes people have buyer’s remorse and regret over-spending. Bill countered that he wasn’t talking about feelings that develop later, only one’s experiences during the negotiation process. I explained that a person can feel put off or even insulted if a seller charges too much initially, even if the buyer subsequently lowers the price later. Suffice it to say, I felt that I understood how to negotiate without Bill’s help.

It was then time for our break. We all got boxed lunches and had the choice between eating there or bringing it back on the plane. I was feeling progressively worse, which meant in this case that my temperature was creeping up, and I had no appetite. I was planning on bringing the boxed lunch to the plane anyway when Magdy got an urgent call, as he was informed that the pilot was back at the airport, ready to take off, and that we needed to leave right away.

We made our way back to the bus and the airport and repeated the security process. While we were in the waiting room, we observed Magdy visibly upset. Several people needed to comfort him, patting him, holding his arm or patting his shoulder, trying to de-escalate him. We were convinced that the plane had left without us, but we could still see it on the tarmac. We boarded the plane after a wait and left. Later, I asked Magdy what had happened. It turned out that the caller had lied to him by saying that the pilot was ready to depart when in fact the pilot arrived at the airport after us.

We were all glad to be returning to the Ritz. Being sick, the Cairo air really got to me. I haven’t mentioned it before, but the air pollution in Cairo is severe. Someone told me that they asked Bill about it, and he replied that it was humidity, not air pollution. He didn’t get many takers on that theory. Given the extremely high percentage of men that we observed smoking combined with the air pollution, it’s amazing that any man doesn’t die of lung cancer before reaching 60.

I was not up for the group dinner that night at the hotel’s Italian restaurant, so I ordered room service: chicken noodle soup, bread, and a fruit platter. The whole meal came to around $20, including the service fee. It was delicious as well.

I was coughing and needed some cough medicine, which I didn’t think to bring. I called the concierge and described needing a cough medicine with guaifenesin. She called a pharmacist and arranged for the medicine to be delivered to my room. A short while later, the medication arrived, and I charged it and gave the courier a tip. The whole thing came to 100 Egyptian pounds, around $3.

Final Day

At this point, it felt like I had a case of Pharoah’s Revenge. I had a fever, fatigue, and slight cough, so I kept taking the medicine. I rested, sleeping on-and-off, for the day after going down with Karen for breakfast. I decided that I needed to power through the after-hours visit to the Egyptian Museum and the farewell dinner, so I took some Motrin, which got me through the night.

There was a brief get-together before going to the museum, and Nat Geo provided alcoholic beverages for the second and final time. There were a couple of people who avoided me, eying me like I might give them the plague, but most of the others seemed genuinely happy to see me after my disappearance for the past day. Even Bill, who I think had received the message that he was leaving a poor impression, approached me to say that he was glad that I was feeling better, since I wouldn’t have wanted to come all this way to miss the private visit to the Egyptian Museum.

The Ritz is adjacent to the museum, though we were accompanied, as always during our excursions in Cairo, with an armed bodyguard. Here is a final photo of Bill, in full Bill-galia, speaking about his favorite piece of the museum. I couldn’t really understand what it made it so special other than the fact that it was very old and documented the reuniting of Lower and Upper Egypt after their division.
IMG_7891.jpeg

Here is what the museum looks like when empty, or nearly empty:
IMG_7900.jpeg
The highlight of the museum, certainly, was the opportunity to be alone in the room that contains Tut’s treasures, including his famous gold mask and coffins. When this artifact was exhibited around the world, the museums were thronged with visitors. It was almost impossible to see it through the throngs of other visitors, so to be alone in the same room with it now was a powerful and unique experience.
IMG_7896.jpeg

There were a couple of moments of levity during the tour. As we passed a statue of Zoser, I commented on the Ghostbusters reference, which got Magdy singing its famous title song. Bill, however, corrected me that the actual name of the villain was Gozer, not Zoser, and that he was Mesopotamian, not Egyptian. Bill did share, however, that the Pharoah Akhenaten was the inspiration for the look of Jafar, as you can see below:
IMG_7907.jpeg

jafar__aladdin__by_inkonix_dffhrpr-pre.jpg
After the museum was the final dinner, which was held at the hotel’s outdoor restaurant. I was pretty drained after the cocktail party and museum, so when the manager asked me what I had ordered, I was stumped. I guessed fish, and he told me that fish was not one of the selections, so I chose chicken. Happily, I have not had to preorder a meal since then. After the standard dips and kabobs, and a nice warm pudding, it was time for farewells. As I was standing to leave, Bill, to his credit, actually approached me, shook my hand, and said, “Carl, it was a pleasure traveling with you.” I have to hand it to him, he sold it well, given that the sentiment could not have been genuine.

You know a trip is special when the prospect of its ending fills you with depression, and maybe you even contemplate wanting to move there. This trip was the polar opposite. It might have been my illness, exhaustion, and/or having had my fill of seeing temples and eating in groups, but I have never been so glad to get to an airport and board a plane back home.

Final installment: Overall impressions and recommendations

Wow. Thank you for this extensive report. I've been researching Egyptian trips for a while now, and your review really helped.

I wonder if you've heard of 'Tips for Travelers' on YT? He has a video where he talks about avoiding illness in Egypt. He mentioned that he never got sick, while almost every other passenger in his group did. He did the following:

-only ate cooked vegetables, never raw veggies
-only ate fruit that had been peeled
-sanitized hands after exchanging cash bills, after touching dishes and utensils, frequently at every tourist site, etc.
-only drank bottled water from his riverboat, as bottled water in the stores was often tap water put in reused bottles. Used this bottle water for brushing his teeth, washing hands, etc.
-almost never used the restrooms at tourist spots - and only used his private restroom on the boat.

Not sure if any of that advice would have been helpful for you to avoid stomach issues, but perhaps something for future travelers to keep in mind.

Wow. Thank you for this extensive report. I've been researching Egyptian trips for a while now, and your review really helped.

I wonder if you've heard of 'Tips for Travelers' on YT? He has a video where he talks about avoiding illness in Egypt. He mentioned that he never got sick, while almost every other passenger in his group did. He did the following:

-only ate cooked vegetables, never raw veggies
-only ate fruit that had been peeled
-sanitized hands after exchanging cash bills, after touching dishes and utensils, frequently at every tourist site, etc.
-only drank bottled water from his riverboat, as bottled water in the stores was often tap water put in reused bottles. Used this bottle water for brushing his teeth, washing hands, etc.
-almost never used the restrooms at tourist spots - and only used his private restroom on the boat.

Not sure if any of that advice would have been helpful for you to avoid stomach issues, but perhaps something for future travelers to keep in mind.

I have not heard of "Tips for Travelers." I believe everyone who would get sick on the trip had already gotten sick by the time of the Nile cruise. That being said, here is my feedback based on applying his principles to the pre-cruise part of the trip:
1. I did eat salads, so possibly this could have been a culprit. That being said, the olives and tomatoes were spectacular. All the tomatoes were farmers' market quality, not the pale fruit with thick and hard skin that we have in this country. The olives were similarly delicious, as one would expect.
2. Except for a lone date, I pretty much stuck to mangoes and pomegranates, so those passed his test.
3. It sounds like if I had followed this advice, I would have pretty much been needing to use a quart of sanitizer daily. That being said, I probably could have used more hand sanitizer than I did. There was one on the bus, which I used every time I got on and off the bus.
4. As I mentioned, Magdy was great about supplying bottled water, which we were told to use for both drinking water and also for brushing our teeth.
5. It would have been hard not to use the restroom except on the boat or hotel. Given the demanding touring schedule, I'm not sure how someone could have gone all day without using a bathroom. The bathrooms did have soap and/or hand sanitizer, though, so I'm not sure how these would have been the culprits, either.

Thanks for your feedback. This report so far is 22 pages on Word, though you wouldn't necessarily know it from how it appears here, but I did want to try to at least partially fill the void of trip reports to this part of the world. I'm glad that it has been helpful for you.

I have not heard of "Tips for Travelers." I believe everyone who would get sick on the trip had already gotten sick by the time of the Nile cruise. That being said, here is my feedback based on applying his principles to the pre-cruise part of the trip:
1. I did eat salads, so possibly this could have been a culprit. That being said, the olives and tomatoes were spectacular. All the tomatoes were farmers' market quality, not the pale fruit with thick and hard skin that we have in this country. The olives were similarly delicious, as one would expect.
2. Except for a lone date, I pretty much stuck to mangoes and pomegranates, so those passed his test.
3. It sounds like if I had followed this advice, I would have pretty much been needing to use a quart of sanitizer daily. That being said, I probably could have used more hand sanitizer than I did. There was one on the bus, which I used every time I got on and off the bus.
4. As I mentioned, Magdy was great about supplying bottled water, which we were told to use for both drinking water and also for brushing our teeth.
5. It would have been hard not to use the restroom except on the boat or hotel. Given the demanding touring schedule, I'm not sure how someone could have gone all day without using a bathroom. The bathrooms did have soap and/or hand sanitizer, though, so I'm not sure how these would have been the culprits, either.

Thanks for your feedback. This report so far is 22 pages on Word, though you wouldn't necessarily know it from how it appears here, but I did want to try to at least partially fill the void of trip reports to this part of the world. I'm glad that it has been helpful for you.
Thank you for this feedback! My mouth was watering thinking about the fresh olives and tomatoes you described. We had a similar experience in Greece - simply no comparison on taste!

I've been on tours with expert guides in several places but never had one that sounded as condescending as Bill does. It sounds like he needs to stick to teaching graduate level courses.

Thank you for the detailed trip report. It’s the granular details that help give me a good idea of what to expect.

FWIW, the CDC and NIH recommend taking a bismuth containing (ie pepto bismol) tablet at every meal as the only proven interventional way to prevent traveler’s diarrhea. Absolutely still wash hands, avoid fresh fruits and veg you can’t peel, and all the other recommendations as well.

Thankfully, olives we eat aren’t fresh. They are all preserved. Unpreserved olives are apparently pretty inedible.

Thank you for the detailed trip report. It’s the granular details that help give me a good idea of what to expect.

FWIW, the CDC and NIH recommend taking a bismuth containing (ie pepto bismol) tablet at every meal as the only proven interventional way to prevent traveler’s diarrhea. Absolutely still wash hands, avoid fresh fruits and veg you can’t peel, and all the other recommendations as well.

Thankfully, olives we eat aren’t fresh. They are all preserved. Unpreserved olives are apparently pretty inedible.
Thanks for your feedback.

This was my first experience in a guided tour, as I mentioned, and my expectation was that for the amount of money we paid, if there were specific dietary recommendations or preventative care, Nat Geo should have provided it. They were very pro-active about providing water and advising us to only use bottled water. They also made recommendations to bring immodium, which I did. There was certainly no recommendation to bring pepto bismal and take it before every mail.

Thanks for your feedback.

This was my first experience in a guided tour, as I mentioned, and my expectation was that for the amount of money we paid, if there were specific dietary recommendations or preventative care, Nat Geo should have provided it. They were very pro-active about providing water and advising us to only use bottled water. They also made recommendations to bring immodium, which I did. There was certainly no recommendation to bring pepto bismal and take it before every mail.
I made the mistake in Sicily on our pre-day of having an Iced tea. Super tired, very late ITA airlines arrival, and just wasn't thinking. We discovered to our detriment that Pepto Bismal was not available in Sicily. We contacted multiple pharmacies and no one sold any bismuth products. The pharmacist ultimately suggested something I was unfamiliar with and was not an antibiotic, and it stopped the cranky butt problem. This was pre-days so no guides to talk to...But I had gastrointestinal issues for the first time in my life for about 45 days thereafter. I usually carry a small emergency kit when I travel. I had neglected to refill the bismuth. I won't ever make that mistake again!

The CDC does *NOT* recommend that everyone should take Pepto Bismol (Bismuth Subsalicylate) to prevent Traveler's Diarrhea (TD)!

The CDC did study Bismuth Subsalicylate (BSS) as one of *many* options for the prevention and treatment of TD but found it was only 50% effective. As with all drugs, there is a number of contraindications and safety of use issues that you should be aware of before taking. It is noted that BSS commonly causes blackening of the tongue among other possible side effects. It is *NOT* a magic pill!

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2024/preparing/travelers-diarrhea

I'd just like to know how much money was "donated" to a which Senators and Members of Congress in exchange for the CDC study. That would explain why other countries are not familiar with this option.

-Paul

Before we left on the trip, I shared with Karen my four main fears of what could go wrong: (1) that we would get sick, (2) that we would get bored of Egypt, (3) that we wouldn’t like the other people in the group, and (4) that we would get kidnapped or killed. Karen joked for the first couple of weeks after we got back how she couldn’t believe that three of my fears came true:

Illness: Fear #1 materialized. As soon as I got back home, I took a COVID test, and it turned out that I had COVID, not Pharoah’s Revenge. I received my most recent booster a month before the trip and had successfully avoided COVID until now. I tested positive for two more weeks after arriving home, and it took about that long for its symptoms to recede. Again, I attributed its effects to my stomach bug earlier in the trip, which weakened my immune system. Getting so sick definitely negatively impacted my overall satisfaction with the trip.

Boredom: Fear #2 materialized. You have to really have a deep passion for Egypt and its history, not just a wish to cross seeing the pyramids off your bucket list, to sustain the itinerary for this expedition. For every high point, there was a visit to a quarry or some other excursion that felt like filler or a repeat of something that we had just done the day before, if not earlier that day.

Group travel: Fear #3 materialized. We enjoyed the company of most of our fellow travelers, some more than others (yes, I’m thinking of you, Jackie, not our fellow group member who tried to shame me because my electric vehicle had fewer American parts than his electric vehicle). I couldn’t have predicted, however, how negative an impact our expert would have on our overall experience of group travel. Beyond that, Nat Geo’s structure of two and sometimes three group meals a day really isn’t suited to introverts, at least for this many consecutive days.

Safety. Fear #4 did not materialize. This concern was the one that caused the most anxiety pre-trip yet the only one that turned out to be a total non-issue. That being said, it is worth repeating that we never left the hotel, even when walking only five minutes to the museum, without the accompaniment of an armed bodyguard.

Compounding these complaints was that the expedition really could have been much better than it was. The supposed benefit of traveling with National Geographic is the expert. When Bill was at his best, such as during his two lectures and many of his brief introductions to what we were seeing, he most certainly added to our experience in a way that a trip without an expert would seem significantly less edifying, if not unfulfilling. Bill could easily have given a lecture every night, which would have gone some way to justifying his presence and expense. Instead, these benefits were considerably countermanded by the combination of Bill’s unpleasant personality and Magdy’s insistence on primarily identifying as an Egyptologist, not expedition leader, though he was certainly glad to accept the latter role’s tip. It is certainly possible that other Nat Geo tours do not suffer from these handicaps.

The trip was very expensive, almost $1K per day per person. For that kind of money, what Nat Geo provided was at times austere. The Steingenberger Hotel stay was the inexcusable nadir of the trip. Being allowed to choose from only three or at most four menu items was limiting, and the fact that those choices always had to be made earlier that day, when not the day before, only compounded the frustration. Finally, the lack of any exclusive experience beyond the private visit to the Egyptian Museum did nothing to justify the expense.

I hate to end this report on a negative note, however. As I have shared in my previous posts, there were a number of extremely gratifying and meaningful moments which the limitations of this expedition cannot negate. I’ll always have Halloween Day.

I want to thank everyone who has followed this report and especially those who have shared their encouragement and supportive comments. I get that it’s a lot more negative than 99% of the other threads on this board. Nevertheless, I hope that it will continue to be helpful to future readers and safe travels to all.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do the report and for giving the good ... and bad. It certainly gives me some food for thought. I have used Nat Geo before on hiking trips and have had great experiences, but this does not sound up to par. And the whole expert situation in addition to the tension with Magdy and his role must have been very uncomfortable at times. Must admit that getting sick is always a big fear on trips like this--so sorry that it materialized for you. Spending all that money and not having an A+ experience is a huge bummer. I hope the next trip you have planned (whatever that might be) makes up for it!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459348/

Bismuth subsalicylate is the only “medication” recommended for any traveler. Do you have to take it? No. But it’s the only oral preventive that has any science to back it up. I’m fairly certain “big bismuth” and congress had nothing to do with it. Lol It is not an antibiotic and should be discussed with your doctor to make sure it won’t interfere with any other meds you’re taking and so its possible side effects do not alarm you. (The black tongue is harmless and temporary, a chemical reaction between the bismuth and sulfur in your body.)

Interesting, as I read the CDC link and interpreted it as “bismuth has a 50% chance of preventing TD and nothing else we’ve found does anything provable. If you want to take something for prophylaxis, we recommend using it if you don’t have any contraindications.” Perspective is variable, isn’t it?

As for group tours, we’ve done lots of independent travel and a variety of group tours. I’ve found the most like-minded travelers to be on Road Scholar trips. I think it’s a combo of it being billed as educational travel and it being solidly mid-range in price. There’s the occasional irritant, but if the 11 trips I’ve done (some of those were hiking trips) most are really interesting, non-entitled, intellectually curious people.

Last edited:
Great trip report! The group travel has always been a concern mine but I don't think there is any other safe way to see Egypt. The fact that you can't leave your hotel without an armed body guard tells me I just don't need to see Egypt that much when there are so many other places to visit.

Thank you for your honest trip report. Egypt is on my bucket list, and NatGeo is one company I had been considering. I appreciate the unvarnished feedback, both positive and constructive. That price point is rough to swallow- I did 3 weeks in Africa on safari for about the same money, although we didn't stay anywhere the caliber of a Ritz.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter