Trattoria al Forno Bon Yoyage breakfast 7/10/17

butterfly71076

DIS Veteran
Hi all!! I was so excited to get an ADR for this breakfast! Not only was it something new, but also on my birthday!! So here goes, the good and the bad.

Our ADR was for 8:30a. We were staying at CSR and getting to Boardwalk was fairly easy as we had someone with a car. The drive over was quick, not far from CSR. We used the valet parking, down a quick flight of stairs and we were in front of Trattoria al Forno. I checked in about 15 minutes before our reservation. The hostess was a bit on the gruff side, not everyone is a morning person! We waited in the lobby around 5-10 minutes before being called. I have to agree with those that have posted about this breakfast before, the little cart and clothes rack full of princess merchandise takes away from the beautiful restaurant. It kind of cheapens the feel of it.

We were shown to a booth with an extra chair (party of 5, 3 adults, 2 children). It was a bit uncomfortable and we felt squashed, but there were no other tables open for 5 according to the server, so we just dealt with it.

Our server came over with a tray of pastries and juice. ( I forgot the picture!) The kids loved these, especially the little muffins (rainbow colored vanilla and blueberry) and chocolate croissant. There was also a jelly filled shaped like a clam, and a sweet sun shaped puff pastry.

We ordered and while we were waiting, Ariel did a cute little parade around the restaurant, which all the kids followed along. After the parade, the characters went for a little break. They were each announced before coming back out and everyone clapped. IMG_9844.JPG

Our food arrived. I rook some pictures, a few aren't that good.

I ordered the King Triton's Shipwreck al Forno - Calzone with Soppressata, Bacon, Sausage, Blend of Cheeses, and Sunday Gravy. This was pretty good, but huge!! I left half of it, would be better if you could share, but it's prix fixe. It was filled with cheese and meats, very delicious! IMG_9845.JPG

My aunt ordered Tangled Eggs - Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato-Basil Scrambled Eggs, and Sunday Gravy with Roasted Potatoes and Bacon or Sausage. She said this was ok. But, it felt like it was missing something. She did not care for the sausage at all, I thought it was fine.IMG_9847.JPG

My uncle ordered Tower of Pancakes - Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes and Seasonal Fruit Compote with Bacon or Sausage. He thought these were pretty tasteless. We requested sugar free syrup and it was brought out, not problems. The fruit compote was sour, and they had powered sugar on the pancakes, which is not listed on the menu. We just scraped it off (he's diabetic). Sorry the pic is so bad!IMG_9849.JPG

One kid got the Lil' Swimmers Delight - Egg White Omelet with Spinach and Tomatoes served with Potatoes and choice of Small Lowfat Milk or Small bottled Water, without the spinach and tomatoes, just scrambled egg whites. He really didn't like this and he loves egg whites. Hardly touched it, especially the potatoes, which my aunt tried and said they were not bad. IMG_9848.JPG

The other kid ordered Flounder's Flapjacks - with Bacon or Sausage and fresh Fruit served with choice of Small Lowfat Milk, Small Bottled Water, or Small Apple Juice. She really liked these, they are essentially Mickey waffles, just a different character. The kids were really excited to get little sword toothpicks (they like eating with different shaped toothpicks, I know, they are weird!) IMG_9846.JPG

Everyone also gets to choose a small bowl of fruit or a berry, yogurt, and granola parfait. My aunt and I made the mistake of choosing the yogurt. It was disgusting, sour, plain yogurt, mushy sour fruit. The fresh fruit bowls were pretty good, strawberries, blueberries, and melon.

The characters were ok, the best was Prince Eric. The rest were just ok. Ranpunzel was the worst, IMO. She didn't engage the kids, just talked about herself. It was kind of strange.
IMG_9852.JPG IMG_9853.JPG IMG_9856.JPG IMG_9858.JPG

Overall, I'm glad we went. It was something new, and we made it fun for us. We laughed and clapped along with the music, the kids walked in the parade. The food was ok, and for what it is, I think too expensive. We will probably not go back to this meal, IMO, it's a one and done. The Boardwalk area is beautiful though! That is the first time I have ever been there and will definitely go back when all the shops are open.

Thanks for reading along!

Thanks! You just narrowed my choice to either the Shipwreck or the Frittata. If someone reading this has tried the latter would you please share your impression?

Haha. After a second look I just have to say your DS has the same expression for all 4 pictures. But your DD has a dreamy look with the princes:)

Yours is not the first review I've read where it's been said that the calzone is huge and the pancakes are bland.

Relatives are going in September and I told them that at least one should order the calzone, but ask for the sauce on the side, then get half wrapped. That half calzone will be a nice snack for somebody.

This makes me feel better about not being able to book this one for our trip in November. I've been trying for weeks. We have akerhaus already booked and love that princess breakfast.

This review was very helpful... thank you. I've been on the fence about canceling our 7:40 breakfast. We are already doing Akershus, which we enjoy, and we'll have to shell out for a Minnie van to get there because we have an infant who needs a car seat.

I just decided to cancel, and I feel good about it! Thank You!

Thanks for the review! I've been on the fence about the breakfast. I've made and cancelled it more than once. I might go one day for the unique characters, but the food just doesn't appeal to me. The kids food looked good, I wonder if they could do that in an adult portion?

Thanks for your review! Love all the photos, and helped our family decide that it doesn't sound like it's a good choice for us.

Thanks for the review! I've been on the fence about the breakfast. I've made and cancelled it more than once. I might go one day for the unique characters, but the food just doesn't appeal to me. The kids food looked good, I wonder if they could do that in an adult portion?

I wish they'd just add the princes to a meet and greet and add rapunzel to one of the existing princess meals!

I'm quite the picky eater myself so most of the "adult options" were way too fancy looking for me when I went back in June. What I did was ordered the Steak and Eggs option but had them substitute scrambled eggs for the egg torte. Had I not done so, I don't think I would have been very happy with my meal.

I do kind of agree that it's a one and done sort of meal. It was fun getting to meet the princes but I feel like they were rushed. It probably didn't help that we were one of the last tables they met with in the rotation, so I think by the time they got to us (and saw a table of 3 adults) they were trying to just get to a break.

We actually enjoyed this meal. We didn't find it to be rushed and actually liked the different option of food selections over the usual ones at the other buffets and all you can eat meals. The characters came by to us (it was just my dd who is an adult and myself) and they spent some time with us. Of course we did ask them a lot of questions LOL! We would do it again. I guess like anything else it's all the matter of preference. My only issue with this meal is that it is not easy to get to. Feel free to check out my review with photos:

BON VOYAGE BREAKFAST PHOTOS & REVIEW

We just ate there in June and it was my favorite breakfast that we went to! I loved it! Food, service, and character interaction was excellent!

We ate there on July 4 and had a good time. It was a little disappointing though, as Flynn was absent when we were there. They had Sophia the First in his place. She was running late and we never even saw her.

Thanks for the review. This is one of the places I'm considering for breakfast with DS (4), since we will be staying at BWV. This definitely helps me decide!

Thanks for the review! we have an extra table credit that i didn't know what to do with. hopefully i find an opening.

Thank you for sharing.

I had no idea what 'Sunday Gravy' was before I read your review, I am not a fan of tomato sauce so if I order anything that includes it I'll be sure to ask for it on the side.

I am so disappointed they made this a character breakfast that is prefix. I loved to go here and order the shrimp with polenta for breakfast. It was amazing. I see it is no longer on the menu. I love Rapunzel, but won't go. Thanks for the review.

i am looking at the new updated menus for Bon Voyage Breakfast ,and there is no more pastry platter, it is a sticky pecan bun for the table for an additional $4.95? Has anyone been here in the last few weeks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts