Travel from the Maritimes

Tinkertoo

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!

I'm hoping there are some Maritimers out there that can help me with some transportation issues.

We are planning a 2 week vacation starting with a Disney Cruise on March 13th, 2004. Do you think there is still a chance to get a seat sale out of Moncton or Halifax? As well has any one made the drive down and can offer any advice......the airfare is terrible right now.

Thanks for your help!!
Tinkertoo

Can't help you with airfare...we check every time we go down, but never seem to find any seat sales. I can help you with driving though. We have 2 kids (5 and 8), and have driven down 3 times in the past 3 years. We leave HFX early (4:00 am) and get to Boston around supper. Second day is long-14 hours-and drive to Rocky Mount, NC. Third day is about 10 hours or so to Orlando. We book all our hotels using Priceline and have never had a problem. There are good websites out there that can help with rest stop locations, restaurants, gas and different hotels at each exit. I also noticed a book the other day, I think it is called, "driving I-95" and it seemed very good for the same type of information. I'd be happy to answer any driving questions you have.

Check Travelocity EACH day...We got $310 return from Halifax...Moncton is always more expensive...Go figure since I live in Shediac...:mad:

to the DIS!

We've thought about driving, until we found the 310price too!:D Still hurts that by the time you put taxes on it - $2000yech.

We checked travelocity every day...expedia...canjet...continental...UA...you name it - I'm a registered visitor!:D

We drove I-95 once, and have since found that heading a little further inland gets rid of the 12 lanes of traffic, and the eighteen wheelers...all four lane...takes a little longer, but, for us, worth it.

NOT SURE WHAT PART OF THE MARITIMES YOU ARE IN BUT I GOT AN EMAIL FROM MY TRAVEL AGENT SAYING THAT BANGOR TO ORLANDO WAS $254 RETURN CAN FUNDS. I'M IN SAINT JOHN SO BANGOR IS NOT THAT FAR OF A DRIVE & ITS MORE THAN THE HALF OFF

Thank you so much for all or your help!

Do you know what airline it was flying from Bangor to Orlando? I live in Moncton so that would definately work!!

Thanks again!
Tinkertoo

SORRY, NOT SURE WHAT AIRLINE IT WAS..EITHER DELTA OR AMERICAN AIRLINES. YOU CAN ALSO TRY THE SEARS WEB SITE WWW.SEARSTRAVEL.COM & THEY WILL QUOTE YOU IN CANADIAN FUNDS. WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT, I'LL CHECK MY EMAIL TO SEE IF IT TELLS ME WHAT AIRLINE. THE TRAVEL AGENT I DEAL WITH IS UNIGLOBE RIVER VALLEY TRAVEL HERE IN SAINT JOHN 506-633-7710 OR YOU CAN EMAIL THEM AT KIM@UNIGLOBERIVERVALLEY.COM. JUST TELL KIM YOUR DATES & I'M SURE SHE CAN HELP YOU OUT.

SURE HOPE THIS HELPS

And I expect you'll save some $$. The extra hour you spend driving to Bangor rather than Halifax will save you an hour in the air, give you a nicer layover airport (Cincinatti vs Newark) and save you maybe us$70. Also, there ore LOTS of flight options out of Bangor vs one or two in Halifax.::yes::

Hey Bea ... have thought about driving from Halifax too. Do you mind my asking, what kind of price was the gas for the trip there and back.

Trying to decide if driving is feasible. It would be two adults no children. I was thinking of going in the Fall but this would be irrelavent to what the gas would cost.

Not sure if when you add gas and hotel stays along the way, if it is worth the drive.

Also, how much time did you take for the trip, two weeks, three weeks? I was thinking 3 weeks since you lose so many days in travel.

Thanks...

I do keep a record of gas, food, lodging etc..but can't find it right now. So, I will try to remember. We used priceline for hotels (Boston 3* Raddison for $45.00us and Rocky Mount 2* for 30.00). There are so many rest stopped with picnic tables etc that we brought a plug in cooler and did all snacks and breakfasts (juice, milk and those mini cereal containers) and lunches there. WE always ate supper out. All in all, food was probably around $70.00 US. We have 2 kids though so that may be more that what you would pay. I do remember what we paid for gas. I started the ticker at the US border. We paid $100.00 US one way for gas. We drive a Saturn stationwagon. All in all, we paid b/w $650.00-750.00 CDN for our drive there and back. Remember too, that if you drive, you don't have to worry about paying for a rental car (or the cost to park your car at the airport if you flew).

We stay for 2 weeks. I have always done priceline for the hotel in Orlando and that helps with costs as well.

We really enjoy driving. Check this website out for info on ammenities at each exit. http://www.usastar.com/i95/annivsry.htm

Good luck.

We would budget $1000 CDN for the drive 2 adults 2 kids...3 days driving would do it, and not having kids in the back seat would make it a "quicker" trip...excessive bathroom breaks!:D All those 10 minutes really start to add up!

JMO, but if you can get a seat sale, and don't think you'll need a rental car, I'd fly. Less stress, less tired, and save the extra week of vacation that you would have spent driving:D

... I think I would enjoy the drive too Bea. No children so no stress that way (at least that would be stress for me) and both adults drive so there wouldn't be pressure on one person to do all the driving. We would consider the drive to be a trip within a trip especially being the first road trip through most of the states that you have to pass through.

One more question, when you say you go for two weeks does that include the drive? or do you actually ensure you have two full weeks in Orlando and add on the days for driving?

We are thinking of taking three weeks to make the trip but wonder what others do when they drive and how they find the time ... is it enough, too much, or just right?

Thinking of making the trip in the fall next year although spring would be nice too. Fall would be a little quieter at Disney though being somewhat off season (if you can call any time of year off season anymore :-)

Thanks again ...

we like to spoil ourselves in the parks, and not have to be park "commandos". If I could swing three weeks in Florida, and extra time driving, we would!!

Who am I kidding....we're scoping out retirement communities now!!

(DH turns 35 next month:D ... I, however, ....am forever young!:eek: )

My parents drive, and usually take about a week one way. They like to try new roads, and sightsee along the way. In the early fall, they really enjoy the trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Enjoy!

:) This December we will head for WDW for the umpteenth time, by car (with two great louts of kids with us!). We've been driving to WDW every second year since before we had kids, and the drive is a part of the vacation for us.

This vacation will be a full three weeks (16 days in Florida, plus the drive) but we've been happy with just 8 days in Florida plus the drive. ...whatever our schedule and budget can afford.

Commando style is how we usually approach the drive - takes us only 2 1/2 long days. This December we're going to slow down just a bit and figure on 3 days - Maritimes to Auburn or Springfield Mass. on day 1, to Rocky Mount or Florence on day 2, then to Orlando on the third day for our check in at WDW.

Since our vacation also always includes a condo stay on one or the other coasts, we need a car - and the cost of driving to Florida, even with the costs of a total of 4 hotel nights plus meals and gas, is far less than airfare for 4 from Maritimes in December, plus a rental car.:sunny:

You are driving there in December !! Aren't you afraid of bad roads. December sounds like a great time to go down if it weren't for the risk of a storm. Is this the typical time you go down?

I agree about cost, when you total airfare and car cost, driving has to be cheaper (and with a little more leg room). I might be crazy, but I actually get excited thinking about the drive too. I think it will be an experience in itself. I might not be so excited after the first trip :-)

In actual fact, we've hit only one snowstorm. However, the possibility of a storm is why we've never made prior reservations along the road, either on the trip down or on the way back.

The year we hit the storm, we "holed" up in Bangor rather than continuing on that first day on the road.

This year is the first where we haven't given ourselves an extra, just-in-case, day on the road, so I am hoping we don't bang into any storms at all (otherwise, I'll have to call ahead to CBR to rearrange our stay, and I don't know what kind of problem that might present!).

With the exception of one trip, we've always travelled to WDW in December - the kids always have two weeks off, and we have just taken them out of school for an additional week... it never seems to have hurt their marks, or anything. Eldest DD is at university, and will be off for three weeks at the same time. We love our Florida Christmas vacations - and we're home every second year, so get to have our traditional Christmasses as well.

One thing I've always done - and will do again this year - is pack a bag of "car goodies" for the kids (one for each - I usually just pick up a bright coloured, large gift bag at the dollar store) - a new c.d. or tape, some packaged nibbles, a couple of books or magazines (neither have ever been bothered by car sickness), crossword puzzle books, small games or puzzles, etc. When they were younger, I stuck in colouring books and markers, drawing pads, etc....this always kept them relatively amused in the car during the drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter