Trip insurance question

SCDVC2000

Earning My Ears
Hi all, we have a cruise coming up this summer, 2 adults and our six children. We purchased insurance. I have an intermittent health issue and I wonder, if I have a flareup, what do they consider sufficient to give our money back for the cruise? Is it like ICU level illness or would a note from my doctor saying he doesn’t recommend travel be sufficient? Thank you all!

If your insurance covers pre-existing conditions, then a statement from your doctor saying he advises you not to travel should be sufficient. Ten years ago, I had a health event (not pre-existing) that put me in the hospital for two weeks 3 months before a cruise. My doctor advised me a month and a half later not to travel, so I cancelled the cruise and filed for an insurance benefit. The insurance company just asked for a statement from the doctor about my condition and her recommendation against travel, not any documentation from the earlier hospital stay. The insurance company refunded the full fare for me, my husband, and our children minus the refund amount we received from DCL, which at that point was 25% of the fare.

However, it is possible that different companies have different rules (this was not the company that DCL currently uses).

It depends on the specific insurance you purchased and the level of coverage. Also note that the evidence required will vary by the policy (per the company's standard) and as determined by your location. Sometimes you need a simple doctor's note saying in their professional opinion you're unfit to travel, sometimes they will require more. (Liberal states generally have consumer protections that prevent the insurance companies from requesting more than just a note. Conservative states tend to be, well, more business friendly - although your policy rate will be lower because of.) Best bet is to contact the insurance company and inquire. Note that most policies will not cover preexisting conditions.

Sounds like what you have is considered a preexisting condition which many insurance companies don't cover. You might need a cancel or any reason policy. Read your policy very carefully because there could be a time period from when the last issue occurred for a current issue to qualify.

As stated above, check your policy to see what it covers.
-- cruise only or other travel costs/losses (for just you or your whole party?)
-- medical care in non-US area
-- medical evacuation if something really bad happen
-- pre-existing conditions

You have to weigh what you could pay for or afford to lose with no insurance versus the cost of the insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter