Today We Lost an Important Disney Legend - Marty Sklar

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
Marty Sklar passed away today at the age of 83

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/2...-head-of-walt-disney-imagineering-dead-at-83/

upload_2017-7-27_20-48-4.png

In July 1955, the student editor was recruited to create an 1890-themed tabloid newspaper, The Disneyland News, which sold on Main Street during the Park’s debut year. After completing his education, Marty returned to Disneyland publicity and marketing. There, he established Vacationland magazine.

In 2002, I was able to attend a special event at Disneyland where we had breakfast at Club 33, then we listened to three Imagineers talk about their days at Disneyland in different areas of the park. We heard Marty Sklar on Main Street in front of what was once his office. He told us that one time he forgot to lock his door and a guest wandered in. He chatted with the guest and got some first-hand impressions that he later used to suggest some improvements to the park. After that, he never locked his door again. Every time I pass his old office I remember that story.
upload_2017-7-27_20-55-16.png

This is a sad day for us in the Disney community. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:
OH NO! I've only in the past few years become active in researching and knowing Disney animation and Imagineering history. Had hoped to meet Mr. Sklar at the recent Expo.

Definitely a Disney Legend. Hope more like him follow.

Our hearts are so heavy today. I remember him talking about being told to write Walt's obituary and how he hadn't even known Walt was sick. The shock, the grief... such a moving story. Our prayers are with his family tonight.

What an amazing life he had, bringing joy to millions of people around the world. Imagine the reunion he must be having now!

RIP MR SKLAR....seems like we were just talking with you about the early days. WOW, a big shock.

Jack

Our family was very saddened by this news when we heard last night. My daughter was selected to participate in the Ryman Arts program (Mr. Sklar was one of the founders) and she met him a few times though the program (plus she has two of his books that he signed for her). I also was able to chat with him at her Ryman Arts graduation last year. Very nice man and we will forever be grateful for his work with Ryman Arts. Her participation in that program has led her to attending an art college and hopefully a career in animation in the future.

What a loss. He, along with other older imagineers really seemed to understand what Disneyland was about. I guess it's because they worked with Walt. It was about the experience, the magic, the people. Yes, I know it's a business that has to make a profit to last, but that seems to be just too important these days. (Maxpass, cough cough). We will truly miss such an amazing man! Have fun with Walt, Marty!

RIP Marty Sklar! He contributed so much to the company as a true ambassador of the Magical lands Walt created. He will be missed!

I was JUST listening to the most recent "Connecting With Walt" podcast in which they interviewed Bob Gurr and Bob was talking about Marty Sklar. I'm grateful that we were all blessed with a guy like Marty Sklar in the world. He made it a better place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter