Toll question....

damo

Proud Redhead
The Orlando toll calculator tells me that my toll will be $2.25 from the airport to the resorts. My question is where do you pay the toll. We usually take a cab or a town car but this time are renting a car and will be arriving after midnight. I want to be prepared with the proper money and know where they will collect this toll.

I was wondering this too ladt month when we went, but then found for $4.95 per day plus tolls they would do a pay by plate, i could just drive through the fast lanes and get charged automatically. Being on vacation I just figured it was worth the extra $5, as i didn't want to have to worry about having exact change each way etc.

I was wondering this too ladt month when we went, but then found for $4.95 per day plus tolls they would do a pay by plate, i could just drive through the fast lanes and get charged automatically. Being on vacation I just figured it was worth the extra $5, as i didn't want to have to worry about having exact change each way etc.

How would that work with a rental car, though?

How would that work with a rental car, though?

Thats what I am getting at. Hertz charged me $5 per day to be able to just drive through. Other rental places have transponders that you pay to use, or you can cover it with a blocker and use your own money. I just chose to pay the $5 for the convenience. The cost will depend on what company you rent from.

Thats what I am getting at. Hertz charged me $5 per day to be able to just drive through. Other rental places have transponders that you pay to use, or you can cover it with a blocker and use your own money. I just chose to pay the $5 for the convenience. The cost will depend on what company you rent from.

That is certainly convenient!

I've checked out Budget's program. They want $4/day of rental plus tolls. Considering we are renting for 10 days but will only be on toll roads for 2 days max, this really isn't going to work for us.

Anyone else out there who can tell me where they collect the toll money? Is it just once or do we need to stop and pay a few times? We'll be going across 528 to I4 to get from the airport to Royal Pacific.

I just did a search and found the following site that includes a map with toll locations:

https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/#

FWIW, I rented from Enterprise this summer to drive to the Keys and was told to just drive through the SunPass lanes. They did not charge me a fee upfront but told me they would send a separate bill later for the tolls (from license plate readers). I still have not received it.

Last edited:

I just did a search and found the following site that includes a map with toll locations:

https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/#

FWIW, I rented from Enterprise this summer to drive to the Keys and was told to just drive through the SunPass lanes. They did not charge me a fee upfront but told me they would send a separate bill later for the tolls (from license plate readers). I still have not received it.

Thanks! That's the site I used to calculate the toll total. I'm really trying to figure out how much I need to pay at each toll so I can have the exact fare ready. I think, from that site, there is only one plaza (Beachline West Plaza) and I pay $2.25 there. I guess I will just stock up on quarters just in case, but being a Canadian, this is going to take a bit of digging!

Suggestion:

1. I would buy a roll of quarters for now and just pay the toll when you go thru on the way from airport and back
again. That will cost you at most about $ 4.00 there and back possibly. Paying for toll use sticker on a rental at
$ 5.00 per day for a trip that only involves traveling from airport and back is not a savings at all.

2. You can go to Walgreens or Public’s and and purchase a small transponder. I think it costs now about $ 20.00. Go
on line and load a set amount of cash on the account. Within 24 hours it will be activated and you can travel
Thru pass lanes. This is convenient and cost effective if you are going to be traveling to Orlando on numberous
occasions.

The transponder has suction cups on the back and is conviently small enough to pack easily.

You can go online as needed and reload account.

Hope this helps.

Suggestion:

1. I would buy a roll of quarters for now and just pay the toll when you go thru on the way from airport and back
again. That will cost you at most about $ 4.00 there and back possibly. Paying for toll use sticker on a rental at
$ 5.00 per day for a trip that only involves traveling from airport and back is not a savings at all.

2. You can go to Walgreens or Public’s and and purchase a small transponder. I think it costs now about $ 20.00. Go
on line and load a set amount of cash on the account. Within 24 hours it will be activated and you can travel
Thru pass lanes. This is convenient and cost effective if you are going to be traveling to Orlando on numberous
occasions.

The transponder has suction cups on the back and is conviently small enough to pack easily.

You can go online as needed and reload account.

Hope this helps.

Problem is that we will be arriving after midnight and coming from Canada. So, can't get to a Publix to get a transponder. If it is just one toll, I can have $2.25 ready no problem.

If it was during the day I wouldn't be concerned but since we are so late and will have an infant with us, I like to be prepared in advance.

damo suggestion on the transponder was to be purchased if possible at sometime during your trip or anyone’s trip to Orlando if you or someone is going to be traveling to Orlando frequently.

Was not a suggestion for you to go out and look for a place to buy one after midnight on your arrival. That would for sure be very inconvenient for you.

Hope you have a great trip to Universal and a wonderful stay at RPR.

Problem is that we will be arriving after midnight and coming from Canada. So, can't get to a Publix to get a transponder. If it is just one toll, I can have $2.25 ready no problem.

If it was during the day I wouldn't be concerned but since we are so late and will have an infant with us, I like to be prepared in advance.

damo we came through this year after midnight from MCO but tolls had been suspended due to the hurricane.....so they were unmanned then.

Its not long after you come out of MCO and there used to be two sets of tolls now there`s only one. It was manned during the day but not sure about 24 hours........

If it`s not manned you just throw the $2.25 into the bucket thing that is there and drive straight through. There were people working in them on our way back.

As Schumigirl said, the toll is on 528 very soon after you leave the airport. It's the only one toll between MCO and RPR.

After countless trips of waiting to pay or scrounging around for change to pay the toll we finally bought a SunPass. You will see that they sell two type's, one is a sticker meant for one use only although I have read that people have successfully peeled it off for reuse and the other attached with suction cups and can be transferred from one vehicle to another.

Here's a link to the transponders that you can purchase online from SunPass: https://www.sunpass.com/selectAcceptAgreementPurchaseTransponder.action

I decided to get the suction cup one and keep it with my passes so that I remember to bring it. Then I have to remember to have it in the car with me (not the trunk) so that I can put it in the window. Then remember to take it home with me.

If you know someone in Florida that can send you one you would be able to set it up at home. They sell them lots of places.

Thanks everyone! I think I've got it all figured out now. Getting a transponder is a great idea for future trips!

We just returned today. Only one toll between the airport and the parks area (Universal is the closest to the airport, but still no toll necessary where we stayed near WDW).
Our car rental company rents unlimited tolls for $50+ a week. Fortunately we had a good guy at the rental place who said we didn't need it. MUCH cheaper just to pay the tolls at the booths outright instead of charging back to the rental place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts