To bring or not to bring...

useakiss

Am I there yet?
...my laptop. Should I bother to take it along on my 9-day trip? Should I risk it if it doesn't fit in the resort safes? Do you bring yours along, and if so why? Or am I just showing my age for still preferring it over a tablet?

DH always brings his on our trips, but he also spends at least an hour a day on it answering work emails from other faculty, staff, students, or community partners. He has a large laptop and the times that it doesn't fit in the in room safe he'll place it on our vans stow and go compartment or in his suitcase. He does a laptop lock that he's used a few times. I prefer my laptop over my ipad but will often bring both. There's always a child who asks to play games on it.

We brought two laptops this summer. One was used sometimes to do MDE stuff and other general stuff when we had down time. The other was my work laptop. We had a couple of days at my in laws house ad a couple of days at the beach near my mother's house

For the most part, we used phones to interface MDE and that worked well.

I always take a laptop on any trip. I have honestly never thought about putting it in a safe. I put it in my suitcase under the clothes. The only time I ever had a problem was when my video card stopped working during the trip.

Does the hotel you're staying at have a business center? You could use their computers if you needed one.

I always take my laptop on a trip. Every night a dump the photos off my camera onto it so I have 2 copies of all photos! I'd hate to lose photos. I also start to organize them for sharing! I'd be lost without my laptop!

Depends on why you want it and how much time you'll have to use it.

On a 9 day trip I'd bring my tablet as I'd have some down time to catch up on my soap opera or see what's going on on here.
For a short trip like I'm going on in a few weeks I will not bother.

My sister has a laptop and would also take it for a trip of 9 days because she'd have time to mess around on it.

We don't put our electronics in the safe.
We just keep them out of sight.

I had to bring my laptop to download photos from our DSLR and videos from our video camera. I had to do it every other day or we would run out of space on the memory cards

My laptop goes where I go. Well, most of the time.

I take it to work and anywhere overnight.

But, I am probably showing my age, because I would much rather look things up on the laptop than my phone.

We always take a laptop and my kids kindles. We usually store them in a drawer or suitcase for organization, but I've never bothered to put them in a safe. I think the only time I've used a hotel safe was a cash-only trip to Atlantic City.

And this one time when my toddler locked something in a safe and we couldn't figure out what it was and had to wait for the 1 maintenance guy with master code to come in and get it open for us. It was a hotwheel car.

FWIW Bell services at every hotel will lock up valuables (such as a laptop) whenever you want - so if you want to bring it, and you are staying at a value or mod where it won't fit in the safe, just bring it to bell services and say you'd like your bag locked up (they won't ask what's in it).
Also, WDW resorts have safe deposit boxes behind the front desk (I know they do at POR, so would imagine at least at all mods and deluxes? maybe values too??). I used one on 1 trip to lock up some valuables. They give you a key, they have the other (just like at your local bank), and it was free. I went into it almost daily. You have to go to the front desk and ask for assistance (not every front desk person can go into the safe dep. boxes).

It wont fit in the safes. Plus its hard to not trust it in your room.
The cast member who is going to clean it is time stamped and marked when they are cleaning your room. For them to steal something and you to realize and complain, they lose their job.

I take mine and a kindle. Mine's a little Lenovo Yoga so not a full sized one. I don't put it in the safe. Normally it's just in it's neoprene cover and on a table. If I'm going to have mousekeeping (I normally only have them mid-trip, I don't need them every night) I'll just put it in a drawer just so it doesn't get dropped if they bother to clean off the table.

Brought mine once and that was it. I didn't really use it and it was a PITA at airport security.

Now it's just phones and tablets for this group.

It wont fit in the safes. Plus its hard to not trust it in your room.
The cast member who is going to clean it is time stamped and marked when they are cleaning your room. For them to steal something and you to realize and complain, they lose their job.

But you would have to prove you had it with you, and that it was in the room when you left. And you would have to go to the hassle of filing a police report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts