To go full frame or not...

It's not helpful but from what you've said I think I'd bite the bullet and go FF...sure it's a lot of money and it won't make you a better photographer in my opinion (it will give you more flexibility though), but I wonder if getting another crop sensor would leave you with that nagging feeling still, which ultimately could mean you go FF one day anyway but instead of buying one upgrade now you'll have bought a crop sensor upgrade and then moved on to FF. In addition to this, you've actually got a bit of a head start with some of your glass too.

A final thought; you say about not wanting to spend the money on yourself and I get that. I would encourage you to see it as an investment to help preserve some family memories though, granted you can do that with any camera but I've always thought that if you're inspired by the gear you shoot with you're more likely to shoot more regularly (hence my own transition to Fujifilm cameras, which better the 'shooting experience' for me personally). You could drive to work in a Nissan Micra but it would be a lot more enjoyable in a Ferrari...:car:

G.A.S is a powerful thing my friend!

I'm in the market for a full frame camera I think. My dream camera would be the 5Dmiii but I am having second and third thoughts about it. I've studied till I'm blue in the face the 5Dmii, 5Dmiii, and the 6D plus also have looked at the 80d.

I have graduated from the Canon Xti to the Canon 60d. It is starting to show much wear and sometimes doesn't turn on for several seconds.

Any suggestions out there?

Mike

I've been grappling with this decision all year! I was tossing up going mirrorless with the new Oly, the 5DMIV, the 6D or the 7DMII.
The 5DMIII and II were out of contention because of the fps. They just didn't have enough to match the original 7D (which was my previous body) and I do use that feature a lot (birds in flight, sports etc).

For the record, I didn't actually make a decision. DH just went out and bought me the 7DMII as a birthday present. I think he.....er.....just got tired of listening to me go on about it all year and he just went with the "cheapest" option out of the 4.

That still leaves me with the unresolved feeling that I should be jumping towards FF at some stage. I'm waiting to see what the specs of the 6DMII before working out if I will have another bout of GAS later this year.

Oh yes. One other thing......I also need a money tree. :rotfl2:

I've been grappling with this decision all year! I was tossing up going mirrorless with the new Oly, the 5DMIV, the 6D or the 7DMII.
The 5DMIII and II were out of contention because of the fps. They just didn't have enough to match the original 7D (which was my previous body) and I do use that feature a lot (birds in flight, sports etc).

For the record, I didn't actually make a decision. DH just went out and bought me the 7DMII as a birthday present. I think he.....er.....just got tired of listening to me go on about it all year and he just went with the "cheapest" option out of the 4.

That still leaves me with the unresolved feeling that I should be jumping towards FF at some stage. I'm waiting to see what the specs of the 6DMII before working out if I will have another bout of GAS later this year.

Oh yes. One other thing......I also need a money tree. :rotfl2:

Not a bad hubby. ;)

I will say that the purchase of my 6D 2 1/2 hears ago really did wonders for settling down my own case of GAS. It's been nice that way. Although I do occasionally get a little twinge of it on that rare occasion I need more FPS.

At least that 7Dmii is the perfect companion for whatever FF you eventually get. :laughing:

So I did the one thing I knew I shouldn't do...I went to the store to put it into my hands and get a feel for it. I tested out the 5DMV and the 6D. The 5D felt massive and so heavy in my hands. I don't want to come off wimpy but I wasn't to happy about the thought of lugging it around all day when I go shoot (which is often). I then picked up the 6D and it felt much like the camera I have now. That feeling was a mix of good and bad. I thought maybe it was too close to what I already own but I put it through some paces at the store and it felt right. I found a decent deal and was afforded some extra money buy selling a few photos that just came up and it made the decision much more palatable. The feel and look of a new camera is something out of this world. I read so many articles and reports about the two cameras I narrowed it down to (5Dmiii and 6D). I even thought about moving completely away from Canon and going to a Sony mirrorless camera. Some of the images they produce are absolutely incredible and the thought of a smaller camera has its merits. RE: 5D vs 6D...They came off very close to each other with the big difference in focus points. I then read Ken Rockwell and he put it over the top for me about some of my concerns. With all of your help on these boards and the help of some friends on a different camera board, I feel pretty good about the decision.

I went out shooting around town last night and images I have taken a thousand times felt new to me. I hope this camera lasts as long as my 60d did. Thanks again to everyone out there to take time to give me some input.

Take care!

So I did the one thing I knew I shouldn't do...I went to the store to put it into my hands and get a feel for it. I tested out the 5DMV and the 6D. The 5D felt massive and so heavy in my hands. I don't want to come off wimpy but I wasn't to happy about the thought of lugging it around all day when I go shoot (which is often). I then picked up the 6D and it felt much like the camera I have now. That feeling was a mix of good and bad. I thought maybe it was too close to what I already own but I put it through some paces at the store and it felt right. I found a decent deal and was afforded some extra money buy selling a few photos that just came up and it made the decision much more palatable. The feel and look of a new camera is something out of this world. I read so many articles and reports about the two cameras I narrowed it down to (5Dmiii and 6D). I even thought about moving completely away from Canon and going to a Sony mirrorless camera. Some of the images they produce are absolutely incredible and the thought of a smaller camera has its merits. RE: 5D vs 6D...They came off very close to each other with the big difference in focus points. I then read Ken Rockwell and he put it over the top for me about some of my concerns. With all of your help on these boards and the help of some friends on a different camera board, I feel pretty good about the decision.

I went out shooting around town last night and images I have taken a thousand times felt new to me. I hope this camera lasts as long as my 60d did. Thanks again to everyone out there to take time to give me some input.

Take care!
Woohoo! Huge CONGRATS! :cool1::banana::cheer2::woohoo:party:

I don't think you'll regret it. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Congrats Mike! You're really going to enjoy that new camera on your trip. Can't wait to see what you bring back! :cool1:

Take care!

Awesome! Congrats on the new baby! Have fun and I hope to see many more of your beautiful shots on the Boards.

After shooting some daylight images I feel ok about what it produces straight out of the camera. I still feel like it could be sharper. I'm not sure if its my shooting style or post processing technique. Any advice would be appreciated. I want clarity throughout the frame. When I zoom in on the buildings they still feel pixelated to me.

After shooting some daylight images I feel ok about what it produces straight out of the camera. I still feel like it could be sharper. I'm not sure if its my shooting style or post processing technique. Any advice would be appreciated. I want clarity throughout the frame. When I zoom in on the buildings they still feel pixelated to me.

I assume you're asking about the first picture you posted?

I noticed you were using f/7.1. Might be worth heading back and trying again at f/11 or f/16 to see if it makes a difference with getting the buildings in the background sharper?

Are you using LR and how are you processing the picture?

I look at the images you posted so far. The most recent one looks perfectly sharp. The city-scape does look soft -- but it looks to me like camera shake.

I find that the full frame sensor is MUCH more demanding on photographic technique and on the lens. Lenses that were "good enough" on aps-c, no longer cut it for me on full frame.
In terms of technique, maybe it's my imagination, but I find I have far greater difficulty with camera shake on full frame, and I'm often boosting my shutter speeds to avoid it.

You shot the city scape at 1/125... while that *should* be fast enough to avoid camera shake at 50mm, especially with a stabilized lens... it's still possible you got some camera shake.

Remember also, DOF ends up being much narrower on full frame. So you need to pick your focus point carefully, and you need to stop down more than on aps-c.
On the 6D, at F7.1 and 50mm, your hyperfocal distance is 39 feet. So that's where you need to set your focus to get an infinite depth of field beyond.
(On the other hand, if you shot at 24mm, your hyperfocal would have been a mere 9 feet at f7.1, and if you went ultrawide -- at 14mm and f7.1, your hyperfocal distance is a mere 3 feet).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter