Trail fro Wilderness lodge to Fort Wilderness?

Cindy B

<font color=blue>Have taken some furniture polish
I have a few questions regarding this .

I will be staying at Wilderness lodge, but want to go over to FW a few times during our stay. This is my first time at either one of these places.. so forgive me if these questions sound stupid.

I saw that this trail is about a mile long between the two..

Is this trail well marked?

Is this trail have lights during the evening? (i'm wondering if i need to pack flashlights)

Where do this trail end up in Fort Wilderness?

If I wanted to do the campfire/movie, how would I get there from the trail?

Is there any possiblility of getting lost on this trail?

I'm leaving in two weeks, and I'm getting more and more excited!~

If you go to the buses at the WL and keep walking, you will find the path. It reminded me of an asphalt access road. It is plenty wide for people walking single file one way and bikes going the other way, so it would be hard to wander off of it and get lost. I don't remember seeing any lights during our daytime walk, so you will want to take flashlights for night time use. I don't remember exactily where we came out at FW, but it was very close to the trading post, trails end buffet, the review, petting area and barn. I honestly think it was really close to the barn, because I remember seeing the school kids on hay rides when we got to FW. I don't know where the campfire is, though, so I can not answer that question for you.

idontknow knew most of it:p

I have never seen any lights on it and it does get dark at night - bring lights.

It ends up just behind the golf cart lot across from the settlement bus area (which is in fron of the petting zoo).

To get to the campfire just hop a bus to the medows area or continue walking to the right (right at the first corner you come to). As you walk along this road (Fort Wilderness Trail to be exact) you will find the campfire in the meadows area just past the 600 loop.

Check out the map on the bottom of my Fort Wilderness web page and you can see the path.

If you walked the path from WL to FW, it's really not that much further to the campfire.

Behind the bike rental building there is a dirt path that allows you to walk along the edge of the lake and if you try this path early in the morning you might even see a couple of deer. Just make sure to have the bug spray on.

OKW-DVC Member

If you go to the buses at the WL and keep walking, you will find the path. It reminded me of an asphalt access road.

Is there two different paths? We got on the trail near the rental bikes, and it was a dirt path. We didn't find it well marked at all except for the first sign that said to FW..but assumed we were going correctly because it was a path and it went toward FW campground. If I had been by myself, I would have been a little spooked walking it at dusk, especially hearing all the animals in the brush. At one point it went in two directions, but we took what appeared to be the more traveled path. We thought we were wrong, until the horse carriage ride went past us. We asked the driver if we were on the correct road, and he didn't answer us. We figured he must have come form somewhere. We ended up near the petting zoo. We took the boat back.

Obviously there are two paths. The main one listed on the maps is paved, not dirt.

Folks cutting around the lake amy have created an unofficial second path.

From what I can tell from my map the walk between WL and Ft.W is about 2 miles.

You may want to take the boat. It's a short, quick and fun ride. The boat travels between these resorts frequently. Especially at night when alot of people are coming/going to Hoop-de-doo.

2 miles? It was quoted at about one mile!

I totally forgot about the boat though!

It's about a mile long, nice and flat and a nice stroll. Very wide, so there is plenty of room for bikes and walkers. The boat is nice but can take a while depending on the wait for the launch.

It's a lovely walk, just watch out for armadillos at dusk. They really scared me (DH still loves to tell that story) until I figured out what that scratchy noise was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter