Travel insurance question

aussietravellers

who LOVE disney holidays!
Has anybody had a pre existing medical condition that has not been approved (or was denied) for overseas travel insurance and travelled anyway with that condition not covered? Have you taken the risk and travelled with that condition not covered by insurance?

I travelled with my father who had the most extreme medical conditions you could imagine and he wasn't denied. We had to fill in 850 forms and undergo some exams and get doctors certificates but they still approved him in the end. Albeit with a "loading" on the premium which wasn't that much all things considered.

Have you been denied?

I travelled with my father who had the most extreme medical conditions you could imagine and he wasn't denied. We had to fill in 850 forms and undergo some exams and get doctors certificates but they still approved him in the end. Albeit with a "loading" on the premium which wasn't that much all things considered.

Have you been denied?

Yes :headache: Not the entire travel insurance coverage, just my vertebral artery dissection and the denied portion also includes stroke, any and all forms of heamorrage, so if I got a DVT, not covered.

I have asked them to reconsider as the dissection does appear to have healed, but I do not hold much hope, as it only happened in the last 6 months it's unlikely. Hopefully they will come back with a yes we will cover you and just increase my premium.

I just have to weigh up the risk and with medical expenses in the US being so expensive, if I had a stroke or got a DVT or something then I could be up for what $50,000 or even more in medical costs :eek: I mean I will travel and be completely fine but it's just a bit risky if something does happen and I'm not covered. I'd be covered for everything else, accidents etc, just not anything related to blood flow, clots etc. I did say why all blood problems, like DVT, that has absolutely no relation to a tear in my neck artery.

I just don't know if we can go if I'm not insured, it's too risky with the medical costs should something happen. Just don't know what we will end up doing. I'm so upset :sad1:

Yes I would be shopping around lve, no way would I go to the states without being covered. You will get insurance you might just have to shop around and it might cost you. But hey it would have to be cheaper than if you ended up in hospital over there. We went through covermore at flight center, maybe try them?

My husband has a pre existing condition and we went with the company called Cover More. We had to pay an extra $100 but this is nothing for sound of mind.

Thanks everyone.

I do have some good news afterall

I had tried a few, including covermore, but as it was declined by one, then it will be declined by all and many wouldn't even look at it because it is a condition concerning arteries, it's considered too high risk and they will not go near it. Even though it has healed but it is recent!

I am still hoping to hear back from the original one I applied with, they are reviewing the denial after I faxed off some additional information, so hopefully they will return with a change of heart (and a higher premium probably but that is fine).

Anyway the good news is, that as we booked and paid for 50% of the trip from December to April of this year with our visa, this was before the condition happened, then they will cover the pre existing condition as it was not existing when more than 50% of the trip was paid :thumbsup2:cool1:

So the trip is still on :cool1: Was a little depressed last night thinking it would have to be put off until December or even April or September next year (as soon as enough time had passed for it to nolonger be a pre existing condition).

Oh my gosh, I am so glad for you. I was a little worried for you I must admit! Glad to hear it all turned out in the end. Now relax have a cup of tea and think of the magic you are going to enjoy in what 4wks and 1 day!. xx

Oh my gosh, I am so glad for you. I was a little worried for you I must admit! Glad to hear it all turned out in the end. Now relax have a cup of tea and think of the magic you are going to enjoy in what 4wks and 1 day!. xx

Thank you :flower3:

I was almost crying this morning I was so relieved, then I have been skipping around all excited. I just didn't think about insurance and not getting it (well we got it, but just not for anything blood or artery related for me).
It's been such a rollercoaster planning this trip. First it was planned and booked, then tear the artery and am pretty sure the trip will be off if it doesn't heal well and fast, then it has so trip is back on, all excited and back to planning, then 3 weeks out another hickup and it may be off again. So now it's on and no more drama before we go!:rotfl2:

We leave in three weeks today :yay: Actually this time in three weeks we will be taking off :woohoo: We are off to NY for a week before WDW.

Oh it is such a relief. My DS is going to be so excited when I pick him up from school this afternoon because we had to tell him last night what was happening and that we may have to put the trip off until the condition is nolonger classed as pre existing. :cheer2:

That is the BEST news! I'm so happy for you! Yes, your DS is going to be thrilled when you pick him up today!!!

Thanks everyone.

I do have some good news afterall

I had tried a few, including covermore, but as it was declined by one, then it will be declined by all and many wouldn't even look at it because it is a condition concerning arteries, it's considered too high risk and they will not go near it. Even though it has healed but it is recent!

I am still hoping to hear back from the original one I applied with, they are reviewing the denial after I faxed off some additional information, so hopefully they will return with a change of heart (and a higher premium probably but that is fine).

Anyway the good news is, that as we booked and paid for 50% of the trip from December to April of this year with our visa, this was before the condition happened, then they will cover the pre existing condition as it was not existing when more than 50% of the trip was paid :thumbsup2:cool1:

So the trip is still on :cool1: Was a little depressed last night thinking it would have to be put off until December or even April or September next year (as soon as enough time had passed for it to nolonger be a pre existing condition).

I'm so glad that it's all worked out for you :banana:

I was going to ask if you bought the policy before or after the diagnosis as we had the same situation. I booked and paid for our flights in November last year and on the advice of some wonderful Aussie Diser in the Aussie Planning thread, I bought an insurance policy the same day. I don't remember who posted that piece of advice but I'll be eternally grateful because in January my 8 year old was diagnosed with diabetes :(. I advised the insurance company thinking it was pre-existing and they denied coverage. I went through several different companies and was told no over and over. I was so upset and terrified of either a) travelling without coverage or b) cancelling the trip. I phoned the insurance company's underwriter to ask them to reconsider and in the course of the conversation, I was told that seeming as the policy was purchased before the diagnosis that it was not considered a pre-existing condition and would be fully covered! I was so relieved :).

I'm so happy that it's worked out for you too :).

Pre-existing is only before you pay, not before you leave.

I was about to ask if you paid for everything before you were diagnosed, though good to know you only have to pay for 50%.
Lots of credit cards have automatic travel insurance if you pay for your tickets with the credit card.

WOuld be scary going to US without travel insurance, but you've got it!!! :banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter