Toy Hauler Rant

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
Ok, I needed a place to rant. Went to the huge RV show here in Tampa, Fl to look at toy haulers. Either they were 40 feet long (way too long for us) or they had absolutely no storage space! Almost every one in our size limit had no storage. I mean there were a few with no cabinets or drawers in the kitchen. Not one! I mean food is sort of a necessity when camping, don't you think? Would be nice to have some sort of dry food storage. Ok, rant over. I guess the golf cart will just have to keep traveling in the back of the truck.

We looked at the toy haulers when we where thinking of getting a trailer. They are nice, but we find the garage area just to dull once you get to the site and setup. I know it’s a garage area for toys but they could make it feel a little more like a camper.

Oh Lord, where's @SouthAlabama5er ?

I agree, the smaller ones leave much to be desired everywhere else except the garage. I do want one though, and looking at a 40' currently as an option, but probably just a dream. Biggest gainer, besides the space for cart, atv, etc is that usually in the back you'll get two queen beds which greatly increases "comfortable" sleeping vs the thin mattressed bunk beds like the ones in my TT. Also, the lower bed is usually a dinette, typically a bigger table compared to most RVs.

The TT toyhaulers are absolutely a waste in my opinion unless your just 2 people.

I agree, the smaller ones leave much to be desired everywhere else except the garage. I do want one though, and looking at a 40' currently as an option, but probably just a dream. Biggest gainer, besides the space for cart, atv, etc is that usually in the back you'll get two queen beds which greatly increases "comfortable" sleeping vs the thin mattressed bunk beds like the ones in my TT. Also, the lower bed is usually a dinette, typically a bigger table compared to most RVs.

The TT toyhaulers are absolutely a waste in my opinion unless your just 2 people.

We found quite a few that we loved that were in the 38'-40' range, but we do a lot of state park camping here in Fl and a TT under 37' is usually ideal for those places. It doesn't help that I absolutely love the TT we have now, so unless I find one that I really like, I am not willing to settle.

Even with just us two people camping the storage space in TH turned us off.

One thing I do like about my TT is I don't lose space in bed of my truck. I can carry dirty stuff like grill, outdoor carpet, firewood. Also hard to pack stuff like canopy. Going 5th wheel I lose that space. Granted, I get the lower storage that most 5th wheels have, but not as easy.

The TH gives me that storage back, plus some. Just another of those things I consider.

We have a 32 foot Coachman 26CB Toy Hauler. One of the things that sold us is that the garage is part of the living space. Where many toy haulers have a wall separating the garage from the living space, ours is one common living space. There is a total length of over 17 feet for hauling toys. For us we can haul our golf cart and Goldwing motorcycle. The original OP stated that he wanted storage space. This camper has ample indoor storage for most camping necessities, food being high on the list. We also like the fact that it is built with Azdel sidewalls and aluminum framing. Almost eliminates the issues of mold and rot. Our model has a bedroom with a residential queen size bed. It also has the Happijack bed lift system that has a queen bed and the dinette makes into a queen size bed also. It is billed as a half ton towable camper. At almost 11,000 lbs. GVWR, a half ton would be pushing it. I pull with a Chevy 2500 6.0 liter gas.

This is a link to video that gives a pretty complete overview of the camper.

We have a Keystone Outback TT. We love this camper! We were looking for something that looks like a traditional camper, but still had a space for our motorcycle or the golf cart. We have plenty of storage! We also like having a TT rather than a 5th wheel so we have our truck bed for bikes, coolers, etc.

We have a Keystone Outback TT. We love this camper! We were looking for something that looks like a traditional camper, but still had a space for our motorcycle or the golf cart. We have plenty of storage! We also like having a TT rather than a 5th wheel so we have our truck bed for bikes, coolers, etc.

Is yours the 324CG with the side garage? If so, that was my favorite, but our golf cart won't fit unless we take the back seat off :(.

We have a 32 foot Coachman 26CB Toy Hauler. One of the things that sold us is that the garage is part of the living space. Where many toy haulers have a wall separating the garage from the living space, ours is one common living space. There is a total length of over 17 feet for hauling toys. For us we can haul our golf cart and Goldwing motorcycle. The original OP stated that he wanted storage space. This camper has ample indoor storage for most camping necessities, food being high on the list. We also like the fact that it is built with Azdel sidewalls and aluminum framing. Almost eliminates the issues of mold and rot. Our model has a bedroom with a residential queen size bed. It also has the Happijack bed lift system that has a queen bed and the dinette makes into a queen size bed also. It is billed as a half ton towable camper. At almost 11,000 lbs. GVWR, a half ton would be pushing it. I pull with a Chevy 2500 6.0 liter gas.

This is a link to video that gives a pretty complete overview of the camper.

The Adrenaline was one our our favorites, we wanted a slide plus the queen walk around bed. With those two options, it put us over our length and pushed the weight limit. The 26QB without the slide would be perfect if it had a slide. Maybe next year's model will fit us perfectly. Definitely will keep this one on our list.

Grand Design makes a 5er with a rear bedroom and a garage UNDER the bed, but inside looks and feels like a regular front lounge 5er. Solitude 374TH. Not sure how a full size golf cart would fit, but this is a neat idea.

Solitude374thGarage2.gif

Solitude-374TH-Bedroom-web.jpg

j

The Adrenaline was one our our favorites, we wanted a slide plus the queen walk around bed. With those two options, it put us over our length and pushed the weight limit. The 26QB without the slide would be perfect if it had a slide. Maybe next year's model will fit us perfectly. Definitely will keep this one on our list.

We have been very happy with our Adrenaline. The 1 thing I think would have made it closer to perfect would have been to have the kitchen area as a slide. This would have made the living quarters huge. I agree with you about the walk around bed. We would have liked to had the walk around bed but to be honest, the corner bed hasn't been that bad. Usually the DW is in bed before me and seldom has needed to get up during the night and when she has it hasn't been that difficult to get in and out of the bed. The big selling point for us was the open floor plan with no walls separating the garage from the living area.

Grand Design makes a 5er with a rear bedroom and a garage UNDER the bed, but inside looks and feels like a regular front lounge 5er. Solitude 374TH. Not sure how a full size golf cart would fit, but this is a neat idea.

That is a great idea, and exactly what we were looking for in a toy hauler, but I won’t jump on it unless they come out with a bunkhouse.

Check out the Montana Big Country 5th wheel with garage storage. They want $60,000.00 around here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts