Transportation to/from airport from Universal Resort

This is a copy of my post from the Universal Studios\IOA forum - it probably makes more sense here as it covers my transportation using Mears from the Sapphire to and from the Airport as well as Disney MK, AK and Searworld.

Just wanted to provide some info on my recent transportation experience as a solo traveler looking for the least expensive options.

I booked Mears in advance for the round trip to the airport - at that time I also added on a round trip to MK and AK - the total for one person was 67.50.

Over the years I have heard mixed things about Mears, but keep in mind Magic Express and all the buses in Universal are run by Mears.

I checked in at the Mears desk and got all my tickets - you need to pick up your attraction tickets here as well - I had to inform the employee of this as she really had no clue.
15 minutes later I was in the mini bus on the way to Sapphire Falls - trip was quick and efficient - I was first dropped off - as I understand it there will be no more than three stops

On the AK day I called 1 day in advance and scheduled it. They start picking up at 8:05 and every hour after that for AK. Shuttle bus arrived about 10 minutes early. We had one other pick-up where we waited 15 minutes for the folks
Be aware that they will only wait 5 minutes past the scheduled pickup time and they seem to typically be early - they recommend being there 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
They will not wait past the 5 minutes. Others on the bus were going to MK and that was the first stop - I decided to get off there and hit MK first since it was a magic hours day at AK (should have planned better)

You need to schedule the return trip 2 hours in advance and the pick up at half past the hour.
My pick from AK was about 20 minutes early and I was already waiting - I was the only pickup so we went right to Sapphire early.

On the Mk day my experience was similar - be ware they drop you and pick you up at the TTC.
One thing I noticed - another group was going to AK and paid and tipped him when they got on the shuttle - AK was our first stop - but I am pretty sure that is the most out of the way place to be going first.
So it may be worth paying and tipping immediately

Pick up was similar - but I wanted to mention that there was another person there with his son who he mentioned many times that the son was autistic.
The son was perfectly fine - just overly polite and talkative - no need to keep saying sorry he is autistic - we understand.
He may have said it 10 times between waiting and the bus trip.

Anyway I was getting the bus at 8:30 he was complaining that the 8:00 bus was late and that he was scheduled for the 9:00 bus.
He had said that Mears had already left him waiting before.
I informed him he was wrong and that the times were 8:30 and 9:30 for pickup - he insisted 9:00 and showed me his notes - I pointed out that his notes said 9:30
The reason I point this out is I wonder what percentage of the complains is just customer misunderstandings related to the stress of a Disney vacation

My bus came a few minutes early and they let him on the early one since there was room - no hassle at all

Pickup day - called 24 hours in advance to confirm. Bus was at 4:55 AM for an 8AM flight - they want you on a bus that is 3 hours before your flight
Be aware that the airport recommends that you be 3 hours early even for US flights as there is only one tram between the terminal and the airport.
Anyway the bus was at least 10 minutes early - but unfortunately there were two other people scheduled for that bus that did not show - so we waited until 5AM at Sapphire
I am pretty sure I watched these two get into an Uber. Going to the airport with larger bags and the Uber would not let them but the bags in the trunk - it was interesting to watch them try to fit in this tiny car.
Seemed a bit ridiculous to me - I have never used Uber and really dont want to.

We got to the airport quickly and I was actually early enough to get on the earlier flight.
Be aware that even that early on a Sunday Morning it took about 30 minutes to get through security

So overall my experience with Mears was very good - and the price (at least for one person) was very reasonable - $21 round trip to a Disney park.
Once you have 2-3 people I'd start to look at other options - especially for the airpoty
No doubt if I had my family with me I would use Tony Hinds or another car service.

One major flaw in the system is they should get people numbers and text them that they are on the way or at the hotel.
You can call and book a Mears shuttle and you dont pay until you get on - so it lends itself to no-shows that could be quite annoying for the other folks on the shuttle.

I also wanted to mention the free shuttle to SeaWorld for the Universal Hotels.
It goes once an hour from 9AM to 11 (I think) - Park openes at 10
The shuttle goes from the main bus loop at Universal - you need to book the bus a day in advance at your hotel
It is a bit of a hassle to get over there - I had assumed it went from the hotels - but I guess this makes sense
The one bus was full - but everyone did get on
The bus returns once an hour starting at 3:30 if I recall correctly - you can take any of the buses back
Last bus is at 6:30 (Park closed at 6 that day)
A taxi would have been 20 each away according to the front desk (seems high since it is so close) - so it is a great deal

I am happy to be yet another satisfied customer of Tony! I emailed him for a quote from MCO to RPR for our family of four, his rates were great, our airline was delayed, but he stayed on top of it, very prompt and courteous! I would use Tony again in a heartbeat rather than Uber, renting a car, etc when flying into Orlando. Look him up!

I have to give another shout out to Tony! Top notch service at a reasonable rate for our recent trip to Universal. Couldn't be happier and would book him again in a heartbeat!

Can anyone tell me if they Tip Tony Hinds? I've used a DLR driver that had tip included before. I'll assume to tip Tony, but appreciate feedback.

Can anyone tell me if they Tip Tony Hinds? I've used a DLR driver that had tip included before. I'll assume to tip Tony, but appreciate feedback.

I tip Tony (or his other driver) based on the round trip cost, but I give half on the arrival trip and half on the departure trip. I actually tip a bit extra on the arrival trip, since I request a quick stop at the grocery store on the way to the resort.

We loved using uber. We only had one issue, we are a family of 6 and they sent a vehicle with space for 5. We got a refund after that. Otherwise, great service.

Will Uber take you from MCO and drop you off and pick you up directly at your hotel at Universal? (Cabana Bay)?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!:wave:
Extended family trip to Universal, Cabana Bay, March 21-March 25. We have 11 people coming in on the 21st. Would love to use Tony, but his van only holds 10...
1. Any other recommendations for a group of 11?
2. Anyone used VIP Express Tours?

Any information is helpful! Thanks!!!!

Will Uber take you from MCO and drop you off and pick you up directly at your hotel at Universal? (Cabana Bay)?

I use Lyft instead of Uber, but yes they can now pick you up at MCO. Just look back one page of this thread to see reports! I have taken Lyft from Cabana Bay to the airport. I scheduled the ride from inside CBBR in the lobby, and the driver who was rather new was sent to some back driveway. Once I went out the front door to the pickup area she found her way to me.

Hi Everyone!:wave:
Extended family trip to Universal, Cabana Bay, March 21-March 25. We have 11 people coming in on the 21st. Would love to use Tony, but his van only holds 10...
1. Any other recommendations for a group of 11?
2. Anyone used VIP Express Tours?

Any information is helpful! Thanks!!!!
Have you called Tony to see about options? He may have something to offer. On my recent trip, Tony had a family conflict the prevented him from driving our return to trip to MCO, so he arranged for another driver in a different van to transport us.

Yes, absolutely. I've used uber and lyft, and generally see what the rate and how long it will take to get picked up before deciding which one to use. Great for airport transport and for going between Universal and WDW. You can use the code e8r3a to get your first ride from Uber free.

Just emailed Tony for our upcoming stay and he responded immediately. Have my pick up all set from MCO to RPH.
As always :disrocks:

I'm so far behind! We head to Universal next Saturday and I've got a lot to get planned. (I'm an accountant by trade, so I've just been swamped.) Anyways, after reading lots of positives on Tony, I just emailed him and he responded within minutes. We are booked for a pickup next Saturday from Sanford. Hoping all goes well. Thank you for the recommendation!

Another happy Tony Hinds customer! I contacted him for transportation to HRH from MCO for my son, his girlfriend and her family. He was so quick with his e-mails to me. My son arrived yesterday. Tony called him in the morning to let him know where he'd be picked up at the airport. Another driver picked them up and took them to HRH. They were happy with their experience. I think I'm going to start using him as well! No need to drive anywhere once I get to Universal!!

Hi!

Looks like you received the correct info

We all work like a team and every one here, enjoys helping those with questions

Yes Tony Hinds is a gem!

He started out working for John and Marie in the 90's
I had him once when he was one of their drivers

Years back he started his own company.

Since 1995 I have used all of the major private car companies

Some were very good and a few I did not give a second chance

Found Tony and stayed with him ever since
I'm a female that travels solo for quite a few trips to Orlando each year
When I find a company I feel secure with, I stay with them

It's not that I know everything, but once I am well pleased with a company, i have no need to switch

I'm always glad to share my personal experiences and will always try to support the small businesses in the Orlando area

Tony is cheaper than some of the companies and is on time/prompt

He parks his vehicle inside mco and you have a few steps from the carousel to his car
There are fees to park inside mco and he does not pass this extra charge on to you
Same with toll fees
Both of those extra charges come out of his pocket

He tracks your flight and is aware of early arriving or delays

He or his drivers meets you at the bottom of the escalator with your last name on an iPod
Easy to find your driver

He allows a grocery or any type of stop on the way to your hotel
If you need two stops, he will do so if there is time
If his schedule is open, two stops can be counted on

For picking you up to return to mco, he will arrive early but that is in his time

He will take cc if a person insists
Most customers pay cash or other sources

This man has done more for me than I could expect from a company

Two years ago, I left my glasses at the check out cashier station at Publix

I called him hours later that night to ask if I left my glasses in his car

He checked and they were not there

But very late that night I found out he went back to the two stores to see if I left them at the stores I went in

He found them and drove to my hotel to give them to me

Would not take a tip for his time or gas
Absolutely refused

It was my fault for losing them but he made it his job to backtrack and find them for me

This is another reason I stay with Tony
He is a good honest man

And, he treats all his fares the same way

To comment on the question before mine, he charges I think $60 for one way only trip but charges $100 for round trip

Port and Sanford rates are higher

I get nothing from Tony for telling others about him
I pay the same $100 for my rt fares as all others do

I just like to share my experiences and help answer questions about his service as it can be scary hiring a driver when you know nothing about them

Look around and do check out car companies
There are a few I would trust and use if Tony was booked up and had no openings

What pleases me might not please others

I don't bash any of the companies in Orlando unless there are safety or security issues
@macraven I know I'm quoting a very old post, but I just wanted to say thank you for giving such an in-depth description of your experience! DD10 and I will be traveling alone in June, so safety is definitely a concern :). I'm going to have to call Tony to see if he's available for our trip!

Stenmarks, glad to help
Hope you book with him as he is a dependable person

His rates have not changed

Tell him I said hi and will be seeing him later this year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!