Top 10 Scariest DLR rides

mAlien13

Down with Disney
Hello. We are getting closer and closer to our trip (YEAH! :banana: ) and as I tighten down our itinerary, my DH is coming up with some questions about the fear factor of rides. I am a confirmed thrill-seeker, as is one of our DS's, while my DH and other DS are a little more reserved about the rides.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to get all you experienced DISers to post lists of your top 10 scariest rides. It will help us better prepare the more timid in our group I think.

Thanks and hope you have fun with it! :teeth:

Top 10 Disney Resort Thrill Rides
1. Tower of Terror
2. California Screamin'
3. Space Mountain
4. Big Thunder Mountain
5. Splash Mountain
6. Maliboomer
7. Indiana Jones
8. Mulholland Madness
9. Star Tours
10.Grizzly River Run

I have yet to go on for reasons of being too petrified:

Tower of Terror
Maliboomer

The rides I have experienced and still scare me are:

Swinging cars on the Sun Wheel
Splash Mountain (I hate the drop)

The ones that thrill me:

Space Mountain
Matterhorn
Big Thunder Mountain
Indiana Jones
Soarin'
California Screamin'
Mulholland Madness

This is what I think are the top 10 scariest attractions for smaller children - in no particular order --

1. Tower of Terror (drop factor)
2. Pirates of the Caribbean (my little ones were afraid of the dark)
3. Haunted Mansion
4. Indiana Jones
5. Splash Mountain (drop factor into the briar patch)
6. Space Mountain
7. California Screamin' (loop factor)
8. It's Tough to Be a Bug (falling spiders & such)
9. Snow White's Scary Adventures
10. Maliboomer

DS - now 6 - went on the Matterhorn for his first ride at DL last year, lol. My friend talked him on it. He had a smile plastered on his face for about a half hour but said he wouldn't go on it again!

He said the scariest rides were:

Matterhorn
Splash Mountain - saw the drop from Tom Sawyers Island and said NO WAY!
ToT - Hasn't been on it but says he "knows" it's scary and can't wait to try it
Haunted Mansion - scary but loved it
Snow White - Evil Queen scared him
Honey I Shrunk the Kids - The 3d effects scared him a bit.

DD10
Indy - went once when she was 6 refuses to go on it again :(
Tea Cups - brother spins & spins hoping she'll hurl. Of course DS LOVES this :)

Me: The bill lol

We just got back yesterday, and my 5 year old has decided that some of the rides look scary, but they're all ok.
Tower of Terror - he thought it would be scary, but he liked the tickles in his tummy.
Indy - the ball was scary, but if it didn't hit mom and dad, he'll be ok too.
BTMRR - Only scary at night.
Matterhorn - not scary at all!
Star Tours - not scary at all - fabulous. (I think I have the script memorized)
Splash - not scary, but too wet. (it was chilly this week!)
Space Mountain - not scary at all
Soarin' - not scary at all
GRR - not scary at all, but not happening without a poncho!

My six year old went on TOT for a $10.00 bribe and said he will not do it agian for a few years!
MY 9 year old refuses the sun wheel swinging or not
I won't do mailiboomer!
OH yes the 9 year old would not do TOT for all the money in the world!
Neither one will do California screaming!
They both love everthing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only attraction I think is scary is It's Tough to be a Bug, but that's because I'm terribly arachniphobic. I can see TOT having the scare factor (I love it) along with CA Screamin' (some are intimidated by the drops and the loop, but again, I love it) along with Maliboomer. POTC did give me nightmares from when I rode it when I was 2 (the cave between the treasure rooms and the battle scene is what scared me--the way the light and shadows flicker on the walls with the disembodied voice). Some kids are probably afraid of HM and I can see why Snow White would be scary.

Awesome response, everyone! Thanks!
My DH is curious if anyone can compare California Screamin' to Rock n' Roller in WDW and GRR to the Kali ride as far as fear factor. Also, is ToT in DCA the same as in WDW?

My oldest DS says he might try BTMR this time (he has refused to try it the two times he has been to WDW) but says he is scared of Matterhorn and Indy.

I recently asked my two kids what the scariest ride is for them. My 4 year old said the Matterhorn. He doesnt like the monster. My 7 year old daughter said Mr. Toads wild ride. Going to Hell scares her.

mAlien13 said:
My DH is curious if anyone can compare California Screamin' to Rock n' Roller in WDW and GRR to the Kali ride as far as fear factor. Also, is ToT in DCA the same as in WDW?

My oldest DS says he might try BTMR this time (he has refused to try it the two times he has been to WDW) but says he is scared of Matterhorn and Indy.

I can only help with a couple of these. The following are just my opinion.

GRR is longer and has more thrill than Kali and you get just as wet too!

BTMR is a little longer and wilder in WDW, but still fantastic!

Indy is comparable to Dinosaur, but I think a little more wild as far as the car goes, and the rolling ball is thrilling, not frightening like the TRex.

As far as rides in general I am the chicken, my 5 year old is fearless. She went on Tower of Terror at 4 with a friend since I couldn't bear it. After the ride she said she didn't like the feeling in her stomach. So far she loves every other ride she is tall enough for.

Matterhorn is my daughters favorite ride and prefers the left entrance track. You see the Yeti twice.

Thanks, Alice's Mom!! This is what I was looking for as far as info on these rides. My mother loves the Kali River rapids, but when she read about the drop at the end of GRR, she got a little spooked.

LOL...she just called me and is now concerned with Soarin' more than ever. I can only tell her about a friends experience because I've not been on the ride yet myself...Is there anyone whom is normally a little timid on rides that could report their Soarin' experience?

Thanks so much, everyone...it has been so great planning this trip on this forum. :thumbsup2

We made the mistake of taking our 3 1/2 year old son on a bunch of the bigger rides before working up to them. Which made him leary of EVERYTHING. We got on soarin, and he was afraid, and holding tight to my arm. About 1-2 minutes in to the ride his grip let up and he was smiling. He LOVED it! Its now one of his favorite rides. Its really not something to be afraid of.

mAlien13 said:

California Screamin is much smoother than RNRC. It has some major hills and one loop but since it is outside, it doesn't have the dark factor RNRC does. Also, Screamin is longer. If anybody does not like heights it could be a problem I guess, since you go up sort of high. But I like it better than RNRC because its so incredibly smooth and doesn't give me a headache! It has the same type of quick launch RNRC has. You can see pretty much the whole ride as its all outside. Its incredible at night! As far as GRR, its better than Kali in my opinion. The raft seems to travel faster and you have two drops instead of one which increases the wet and thrill factors! BTMRR is alot of fun, there are no big hills but it is jerky. Did your son ride Dinosaur at AK? If so than Indy is pretty much the same ride with a different theme. Matterhorn is very similar to the WDW version of Space Mountain but not as dark. But the same type ride vehicles. One good thing about Matterhorn, your son would be strapped in with you. He will literally be riding almost in your lap. My daughter used to love the fact I could be holding her tight to make her feel secure. Now she's ridden it so many times she gets mad if I try to do that! Have a wonderful trip to Disneyland!

Oh, and TOT is very similar except you don't have the part where the elevator is travelling forward thru the dark dimension (or whatever that is). You board the ride, you go up, the doors open, you are looking down a hallway, there is a mirror or glass that shatters, you all get to wave at yourselves, then the doors close, then you drop. So once those doors close, get ready!

mAlien13 said:
LOL...she just called me and is now concerned with Soarin' more than ever. I can only tell her about a friends experience because I've not been on the ride yet myself...Is there anyone whom is normally a little timid on rides that could report their Soarin' experience?

There is nothing scary about Soarin'. In fact, it's one of the most serene rides in DL/CA. You sit on a long bench with individual seats and seat belts. The whole row lifts as one. You face a screen that has images of California and it just seems as if you're gliding over it. It's a wonderful ride.

mAlien13 said:

I went on Soarin' in WDW with DH, DD5, and DD3. My DD3 is the thrill-seeker, DD5 is not. Both loved the ride -- a swing without much movement. My DD5 won't even go high on the swings at the playground because of the motion :scared1: , but she didn't feel anything on Soarin'!

I do have to say that I was a little uneased, but only because I don't like heights at all, and we were in the "highest" row of seating. If this is a concern, ask to be seated in the middle or third row. They don't go as high, but apparently, the effect isn't as good in the third row.

I wouldn't go on it again during that trip, but it is well done, and I would be sure to ride it ONCE on each trip I do to DISNEY.

Frankly, at WDW, it was the one-hour-plus wait last September that was the scariest :teeth:

Thanks everyone for your responses. My mother just read these posts and feels so much better. She will try Soarin', in the back row.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter