Trip length?

I must admit, it is closer to Hanauma Bay and Diamond Head from Waikiki than it is from Aulani and you definitely dont want to be in that morning traffic along the highway from Ko Olina/Kapolei so from a touring perspective for you it is probably better to stay in Waikiki for those few days.

I think the Outrigger Waikiki Beach is seriously one of the best choices for a first time Waikiki visit, mostly because of the location. It is central to everything, sits right on the beach and has more of a holiday feel than some of the properties that are a block back from the strip.

THanks! you are the second person to recommend Outrigger. I was pretty set on Royal Hawiian but the price diff is decently steep enough to make me take a second look. I know there is another one close by with a similar name but the word REEF in the title. Beween these to Outriggers and Royal Hawaian - is one so superior it is worth the difference? confused on difference between the two outriggers...Thanks!

THanks! you are the second person to recommend Outrigger. I was pretty set on Royal Hawiian but the price diff is decently steep enough to make me take a second look. I know there is another one close by with a similar name but the word REEF in the title. Beween these to Outriggers and Royal Hawaian - is one so superior it is worth the difference? confused on difference between the two outriggers...Thanks!

LOL, I know it is a little confusing with the two Outriggers.

The "Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort" is the one I was referring to as far as it having a fantastic location. The other Outrigger is the "Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort" and it is not the one you want. It is ok, but it is located in little further west from the main area, and is kind of packed into the area by the Sheraton Waikiki. From the beach side, it is pretty rocky right where the Outrigger Reef WBR is situated. Again, it is not a bad choice, especially if you are looking to save a little and still want to be oceanfront but the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort is the better of the two.

LOL, I know it is a little confusing with the two Outriggers.

The "Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort" is the one I was referring to as far as it having a fantastic location. The other Outrigger is the "Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort" and it is not the one you want. It is ok, but it is located in little further west from the main area, and is kind of packed into the area by the Sheraton Waikiki. From the beach side, it is pretty rocky right where the Outrigger Reef WBR is situated. Again, it is not a bad choice, especially if you are looking to save a little and still want to be oceanfront but the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort is the better of the two.

Thanks! Do you think Royal Hawiian is much more superior and worth the cost than Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort ?

The Royal Hawaiian is gorgeous but for the price I would probably go with the Outrigger simply because I find we are always out and about in Hawaii and the hotel really just becomes a place to sleep. That is my family though. The Royal Hawaiian feels more like a resort than the Outrigger. Have you considered the Sheraton at all? I would look at it too, as well as the Hyatt Regency

The Royal Hawaiian is gorgeous but for the price I would probably go with the Outrigger simply because I find we are always out and about in Hawaii and the hotel really just becomes a place to sleep. That is my family though. The Royal Hawaiian feels more like a resort than the Outrigger. Have you considered the Sheraton at all? I would look at it too, as well as the Hyatt Regency

THanks! I am planning on 4 nights in Waikiki and 4 or 5 nights at Aulani. So thinking maybe a less expensive resort in Waikiki and splurge on Aulani. So to your points my Waikiki days are jam packed with many activities so we wont' be in the hotel THAT long. I started out a the Prince but really did want to be ON the beach and either RH or Outrigger fits the bill....Thank you so much for the suggestion!

We originally were going to do the Hilton Hawaiian Village but then after thinking about it we didn't want a busy resort for Waikiki. That's why we chose the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. It has 3 food places on site, an ABC store across the street (plus others in every direction within a 5 minute walk), your right next to the mall with shopping and other food places. The front of the hotel is busy city with everything you need. Then back of the hotel is relaxing beach life. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room but that's what Aulani was going to be used for. We did walk down to the Outrigger Reef once for our snorkeling trip and we were glad we did not choose that one. People suggested it was nicer but it would have been away from most things we were doing. The Royal Hawaiian looks wonderful and if you'll spend time in the room go for it but we decided against that one so we could take some of that cost to enjoy the island and we are glad we did.

Last year we did 5 days at Aulani with only one day all day of off site touring (Pearl Harbor, Wakiki and dolphin swimming). We only rented a car for the one day.. I know most would say this is crazy but we didn't have DVC so parking cost was a concern.
I would vote for 7 days based on my previous experience.. that being said we are doing 6 days next time.. just how the cheaper flights worked out... we are using a friends DVC points and will likely have a car but that will just make me wish I stayed even longer I am sure if I miss some of my resort time doing more off site activities.

We originally were going to do the Hilton Hawaiian Village but then after thinking about it we didn't want a busy resort for Waikiki. That's why we chose the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. It has 3 food places on site, an ABC store across the street (plus others in every direction within a 5 minute walk), your right next to the mall with shopping and other food places. The front of the hotel is busy city with everything you need. Then back of the hotel is relaxing beach life. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room but that's what Aulani was going to be used for. We did walk down to the Outrigger Reef once for our snorkeling trip and we were glad we did not choose that one. People suggested it was nicer but it would have been away from most things we were doing. The Royal Hawaiian looks wonderful and if you'll spend time in the room go for it but we decided against that one so we could take some of that cost to enjoy the island and we are glad we did.

THis is exactly what I am thinking of doing as well. Torn between just staying put at Auluni or doing the Outrigger Beach for 4 nights and Aulani for 4 nights...In hindsight, do you wish you stayed put for 8 nights - did you feel the Outrigger was a good location for doing the activities? I want do to Pearl harbor things, bishop museum, diamond head etc. so was thinking I was better located here in Outigger to do that v. driving from Aulani..thanks!

THis is exactly what I am thinking of doing as well. Torn between just staying put at Auluni or doing the Outrigger Beach for 4 nights and Aulani for 4 nights...In hindsight, do you wish you stayed put for 8 nights - did you feel the Outrigger was a good location for doing the activities? I want do to Pearl harbor things, bishop museum, diamond head etc. so was thinking I was better located here in Outigger to do that v. driving from Aulani..thanks!

We were fine with moving - didn't feel like it was a pain or anything. Also, we had no lapse of hotel room either as we left when checkout occurred around 11 and then when we arrived to Aulani our room was already available (which we've never waited for a room at a Disney resort ever). However we probably would have stayed 1 night extra at Outrigger and 1 less at Aulani. The Outrigger Beach hotel was a great location. We walked to the aquarium, could catch a short/cheap Lyft to most places, or get on a Trolley. We enjoyed the beach at Outrigger and could people watch, do surf lessons right there, do the canoes etc. If your at Aulani the whole time then unless you have a rental car, which we did only for 2 days, then your practically an hour away from almost anything worth doing. Also, Aulani's Lagoon took away the beach experience for us so we liked having the Beach in Waikiki for the first few days.

We went to Oahu when my son was small and we spent a day at the zoo and the aquarium and another at Sea Life Park.

We were fine with moving - didn't feel like it was a pain or anything. Also, we had no lapse of hotel room either as we left when checkout occurred around 11 and then when we arrived to Aulani our room was already available (which we've never waited for a room at a Disney resort ever). However we probably would have stayed 1 night extra at Outrigger and 1 less at Aulani. The Outrigger Beach hotel was a great location. We walked to the aquarium, could catch a short/cheap Lyft to most places, or get on a Trolley. We enjoyed the beach at Outrigger and could people watch, do surf lessons right there, do the canoes etc. If your at Aulani the whole time then unless you have a rental car, which we did only for 2 days, then your practically an hour away from almost anything worth doing. Also, Aulani's Lagoon took away the beach experience for us so we liked having the Beach in Waikiki for the first few days.

Thanks for this! I was reviewing all our options last night with DH who loves Disney like I do but was underwhelmed with Aulani. Maybe b/c we have no smaller children? Didn't appeal to him he felt like he was at the Poly. starting over as I was ready to rent my points today!! Thanks for pointing out the lagoon. I took a look at the beach and I think that is what did him in no waves etc. Definitely thinking of spending 5 nights in Waikiki now and he will do 2 Aulani.....

Thanks for this! I was reviewing all our options last night with DH who loves Disney like I do but was underwhelmed with Aulani. Maybe b/c we have no smaller children? Didn't appeal to him he felt like he was at the Poly. starting over as I was ready to rent my points today!! Thanks for pointing out the lagoon. I took a look at the beach and I think that is what did him in no waves etc. Definitely thinking of spending 5 nights in Waikiki now and he will do 2 Aulani.....

I totally agree with the lagoon beach at Aulani being underwhelming. Those lagoons at Ko Olina are basically man made holes and there are so many stunning natural beaches on Oahu that it would be such a shame to come to Oahu and just experience the Aulani beach.

The other point I wanted to make to you @scottmel is that the North Shore, Kualoa Ranch and the East side beaches is actually quite accessible from Aulani. Imo, probably less traffic to fight from Aulani than from Waikiki so if you are planning any excursions to these areas, maybe consider doing them from the starting point of Aulani. You get highway bunch up from Aulani to the highway you take north but it is nothing compared to the traffic going into and coming out of Waikiki

I totally agree with the lagoon beach at Aulani being underwhelming. Those lagoons at Ko Olina are basically man made holes and there are so many stunning natural beaches on Oahu that it would be such a shame to come to Oahu and just experience the Aulani beach.

The other point I wanted to make to you @scottmel is that the North Shore, Kualoa Ranch and the East side beaches is actually quite accessible from Aulani. Imo, probably less traffic to fight from Aulani than from Waikiki so if you are planning any excursions to these areas, maybe consider doing them from the starting point of Aulani. You get highway bunch up from Aulani to the highway you take north but it is nothing compared to the traffic going into and coming out of Waikiki

Thanks. I booked RH with concierge level interestingly enough for only 132.00 more a day than Outrigger. Go figure! The guy was super helpful trying all kinds of codes. Hard to say no to oceanfront at RH. Will transfer to Aulani for 2 nights but did plan on staying put those 2 days. I will be on East Coast time so being ready to go out the door by 6 am on an given day will not be a problem. I am hoping this helps with traffic. My main destinations are Diamond Head, Ranch, Pearl Harbor etc - being ready to go out the door that early I am ASSUMING helps with the traffic or am I still dilussional?

being ready to go out the door that early I am ASSUMING helps with the traffic or am I still dilussional?

Being up early really does help with the traffic. The worst one is Hanauma Bay (which isnt on your list) because once the parking lot is full in the morning they turn people away until much later in the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!