To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Late to the party but DITTO.

Miss you!

Congrats on the sale of your place, Billy. Fingers crossed that construction on your new house goes smoothly and quickly.

Thanks! So far so good. Minor hiccups, but nothing major yet. We did some driving around some neighborhoods about 30 miles west to see something new and found a house we love. Hoping to do some color matching based off of it, but have to see if the builder/developer agree with the color scheme (from cost and aesthetics).

83 Days to Go (Sometimes I Question My Sanity... But my Unicorn told me I'm fine!)

IMG_1684.JPG

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

7/9/18 - M - OFF
7/10/18 - T - 14 miles @ EA (8:14)
7/11/18 - W - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
7/12/18 - R - 14 miles @ EA (8:14)
7/13/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
7/14/18 - Sat - 12 miles @ EB (7:42)
7/15/18 - Sun - 17 miles @ LR (7:25)

Running duration = 9:16 hours
Running mileage = 67.5 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = n/a hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = n/a miles
Total (training) duration = 9:16 hours
Total (training) mileage = 67.5 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = 13/14 (93%)

Monday

Nothing comes to mind.

Tuesday

Took the day off to get the run in in the nicer morning temps. T+D of 136 to 139. As always, because of the heat I decided to follow the scheduled duration instead of the scheduled mileage. If I continuously followed the mileage, then after a hot week I'd be way over the intended training duration for the week. And since this was to be a pretty heavy mileage duration (9+ hours) week, I wasn't interested in adding unnecessary training load.

So 14 miles became 13.18 miles instead. Average pace was an 8:14 min/mile. I kept an eye on the HR instead of the pace for this run since the goal was to make sure it stayed on the faster side of easy (HR of 137). Final average HR was a 136, so a successful easy run.

After the run, we checked out some tile and then met with the builder and developer of the land. The corn field to our west (and future sight of G's middle/high school) is at a little of a higher grade. So they want to make sure we bring our house up a touch too. This means while we purchased a lot with no basement access, because of the hill grade we're actually going to get a full window down there in the northeast corner. So that's a big win since that allows it to be a bedroom space some day in the far off future. Lots of other aesthetics discussed about the home's plot of land and exterior choices. The developer wanted to know what color we wanted to go with, and he said hopefully not grey or blue. We were actually thinking of a grey house which is relatively common in the neighborhood (maybe 30%, with blue being another 25-30%).

Wednesday

Just another easy run at 7 miles. This time on the slower side of easy at a HR of 132. Ended up at a an average pace of 8:47 min/mile with a HR of 131. The T+D was 146.

Thursday

Took another day off from another long easy day. T+D of 135 to 145. Again aimed to keep the duration of the workout on target, so ended up with 13.6 miles instead of 14 miles. The average pace was a 7:54 min/mile with a HR of 137. Kept an eye on the HR throughout and nailed the fast side of the easy (137). At about the 9-10 mile mark is when the run really took a turn. It's been a while since I've had that leg endurance burn. Not out of breath, not running out of leg energy, but simply could feel that medium level hum of fatigue. That's the feeling I've been missing, even though it definitively makes things harder. Didn't help that I had a quick turnaround on the Wed/Thurs run at about 13 hours between runs.

Afterwards, we went driving around a neighborhood quite a bit west of Cottage Grove. And that's when we found it.

IMG_1769.jpg

A house with the right color green siding. We quick ran over to the building supply store and showed them this picture and asked them to find the siding. And after about 30 min of searching through stacks of samples, they found something quite similar. Success! I played around with the siding website and created my own mock-up of the house (it's a rough mock, but I tried).

provia-render-2018_07_12 19_24_18.jpg

The builder is going to get back to us about price on the siding. So fingers crossed.

Friday

An absolute scorcher! It was a T+D of 168. Another easy day (aiming for 60 min). Ended up averaging a 9:00 min/mile with a HR goal of a 132. Averaged a 132, so I was able to stay on target.

Saturday

A super quick turn-around. Steph scheduled us with the appliance guy at 9:00am and the flooring guy at noon. So there wasn't much wiggle room in terms of when to run. Unfortunately the weather wasn't going to play nice either. Woke up at 4am and checked the forecast. There was some heavy rain in the area, but there was a chance I could get my 90 min run in if I was willing to have periods of rain throughout. So rolled out of bed and got ready. Was ready to head out the door at 4:45am and looked outside. I couldn't even see more than 10 feet out the window because it was raining so far. So I gave it as long as I could that would allow me to still finish the run so I wouldn't be late for our appointments.

Got the run started at 5:13am. It was a T+D of 140-146 with periods of light, moderate, and heavy rain. Never know what race day will bring. Thankfully no lightening otherwise it would have made the decision for me. Goal was 90 min of easy running with a HR on the fast side of easy around 137. Ended up with a HR of 135 and a pace of an 8:14 min/mile. I was starting to drag at the end of the run. Not surprising since the turnaround was less than 12 hours and I got minimal sleep. But all in all the paces were tight.

AND it marked a significant milestone in my running journey. 10,000 career miles! The first day I ran was on June 27th, 2012. That was 2208 days ago. Which means I've averaged 4.5 miles per day since I started my journey (obviously not actually running 4.5 miles per day). Can't say that's what I thought I'd be doing when I took those first steps all the way back then. But after 10,000 miles, here I am. On to the next 10,000 miles!

Spent a good deal of the morning with the appliance guy and ended up going ahead with our decisions. I had some choices in mind and felt even more comfortable after the meeting with the choices. I've spent quite a few hours researching each individual item to try and maximize performance while balancing reliability. You never know, but I'm trying my best.

We confirmed our flooring choices with the flooring guy except the tile. I saw some slick tile at the tile store on Tuesday and wanted to show Steph to get her opinion.

Sunday

This was to serve as the culmination of the heavy training week with a 17 mile (125 min) run. Since the T+D was 144-156, then the pace would need to be adjusted and the duration of the workout meant it was more likely a 15.5-16 mile run.

Long Run pace = 7:25 min/mile + 10 seconds (because still in the 1st half of the plan) + 4-5.5% adjustment (because of T+D) = 7:53-8:02 min/mile goal pace.

The sun was also out so it made for a steamy morning. I got up at 5am to eat my pre-run breakfast (bagel+PB+honey and banana). Then I also took in the Maurten Drink Mix 320 again (still working well in my opinion). Out the door at 7:08 am.

Almost immediately, I got the feeling of being mid-race rather than the beginning of the run. Quite a bit of cumulative fatigue going on. But I was determined to push through as will be necessary come race day.

Splits = 8:06, 7:54, 7:57, 7:44, 7:52, 7:55, 7:59, 7:54, 7:54, 7:58, 7:57, 7:56, 8:06, 7:55, 8:00, 8:19 (0.5 mile).

Solid pacing overall while dealing with the rolling hills.

GAP wise = 8:14, 7:44, 7:37, 7:51, 7:42, 7:46, 7:51, 7:56, 7:44, 7:40, 7:50, 7:57, 7:46, 8:01, 7:45, 8:07 (0.5 miles).

I was definitely dragging towards the end. It definitely felt like the last moments of a tough race experience. All in all, ended up with 15.5 miles at a pace of a 7:57 min/mile (with 7:56 not including the first mile which is always slow for me). Hit 13/14 intervals within the pace window. HR of a 139 average. So overall, a solid day.

Highest duration week (9:16 hours) since September 2016. Big difference is this week was exclusively easy. But was able to wrap the 9+ hr week with 67.5 miles.

Took Steph to the tile store and she liked the options better at this place. So hopeful everything lines up with those choices.

Lastly, but not least. Meet Scout!

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.24.27 AM.png

https://kidtraxtoys.com/products/scout?variant=12815523348523

https://kidtraxtoys.com/pages/rideamals

https://www.romper.com/p/kid-traxs-...ds-eats-talks-walks-yes-youre-jealous-9719164

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Volt-...Interactive-Ride-On-Toy-by-Kid-Trax/769580543

Congrats on the 10,000 miles! That's an awesome milestone!

I like the green siding. It's not the same as every single other house, but it's still classy. You might want to look at the windows on the side of your fake house, though.

Yay Gigi! She's great on camera - so cute!

Congrats on the 10,000 miles! That's an awesome milestone!

Thanks!

I like the green siding. It's not the same as every single other house, but it's still classy.

It's very us. Not like everyone else, but still classy.

You might want to look at the windows on the side of your fake house, though.

:P What you don't think crooked windows would look good?

Yay Gigi! She's great on camera - so cute!

:thanks:

Love the green color. I like when houses are different than the norm as long as its not pink. There is a house in our neighborhood with a green door and I always tell DH I want a green door and he is like no.

Love the green color. I like when houses are different than the norm as long as its not pink. There is a house in our neighborhood with a green door and I always tell DH I want a green door and he is like no.

We drove around for a few hours looking at houses. Grey up top, black on bottom, white here or there, etc etc etc. But when we drove by this one her mood completely changed and was like THAT ONE! THATS IT! I knew there was no going back at that point because she truly found the house color she was looking for.

10,000 miles!!! Congrats!

Love the house color, I think it’s understated and classy. Great news about the basement/grading, too.

G did a great job! She’s so cute, and plays her role well!

Alright folks, put those designer hats on and let's hear what you think. This is my "look book" thus far:

Slide1.jpeg

Outdoor lights (both on the far left), can light covers, hallway cage light, powder room fixture, and LR ceiling fan

Slide2.jpeg

Closet lights, upstairs hallway lights (the flat circles), and BR fans

Fixtures.jpg

1st floor Powder room (rustic barn floor OR chevron cottage white?), and upstairs baths (fabric appearance with purple, blues, and greys / the cabinet in G's bathroom will be navy blue with rose gold handles).

Slide4.jpeg

Outdoor of house with 16 in light, wood appearance door (orange cedar color), green siding, tan stone, red cedar shakes, and a dark brown roof.

Slide5.jpeg

Slide6.jpeg

Kitchen appliances (stainless steel), mahogany colored floor, countertops???, cabinet color???

Slide7.jpeg

More countertop options...

So, what do you think fellow designers?

Attachments

• Slide8.jpeg
    Slide8.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2
Alright folks, put those designer hats on and let's hear what you think. This is my "look book" thus far:

View attachment 338117

Outdoor lights (both on the far left), can light covers, hallway cage light, powder room fixture, and LR ceiling fan

View attachment 338118

Closet lights, upstairs hallway lights (the flat circles), and BR fans

View attachment 338125

1st floor Powder room (rustic barn floor OR chevron cottage white?), and upstairs baths (fabric appearance with purple, blues, and greys / the cabinet in G's bathroom will be navy blue with rose gold handles).

View attachment 338120

Outdoor of house with 16 in light, wood appearance door (orange cedar color), green siding, tan stone, red cedar shakes, and a dark brown roof.

View attachment 338121

View attachment 338122

Kitchen appliances (stainless steel), mahogany colored floor, countertops???, cabinet color???

View attachment 338123

More countertop options...

So, what do you think fellow designers?

So I will put my astronomer hat on and encourage you to go with dark-sky-friendly outdoor lighting. A lot of outdoor lights (including samples you posted) disperse a large fraction of their light up into the sky (causing light pollution) or into the eyes of people (causing glare, which can prevent you from seeing that burglar you have the lights for) or into your neighbor's house/yard. Light pollution not only causes everyone to be able to see fewer stars, but research also shows it affects the natural cycles of animals, plants, and humans in a bad way.

You can find out more about lighting that can light the area you want while minimizing light pollution here: http://darksky.org/lighting/residentialbusiness-lighting/ There is also a lot more info about the negative effects of light pollution and poor lighting choices on crime rates, nature, and health on other parts of the website.

Love the outdoor siding/trim/lights! Building can be such fun when it is not super stressful!

Also, congrats on 10,000 miles!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter