Toe poking hole in top of running shoe?

Princess Roo

DIS Veteran
Hi! I'm new to posting on this section of the DIS, but started running 8 weeks ago and have decided to train for the Savannah RnR half in November, using walk/run. Right now I'm running 3, walking 1 and enjoying running for the first time in my life. I wish I had heard of Galloway years ago! Anyway, I have been spending the last week reading back-posts in this area and learning a lot from you, so thank you very much!

I just noticed today that my big toe on each foot had poked a hole through the fabric at the top of my running shoe. I'm wearing the Saucony Women's ProGrid Guide 4, fitted at a running store. They have a thin fabric in the toe area under a plastic(?) honeycomb-type pattern. So, I'm assuming this means something is wrong with my form? Any suggestions? And, any suggestions for patching them up or keeping them from getting worse? They only have 8 weeks and 80 miles on them!

If your shoes feel right and don't cause any pain I wouldn't worry about it. I've worn Mizuno Wave Riders for 6 years now and one year I poked through the top. It hasn't happened again since and the mesh that year was different than it was before or since so maybe it was a material issue.

Even after I started to wear through I managed to put as many miles into them as I have the other pairs of the shoe.

If you have been professionally fitted, I wouldn't worry about it. I have done the same thing several times with several different brands. I think it just has something to do with my foot anatomy and the shape of my big toe. Even if I don't poke through, I will often wear away a hole on the inside. I just checked inside my Brooks Glycerin GTS 11's and they seem to have a layer of sturdy fabric on the top of the toe box which has not yet worn away - good sign. You might mention it the next time you buy shoes and the store may be able to recommend a brand with sturdier fabric. But if your toes have room to wiggle, I think you're good to go. Think of the hole as extra ventilation - ha, ha.

If you have been professionally fitted, I wouldn't worry about it. I have done the same thing several times with several different brands. I think it just has something to do with my foot anatomy and the shape of my big toe. Even if I don't poke through, I will often wear away a hole on the inside. I just checked inside my Brooks Glycerin GTS 11's and they seem to have a layer of sturdy fabric on the top of the toe box which has not yet worn away - good sign. You might mention it the next time you buy shoes and the store may be able to recommend a brand with sturdier fabric. But if your toes have room to wiggle, I think you're good to go. Think of the hole as extra ventilation - ha, ha.

Love it! Thanks to you both! Sounds like just a cosmetic problem, then, so I'm not concerned. Shin splints have always been my problem in the past when I took up running, so I'm trying to be very sensitive to doing anything that will cause injury.

Ditto here - every pair of of Asics I own have a small hole at the toe. I like that, extra ventilation.
enjoy,
Duane

I'm with the crowd... my husband pokes holes in the tops of all of his Asics. He switched to Saucony on his last pair and no hole... I think it just has to do with what material happens to sit over top of where your big toe is, for some people. It doesn't bother him and doesn't affect the function of the shoes, so no big deal.

Another hole poker with Asics. Brooks has the plastic inside toe box and I tried the Brooks but the shoe feel was no good so back to Asics and extra ventilation.

I had 5 pairs of Saucony shoes and every pair had/has holes in both shoes from my big toe. But they were great shoes, no other problems with them.
Now I am wearing Nike Zoom Structure's, no holes yet after almost 160 miles.

Don't worry, just a little extra ventilation and almost like a badge of honor for all those miles you are putting in!

I've had it happen more with Saucony than any other brand. Other than feeling a little strange, they are fine. On particularly cold mornings or in the rain, I've been known to place a little duct tape over hole in a feat of engineering genious.

I too get this with all my shoes, it has to do with how I hold my toe when I run. It seems to happen fastest (for me) with Asics. Brooks hold up better IMO. I now put duct tape on the inside of the top of my shoe to prevent it from happening. I have to replace the duct tape eventually as it moves after a few months.

I go a size bigger than what I normally wear in my running shoes and just tie them differently so they don't slip. No toenail issues or toes poking out at all!

I used to get toe holes from my big toe on all my running shoes. Now I use a product called Shoe Armour and no more holes! The link is below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGI2JAG

51JzHVMoQsL.jpg

Did that once with a pair of brooks, but my hole was on the side by my pinky toe. Ironically I didn't really run in them so much as wear them for work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!