Transportation Suggestions for a DL Newbie Staying at Doubletree

awalker1015

DIS Veteran
Very excited to be headed to Anaheim for work next month. Going solo and staying at the Doubletree near the convention center. Planning on hitting the parks on arrival day, and the day after the conference ends. Since I will be traveling alone, what is the safest way to get to and from the parks? I am a runner and walking doesn't bother me, but I have never been to Anaheim so I don't know about the safety of the area.

Also, for anyone who has stayed at the Doubletree, is there any place nearby I can walk to for bottled water, snacks, etc?

Thanks!!

This hotel has a shuttle service. Check with the hotel for the cost for the shuttle.

Edited to add shuttle code is $5 per day per Getawaytoday.com's website.

Last edited:
It's probably a 15 minute walk straight up Harbor. No problem during the day but I don't know if I would walk it alone late at night. There is a Target if you walk down Harbor (about 10-15 minute walk- opposite direction of DL).

you are very close to Target. I was about a half mile further than you from it and it cost me $8 round trip to uber there and back to our hotel. There is also a walgreens and CVS close by- maybe a 10 min walk as well.

I've walked from further down Harbor than that. I wouldn't think twice about walking it. My son who was maybe 9 at the time walked with me every morning to the parks from Hilton Garden Inn...at night we had hubby with us, but that's further down than Doubletree.

And if you're nervous at night just take a cab back. But it's filled with fellow tourists, really.

As you get to the Katella intersection there's a little mom and pop store to get supplies and a 7-11, or across the street (closer to Doubletree) there's a CVS (huge and filled with tourists).

Is this the Doubletree Suites? We stay there and take the Toy Story buses. Super easy. I recommend this over ART (which is the hotel shuttle).

Thanks everyone! Glad to know it's safe to walk but also glad to hear about the Toy Story shuttle!

The biggest safety issue IMO is the occasional mentally ill homeless person who might approach you. Generally harmless but still can be scary. One night a person like this jumped out of the bushes and yelled at my wife. She was with me and our four teenager sons so in no real danger. But the shock of it frightened her. That has happened to us once over many trips so it is not common. But it can happen on Harbor as it is a public street.

Generally there will be lots of other people around walking so you are not alone should this happen. Still it might spook you if it did. Highly unlikely.

Overall I think the area right around DLR is quite safe, clean and upbeat day and night.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter