ToyStory land/Star Wars land opening

What Zahn epilogue are you referring to? I used to be an avid EU reader, I basically read every post Battle of Yavin book until they announced the EU would no longer be cannon and have not read or keep up with any of the books since then. Maybe it is time to go back and give it another try.

Well... it was an epilogue when written back in the early 90s. At least in the sense that they followed about 5 years on the heels of Episode VI and showed that destroying the DS and killing the Emperor, plus Vader's death, did not, in fact, end the Empire and free the entire galaxy. The Thrawn trilogy, also sometimes called The Heir to the Empire Trilogy is three books starting with Heir to the Empire, then Dark Force Rising, and ending with The Last Command. All 3 are excellent, though I can't say the same about Zahn's other SW books, which range from extremely mediocre to pretty good.

The Thrawn trilogy introduced a few key characters and concepts that show up in many, many other SW Legends books. In addition to Thrawn, you get Mara Jade, the concept of The Emperor's Hand(s), Talon Karrde, and Gilad Pallaeon, and some force excluding animal that starts with myrk-something or other that shows up in a lot of Legends.

Ahh, I was thinking he was referring to something more recent. Read the original Thrawn trilogy multiple times already. Got my hopes up for something new and good.
No. Nothing new, though he did release a new Thrawn book this year along with the character appearance in Rebels.

No. Nothing new, though he did release a new Thrawn book this year along with the character appearance in Rebels.

Did you read the new Thrawn book and if so is it worth picking up?

So I guess the rebels appearance brought Thrawn into cannon but what about this new book, is it stand alone and therefor has no mention of event in the original Thrawn trilogy? I assume the book is canon and not written in the "Legends" timeline, I have not heard anything about them continuing any of those stories although I admittedly have not been keeping up.

To clarify even further. The Disneyland version has a couple options. One is rethemed to Iron Man, another is to be moved to the new marvel land in DCA.

For DHS that one will not stay as is forever. Around 2020/21 that one will also be rethemed into something else since it is not part of SWL.
For the DHS one, could that potentially stay since it is rather close to Star Wars Land? I know the one at DL just won't fit well having Star Wars at two completely different points in the park.

So I guess the rebels appearance brought Thrawn into cannon but what about this new book, is it stand alone and therefor has no mention of event in the original Thrawn trilogy? I assume the book is canon and not written in the "Legends" timeline, I have not heard anything about them continuing any of those stories although I admittedly have not been keeping up.

I have not read it. From what I understand it provides Thrawn some backstory and rewrites part of his backstory that was in a short story in the Legends Universe. And yes, Thrawn is now part of canon as are some other characters from the legends universe. The Bento as was mentioned earlier, and the Inquisitors are brought to canon including the Seventh Sister who you will find in DHS. Might be a few more, but I think most of the other characters like Hondo Ohnaka, Commander Rex, the Mandalorians and more were either created as canon in The Clone Wars cartoons or brought into canon as part of that series.

I did, it's very well written. I really enjoyed it.

I haven't read the original Thrawn books though.

As far as timeline is concerned. The new book precedes Thrawn's introduction in Rebels Season 3.

Starting in Dec 2016 I decided to read/watch the "Official New Star Wars Canon"
I limited myself to Novels, Jr Novels, TV (rebels/clone wars), The prequel trilogy, original trilogy, TFA, R1, various canon short stories and promo videos.

The list was from wookieepedia

If you interested here is the list

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0FNsEjTHklFsvI61OpsOJQKiQ#StarWarsCanon

Last edited:
Maybe I will have to give this one a try. I was fairly bitter for quite a while about the EU being made non-cannon so I was not reading any of the books published recently but if I going to read one again a Zahn book about Thrawn probably a good one to start with.

I don't know if the "milling around" approach is practical for a character meal. Especially when guests are paying the premium rates with the assumption that they are guaranteed some interaction. Families won't be happy if they have to chase characters around the venue and fight for attention...particularly if they have young kids, shy kids, people with certain special needs, etc.

We did a Star Wars breakfast at Sci-Fi a couple years ago. They had Vader and Boba Fett in the entrance for group photos. Then Stormtroopers, Jaws and Greedo were making the rounds inside. I'd expect something similar.
There won't be any traditional character dining in SWL. They want this to be as immersive and realistic as possible. A traditional character dining restaurant doesn't offer that.

For the DHS one, could that potentially stay since it is rather close to Star Wars Land? I know the one at DL just won't fit well having Star Wars at two completely different points in the park.
It's close but not connected. It doesn't make sense to not have it connected so it will close and be rethemed.

There won't be any traditional character dining in SWL. They want this to be as immersive and realistic as possible. A traditional character dining restaurant doesn't offer that.

A lofty goal but seemingly impractical. Unless they plan to offer it a non character meal prices. Even then, it's setting up a situation where packs of kids are forced to chase characters around the building. And many parents are left upset with the lack of character interaction received.

Reminds me of the situation with "the gray stuff" at BOG when it opened. Introducing it as a rare, "pixie dust" type event may have seemed like a good idea during brainstorming sessions, but public reaction inevitably forced a change.

A lofty goal but seemingly impractical. Unless they plan to offer it a non character meal prices. Even then, it's setting up a situation where packs of kids are forced to chase characters around the building. And many parents are left upset with the lack of character interaction received.

Reminds me of the situation with "the gray stuff" at BOG when it opened. Introducing it as a rare, "pixie dust" type event may have seemed like a good idea during brainstorming sessions, but public reaction inevitably forced a change.
I don't think it's unpractical. They don't have character dining in Potter at Universal. This land will be unlike any other. This land won't have a lack of character interaction. You will have roaming characters throughout the land. CMs will be characters in themselves.

I don't see how this compares to the grey stuff.

I don't think it's unpractical. They don't have character dining in Potter at Universal. This land will be unlike any other. This land won't have a lack of character interaction. You will have roaming characters throughout the land. CMs will be characters in themselves.

I don't see how this compares to the grey stuff.
J K Rowling supposedly wouldn't allow actual HP characters as part of the deal. It'll be interesting to see if Disney can resist. I've been leery since I saw Darth Vader dancing. :headache:

Well, the original post I replied to said that Star Wars characters would be "milling around" the cantina just waiting to interact with guests. They could dress CMs in different costumes appropriate to different planets or businesses (shops, cantina, spaceport, etc.) Seeing people in unique dress is not exactly what I would call a Disney character experience. But anyone who is expected to "perform" would earn equity wages which are considerably higher than what Disney pays a run-of-the-mill CM. Even if Disney is willing to do this, these won't be charming little one-on-one encounters where Boba Fett happens to be sitting in a dark corner for 10 minutes before anyone notices he's entered the room.

J K Rowling supposedly wouldn't allow actual HP characters as part of the deal. It'll be interesting to see if Disney can resist. I've been leery since I saw Darth Vader dancing. :headache:
Kathleen Kennedy has been very strict about what's happening. That's why you don't see Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters anymore.

Well, the original post I replied to said that Star Wars characters would be "milling around" the cantina just waiting to interact with guests. They could dress CMs in different costumes appropriate to different planets or businesses (shops, cantina, spaceport, etc.) Seeing people in unique dress is not exactly what I would call a Disney character experience. But anyone who is expected to "perform" would earn equity wages which are considerably higher than what Disney pays a run-of-the-mill CM. Even if Disney is willing to do this, these won't be charming little one-on-one encounters where Boba Fett happens to be sitting in a dark corner for 10 minutes before anyone notices he's entered the room.
From what I understand you won't have typical meet and greets in this land. You will have an experience. You will be in the world of Star Wars.

From what I understand you won't have typical meet and greets in this land. You will have an experience. You will be in the world of Star Wars.
When you say "experience" what do you mean? It would seem likely to end up too crowded for much personalization.

When you say "experience" what do you mean? It would seem likely to end up too crowded for much personalization.
The land and everything in it will be an experience. There will be personalization according to Disney. How good of a falcon driver you are will affect your experience. It is supposed to be like you are on the actual planet they are creating.

The land and everything in it will be an experience. There will be personalization according to Disney. How good of a falcon driver you are will affect your experience. It is supposed to be like you are on the actual planet they are creating.

It also seems like the patent filed recently is possibly for the SWL rides and/or character interactions. The patent uses recognition technology to allow the audio-animatronics to interact with guests individually rather than just looped dialogue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!