Trip Report — ECV, gluten free, kid under three — July 2017

Prof Drake

Earning My Ears
We recently got back from a trip July 5-10th (PTR here). Our experiences might be of interest to folks with physical challenges (I was in a TravelScoot), dietary restrictions (my wife and I both needed gluten free meals), and/or young kids (we were traveling with a 2 year old and an 8 year old). I'll also describe our use of Fast Pass, now that there's no longer the long minimum return time. I’ll be going day-by-day, but I might have a “lessons learned” summary post at the end.

Day 1: Wednesday, July 5th

We arrived at our hotel (the Camelot) mid-day. They didn’t have a room for us, but said they would text when they did. They did let us park early so we could head to Disneyland.

We unpacked the TravelScoot, which I’d bought based on suggestions on these boards. I’d used it around work, but never given it the kind of workout it had at Disneyland. My short review: It worked great for my purposes. The battery lasted quite well, it was small and maneuverable in the tight Disneyland spaces, and while I got tired of sitting in it by the end of the day, I think that would happen with any seat. Sometimes it had traction problems when trying to make a too-tight left turn, and there was one surface on which it slipped (the exit ramp for Space Mountain), but it’s a purchase I’m happy with — which I was worried about, since it can only be bought online.

When we arrived, due to my defibrillator, I couldn't go through security’s metal detector. I had to wait for a supervisor to approve (or do) a "visual" inspection. It was a long wait. (During the wait, my wife went to a ticket booth and confirmed the LMT Club vouchers could just be taken to the gate, then hung out with the kids.) During the course of our five day visit, I found the security procedure for me (and the associated wait) varied widely. But it was important to budget the time in case it was a slow one.

It was also on this trip through security that we discovered we couldn't bring in a Sitgo. Our security person told his supervisor they hadn't allowed last one due to worries it might slip. I had thought this might happen, given the varying reports in the Amazon reviews about whether they could go through Disney security. But I had also thought my DMV handicapped paperwork might help me get it through. No such luck.

The LMT Club vouchers worked fine at the gate, which is something else I’d had a small worry about. After arrival I went to City Hall to get mobility accommodation info. I found that the deal with rides is consistent, and is as reported elsewhere on these boards. But with parades and fireworks, apparently not. I had read that there were three mobility accommodation areas for the Disneyland parades, for example, and that they could be reserved. Instead at City Hall I heard there were two, first-come, first-served. I also had the sense that the answers they give might depend on one’s needs. Asking there, rather than trying to pre-plan, seems wise.

During my time at City Hall, my wife and kids rode the Main St fire truck, met Chip, and got new penny passports. This gives you an idea of how long it took. Don’t head in there until you have time available.

By then everyone was hot and we got ice cream on Main Street. Nice and cool. Little seating, so it might not have been as restful as we needed, but I vultured a table.

We headed into the west side of the park. I’d thought we'd have a long return wait for Jungle Cruise, but it was only 15 minutes. We got pressed pennies at the nearby store and I refilled water bottles at drinking fountains by Indiana Jones.

Our 2yo absolutely loved the Jungle Cruise. As we came around the first corner, my wife said to him, "Look, a tiger!" He said, "It's real!" He exclaimed and pointed through the rest of the ride.

Next we found, and waited in, the disability return line outside the exit for Pirates. When we got to the end of the line we were given a longer wait than Jungle Cruise -- maybe 35 minutes. My wife did a diaper change for our 2yo and pressed pennies and shopping with the kids (our 2yo got a pirate set) while I collected Fast Passes for Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain. It was possible because the first two had immediate return times, but that also created time pressure. On the other hand, we didn't want the Splash return time to get any later.

I met them and got in the line to check in for our Pirates return time, while they went to another shop. I called them when I got to the front of the line. Then there was a longer wait inside the ride. (I was starting to learn that the disability return process can be both shorter and quite a bit longer than the standby line.) The kids enjoyed the ride, but our 8yo was ready for a coaster. We also only had 20 minutes left on our first two FPs.

We decided, rather than rider swap Big Thunder, which would have made our Mansion passes unusable, our 8yo and I would ride it once while my wife and our 2yo went to the Mansion. Our 8yo loved Big Thunder and wanted to be sure to go back during our trip. At Big Thunder I learned that some rides urge you to leave your mobility device at the exit, but then put you in a line of other people being accommodated, with no place to sit, in the sun. Next time on Big Thunder I will ride through the exit.

Next our 8yo and I went to the Mansion, just in time, and enjoyed that as well (though she didn’t request a return). I was urged to leave my scooter outside for that, as well, and people with severely limited mobility should ignore that, because there are a few steps, some standing, and some walking required. On the other hand, those are important parts of the ride, and it is cool and dark, so definitely a better choice to do as they urge here, rather than Big Thunder.

My wife and our 2yo had done the Mansion and Pooh, and we met them in time to do Pooh again together. This was my first ride being in the regular queue, and the TravelScoot handled the corners brilliantly. Our 2yo saw, and wanted to meet, the Pooh characters nearby -- but the line was long and we didn't have his autograph book. Got some pressed coins nearby.

Our 8yo wanted to do more shopping so we did the first test of me in the scooter and our 2yo with his harness and leash. It worked well. He stood at the fence and talked to Pooh characters between families who had waited in line, and greeted several characters as they walked by during a shift change. Later my wife and I thought our 2yo and I had lost the spyglass from his new pirate set, but it had actually just gotten into my scooter basket. (Our 2yo had put a drink there earlier, so I suspect him :).)

Anyway, it felt good to do some parent switch-off, instead of my wife always handling our 2yo. And he was very taken with Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, Rabbit, and Eeyore, which was really cute. (Though he was also a bit intimidated when they walked close and reached out during the shift change.)

We had more than an hour before the Splash FPs could be used, and we're accustomed to eating early, so a little before five we went up the ramp for the Hungry Bear. Nothing on the menu appealed to our grownups. So we headed for New Orleans Square. I checked the Unofficial Guide and it said Cafe Orleans supposedly has good pomme frites. That's when we discovered that we thought we were missing the spyglass. I went and scoured Critter Country while my wife found only a 15 minute wait for a table.

When I got back I ordered, and I really loved my meal (excellently cooked salmon over fresh, flavorful vegetables, together with polenta and broth) while my wife's was just okay (a salad with chicken). There were lots of gluten free choices, but unfortunately the pomme frites weren't among them (not a dedicated frier). Our 2yo had just started eating while my wife and our 8yo were finishing, so he and I hung out while they used the bathroom and looked in a shop.

After dinner, our 8yo and I headed for Splash while my wife and our 2yo went to It's a Small World. Apparently he loved it, just as he did when 15 months old. Our 8yo and I had a great time on Splash, then met them in the IASW gift shop for more pressed coins (quarters, this time).

Our last stop was ToonTown, for some running around before heading to the hotel to check in to our room. Our 8yo was so tired after that my wife gave her a piggy back ride, while pushing our 2yo in the stroller, from the hub to our hotel. It took so long to get settled that we let the kids stay up to watch fireworks from the hotel's outdoor hallway. But they were canceled, which it took a while to figure out.

Day 2: Thursday, July 6th

I woke early, but let everyone else sleep through Magic Morning. There'd been so much interrupted and reduced sleep on the trip, just getting this far.

Everyone else woke in time to arrive a little after regular park opening, so we went to DCA, which hadn't had early opening. It was a much shorter wait for the visual inspection -- someone who could do it was right there.

Everyone else went to Radiator Springs, while I grabbed FPs for Midway Mania and California Screamin'. I caught up with them right after the Mater ride. We did Luigi's together -- the first time for any of us, and we all enjoyed it. As we left, we were starting to feel the time pressure of our FPs and our Minnie brunch (a 10:30am reservation in DL). But we saw Lightning McQueen was greeting, and our 2yo had wanted to see him so much, so we got in line.

We met McQueen, which was apparently bitter sweet for our 2yo. He'd seen some Disneyland videos with footage of Radiator Springs Racers and wanted to ask McQueen if he could "ride on him." Our 2yo is just a couple inches too short for RSR (even though he's not turning three until later this month). I'm not sure how the conversation went (or if that question even got asked) but my wife commented, as we headed to Midway Mania, that it's always hard to meet your idol.

We got there and all rode Midway Mania together, me and our 2yo next to each other. He didn't really make it work, but he had the idea, and did a lot of pulling the string. It was the first time for any of us, and I enjoyed it, but I'm a little puzzled why it develops such long lines.

We rider swapped California Screamin', which our 8yo loooved, even though she says the part after the loop is a little hard on her neck. My wife took our 2yo on the carousel. We had checked the app (but not the times) and seen that Woody and Buzz were meeting around the edge of the wharf, and given our 2yo the choice between that and the carousel. He chose the carousel, but after that wanted the characters. So I went off to take him, while my wife and our 8yo did Screamin'.

At first it went great. It was the first time our 2yo and I tried to go somewhere in particular with him wearing the harness and me in the scooter (rather than yesterday's wandering). We made progress while I looked for the character location. Then our 2yo stepped too close and I ran over his foot. We stopped in the middle of the walkway and he wept on my lap. It lasted quite a while, some combination of pain, shock, betrayal, and tiredness. Eventually he stopped crying at the offer of some of the Kind bar in my pocket. He ate bites still curled on my lap. We got lots of looks from the (blessedly light) foot traffic.

Eventually we got going, but when I checked the app it said we'd gone too far. We retraced our steps and I realized the photo backdrop we'd passed was probably it, but no one was there. Looking more at the app, it turned out that Woody greeted first, and not until 10:15. I'd been hoping to leave for DL by 10ish and it was already almost 10:10. But the character meeting had been promised, and we were already there, so my wife and our 8yo met us there.

I ran off to get RSR FPs, for after our afternoon rest, and used the restroom, then had an increasingly-tense wait by the DCA exit for everyone else. It turned out that Woody was late, and my wife thought our reservation was for 11, so she let our 8yo press some coins.

Once my wife knew the timing, after we joined up, she started really wanting to hurry. The people going slowly through the exit were a frustration to both of us, not just me. We made it to the Plaza Inn a little past the 15 minute grace period I thought they'd give, but they let us in.

Personally, I think we missed some characters, but it went well. The chef came and talked with us about gluten-free food, which they brought to my wife and me. The kids ate the food from the buffet happily. And the characters that came by were ones our 2yo wanted to meet (Pooh and friends, Captain Hook, etc) and some of the interactions were great. My wife commented later that it was totally worth it.

I thought we might head back for our rest after that. But people were feeling refreshed by food, rest, and air conditioning -- and my wife had noticed Dumbo, which had been promised to our 2yo during yesterday's walk to IASW, only had a five minute wait. She and our 2yo rushed ahead. Our 8yo and I went more slowly, and asked about a Peter Pan return time on the way (30 minutes). When our 8yo and I caught up, they were bailing out. The line was longer than expected and then the ride went down. We decided to try Pinocchio next -- we got the Pinocchio movie from Netflix the week before the trip, and our 2yo had watched it two nights in a row. We headed in the exit and, after waiting a bit, it broke down.

We went and got a Peter Pan return time, then pressed some coins, and my wife took our 2yo to look at Christmas ornaments while our 8yo and I got some change and another pressed quarter for her. That took us to eight minutes or so before the return time. We went back to wait in the building's shade. Everyone loved it, including our 8yo, who had been acting a bit put out (while we were waiting she said she would have rather been having her first ride on the Matterhorn).

Then we were ready to head back, with a quick shopping stop on the way. Our 8yo had seen Tsum Tsums at a ToonTown shop the evening before and had decided, as we encourage, to think about it before buying one. She'd now decided she wanted to buy one before our nap, so we stopped at the Emporium. After some looking, we were told they are only sold in that ToonTown shop and World of Disney (we later learned this wasn’t true, finding them at several other stores). So off we went to World of Disney. We got her Tsum Tsum, and she spent time trying to decide if she wanted the four for $16 deal (eventually, she did), and my wife and our 2yo spent time shopping for an Anna doll (matching the Elsa he's taken over from our 8yo, and which he'd admired the day before) and Cars stuff (got a tractor-tipping play set), and we spent time doing pressed coins. Suffice to say, we got back for our nap a lot later than expected.

Our 8yo didn't want to nap, so she played with an iPad in the same room as me, while my wife and our 2yo napped in the other. I fell asleep almost immediately. When I woke, we had a very sweet time, mostly her talking with me about her Tsum Tsums and showing them to me (balancing them on each other, ordering them by squishiness, deciding whether we should look up the official name of one for which she didn't recognize the character, or just let her imagination decide).

Our 2yo and my wife woke up too late for the RSR FPs, but we pushed a little and made it for the next part of my plan: the Frozen musical and Pixar parade. We were just in time for Frozen because, once again, there was a long wait at security for the visual inspection.

Our 2yo was quite restless at the start of the musical, but then got into it. Our 8yo kept interrupting my wife, and her own attention, for the first 1/3, to talk about how cute the Tsum Tsum was that she'd brought along. I think this was in part a way of establishing that Frozen is for our 2yo, and now is something she really doesn't like. But we left having all enjoyed it (and at least my wife and I were glad to see the race-blind casting, including an Anna with skin tone like my wife's, though the kids didn’t comment and may not have noticed it).

When we got out they were setting up ropes for the Pixar parade. Our 8yo and I laid out our blanket and broke out the snacks, while my wife and our 2yo waited in a long line to change his diaper. It was another hit, with our 2yo super excited about characters and our 8yo enjoying them squirting her with water.

After the parade I thought we might jump into the Animation Academy session that was about to start, then go set up for the DL parade and fireworks. But instead my wife took over planning for the evening. She saw Monsters Inc was only five minutes, so we headed over there. Other post-parade people had the same idea, so it was more like 15, but still fine. I had never ridden it before, and was disappointed that the faces weren't articulated, even though the characters were close, large, intended to be speaking, and in a pretty recently-built ride.

Then we did everything in Bugs Land with actual five minute waits. Our 2yo loved it. Our 8yo asserted independence (and not being a little kid) by sitting out some rides in favor of the water area styled like a leaky hose. I checked on her regularly and once, very sweetly, she decided we should run after my wife and our 2yo to ride the little train with them.

As we were about to leave, the kids discovered the other water play area. They loved it, and got soaked. They wanted to go back to it another day. With the heat, that turned out to be a smart idea.

Then we were off to the Little Mermaid ride, but by then they were setting up for World of Color, which our 8yo really wanted to see. We explained that we didn't have FPs for it and our 8yo kept campaigning for me to see if any were left, which I thought I might be able to do with the app (I couldn’t) but also couldn't try while driving my scooter. In line our 8yo was complaining about not wanting to do the ride, but once it got going it won her over, in part with the music. The animatronic figures are also much better than Monsters Inc's.

Then we ate dinner at Pacific Wharf. We got out glow sticks for the kids, which cheered them. They were cold, their clothes still not dry. Our 8yo got wrapped in the parade blanket and our 2yo got cuddled by my wife. My vegetarian, gluten free tacos were passable on an empty stomach, which is the best I can say for them. Toward the end of the meal, World of Color started playing in the background. Our 8yo was happy and sad about that, seeing bits that the wharf didn't block over my wife's shoulder.

Rather than fight through the crowd we headed back the Radiator Springs direction. Surprising me, my wife suggested more shopping, which excited our 8yo. Our 2yo got a die-cast Doc Hudson. He kept asking for a Piston Cup trophy and our 8yo came close to spending much of her budget on one for him that said, "Best Brother." My wife and I pointed out that he wouldn't be able to play with it, which dissuaded her.

As we finally headed out, the fireworks in DL started. Our view got better and worse as we walked. Finally we stopped near Carthay Circle and watched most of the rest. The kids were entranced at first. Then our 8yo really wanted to record it with her camera. She watched the few minutes she recorded twice before bed. She wanted to watch it as we walked back to the hotel, but we told her it wasn't safe.

Back at the hotel, I reflected on all the planning I did before this trip, which we were following only in bits and pieces. I realized that, while it didn’t produce plans we followed, it prepared us to make plans on the fly. Planning as preparation for contingency planning.

Day 3: Friday, July 7th

The day ended with our 8yo spontaneously running over, kissing my arm, and saying, "I love you, Daddy!" It was late, but even after the walk back to the hotel, in the elevator up to our floor, she still had a huge grin and wide eyes. I suspect I did, too.

The day began with me awake early while everyone else slept in too late for park opening. That was a mixed thing. It was bad because, by the time we got there, lines were building, the temperature was rising, and the sun was intense. It was good because, after a short while there, it was clear our 2yo was already exhausted, overheated, and overstimulated. Less sleep would not have been good.

We split up at the top of Main St. My wife took our 2yo to get his Dumbo ride. Our 8yo and I collected Matterhorn FPs, because she'd been asking about riding it (and I'd never ridden it). Then we headed for Space Mountain FPs. It was clearly already a hot day for her. She was drinking water and using the mist fan. I wished I'd left her with my wife and our 2yo.

When we got to the SM FP distribution, the CM who greeted us didn't want to have me get a FP. Instead he wanted to give me a disability return time. I'd never had that happen before. But we were lucky it did.

When we got to Fantasyland I could see my wife and our 2yo were about to board the Casey Jr train. I asked our 8yo if she wanted to run and join them, but she didn't. My wife was trying to shout something complex to me that I couldn't quite hear. Then she said, "Read my text!"

It turned out our 2yo wasn't doing well. As my wife's text suggested, our 8yo and I got a couple pieces of watermelon from a cart full of ice and fruit, and a frozen lemonade, then staked out a place in the shade. Characters kept coming by. I kept asking our 8yo if she wanted to approach them. At first she didn't, but then did with Peter Pan and, later, Pinocchio.

When our 2yo and my wife arrived it was as dire as she'd said. Our 2yo didn't want to touch the watermelon, which is usually one of his favorite things. But with time, water, and being on my wife's lap, he perked up enough to start eating.

While we were resting we also looked at wait times on the app. Alice, which we'd been promising our 8yo since she missed it last trip, was down. So when the kids were ready, my wife and I quickly finished off the watermelon and we headed to the canal boats. It was more in the hot sun than I think we'd realized (the waiting area was nice and shaded, at least going in the exit as we did) but the kids were interested. I was glad to see our 8yo turn to me with a smile after something that wasn't a roller coaster. (Though to be fair, she'd done the same thing after Peter Pan the day before.)

After that the Matterhorn FPs were about to expire. My wife sent me and our 8yo to ride, rather than trying to rider swap it. I didn't realize how monster-focused it was, and after a bunch of growling noises in the dark I wished I had warned our 8yo about the yeti (which I had thought was minor, like the goat on Big Thunder). Afterwards she said she'd enjoyed it, and would like to do it again, but had kept her eyes closed almost the whole time.

My wife had texted she was taking our 2yo on Buzz, so we waited for them at the exit. (While waiting I used the app and was curious to see that Star Tours FPs were already for late afternoon -- much farther out than SM, RSR, or Guardians. No idea why. A test?) Then we got Buzz FPs for me and my wife, because our 2yo wanted to ride it again, and we figured we could use it for his activity while we rider swapped Space Mountain with our 8yo. (FPs would have expired, but disability return times can be used any time after they mature. You just can't get another until you've used it.) But when we got in to SM, there was a disability waiting area, where they wanted us to stay all together for the rider swap. And it was a long wait. At least it was air conditioned and people got a snack, though it was super loud.

Our 8yo loved the ride. When we got back for the swap, my wife said our 2yo was super tired of being there, and maybe we should cancel. But because my wife and our 8yo are both able-bodied, they were able to go load right away, and I said I would try to take our 2yo somewhere in the stroller.

It worked! I was able to stiff-arm the stroller with my left arm, while steering and accelerating the scooter with my right. I steered our 2yo partway out (still shaded, but quiet enough to talk) and gave him some options. He chose the submarines.

We got there and discovered he had to be out of his stroller before we could enter the separate, accessible queue. But the CM let us wait under her umbrella. And my wife and our 8yo got done pretty quickly and joined us.

When we got on I was seated last, with our 2yo next to me. He was amazed from the outset, pointing out the sea star he could see through his portal. It just got better. He was excitedly talking about what he could see through the whole ride. The kids both wanted to do it again, which unfortunately we didn’t manage. I took the steps very slowly and carefully on the way up, even though I was first and lots of people were behind me, and both the other riders and the CMs were kind and patient with me.

Then we used the bathroom next to Autopia and headed for our Carnation Cafe reservation. (I crossed Autopia off my mental list for this trip, though I had planned on it. It was just too hot to be waiting and driving in the sun.) On the way we met a CM who asked for my email address for a survey. It prompted my wife to say to me, later, that she wanted to write a letter to the Disney people, thanking them for being so good in accommodating me.

I probably made a mistake reserving Carnation Cafe for noon. A little before would have been better. I also requested we sit inside, because I thought outside would be hotter. That combination led to a long wait for a table. But there were benches to sit on, and it was air conditioned. As it turned out, our table was right by the open door to the outdoor seating, but the temperature was okay. My catch of the day was good (though not at the level of my fish the first evening) and my wife's salad was good (though overdressed) and a chef came to talk with us about our experience with the allergy meals in a very friendly way (and gave stickers to the kids).

Unfortunately, our 2yo was melting down. He kept stabbing my wife with his utensils and doing other things he was asked not to do. Then he collapsed onto her. We decided, even though it was the night of our big plans, that our 2yo (and therefore my wife) would probably not return to the parks after lunch. We also decided that Saturday (the next day) would probably be a rest day. My wife and our 2yo left, and our 8yo and I stayed to pay the bill.

Our 8yo really wanted to ride RSR and Guardians, but both FPs distribute pretty far in the future, and then run out. So we decided to get Guardians FPs on our way back to the hotel, for that evening. The problem was, they were distributing for during our dinner reservation, and going fast. So we went to Soarin' and got FPs. By then, Guardians FPs were for a better time, and I worried they'd be for a time when we'd want to be waiting for the parade if we got them after riding Soarin'. So our 8yo waited for me on a shaded bench while I went for Guardians FPs. When I got there, I realized I had to wait a few minutes for our Soarin' FPs to mature, so our 8yo was alone longer than either of us planned. When I got back she confessed she'd been a little worried (I said I had been too) but she said she was fine. Then we rode Soarin' and she loved it and wanted to do it again this trip (unfortunately, something else we didn’t manage). Score another for non-coasters!

Before we got back to the hotel we agreed she would let me sleep for at least the length of a movie, even if she didn't watch the movie. (I don't think I woke up on my own the day before.) She chose Sing. 45 minutes later I was awake, but because of our 2yo. He hadn't napped. my wife finally decided to take him swimming. Our 8yo really wanted to go along, and we said it was fine. I rested, prepped, then went and got her for our time in the parks.

We headed in to Disneyland and came through the tunnel to see them setting up ropes. I realized it was for the Soundsational parade, so we ducked under and got a great view as it went by. Our 8yo loved it, and was particularly glad for Mary Poppins.

Then we headed for Adventureland, where we were happy to see the Moana pressed pennies operating again. We got a set for her, a set for our 2yo, and a couple single pennies for her to give to friends.

Then we checked in at the Blue Bayou, about 15 minutes before our reservation, and asked for a water-side table. The greeter went back and checked, then returned to say it would be 15-30 minutes. We said fine. Our 8yo got bored in the lobby after a few minutes and asked if she could look in the glass shop. When they called us, I went and got her, then a CM took us up the exit ramp for Pirates (so I could stay in the scooter) and opened a set of doors into the side of the restaurant.

There wasn't anything our 8yo wanted on the kids parade viewing menu, so we asked for what she wanted (noodles, fruit, and vegetables) and they were happy to provide. She thought that was cool, and that it would come as three courses was cool, and of course being in the restaurant inside Pirates was cool.

We got out the package of glow sticks and our 8yo started looking at them, breaking some, arranging them, talking with me about them. She tried waving different combinations in different ways, and waving to the people in the boats, and talking with me about that. I realized we were having a really extended conversation, just the two of us, and I couldn't remember the last time that happened. It kept going through the meal (which she loved, including the chocolate mousse, which she had never had before) and it was, to use a Disney word, magical for me. It felt like a kind of time we'd never spent together, and probably a kind that only became possible as she's gotten a bit older.

I'd ordered the salmon and my food was also good (rich and tasty, though I would have liked it even better with a little spice) and they were attentive about being gluten free. One thing we talked about was what to do next. She wanted to use the Guardians FPs, of course, and also wanted to return to Soarin' and Pirates. I said we might only have time for two, and we decided we'd start with Pirates, since we were right there. We did. Our 8yo particularly likes the first, big drop in the dark. (She for some reason thinks it's been added since our last visit, and I see no reason to argue.)

Then we headed for Guardians, with me hoping I remembered the return time correctly. I did, and we had a blast. The unpredictability of the movements, plus the amusing scenes, had me laughing through most of it. She liked everything except that none of the drops were as big as she'd hoped. So she wanted to do it again, and hopefully get a variation with a really big drop. We also got the pressed pennies in the exit gift shop, with her particularly liking the Rocket one that says, "Pet Rodent." She was repeating lines from the Rocket animatronic as we walked along.

It was almost 8pm, so I didn't mention Soarin', and we headed off to the parade viewing. As we checked in, I asked how, with an ECV, I could get to a good location for fireworks viewing after. I was really surprised that the CM didn't have an answer. Our 8yo and I decided to try backing up to the flagpole right after the parade.

We got out more glow sticks and she started playing with them. Then I suggested she might like to give some away, as she had at World of Color a couple years ago. She took our tube of 100 and blanketed both sides of the street near us. By the time she got back it was starting to get dark, and she delighted in seeing the flashes of color from kids playing with them all around. Unfortunately, with her sitting in front of me and me in the scooter, it was hard to hear each other, so our conversation died down.

We both enjoyed the parade. It was amazing to have an unobstructed view from when the floats turned the corner on our right to when they turned the one on our left. Some of the floats came off as old fashioned and charming. But some -- like Pete's Dragon -- were just impressive, no matter if they were decades old or brand new.

After the parade we got to the flagpole as quick as we could. I wanted to stay, but she could tell she was going to be disappointed by the view. Luckily the crowds were relatively light, that far from the action, so I was able to slowly scoot out into the street and make slow progress toward a better view.

And then the fireworks happened. A few minutes in she could tell she wanted them recorded, so I held my phone up at head height for her for the rest of the show, switching off hands. Afterward, we both had huge grins, and started walking out with the crowds. That's when she closed the distance between us, kissed my arm, and said, "I love you, Daddy!"

Day 4: Saturday, July 8th

Took the day off the parks. Got Jamba Juice breakfast on the way to a morning showing of Cars 3. It was an odd movie to see, having just been in Disneyland, where the message is often that "dreams can come true." If you're our 2yo's age, and your dream is to meet Lightning McQueen, Disneyland can do that for you. But as you get older, chances are things haven't turned out as you imagined when you were young -- something I'd found myself thinking about more than once on the trip. And Cars 3 (like the first one, in some ways) is about realizing that letting go of what you initially dream can open the door to something more rewarding.

Went to the Disneyland Hotel to get our 8yo the pressed pennies there while my wife checked on a table at the Rainforest Cafe, because our 8yo had fond memories of eating there on her first trip. Unfortunately, the last hotel machine jammed on the last penny -- and our 8yo had been saving the one she most wanted to get. We couldn't stay for them to try to fix it, because my wife and our 2yo had already been seated for lunch.

When we got to the restaurant, our 8yo cried telling my wife about the penny. We were clearly an exhausted bunch. Then we had our last meal at the RC. The kids didn't like their food and the kitchen screwed up my wife's allergy meal, garnishing it with a big slab of wheat bread. This was after the manager had come out to confirm who at the table had allergies. The wait staff was apologetic, but the manager then came out and tried to say it was not their fault, she thought my wife and I were splitting my meal (then who did she think was eating my wife's meal?) and so on. Such a huge contrast with how well the allergy issues were handled inside the parks.

After that we shopped at World of Disney. Then back to the hotel to drop some things off, pick up our car, and meet up with local friends. We had a nice dinner with them, then went to a city park. Then got to bed on time, for once

Day 5: Sunday, July 9

My wife was concerned that we'd been skipping giving the kids real breakfast. Our 8yo had been eating cinnamon rolls from Panera, which I'd been grabbing with morning coffee. Our 2yo had been eating little. We talked about Mimi's or Denny's, but the Rainforest Cafe had soured us on eating outside the parks, so we decided on Flo's.

I ran off to get Fast Passes for Radiator Springs Racers, then to the themed Starbucks for morning coffee. The coffee line was long, but my wife and the kids pressed pennies and did the Mater ride, so I got there first and claimed a booth by the window.

After breakfast, which was fine but not great, we took our 2yo to the RSR entrance to say we wanted to rider swap. Then I asked him if he wanted to do the Mater ride, Luigi's, or meet someone. He wanted the last of those, and I tried to check the character schedule, but the app didn't list anyone as meeting in Radiator Springs. We went and it was McQueen, who he said he wanted to meet again. We finished as he was almost done and the CM said Cruz was next, and our 2yo wanted to meet her, so we got back in line. Then, after some waiting, the CM at the back said it would be Red, who he said he didn't want to meet. Just then my wife and our 8yo arrived, so I took our 8yo to do the rider swap.

We both enjoyed RSR, but we couldn't find my wife and our 2yo. Finally, rather than stay by the ride, we started looking for them. Over by the character meet we spotted them in the area outside the bathrooms.

I zoomed off for Grizzly FPs but, during the time we'd been trying to reconnect, they'd gone from immediate to delayed. And Guardians FPs were getting close to our World of Color time. So after pulling Grizzly I went to Guardians and waited until I could pull those. (I meant to take a picture of the Animation Academy schedule sign along the way, but I forgot.)

We met at Grizzly and my wife didn't want to rider swap. My wife took our 2yo to Ariel, but it was closed, and then to the Golden Zephyr -- the only ride in that area for which he's tall enough. He loved it and wanted to ride it with the whole family (which unfortunately we didn’t manage). Our 8yo and I also had a good time, though the disabled loading is a slow process on Grizzly. But it's a much more pleasant place to wait than Space Mountain's.

When we were done it was time to meet for lunch. Carthay Circle is pretty and I could tell our 8yo was impressed. She really liked her food. My wife and I thought ours was okay. At first the waitress said they could do anything (on the World of Color menu) except the soba as gluten free, so we both planned to order the seafood fritter. But when she came to take our orders, it turned out she'd forgotten that was on the menu. So I ordered the salmon, which was well cooked but served with super bland things. My wife ordered the tri tip, which seemed to her about like what she'd had at Ariel's on an earlier trip. No adult desserts were gluten free, so we were offered unexceptional sorbet (not even garnished with fruit). Then, when the bill came, they had charged us $14 extra each for it. Overall, I'm not left with excitement to return.

My wife and our 2yo headed for the hotel while our 8yo and I went to World of Disney. I exchanged the Buzz Lightyear we bought our 2yo the day before (when we got it out of the box, one of the wing lights didn't work -- a lesson about when to try out things bought at Disneyland) and got a mug for myself. Our 8yo was contemplating buying her third set of four Tsum Tsums. She decided to do it, with three of them being Cars ones as a birthday present for our 2yo.

We got back and agreed she'd let me sleep for the length of a movie. She settled down with Rise of the Guardians, and happily I woke just before it ended. We went up to the pool and she swam for 45 minutes. She tried to talk with a number of kids until she found a friendly one, just as she'd found a friendly pair a couple days before. When we went back to the room, our 2yo had just woken. So we slowly got ready and headed back to the parks.

We headed to Smokejumpers Grill, hoping for a snacky dinner that included gluten-free fries and some shakes. The first part worked, but the shake machine was down. Our 8yo really wanted to ride Soarin' again, so we grabbed FPs after dinner, in case there was time for her and a parent to run over after we got settled for World of Color.

We rode Little Mermaid, which had been down when our 2yo and my wife tried to ride earlier. Then we headed quickly for Guardians to start the rider swap. My wife and our 8yo went first and I took our 2yo to the water feature the kids had liked so much -- this time, we were prepared with a change of clothes for each of them. Our 2yo was serious about getting wet. He found a place he expected water to jet out and leaned his face over it. When it didn't appear quickly, he ran around chasing the water -- with it often spouting up, then finishing just as he arrived. I decided to take the harness off, because he didn't show any sign of going anywhere. It was great watching him enjoy it so much. On the other hand, it was already 8:00, the time before which I'd wanted to check in at World of Color, to make sure the kids had a clear view.

My wife and our 8yo arrived, with our 8yo happy and excited. We headed for the ride, getting the Funkadelic song. When we got back to Bug’s Land my wife had already changed our 2yo into dry clothes and they were riding the pill bug bumper cars. Our 2yo had a lot of fun driving, mostly in circles.

When they were done we raced to World of Color. It was already after 8:30, and it was a slow-moving herd when we got there. At the Carthay Circle sign they saw my ECV and sent us down to Yellow for the ramp. Our 8yo was getting nervous that we'd miss the start of the show. At Yellow we had to wait for the two CMs to stop the regular flow and direct us to the ramp. We followed the ramp until we met a CM next to a big, mostly empty, handicapped section who told us, "You're not supposed to be here." She tried to direct us back out. We explained how we'd been told to head there. She went off to talk with someone and the announcement came over the speakers that the show would start in 15 minutes. We reassured our 8yo.

The CM came back and let us into the section, but I think she still thought we were in the wrong place. The good news is that there was a bench I could transfer onto and a lamppost my wife and the kids could stand next to for an unobstructed view. We got out the rest of the glow sticks, with our 2yo excited by breaking them, seeing their new color, and trying to name it. Our 8yo went off into the crowd to give glow sticks to nearby kids. I opened some salty snacks from our bag, which we munched for a few minutes -- and then the show started.

Amazingly, our 2yo decided, a little into the show, that where he wanted to be was daddy's lap. So I got to feel his excitement and hear him exclaim "Whales!" during the part from Fantasia 2000, and "Fire!" during the Pirates section (and, more prosaically, say "I have him" when Buzz appeared, and "We watched that at home" for The Princess and the Frog and others). It was windy and he also asked, repeatedly, "Why it raining?" I explained it was a water show. In the end, I felt like I got a special evening show with each of my kids, which I could never have planned.

Rather than head straight back, we went to Luigi's as a family. Our 8yo had hoped a parent would take her to Soarin', so she was a little put out. I was grumpy with a family I thought was cutting in front of us, I think in part because I'd thought a family was trying to do that at our first World of Color line. But I realized the grumpiness was keeping me from enjoying the moment. Luigi's was pretty at night and we were all smiles when we got off.

Our 2yo had asked for watermelon from Filmore's on our way in to Cars Land. Unfortunately, they were closing on our way out. But they suggested Mortimer's, at the park entrance, and we had success there. Our 2yo munched his snack on the way back, while our 8yo saved hers for the hotel room.

Day 6: Monday, July 10th

We packed the room, bathed the kids, and loaded the car before going to the parks. We'd talked about going for a bit first -- but since things took longer than we'd expected, it's probably good we didn't try to make that timing work.

That said, the result of our timing was, by the time we arrived, it was almost too hot and crowded for us to enjoy being there. Especially with us being tired at the end of the trip. But we tried.

At the hotel we'd told our 8yo we'd do Star Tours and one other ride she could choose in the area. I thought she'd choose Matterhorn or Space Mountain, and she chose Space. Our 8yo and I got Star Tours FPs, while my wife got one for Buzz. Then we went to Alice, got a disability return time, and then got frozen drinks for our melting kids. We drank them on the old boat dock, where Alice and the Mad Hatter were having a lively time at the table of another family, and both a duck and a night heron came to visit. Our 2yo pulled the top off his drink while my wife was in the bathroom and I was moving his stroller closer to the heron (at his request) dumping it all in his stroller. Then we went back to Alice and it was down.

My wife took our 2yo and our 8yo to the bathroom and on the Teacups (a kind of ride that often makes her feel sick, but she came out okay, staring at our 2yo the whole time) while I got Space Mountain FPs before they got to be later than we planned to stay. Then we tried again for Alice, which was down still/again, but it came back up as we were walking away.

There was a lot of build up for this ride. We'd promised it to our 8yo an earlier trip, but never made it work. And tried multiple times this trip. And we'd been at Disneyland for more than an hour without riding anything. And we all came out with big smiles on our faces. It's source material we all like, and the combination of movement, classic animatronics, and new screens is really well done.

When we got out we had to hurry to the Buzz FP before it expired. Our 8yo and I headed to Star Tours where the CM instructed me to park my scooter outside, go through a door, and walk down a hallway to the next CM. I asked how long the hallway was and he said, "About five feet." Well, there was a short hallway, but no CM, just a sign leading to more hallway, an elevator, and then a loading area that at least had something I could lean against while waiting. But this is another ride where people who have challenges walking and/or standing should not follow instructions. That said, our 8yo loved it.

The other family members were on Buzz again when we were done but, in the meantime, my wife had discovered something in the exit gift shop: a small Zurg. For the past couple days our 2yo had been engaging us in a ritual conversation. He would ask, of Buzz, "Who his daddy?" When we would say, "Zurg" he would reply, "Can we get him?" But the Zurg figures we'd seen were big statues, with no movable limbs and big guns. Talking about it later, we decided to get our 2yo one of the small ones to give him on the car ride home, just as we'd given our 8yo a special thing she'd been requesting when we got in the car at the end of her first trip.

The app said It's a Small World had a short line, so we headed there. Our 2yo loved pointing things out to us and having them pointed out to him. We all enjoyed the UNICEF vibe and air conditioning.

Looking on the app for local food, as we got off, I saw that Magical Map was about to start, and suggested we go. I'm glad I did, because, even in the heat, our 8yo later said it was one of her favorite things of the trip.

Afterward, we didn't want to eat at Troubadour (too hot for that food) so ended up in ToonTown, where we got kids packs, fruit salad, and generously sized frozen yoghurt. I also snagged the only unoccupied, shaded table. We later discovered, amazingly, that the bathrooms in ToonTown, the place in DL most aimed at little kids, have only a single changing table and no appropriate counters -- so you wait in line to change diapers. This needs to be fixed.

We made a new plan at this point. We had really wanted our 2yo to experience Tom Sawyer's Island on this trip, but it was clearly too hot. This is something I wish I could talk with Disney about. Tom Sawyer's closes just at the part of the day when it starts to cool off. I'm sure it needs to be closed for some time before Fantasmic, but couldn't it be open later on hot summer days when sunset (and for that reason the show) will be late?

Anyway, back to our day. We decided our 8yo and I would do her final shopping and ride Space Mountain, we would all meet for a Tiki Room show, and then our 8yo and my wife would ride Big Thunder (which we'd promised earlier in the trip) if it was running. According to the app, it had been down a lot of the day.

My wife and our 2yo got in line to meet Pluto in ToonTown (I was really caught off guard, this trip, by how much our 2yo wanted to meet characters) and our 8yo and I started on our plan. She wanted one more Tsum Tsum in ToonTown and pins of the Dory characters and the dog from Up that she'd seen in Tomorrowland. I bought the small Zurg for our 2yo.

She loved Space, again, and commented that she'd forgotten what it was like. She hadn't liked it much on her first trip and hadn't tried it on the second.

We found our 2yo and my wife in the shade across from the Tiki Room. He was falling asleep in his stroller. But we got him out and headed into the waiting area. When it was time to go in, I was behind a person in a wheelchair who couldn't make the lift work. She gave up and parked as they were about to close the doors, so I did too. It was only a few stairs, followed by a place to sit, so not too bad.

We enjoyed the show and sang along. It's one of the few parts of Disneyland I really remember from being a kid. We were seated back and a bit to the side, which was perfect -- especially when the people in front spilled a Dole Whip and cleared the space in front of the kids.

Unfortunately, getting to my scooter after the show was much harder. It was a slow walk behind the woman heading to her wheelchair and then a slow walk through the crowd to where my scooter had been moved. Again, not something I'd recommend to those with walking/standing challenges, but not sure what I should have done differently.

I couldn't get the app to tell me the status of Big Thunder, even after a restart, so we headed that direction, walking through the Frontierland store for air conditioning (and discovering pressed pennies our 8yo had, but we got for our 2yo). Then the app said Big Thunder was down and we started toward the end of our trip.

My wife had seen a pair of nicer Tinkerbell earrings in Critter Country that she wanted to buy. But she suspected she could also get them on Main St, and she was right. And because we got a car present for our 2yo, we got our 8yo a "baby" Lady (from Lady and the Tramp) stuffed animal that she'd been eyeing. Then we took our 8yo to the magic shop, but it looked small and low quality -- the one at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, for example, looks much nicer. So finally my wife went to get our 2yo some pressed pennies at the Opera House, which our 8yo mostly had already, and our 8yo and I went to find the machine of MSEP pennies that Park Pennies list as being in the Penny Arcade. We couldn't find them, and CMs sent us different directions, and we knew my wife wanted to get going due to building traffic, but finally we found the machine in the Candy Palace (which seemed to host all of the handful of machines left from the old penny arcade near its entrance). Our 8yo really liked the look of the pennies, I think especially because we'd had such a great time at the parade, and we started getting out our money. Then I noticed a red "out of order" band across the place where you insert the money.

We hurried back to my wife and our 2yo. Our 8yo shed a few tears telling my wife about the nice pennies we couldn't get. We headed out the turnstiles to Lost and Found, where we had the same experience as last trip -- a very slow moving Lost and Found line, served by a single window, while multiple Group Sales windows are open next to it, serving no one. Despite the helpful CM we talked to (who unfortunately couldn't find the hat of our 8yo's we'd lost) it ended the trip on a feeling of Disney skimping on service.

Then we returned to the hotel, broke down the TravelScoot (not a hitch), loaded it and the stroller into the car, and started trundling our way through the traffic. When I got in the car I saw that my wife had already given them their car presents, and I heard for the first time, but far from the last, "I want a big Zurg." Yes, rather than making him happy, the Zurg upset him repeatedly for the whole part of the drive to Santa Barbara for which he was awake. Our 8yo, on the other hand, loved her Lady -- and it even supplanted the Tsum Tsums for snuggling the next couple days.

We talked lots more about the trip over the days that followed. Our 2yo keeps asking if we can go back to Radiator Springs. I don't think we can afford to do it for a couple years, but I would love to find a way.

One final coda: I wrote to a collector of pressed pennies, asking if he knew anyone who might be willing to trade some pennies I could get near where we live for a set of the MSEP pennies our 8yo wanted so much. He said he'd be happy to. The pennies arrived this last week, which has been a tough one -- my mom was unexpectedly hospitalized. My daughter, who had been weighed down by worry about her grandma, saw the pennies and lit up. It was like the joy of the trip was stored inside her, just waiting to open back up. Seeing her beaming face, I felt the same way for a moment. And it was then I realized how happy I was that we'd made the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!