To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I hope G gets the part!

I have a total pop star diva dancer singer at home with me. But if I so much as ask her to sing a tiny bit for her grandma or my sister, etc. Noooooope. Haha
She'd be a star if her only audience member was me.

Haha that is the best!! I love that you aren’t pushing her, she seems to love this :-)

I'm here to support and nurture her personality. As long as it doesn't lead down a dark path in life, I'll help her pursue whatever her dreams are. And if she suddenly doesn't like something anymore, then that's fine too.

I hope G gets the part!

I have a total pop star diva dancer singer at home with me. But if I so much as ask her to sing a tiny bit for her grandma or my sister, etc. Noooooope. Haha
She'd be a star if her only audience member was me.

So maybe secret video taping is her key to success.

104 Days to Go (Chicago!)

tenor.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

6/18/18 - M - OFF
6/19/18 - T - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
6/20/18 - W - 7 miles @ EB (7:42)
6/21/18 - R - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
6/22/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
6/23/18 - Sat - 12 miles @ EB (7:42)
6/24/18 - Sun - 12 miles @ LR (7:25) *Cut short to 10.5 miles

Running duration = 6:45 hours
Running mileage = 50.5 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = n/a hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = n/a miles
Total (training) duration = 6:45 hours
Total (training) mileage = 50.5 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = ? (?%)

Monday

Nothing comes to mind.

Tuesday

The beginning of an easy week. Surprisingly things felt pretty good. Overall fairly sore still from the HM the past Saturday, but happy with the day. Average pace of 8:25 with a HR of 129. Outstanding HR v pace with the T+D in the 130s. Starting to feel like I may be turning a corner and things might be coming together in time.

Wednesday

Another easy day where I went for the EB pace. Still a bit sore, but things still also felt good. Average pace of 7:54 with a HR of 136. Great progress with a T+D of 135. The adjustment is right on target for my hope of a current fitness of a 2:58 marathon. The one thing that has been missing during the last training cycle has been that snap and pop in my step. I'm starting to feel that power come back. I've been focusing on improving my sleep pattern and I've upped my calorie intake about 500 calories a day. I'm hoping this continues to put me in a position to succeed during training.

Thursday

Another easy day. Average pace of 8:25 with a HR of 128. Just about spot on with Tuesday's performance. The T+D was 125. Sad someone decided to steal my water bottle.

Friday

Another easy day. Average pace of 8:21 with a HR of 132. The T+D was 126.

Saturday

Still easy, but time to step it up a bit. 12 miles of EB. Excited to turn the wrench another crank. Steph had to be at work at 6am. So it was run at 4:30am and finish before she comes home, our run when she gets home at 6:00pm. I opted for the evening run even though it would end up hotter. T+D was 133.

The goal pace during an ideal EB day is 7:42. Today's adjustment would be around 7:54. I didn't actually check before hand and just went with what felt like EB. Overall a solid run and things really felt good.

7:55, 7:50, 7:49, 7:33, 7:50, 7:44, 7:50, 7:37, 7:50, 7:52, 7:49, 7:43 (with strides)

Average pace 7:47 and HR of 139. The HR is a touch too high at 139 (should be around 136-137). This makes sense given the pace was probably about 7 seconds too fast on average (which would drop that HR by 2 seconds probably). But super happy with the run.

Sunday

A very emotional day. This was to be my last "Bunny on a Pogo Stick run". On Tuesday, we'll be moving out of our house and moving in with my SIL. The next 4 months will be a hodgepodge as we start the process of building our new home. And with that comes the need for a new route. So after 9862 miles training in a single square mile next to my home, it was time to say goodbye for a very emotional end.

I was excited to test out my "snappy" feeling for the weekend LR. The theme for this run was a serious miscalculation on the T+D and the sunlight. See all week it's been in the 120-130s, but the critical part is it has been cloudy on all these other runs. Today was a T+D of 141 with a full sun. A lesson in poor pacing. Goal pace is 7:25 and adjusted pace is 7:40.

7:56, 7:15, 7:22, 7:10, 7:25, 7:26, 7:49, 7:43, 8:01, 8:17, 8:26

Average pace of 7:40 and HR of 141. Funny how things work out. Adjusted pace is 7:40. HR goal range is 138-142. I mean let's be serious. When I threw down the 7:15 and 7:10 I knew I was asking for trouble. I knew the pace should have been around 7:25+ (with that adjustment) so playing in the 7:10 range was going to catch up with me eventually. For miles 7 and 8 I tried to find that right pace (which I did around 7:49 and 7:43). But then someone threw my water bottles away AGAIN (and least they weren't stolen this time). And then I realized if I strung this out to the full 12 miles that I was going to run out of water and put myself in a compromised place. So I decided to slow down and pull the plug. No reason to push too far this early. Just another early learning lesson in the training cycle that the sun dramatically changes the game and I've got to respect the heat moreso moving forward. But overall, a great week and a sad emotional end as it's time to say goodbye to my stomping ground. But that just means it's time to find a new running route!

So we move out of the recovery week and enter the real Daniels training. Starts with my longest M Tempo run ever (12 miles in 6+1+6) and then a fairly standard 3 x 2 miles T on the weekend.

Lastly, went and saw Nick Swardson stand-up comedy. It was my birthday present from a few months back. He's from Grandma's Boy, Reno 911, Chuck and Larry, to name a few. The fun fact we learned was that all 7 seasons of Reno 911 were improv comedy. Not a single line of dialogue was ever written for the show. They were convinced it would be cancelled, so they asked Nick to come up with the craziest character he could think of. They never thought they'd make it past one season let alone seven.

Keep up the awesome work Billy!!! I know change is hard (trust me...my routine of a year ago is not quite the same as it once was, and I was very much a fan of my old routine.) But embrace the new adventure and keep your goals in site. Don't be like me during my last HM cycle when I started to put in less effort because things were all so different. Make running the thing that is your constant!

Happy Monday...Advise you didn't ask for and didn't say you needed :)

Average pace of 7:40 and HR of 141. Funny how things work out. Adjusted pace is 7:40. HR goal range is 138-142. I mean let's be serious. When I threw down the 7:15 and 7:10 I knew I was asking for trouble. I knew the pace should have been around 7:25+ (with that adjustment) so playing in the 7:10 range was going to catch up with me eventually. For miles 7 and 8 I tried to find that right pace (which I did around 7:49 and 7:43). But then someone threw my water bottles away AGAIN (and least they weren't stolen this time). And then I realized if I strung this out to the full 12 miles that I was going to run out of water and put myself in a compromised place. So I decided to slow down and pull the plug. No reason to push too far this early. Just another early

Nice summart to ur week man! On Pacing, I try to start at the T+D Adjusted pace and do a somehks progressive Mp run. Looking at my last run last week, does this work well or should I start at the avg like 7.15 Mi/Mi and keep it there vs starting at 7.31/Mi and doing the last one in 7.00/ Mi? HR or the last three miles suggests I am on threshold?

I hope u find another nice Route man! U will miss ur familiar teritterr.

Many thanks for ur time

Nice summart to ur week man! On Pacing, I try to start at the T+D Adjusted pace and do a somehks progressive Mp run. Looking at my last run last week, does this work well or should I start at the avg like 7.15 Mi/Mi and keep it there vs starting at 7.31/Mi and doing the last one in 7.00/ Mi? HR or the last three miles suggests I am on threshold?

Many thanks for ur time
I don’t think I’ve ever noticed you walking/stopping a run early Tim! You’re consistency and ability to handle the temp is so amazing.

Personally I’ve been trying to slow down earlier in my runs, because once you cross the line there isn’t any going back lol. Lately I’ve been putting my HR on display. Obviously for the first few miles I’m not trying to hit goal HR, but seeing where I’m at helps reconnect effort with reality in this heat. I actually tired last year, and it seems to be the only thing that helped! The joys of marathon training in the summer :-)

Keep up the awesome work Billy!!! I know change is hard (trust me...my routine of a year ago is not quite the same as it once was, and I was very much a fan of my old routine.) But embrace the new adventure and keep your goals in site. Don't be like me during my last HM cycle when I started to put in less effort because things were all so different. Make running the thing that is your constant!

Happy Monday...Advise you didn't ask for and didn't say you needed :)

Thanks! Don't worry about the motivation to keep running. It's running high. Just a matter of trying to carve out the time these days as things will get busy around here. But I'll manage. It'll help that I'm taking off so many days from work.

Many thanks for ur time

Thanks Tim! Depends on how you plan to attack the race. But ideally, you try and run even splits (temp changes and elevation changes notwithstanding). But the #1 consideration to all training runs should be a lack of fade. If you see a fade, it's a sign that the training run was too much to handle. The more "fade" runs that get strung together the more you put yourself at risk. So if you can handle 7:15 throughout, then aim for that. Just make sure things stay consistent within a run and between runs.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed you walking/stopping a run early Tim! You’re consistency and ability to handle the temp is so amazing.

Personally I’ve been trying to slow down earlier in my runs, because once you cross the line there isn’t any going back lol. Lately I’ve been putting my HR on display. Obviously for the first few miles I’m not trying to hit goal HR, but seeing where I’m at helps reconnect effort with reality in this heat. I actually tired last year, and it seems to be the only thing that helped! The joys of marathon training in the summer :-)

It's my belief that a start slow and speed up run, is better than a start fast and slow down. And that's even if they end up with the same average pace. The "forced" slowdown by the body really puts you in a compromised place (likely with running form) and increases the injury risk. But intentionally slowing down in the beginning means you should be calm, collected, and have good form. Big difference if you then are able to speed up towards the end of the run. Using HR can be a useful measurement as long as you pay attention to "lap HR" instead of "instant HR" for the same reasons we prefer "lap pace" over "instant pace".

Depending on how training goes, I'll probably have @CheapRunnerMike and @canglim52 in tow. Although I anticipate Christian is going to be able to push the pace early on. We'll have to see that speed demon transform into an endurance machine though. But no, even without them, I probably won't run with the pace group. I'll rely on myself and let the chips lie where they may. The whole injury earlier this year has definitely put me behind on training so whatever happens happens. I've got a March 2019 marathon picked out that's been super cold historically and might be a good backup for me dependent on how Chicago goes. The goal with this Daniels training is to absolutely HAMMER that marathon pace into my head.

Late seeing this...but mi paca es su paca. My only goal for Chicago is to get you your time.

Missing all of my DIS Running friends! Life needs to slow down so I can hang with y'all again...

I'm NOT the person you want to ask about rotating shoes.... I've got way too many in the queue or current rotation. Off the top of my head I think I have 19 pairs in different phases (8 of which are brand new). But if it were me, yes I would probably have more than two shoes rotating depending on each of their current lives. I like to start a new pair in rotation once the other pair is about 1/2 the way done.

How on earth do you keep track of so many shoes? I haven't even successfully kept track of the mileage on my one (yeah...one) pair of shoes. :oops:

Thanks! Don't worry about the motivation to keep running. It's running high. Just a matter of trying to carve out the time these days as things will get busy around here. But I'll manage. It'll help that I'm taking off so many days from work.

Thanks Tim! Depends on how you plan to attack the race. But ideally, you try and run even splits (temp changes and elevation changes notwithstanding). But the #1 consideration to all training runs should be a lack of fade. If you see a fade, it's a sign that the training run was too much to handle. The more "fade" runs that get strung together the more you put yourself at risk. So if you can handle 7:15 throughout, then aim for that. Just make sure things stay consistent within a run and between runs.

It's my belief that a start slow and speed up run, is better than a start fast and slow down. And that's even if they end up with the same average pace. The "forced" slowdown by the body really puts you in a compromised place (likely with running form) and increases the injury risk. But intentionally slowing down in the beginning means you should be calm, collected, and have good form. Big difference if you then are able to speed up towards the end of the run. Using HR can be a useful measurement as long as you pay attention to "lap HR" instead of "instant HR" for the same reasons we prefer "lap pace" over "instant pace".
Thanks Guys for ur inout. I have never thought of the Lap Heart rate. I have only used instant HR . Let's keep working hard and we will be better than yesterday. ;)

Late seeing this...but mi paca es su paca. My only goal for Chicago is to get you your time.

Missing all of my DIS Running friends! Life needs to slow down so I can hang with y'all again...

I'm excited Mike! Working hard!

How on earth do you keep track of so many shoes? I haven't even successfully kept track of the mileage on my one (yeah...one) pair of shoes. :oops:

Billy is the Spreadsheet King. :)

Like @Dis5150 said I had an Excel spreadsheet that I printed off for each pair of shoes. I liked having the data available, but I didn't sum the runs together to keep myself semi-blind. I wanted to "feel" the shoes get old rather than some pre-defined mileage. Different pairs and different types of Sauconys last for different mileages for me.

But, once we put our house up for sale I stopped tracking manually because I had to take the sheet off the cupboard. So I've gone to completely by feel for the time being. I just retired a pair of Kinvara 8s because they had the smallest defect ever that was causing a sore on my heel.

But yea, I like my spreadsheets... :surfweb:

Thanks Guys for ur inout. I have never thought of the Lap Heart rate. I have only used instant HR . Let's keep working hard and we will be better than yesterday. ;)

Yea I feel like the lap HR might help with the ebbs and flows of a mile to help make things more interpretable.

Yea I feel like the lap HR might help with the ebbs and flows of a mile to help make things more interpretable.
For my purposes I need the instant, I can’t use pace anymore because some days I just can’t hit...even with the most generous windows! At this point every run is by feel, and I just check my HR from time to time to confirm... it’s never low, and if it’s high I just try to check in more with my effort and keep an eye on it. I prefer the lap usually, but I don’t have the luxury of waiting a mile to get feedback... these conditions seem to be extremely unforgiving, and effort seems to exponentially grows the longer I’m out.

For my purposes I need the instant, I can’t use pace anymore because some days I just can’t hit...even with the most generous windows! At this point every run is by feel, and I just check my HR from time to time to confirm... it’s never low, and if it’s high I just try to check in more with my effort and keep an eye on it. I prefer the lap usually, but I don’t have the luxury of waiting a mile to get feedback... these conditions seem to be extremely unforgiving, and effort seems to exponentially grows the longer I’m out.

After today, I definitely have a better understanding. I can't believe you guys have these types of conditions all the time. It's nuts out there.

Wow!!!! Impressive!!!

I'm just kept thinking about all my southern compatriots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter